Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-17-2006, 01:41 AM   #41
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω

Billie: why hello there Joe, havent seen you in awhile
Joe: yea well, ive been looking at alot of different forums lately, havent stuck to one place
Billie: yea, i know how that goes.. say, did you know there is a guitar player biography thread in the musician talk forum?
Joe: why no, i did not know that. is it good?
Billie: oh yes, quite good indeed.
Joe: well ill go check it out then

*leaving footsteps*........

*returning footsteps*

Joe:why Billie, this is simply amazing! they simply MUST sticky it!
Billie:oh, i agree. it truly is fantastic. i dont see why they havent stickied it already.
Joe:well, maybe its because it doesnt have enough posts.
Billie:why thats proposterous! it has plenty of posts! and surely they know that the amount of posts will skyrocket once it is stickied? yes?
Joe: apparently not, because it has been sitting dormant there for a long time, if i am seeing the date correctly.
Billie: well, what is there to do about it anyway.
Joe:well, you could send a small message to a moderator about it,
Billie:well im sure plenty of people have done that already. i mean just look at how good it is.
Joe: well ill go talk to casualty about it.

*leaving footsteps*
*returning footsteps*
Joe:well, i cant find casualty, hes probably off showing some hot young hippsters what's what.
Billie:hehe, yes, that casualty, always putting the highstrung in their place.
Joe:now now, i do think you really are being too rash.
Billie:well, its only my opinion, hes a good enough man.
Joe:indeed, he is. as well as that redwing suck. quite a fine man indeed.
Billie:agreed. but seeing these fine moderators, and this fine thread, with such pure potential, i simply cannot figure the logic of it. why has it not been stickied?
Joe:well, i cant help you with that one, im stumped as you are. but i can tell you that if its not soon, it might fade away forever. what a shame it would be, too. such a fine thread...
Billie:yes. fine indeed.
Joe:fine indeed......hmm...
Glen'sHeroicAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 AM   #42
coolbassguy
Banned

Find OOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD bass guitar in my grandmas garage (age 13). Play it really badly for a day (break every single string). Grandma's boyfriend who plays in a local band puts new strings on it and gives me and amp. Learn lots of Blink 182. Get better taste in music. Learn Chili Peppers tunes. Start the worst band in the world. Get my dad to buy me a 5-string a year later. Learn more tabs. Learn to slap and pop. Learn theory.
coolbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #43
FretboardToAsh
UG's Wise Man Says

damn lot of stories here, I'll post mine too...

Year 1 & 2
(I'm leaving the piano part out cause I don't know how old I was, I think about 6 or something like that but I'm not sure)

Age of 10, allowed to choose a new instrument to try instead of piano. So I chose guitar, Went to a teacher who's name i'll leave out, tried ussually the last thing in the books wich proved to be quite easy. I also learned johnny b goode by chuck berry( i asked for it )

year 3 - 6

Practice, practice, practice, I've learned a lot of scales. some by ear some due to the internet. i've had to quit the guitar lessons the last year, since you can only have 6 years of lessons there. I've been his longest student and he's said several times that he has nothing more to teach me, wich I still don't believe.

year 6 - 9

joined( and left ) a couple of bands. had a couple of gigs, am currently trying to get 2 bands on their feet. after I've left my teacher and the company he worked for moved away from my place, I went on to start teaching the children in town by myself and am recgonised for it so. I joined UG a while ago, though have known the site for a very long time. learned a lot of course, I know a lot about woods, pickups, floyd and all that stuff. the past years haven't always been fun but I got dragged trough it with the music.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #44
kirbyrocknroll
UG's Cannons King

If this thread was a woman I would consider having sex with it. This thread is full of inspirational and interesting stories
kirbyrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #45
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

*moved To Bandleading*

*stickied!*
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #46
Remebol
Always Sleepy

SWEEET WE GOT THE STICKY lol

So i read a couple of them and i wanted to read some stories about working at a music shop like maybe guitar center or just ur town's guitar store. I want to know how it turned out for you and how it helped your focus on ur guitar (or any other instroment) in the long run.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #47
pratt121
likes coldplay, isn't gay

Wierd that you guys consider age and time so important. I would think influences would be cooler... but what do I know!

I didn't get into music til I was a bit older (16-17) and I think that had a large influence on my taste. I went on vacation with this kid who played guitar and he taught me some stuff and I enjoyed it. I got bitten by the bug. The first band that really got me into music was Coldplay, which kicked open the door to all sorts of British rock: Radiohead, Oasis, U2, Muse... you name it. Before this revolution, I was stuck listening to a lot more heavy things (POD, Linkin Park, Metallica, Incubus) and it was fun to listen to, but it wasn't really emotional, and it never really did it for me. I just never saw myself fitting in there, with that crowd, and eventually I grew tired of it. So for a long time my musical influences were pretty much European, with the exception of Elliott Smith (whose influences are pretty much European so I don't think he even counts) and The Mars Volta.

I think the guy that really got me into being a musician and songwriter was Ryan Adams - I heard some of his stuff and hated the country vibe at first (as I hated country and everything to do with it), but then as I got into some of his earlier albums (Heartbreaker, Love is Hell, Gold ... I recommend them to everyone) I discovered some really great music that not only inspired me as a listener but as an artist. Here was this crazy sound that I loved, but it was SO American, and it was SUCH a big change for me.

After Adams I expanded my horizons a lot more - Incubus made its way back into my regular listening, and I picked up a lot of cool American stuff like Audioslave, RHCP, Ray Lamontagne, stuff like that. Then I went full circle and brought the rock aspect back to Europe.. so now I'm listening to a lot of Rolling Stone-ish and Stone Roses-ish bands.

I guess the point is, you need to have influences as a musician, or you get lost. And you need to have many, or you're a clone. My songwriting and general appreciation for music has gotten a lot better over the last year or so, between studying theory and just maturing more musically. I feel like I can follow a clear path, down the line and understand why EXACTLY I liked what I did.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #48
Remebol
Always Sleepy

i really dont know if i agree with that at all. I never listen to music ever, not becuase i dont choose to but becuase i have nothing that will play music except this cd player hear that i only use to learn songs i need to know for my band. Other then that i like sitting in the quite, its really peaceful and it releives me for some reason. I dont need influences to make my songs, i can just be my self and surely something will happen. I feel like if i listen to a band for to long ill just start making songs that are the exact style as them. I feel like if i listen to to many bands ill just get intimidated and be to pressured to think of great hits. I dont think you need to be like the next band to get you where your going, but to just play what your ears want to hear and people will like it or they dont. You will be suprised a lot of ppl like my style, becuase it varies all over the place.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #49
itson!
ker-flah!

7 years old- Guy Gives me guitar because i show interest in it. Says to me"come back when you've learned a song."he never saw me again
13- Actually started getting serious about guitar after wanting to play Korn and SOAD since i heard them in '99 and '01.
13- Took lessons with a guy namned Tom from a band called Gypsy Fly. He had toured on the warped tour. told me if he could he would have me on the third year program at the end of my 10 weeks. Said I was the most promising student he ever had.(im not kidding)
14- Got into a band with friend Ang. Found another guitarist namned Josh. He seemed to be better than me.
14- Around November i surpassed Josh in the skill area.
14- I got a new Guitar and Amp for x-mas. i got a Samick Greg Bennet Signature series guitar and a Drive G120 Amp.
14- Band Finally finds a drummer. But he cant do cover songs right.
14- Shortly after i find i have mastered every SOAD song ever recorded.
14- Sits at computer and types this up.

#7 Member of "The Mars Volta Fan Club"
itson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #50
imdwalrus
UG's Woodchuck

Kirbyrocknroll, that was the most amazing story I have ever read. It was kind of like a chick flic, i'm gonna cry now.

Alright, well when I was 10 i asked my dad to teach me some guitar (cuz you know, he played) and he taught me a few chords and after about 3 months I knew basic chords (all the letters and their minors, plus some more) and I played around with them for about two years. That's right, two years. I just never really put in the effort to learn more and my dad wasn't really all that good and he didn't know that much himself. But then, when I was about 12 or so, I started searching the internet for tabs and lessons and I started getting into theory, and since then, I've lifted off and never slowed. I'm 14 now, and have been playing for almost 5 years (although I can say almost 3 years because of my very slow start). Even though I'm not in a band, I have some friends who play and we usually fool around at parties (acoustic).

My guitar history is that my dad had a Fender Strat, but it isn't very good. So I played that until last February when I bought a Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series. That's the only guitar I have bought with my own money. My dad also has a Taylor 414-CE (acoustic) and I love it. Right now I'm saving for a Baby Taylor so I can take it to parties because I don't wanna take the 414 to places where it's exposed to possible danger. Other guitars include a Takamine that my brother took to college (bastard), an Aranjuez that I actually bought in Guatemala (Central America for you idiots). It's a thin-style cutaway. I also have a crappy (very) nylon string guitar that I think is a Palmer.

Yep.
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
imdwalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #51
acrocks
blank space

I've only played for about 2 and a half years so the last year should be a bit shorter

Year 1
I picked the guitar up in december 2003, it was my brother's old acoustic guitar and for christmas i got a book to start learning by myself. I started doing simple chords and i think i learnt the eastenders theme tune heh. Anyway i mainly wanted to pick up a guitar because my friend had been playing, notice i was 14 at the time and i'm not as easily manipulated as i was then. I played for a bit got through a couple of teach yourself guitar books and finally i wanted an electic, i got it from ebay where me and my dad went halfsies on it.

Year two, i forget where abouts my second year started but it was probably around this time
I remember that around christmas 04 i had joined UG and had been using it for tabs and such before then. At this time i was playing the whole of the darkness' i believe in a thing called love and thinking i was the best thing to have walked the planet. Even though i didn't really know what i was doing. I had also joined my first band which broke up after a couple of practices. It was also this year i started getting in to metal, mainly metallica at first but thanks to this website my metal knowledge spread.

Many months later around septemberish i started the band i am in know. We play heavy metal mainly but like to experiment. It was also the time i took up guitar lessons where all my techniques were corrected and enhanced. With him i was able to learn about blues and started liking it. I learnt my blues and pentatonic scale fast and started improvising with them

Year three
Over christmas and all the way to may, i eased down my playing to just a couple of hours a day because i had my AS exams and had to revise for them. However during that period my guitar teacher sent me to another one who would make me a lot better, lo and behold i am a lot better than i was a couple of months ago. Now i have just started learning the different modes of a scale and using them to improvise
Old 07-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #52
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor

I have trouble remembering things before high school, so bare with me:

Pre-adolecents:

The earliest footage of me playing an insturment is at 1-2 years old. My parents bought me a lot of "toy" instruments when I was young. Also when I was young, I had teenage neighbours who were big into hair metal (This was late 80s-early 90s) and they had a guitar I would mess with. At 8-10 I feel in love with Aerosmith and begged my parents to buy me a guitar. My mom got one at a yardsale for 2 dollars but I never played it.

Middle school (Age 12-14):

I then joined the percussion section at my middle school and learned how to play snare drum. I then knew I wanted to have music as a career, although I thought a band director was the only music job out there. BTW, I realized just a few years ago that my middle school band director was the biggest dick in the world. I seriously would him out if I saw him now. Didn't motivate students at all or would show no interest if I request to learn harder material. I consider this the biggest waste of my music career.

High School (Ages 15-18) :

Go on to high school band, get over my shyness. I emerge in the school band and quickly become one of the school's best musicians. It was also at this time where I started to learn guitar and formed my first band. At 17, it was obvious that I was going to go somewhere and would impress people. Unfortunately I never really left my town and was too much absorbed in my own thing. I was excepted at Berklee College of Music but pushed back my year of entry. In my 18th year, I just spent that time practicing like crazy. Although I later learned I was practicing the wrong things.

Berklee (Ages 19-21):

This was the time of my life. I meet so many great people there and learned there is much more to music than what I thought. I really worked on my songwriting craft, practiced drum set like crazy, became a studio session player for film scores, was one of the only percussionist there who played classical. So much more, but I'll keep it simple:

Now (Ages 21- 22 "Present"):

A month after coming back from Berklee, I started playing my first paying gigs with an acoustic guitarist/singer. We had an awesome gig at a pool bar in Ocean City, MD. 50 Feet from the beach. The pay and hours weren't bad either. I also started managing a band my friends were in although they broke up after I left (I left because of conflicting views with the bassist..last I heard he was moving furniture and working the counter at a video store for a living!)

After they broke up, another band formed out of that one where I started playing keyboard/laptop in. We had a pretty succesfful run. In the spirng I started working on my children's album which will be professionally recorded in the fall. Also in May I joined another band playing drums which gigs 3-4 times a month and pays "semi-decent" We are looking to play bigger venues soon.

Future (Ages 23-Whenever)

I'm hoping to go back to Berklee next Fall, because things are happening there. If not , I'm going to apply to work as a staff writer for some children's music companies. If that doesn't work, I need to move to play percussion in bigger cities and see what happens from there.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #53
Aidy Damage
Somewhat Damaged

In secondary school I was a bit of a misfit in my year group, but I had some friends in the 2nd year group up from me. In my first year (2001) my friend Kay showed me a few tracks from InMe's album, Overgrown Eden (hadn't come out yet. I think she was friends with someone who knows the band or something) and I was pretty much hooked. I'd never really cared much about music before, because I thought it was all just that R&B **** that's on the radio. This stuff was different- everything I hated the music I'd heard for lacking was all embodied in these songs- emotion, feeling, and ACTUAL instruments. For the following 2 years I decided to find more rock music, which lead me to Good Charlotte, Marilyn Manson, Muse and other bands in 2003 which inspired me to pick up a guitar. I still remember it being the last day of school when I met a guy who shared the same passion for music that I did, and I picked up the school's knackered old Hondo Les Paul copy, held it up the wrong way and decided 'hey, this is pretty cool!'. That September I convinced my mum to buy me a Squier stratocaster and a Fender Frontman amp that I saw in an Argos catalogue. I picked up the basics pretty quickly and began jamming with friends.

A few weeks later, me and Steve, the guy I met on the last day of school, decided to start a band called Devildawn. We were, in a word, fairly ****E to say the least, but isn't everyone's first band? After a few jamming sessions, we decided that we needed a drummer, which brought me to meet Kieran, who would become my jamming partner to this very day! I met him during our school's lunch hour, when I went to Practice Room 3 which I had booked several days before so I could have some practice alone. To my horror, there was this year 7 kid on the drums, so I tried to tell him to go away, seeing as I'd booked the room. However, after a failed attempt to tell him to feck off, we had a jamming session that went SUPRISINGLY well! Turned out he'd been drumming for 5 years and was pretty damn awesome, so me and Steve got him to join Devildawn.

After mowing through several singers, we eventually found our voice in Charlotte, who joined in '04. It wasn't after too long that she and Steve started to fall out with each other, so Steve was dropped and we brought in Han, a friend of Charlotte's brother, to fill Steve's spot on bass. After changing the band name to Midnight Conspiracy and writing a load of entirely new material, we became a pretty solid band. Things only started going wrong when Charlotte didn't turn up to the studio on the day we were due to record our debut EP, 'Self'. We decided to record without her, with me on vocals. In hindsight, this wasn't such a great idea. She fell out with all of us and left the band, leaving me on guitar and vocals, Han on bass, Kieran on drums, and Charlie, Charlotte's brother, on studio backing vocals. With me not being such a great guitarist at the time, we appointed the talents of a guy called Simon on lead guitar. To be honest, we were off to a pretty good start with this new lineup, but things somehow deteriorated.

Now bandless, me and Kieran kept on jamming and coming up with new music. It wasn't until April 2005 that I saw an advert in Kerrang! from a girl named CJ who lived in the town nearest to my village who was looking for a band. I called her up, we met up, and we decided to start a band. We started out with me on guitar, CJ on drums, a girl called Kash on vocals and a guy named Ed on bass. Sadly, it didn't last long. Creative differences got in the way, so Kash and Ed left, leaving me and CJ. After a little hiatus, and whilst still jamming with Kieran, I decided to gather my mind and have a think about where this could possibly lead.

I kept in close contact with both Kieran and CJ throughout the summer, but it wasn't until I was on holiday that I started working on some lyrics and thinking really hard about my musical future. I was a pretty good guitarist now, and I had a lot of ideas in my mind that I wanted to put to music... which lead me to call CJ and Kieran up one night from the holiday park's payphone and ask if they felt like having a jam as soon as I got back from holiday (I was in Devon- awesome place). We decided that CJ would be fulfilling her dream of being the band's guitarist and lead vocalist, Kieran would be the drummer and I would be on bass, seeing as bassists are hard to come by around our area! That very night I woke up in the middle of the night, picked up a pen and a notebook, and wrote down 4 entire songs, one of which became our first song.

So soon enough we were jamming at CJ's place under the name Newborn Theory. Within the first 15 minutes we'd written our first song, Apathy, using lyrics I'd wrote that night on holiday. After a few rehearsals we were sounding as tight as a gnat's arse, and we were, for the first time in a long while, genuinely happy with where our music careers were going! We played a small show/party in CJ's house (Kieran still has the tape!), and soon after we decided that we should get gigging in our local area. Our one obstacle, however, was Kieran's age. Many local venues had a 16 and up policy, and Kieran was only 13. In perhaps the WORST decision I've ever made as a musician so far, me and CJ decided to sack Kieran in favour of someone older. We brought in Tez, a drummer who CJ knew from college. To celebrate my 16th birthday, Newborn Theory played their first gig at The Palomino in Newmarket with local bands General Lee and Pimento. After a pretty shabby set, General Lee's fronman Matt decided to help us out, becomming our manager and lead guitarist. After getting us tighter, better and overall stronger as a band, we took to the stage at Cambridge's Portland Arms, the city's most noteable venue for unsigned bands. Things fell apart soon after though, with Tez's drug problems getting in the way and forcing the band into a very unhappy situation where we felt totally out of control. The final straw came when I developed a repetitive strain injury in my shoulder from the weight of my bass (I have quite a skinny frame), forcing me to give up bass and go back to playing guitar, which is much lighter. Under the impression that I was being a 'drama queen', Matt fell out with me. It was after this that I reconsiled with Kieran and we set to work on some new material.

Several months passed, and things were starting to get off the ground. In April, a friend of ours, Robi, got curious about what me and Kieran were doing so we asked her if she'd like to sing for us. We booked a rehearsal at The Lockup Rehearsal Studios later that week, and we got a song done. After a few rehearsals, things started to take shape and we adopted the name 'The Damage Case'. After a little while, we found our bassist, Abi, and the lineup was complete. We recorded a demo of 3 songs, which we gave out at the local fair the following day. It didn't take us long to realise from listening to the recordings that Robi's singing was totally out of time with everyone else, and she only wanted to see the band's music from her point of view, so she was sacked. Immediately, I took up vocal duties and we began writing and rehearsing some new material, as well as a few Newborn Theory songs. We recorded a 3-song demo, the 'Black Rose EP', after just a few practices. On July 13th 2006 we played our first gig as The Damage Case at Cellar Bar 8 in Cambridge, which went amazingly well. 2 days later, we played at a benefit gig at The Cherry Tree in Soham, which brought to light how strong we are as a live band.

That Sunday, conversation was beginning between myself, Kieran and Abi about focussing on pinning a certain 'sound' that we could be recognised by... which brought me back that first InMe record that I heard those years back. The next day, I went to town and bought the album that started it all for me and promptly showed a few songs (Underdose, Firefly, Crushed Like Fruit, Neptune) to my bandmates, as well as a few songs by Muse (Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome) and Deftones (My Own Summer, Be Quiet And Drive, Engine #9). With Abi loving the groovy drop D riffs and Kieran loving the metally sound, we had decided on the new direction that we would take as a band.

Our next plan? In the coming month we're going to be writing and recording some new songs in our new, heavier style- we've finally found a sound that we're ALL happy with, and the future can only get better for us!

Man, that was LONG.
Aidy Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #54
Y.D.P.B.C

This is pretty self-indulgent, but it's fun so here we go:

Everyone in my house sings, firstly. It's like a ****ing musical!!! If you say something like, "it happened once.... no twice", then someone is guaranteed to pop there head out, and in perfect tune go "three times a lady", and continue to finish the whole bloody song.

My first real musical experience, gay as it is, was in my primary, when they brought in these bells that you get to hold two of, and ring them. Anyway, it tought me how to read sheet music so whatever i guess.......

My parents worked, so after school i had to go back to this childminders house. One time (i was about 8 years old), they were clearing out tonnes of crap from their attic, and out came this old keyboard, anyone who plays keyboard probably knows about Yamahas, and this thing was ancient, the spec was PSR-2. Anyway, i asked if it still worked, they didn't know, but i plugged it in, and started noodling about on it. They didn't need it, so i asked if i could have it, obviously they said yes, get in! So, this piece of crap keyboard was my pride and joy for the next 18 months. I got one of those 'teach yourself' keyboard books, and i did exactly that, until i finished the book and didn't know what to do.

I got a teacher, and he helped me out a LOT. bitched up my played big style, and was playing higher music, by my first year in high school (so that's 5 years ahead of schedule). I got a new keyboard along the way too.

All the meanwhile i had been listening to music like Linkin Park, and Nickleback, you know, bands that were cool when you were 9 and 10. But then (oh dear god, what was i thinking), rap music took off in my schoo, and me being 'cool' just had to embrace it didn't I. Bloody hell. My musical interest waned because of this ****, and keyboard took a back seat to rap and sports. Something needed to happen. It did.

One of my best friends at the time was doing the same thing, but he had an older brother, praise the lord, who intervened and showed him the way to go. So my friend reminded me of what i used to listen to, along with introducing me to Maiden!! So, about 4 months down the line, i bought a little acoustic guitar, and was playing away for hours on end, learning from yet another "teach yourself guitar" book. We formed a band too, and i bought a bass, learning to play it thanks to our band's guitarist who was rather good.

Soon, (about 13 now), i got bored of playing 'twinkle twinkle little star' though, and at chirstmas 2004, i was at a party where a guy had an ibanez S. He tought me some Greenday songs, and how to play powerchords, and then i was hooked. It was all guitar from then, i got bored of bass, and was always playing my little acoustic instead.

But then, my band's guitarist had to move to Canada, so, i sold my bass, bought an Ibanez RG instead, and started rockin' out on electric guitar. We fired our singer soon, cause he was being an arse, and eventually, i was singing for the band. I was **** at the time, but i would say I'm pretty good now. Soon, i was writing songs, at which point my keyboard interest was sparked again.

I was playing a lot of keyboard and guitar. I'm now coming up to a Grade 8 keyboard exam, and my guitar and band are getting along fine. I got a new RG, and the band started gigging. We're **** hot, haha. This is our band now. I don't think it will, or can change. I'm 14 now. and here it goes on...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.

Last edited by Y.D.P.B.C : 07-21-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Y.D.P.B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #55
JRSB
James

Ive been into the music scene for pretty much all my life... well i dont remember the time i was built but i remember being plugged in. It really started when i played a Flock of Seagulls record. It was a great career untill 2 months ago, I was sold to a Hungry Jacks store and now im a ****ing ornamental piece...
JRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #56
mikeman

^WTF
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #57
cold_static544

started when i was 11.

my sis was the one who taught me how to play the guitar. i remembered i started at the 9th of august 1999. On a classical guitar my mom had for years. So i started strumming chords n stuff. 1-2 years passed and i was still strumming chords. It was at this time when i developed most of my rhythm chops.

I first learned electric guitar at 13 and it was real bad cos i didnt have an electric guitar at that time. and played all stuff with an acoustic. memories lol. First song learnt was original prankster by the offspring and californication. Tough times, having to play stuff on an acoustic, and soon i got a starter pack. and i starting jamming along with stuff in my room all day.

when i was 15 i started to get into trash metal, and learnt a whole bunch of metallica stuff. musically, it was somewhat like a breakthrough cos i got outta that pop stuff. got into other stuff like pantera n all, but still within the trash metal genre.

there also came a time where i just improvised like hell. alone, with a backing track or whatever. this was the time when i started to sharpen my technique, and develop a musical ear, as well as familiarity with the fretboard. I started learning how to shred, and working on my picking. learnt summer song by satch at this time, the first shred song i've ever learnt. I've also slowly gotten into prog stuff, DT, opeth and stuff.

16. Musically at this time, i've gotten into pop again, this time chinese pop. it was a huge turn in musical direction, but somehow it taught me a thing or two about music and has somewhat loosened me up abit and make me less of a musical snob. Guitar playing-wise it has evolved in a separate direction. Started learning a bunch of theory n stuff. but still somewhat not as active as before.

when i was 17, i started drifting into japanese rock (jrock) and i joined a jrock band. I've decided to join a band only after 6 years of playing was because, i seriously did not feel part of any of the genres of music i was into. And i joined cos i felt that jrock was neither too difficult nor easy, felt that i could manage it. Liked it also cos it somewhat had all elements of music i listened to, heaviness, accessibility and decent musicianship.

so now im 18, 7 years of playing. getting into jazz and fusion. in fact, i've started getting into jazz since 16. And yea, life goes on.

and its called distorting
cold_static544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #58
TheUnholy
Unholier than thou...

YEAR ONE:
My musical career started at the age of two, when my parents exploded and I left to be raised by a tribe of plastic spoons. The tribe elder, King Hoop, played the mandolin on special occasions, and every time I saw him pluck out gentle spoony melodies with such tender love and devotion, I knew one thing for fact - I NEVER wanted to play the goddamn mandolin

YEAR TWO:
By now I was three, and ready to leave the spoons to seek my fortune. So I packed myself a bag of herring pancakes, and left Cutlery Village for ever, accompanied by the sounds of crying spoon maidens. Along the way I passed Joe Satriani heading to a guitar lesson with Billie Joe Armstrong, and observing how shiny his guitars were, persuaded him to trade one of them for my left foot, which he had taken a fancy to. The guitar in question was a triple-necked Ibanez left-hander, but I loved it, and I swear it loved me too.

YEAR THREE:

I continued to practice on my unusual axe, and by my four-and-a-halfth birthday could play Greensleeves without using my fingers.

YEARS FOUR TO EIGHT:

My musical advancement progressed very little during these years, as I was asleep.

On the plus side, my foot grew back.

YEAR NINE:
I woke up, and was instantly challenged to a duel by an Ogre named Harold. He beat me by playing Come As You Are (at this time I could only play simple songs such as Vengeance and Bad Horsie), and I had to surrender my beautiful guitar.

YEAR TEN:
Worked in a downtown coffee shop as a hoover engineer, and by the end of the year had saved enough money to buy myself a 200-watt Marshall amp and a Les Paul. Unfortunately, however, I couldn't afford a cable.

YEAR ELEVEN:

Using a rattlesnake as a cable, I practiced on my nice pretty guitar, and learned the Minor Petatonic scale and the Can-can. I succesfully auditioned for a part in Metallica, but let Hammett keep the role as I felt sorry for him.

YEAR TWELVE:

Nothing happened.

YEAR THIRTEEN:

Learned how to play the song of the common chaffinch, which made me so ridiculously happy that I forgot to brush my teeth for a month. I also learned to play drums, sax and theremin.

YEAR FOURTEEN:
Forgot how to play drums, sax and theremin, as they're boring. Ate mince for breakfast every Thursday.

YEAR FIFTEEN:
Traded my Les Paul for a cheap Strat copy, moved in with a normal family, forgot many of the harder parts of my repertoire, and now I stand before you as the man I am today.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
TheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #59
OpposingForce

Long read

Musical Beginnings
Ok this is how its how my musical life started. I was in 3rd grade, and I was in the recorders class..where we all, played recorders (the instrument). The teacher told us 4th grade was the year they started recruiting for the school band, and I was interested. I told my parents and they highly recommended I joined the band. I remember sitting down with the paper which asked which instrument I wanted to play, and I couldn't decide. My dad recommended drums, which I was not to sure about at first. So he put me on the phone with his friend from his job, who played the drums he's like 'Yea man u should totally play the drums, it teaches u rhythm of music and stuff like that'. So it was settled. I signed up, went into 4th grade and joined the band as a drummer.

Musical Life starting to take shape
When I went to junior high I met a drumming specialist (and as I later found out, he was also a talented, very experienced multi-instrumentalist) that the school had hired who had been a traveling performer in Venezuela, and composed many pieces. The next year, in 8th grade, I joined the percussion ensemble. We did a few gigs at other schools and had a lot of fun. I stayed in that until I graduated from junior high. Around the beginning of 8th grade, I found out he did private lessons. I signed up. It was pretty expensive, about 30 dollars for a 35 minute lesson, but he came to my house rather than vice-versa. In 9th grade, I somehow got interested in playing guitar and convinced my parents to buy me an Ibanez Gio (which I still have today) and a Crate GX-15 amplifier. I practiced for a little while, but got bored since I didn't know how to play (you can only be entertained by strumming the strings without fretting for so long!!). Then my private teacher noticed the guitar sitting on the stand, and offered to teach me guitar as well. Now we were talking an hour lesson, 50 bucks a pop. I learned drums and guitar simultaneously for about 4-6 months. I learned songs from the beatles, and other classic rock, my teacher often encouraged me to buy an acoustic to start with, but my parents weren't thrilled with the idea of spending more money to buy another guitar, so it didn't happen.

A hiatus..and a new inspiration
Then came the high school years. Things were getting pretty hectic, with schoolwork and social life of highschool, and the price of lessons was getting steep. So we had to cancel lessons with my teacher. I never saw him again. I hadn't touched the guitar since the end of 9th grade either. I played in the school band in 10th grade, met one of my best friends there. But unfortunatly he was a senior and graduated at the end of the year. I came back in 11th in the band, but nothing felt the same. Most of my friends were gone, dropped out of the band, or just never showed up. I went to my guidance counselor and told him I wanted to drop band. My parents were very disapointed, and I was feeling bad about myself, and when my mom asked me why, I just kept saying "I know I just don't have a future with music, so there's no point.". My band conductor/teacher was very dissapointed as well, he even called my mom at her job to ask what was up. My music life sat still for a year...both guitar and drums faded out of my life for the time being...then as 11th grade drew to a close, I began to notice the guitar more. One day around the last weeks of school, I was watching some live videos of Nine inch Nails really tearing up the stage. I was like wow look at that guy playing guitar...I want to do that someday! I picked up the guitar and started ripping on it. I brought my guitar and amp up into my bedroom, near my computer. I began looking up online lessons, some guitar tabs for my favorite songs, and tried to play them.

Now
It's been 3 months since that point, I'm still practicing many hours a day, trying to improve my guitar skills. Looking for bands, new equipment, working a job to try to afford a new guitar and amp. I've even been looking into learning the piano/keyboard. So far I'm cruising along, trying to get my music life back on track, trying to get back to doing something I love. I'm going into 12th grade in a few months, and then off to a college (community college, then transfer to a university to take the other 2 years). Lately, I've been becoming more and more interested with a future in music...such as playing in a band (like a serious one, but my mom doesn't seem to be too entralled with the idea, haven't asked my dad what he thinks yet)...hopefully I do end up with a career in music, so that I can tell this story to an audience of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions one day.

As for the drum set, it's still downstairs collecting dust, maybe I'll go down there and play for a bit just like old times

Last edited by OpposingForce : 07-27-2006 at 10:24 PM.
OpposingForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 AM   #60
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω

hey Redwing,,,, it was my sketch wasnt it?? that got it stickied... it was, wasnt it... i knew it.. ill just take your silence as a yes.
Glen'sHeroicAct is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: