Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #61
Ernieball
Theory Geek

I think I started when I was around 7 or so. I got a little beginners acoustic guitar for chrstmas and started learning some of the basic chords. When my uncle cam home for a visit he played for my family(he had 17 years expierence at the time) and he was playing all this Led Zeppelin and Randy Rhoads stuff and that really turned me onto rock style picking and stuff. The first song I ever learned besides chords was Everybody Hurts - REM, that was when I was about a half year into playing.. took a hell of a lot of practice too. Later that year my uncle told me something about tab so I went and found some on the net. started learning a lot of the basic rock songs like smoke on the water, and stuff like that. I think it was my third year into playing when I sold every video game and counsel just to get my own electric guitar. It was a real ****** samick electric, it was falling to pieces but i play that thing for hours a day. In the next few years I started learning so more harder stuff than the beginner stuff. Durring those years I started Jr. High School and went in the band program playing french horn, played first horn all through those years. The last year in Jr. High I started picking up other instruments, and I ended up playing horn, trumpet, tennor sax, bari sax, bass, guitar, and piano throughout my 3 years in Jr. High in my schools jazz band. Also throughout those years I got my first amp, and i'm still stuck with it. It's a Behringer practice amp 16watts. My mother also played guitar, and she stopped durring those years and I eventually got her beautiful takamine acoustic. In my last year of Jr. High I worked my ass off doing 14 hour shifts for a bit and I got myself my current axe, a OLP MM1 Axis model. I might also add that I got the award from my Jr. High School for concert and Jazz band. That takes me to where I am now. Im Starting High School this fall(high school starts at grade 10 here) and already got promised a spot in the senior jazz band at that school, and the senior jazz band in our town. I also had a Brass Quintet group going throughout my Jr. High years, we're going to different schools next year but trying to keep together. I'm fully self taught other than a few tips from my uncle over the years. I've gone from Everybody Hurts - REM to As I Am - Dream Theater in 7 short years, and now currently starting up a band. Well I think thats it. Thanks for reading a kids story

Ernieball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #62
V(SG)X

When I was about 5 I started to mess around on my grandmother's piano. Since this took place at my grandmother's house I was learning church hymns and Christmas songs (I could play a mean "Jingle Bell Rock!").

Around 7 I would mess around on my Grandfather's harmonicas, but never really got past "When the Saints Go Marching In."

At 11 I was over at an older friends house where there was an acoustic. My friend didn't play very much, but he showed me a couple of basic chords. Then I found the wonders of ultimate-guitar about a week later. I had to teach myself how to read tabs, which sucked until I found an explanation.

THE FIRST SONG:

You guessed it... "Stairway to Heaven"

After I could read tabs I would learn new styles of playing and techniques from the various songs I would learn. I would practice constantly, because I could finally play the type of music that I wanted to play (i.e. Classic Rock).

I got my very own acoustic guitar for my next birthday from my grandparents (not the aforementioned set). Then my momma got me a cheap Kramer electric (which has since been sold), and my cheap pawn shop blown out Crate 15W practice amp. Then I got my SG. Then I saved up for freakin' ever giving guitar lessons, and got my VOX amp.

At about 15 I discovered blues, which I have really been getting into and still am exploring. Blues has really shaped my over all style and approach to writing and playing music. I started to improv too.

I am now 16 and have since picked piano and harmonica back up to delve into the Blues.

Last edited by V(SG)X : 07-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.
V(SG)X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #63
Zen5887
Oz-Kid

I was really ignorant and dident know about bass till I heard some system of a down songs. I would listen and think "whats that really cool sounding deep guitar thing" and I later found out that it was a bass guitar. That night I listend to lots of songs and heard the bass...and felt really stupid... I then had a major obsestion with bass for about 3 years. I allways got asked if I played anything and I allways said I wanted to play bass. My cosuan (whom is quite a mad guitarest) told me about guitar pro and I was looking at basslines and seeing which ones would be easy and hard (even tho i had no concept at all about how hard they were)

I got a job in 05 and had quite a bit of spare cash so I decided to get a bass guitar. So I got my mum to drive me to the local 2nd hand shop (as I dident have that much money...I dident work that hard) and I got a 2nd hand Samick bass and a 40watt amp (aswell as some headphones). I got home loaded up guitar pro and relised that playing wasent as easy as I thorght.

After a while I learn some songs (Cradle of filth - Nymphetamine was the first one I learnt) and after a while longer I learnt them well. When the new school year started my drama teacher was talking about the music program they had (Brass and woodwind mainly) and I asked if I could do Bass the teacher accepted but I had to join in with the flute class as it was the only class that was not full. So I went to a few lessions and learn some music theroy and some Jazz and Blues.

about 6 monthes since I got my Bass I have a 300 watt Behringer bass amp, im in a band, im in the school band and my girlfriend is one of the girls in the flute lession.

The moral of this story is music brings people together.

Peace
Zen5887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #64
Evan Von Himmel
Intellectual Love God

It was back in 1993 when I decided to learn guitar. I bought an electric AriaProII JS (red) -a very cheap instrument but good enough for a begginer. I had no patience to take some music lessons -with all these "blah - blah" theories- so I asked a friend of mine who knew to show me some chords. So I started playing some "easy" punk stuff for about 8 hours a day - and with no amp! A few months later I bought my first amp -a Squier 15W- and an Arion Distortion pedal.
Then I joined a punk band - but there was really "no future" on it!
In 1997 I bought my second guitar: an Epiphone Firebird (red, again!), which has a pretty nice clear sound and a very "buzzy" distorted one -and which now is my back-up- and some more pedals.
In 1998 I bacame a member of a Greek-Rock band for about 6 months and then I formed a dark wave/ gothic band ("Dreams For Ashes"). We were two guitarists and one bass player and we used a drum machine, because we love The Sisters Of Mercy. Everybody loves The Sisters. In the mean time I bought a great 12-string acoustic Fender. 2 years and few gigs later, the "Dreams" self-destructed.
After all, I still play guitar and write songs for myself and my girlfriend and I'm looking for guys who want to form a band with me and -why not?- become Rock Stars, because I think never is too late. Now, my gear includes an Epiphone LP Goth (black - not red!!!), a Marshall MG30DFX, a DigiTech RP300A and... many passion for music!
Sometimes I think I'll never accomplish to become a really great guitarist, but I love what I can express with my guitar. For what's worth.

Last edited by Evan Von Himmel : 07-28-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Evan Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 AM   #65
odway

I've always been one of those musical people... had the talent, in the genes, and so on... I just never had the "want" to take it seriously until recently.

In the early years my mum taught me the basics of music theory. We played on this old grand piano that literally dwarfed me and the sound that came out of it was intense. I think learning music from an early age was really vital, I definitely thank mum's simple lessons for my sense of timing and musical ear. Admittedly, year 4 recorder lessons went horribly, and I remember watching the person beside me and copying what she was doing with her fingers, or pretending to blow into the instrument instead of actually playing. Didn't like the squeal of the recorder at all.

Primary School
In year 6 our school made us all sit a test and those who did well were trialled for the music program. They ran two streams- brass and strings. I was accepted into both, and fate or not, I was actually sick for the guitar trial and ended up in the brass stream. I had a wonderful teacher, and I learned the trombone alongside two other students and did really well. Unfortunately my teacher was involved in a car accident and could no longer teach, the last time I saw him was when he came along for support when we played at our graduation ceremony.

High School
High school started, and once again we had to sit tests to be accepted into the music program. I went through easily, continued the trombone and played in the school's swing and jazz bands for a couple of years. We had separate theory classes several times a week, plus our regular music lessons and then band practise as well. I was hugely discouraged by the teachers though (maybe because I compared them to my last? Who knows...) and I soon dropped out. That's why sometimes I think missing out on the guitar stream was fate, it takes just one bad teacher to sour you off an instrument completely.

Year 1 (around 17)
As much as all that pre-guitar stuff helped, to me it was just routine, part of life. I never really had a passion for what I was playing. So music pretty much dropped out of my life until I was around 17. I can't actually remember what attracted me to the guitar so much... I'm generally a shy person so I think I liked to have an instrument that I could play without everyone else listening in (my neighbours used to comment on the trombone playing all the time) but then when I felt the urge I could turn it up loud and it would feel good. My friend let me borrow his squire and I would go over to his place and he would teach me the basics, simple chilli riffs and so on. He gave me good advice on things and he helped me buy my first guitar, an Ibanez GAX70 and a small Peavey 158 practise amp. I think for the first year I just dawdled around with no real direction... chords were non existent and I'd just play along to cds by ear or tab... but hey, it was fun.

Year 2
I turn 18 and discover the ecstasy of live music (in Australia 18 is the legal drinking age and age you can get into pubs, clubs etc). All of a sudden music stopped being just something that was playing on the radio, and turned into something completely different. I developed a strong taste for alternative/indie bands, and would spend every spare minute to/from uni ("college" for non aussies), in between classes, heck even during classes listening to everything from EPs of local bands, to well known Australian bands, up to Queen, Bowie, Hendrix and so on. We'd be out watching bands every weekend, everything from bigger names like the White Stripes, Franz etc down to $5 never heard of these guys before stuff. Each time we'd go out I would see how much fun they were having on stage and a huge thing I think for me was that I could easily approach band members and talk to them about stuff... which showed me how down to earth these people were and made me think "yep, I can do this too." Playing continued as normal, but I started to lose my noobness. Broke my first string (yep, after a year and a bit... no one told me strings had to be replaced!) and restrung my guitar for the first time which was a milestone at the time.

Year 3 (19)
I started to get serious. Had lessons for a while but was not satisfied with them so dropped them and decided to teach myself. Learn a tonne of chords, scales, practise lessons on UG, go to the library and get out books and follow those, critically watch how other bands play and study specific successful songs, formed a band, reduced my uni load so I could focus more on playing guitar and getting the band going while we are the right age to be breaking into the swing of things. Knocked back a couple of offers to open for local bands because we felt we were not ready yet. Heaps of practise, daily theory practise, lead and rhythm practise and then band rehearsal. I'm a long way off being a good player, really this is my first year of taking things seriously, but the dedication's here now and the passion's here now too.

Sorry it's so long!
odway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #66
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

My musical "career" started when one of my friends came over and was braggin about having acquired a guitar. He suggested that I get a bass so we could start a band together. I thought about it for a while, thinking that playing an instrument would be cool, but delaying my decision because I didn't want to be stuck with it if I ended up not liking it.

After long deliberation, I decided to go for it. I got a Washburn XB100 starter pack for my birthday that year. The pack came with a free month of lessons, so that was a plus. I started my lessons the same week I got the bass. At first, I didn't practice that much, because I noticed that most of the stuff I was learning was pretty easy.

Around this time, I noticed that a lot of my friends were either interested in playing guitar or drums or another rock-related instruments, or already played. I encouraged the non-musicians to pick up an instrument, telling them how fun it was. Sadly, few of them did.

Eventually, my teacher left the store in which I took my lessons. He offered to teach me at his house, but my parents opted to stay at the store and sign up with a new teacher. My second teacher really helped my technique, and I started practicing more and more after I starter learning from him. Thanks to him, I also started to develop my ear.

My musical tastes also started to mature at this point. When I was 11-12, I just listened to what was on the radio. This included Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park. When I picked up my bass, I started getting more into straight modern rock, like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Shinedown, Audioslave, and REM. After finding UG, I started getting into metal and metalcore, and heard more about bassists like Cliff Burton, John Myung, and the like.

My second teacher also had to leave the store due to family issues, and I had to find a new teacher yet again. My third (and current) teacher made me feel like a beginner again after the first few lessons; I learned things from him in the first few weeks that I probably should have already learned. His teaching has boosted my theory knowledge, and now I can understand most of the stuff I find on my own. He's also shown me some of the better bassists out there, most of whom I knew of but never really had the chance to check out.

I've been playing for two years now. I convinced one of my friends to pick up the guitar, and my brother has picked up the drums. We're currently looking to start a band, but aren't at that level yet.

My friend who first suggested I play bass? He still plays, but we're not interested in starting a band together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?

Last edited by Scourge441 : 07-29-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Continuation
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #67
Dancing Fool
UG's Now-12-year-old UGer

I've only been playing guitar for about...8 monthes, but I'm pretty good for that stage.

*Month 1*
For my 11th birthday, I went down to Guitar Center and picked up a Epiphone Pr 150 VS Acoustic, with a lot of encouargement from my dad. It proceeds to collect dust for several monthes.

*Month 5*
I picked up my guitar one day, and went to a website called Ultimate-Guitar.com and checked out the tab for KoRn's Got The Life. Realizing I couldn't read tabs, I sught out help from my friend.

*Month 6*
After learning the intro to Smoke On The Water, Enter Sandman, and One, I decided since intro's weren't getting me anywhere, I would learn full songs. Instead, I took a one month break.

*Month 7*
I get serious. I *attempt* to learn scales, theory, chords, and some easy songs, courtesy of FatKidsOnMopeds.

*Month 8*
I have improved so much from when I started. I plan on getting an electric guitar in Novemeber for my 12th birthday. I am still trying to learn as much as I can, and trying to point new*er* guitar players in the right direction.

Haven't been playing for long, but I think I'm doing OK.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #68
steve_slash

I started at the age of 15 i think. I had always wanted to play drums and i was going to get a kit as we were considering moving house. My parents then split up so i was stuck with my tiny box room. Seens as i wanted to make music i opted for Guitar. Started off with a squire strat and small amp just playing bits of songs. Then ive progressed from there, now im a pretty good lead guitarist and im persuing my dream. Im now 17 hopefully i will take guitar to a higher level...
steve_slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #69
TheUnholy
Unholier than thou...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fool
*Month 5*
I picked up my guitar one day, and went to a website called Ultimate-Guitar.com and checked out the tab for KoRn's Got The Life. Realizing I couldn't read tabs, I sught out help from my friend.

Classic! I can just picture you staring blankly at the screen.

I have deduced from the lack of reaction to my frankly idiotic previous post that NO-ONE ACTUALLY BOTHERS reading the biogs other people post up...so anyone posting a five hundred word biog may as well be speaking to thin air.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
TheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #70
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnholy
Classic! I can just picture you staring blankly at the screen.

I have deduced from the lack of reaction to my frankly idiotic previous post that NO-ONE ACTUALLY BOTHERS reading the biogs other people post up...so anyone posting a five hundred word biog may as well be speaking to thin air.

or we just ignore the obivously gay ones...
frigginjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #71
TheUnholy
Unholier than thou...

No, I'm not buying that, I'm not saying that that's not true of you yourself, but of people on forums in general that just doesn't happen. I saw how many people were posting huge biogs, and wondered whether anyone actually bothered to read them, so put up a test - and yes, had some fun doing so. But if more than a minority WERE actually reading all the stuff in here rather than just adding in their own contributions, that post would of attracted either laughs, insults or both.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
TheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #72
Remebol
Always Sleepy

its kinda pathetic u wont take time out of ur day to just read some one else's past and how they grew up with guitar.

And thats my 2 cent
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #73
elvenkindje
UG Monkey

^Please, stfu. He was defending this thread. Also, I like this idea and when I feel more up to it, I'll post my bio
elvenkindje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #74
Boghead

I honestly cant remember a time in my life when there was no music in my life, its a part of me. I can remember airguitaring to the power rangers theme when i was 6, that was my first encounter of the guitar , at that time it was full of mystique, it was something so exotic yet so familiar...it made me feel great!

Adolescent came and i changed to a gawky sad loner kid, I didnt have anything to look up to, that however ended on a fateful night. Flicking through the channels I came across mtv
and at that moment Pantera's cemetery gates was playing. Awwww id never forget that feeling of awe, power, brutality and overall awesomeness in the music. The screaming harmonics then climaxing to that solo!! my guts turned over and the world was never the same place again.....

I got a squier and a 15 watt amp, and i would spend hours everyday trying to figure out records I could get my hands on. Ive progressed and started playing in clubs. I got exposed to jazz a few years later and again that was another high point in my journey. BLahhh your probably sick of this now but to end

The guitar gave me a sense of fulfillment, it gave me a sense of dignity that i badly needed.
Boghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #75
Remebol
Always Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenkindje
^Please, stfu. He was defending this thread. Also, I like this idea and when I feel more up to it, I'll post my bio

wtf?

You dont talk to me that way when you take what i say out of context.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #76
Citiz3n 3ras3d
*****in'

^You guys all gotta chillllllll.
ANYWAYYYYYY

I suppose it started when I was a wee one.My dad played guitar(Still does) and I'd always try to play it(By play I mean I'd just hit the strings),and looking at his collection of axes(From Fender to Rickenbacker) always made me wanna play.When I was 6,I got this crappy little drum set for Christmas.From then till I was about 10 I just let it collect dust 'till we gave it to my little cousins. In all that time(and still do) I'd go to my dad's gigs with his doowop band and watch him play.

When I was 7,I watched this girl my age play Fur Elise on the piano and thought 'I wanna do that!' My dad's horn player,who taught my brother trumpet,started giving me piano lessons.This is where I got alot of my theory,how to read music,ect.Now that I think about it,I never did try to learn Fur Elise,lol.

When I was in 4th grade the option to join the school band opened up.My mom called the band teacher to see if I could play piano.There wasn't a spot for that,so the teacher recommended I play trombone.To this day I still play with my bone.

In 6th grade I was truckin' along playing piano and trombone.Near the end of the year I decided "I want to learn guitar" what better than to have my own dad teach me?The first thing he taught me was a powerchord(I didn't know this,as he just called it a 5th).The next thing he tried to teach me was a barre chord,but I couldn't get it because of my pudgy fingers.Thus I was discouraged.My brother had an Ibanez bass that he never used,so they recommended that I learn bass,since I could just play single notes instead of full chords.My dad taught me alot of chord progressions used in Doo-Wop and the 12 bar blues.Then I found a site called the bass tab archive.I printed out some Green Day and Linkin Park tabs and tried to learn them,to no avail.My dad and brother decided these were too hard at my stage,and the first song I learned with tab was Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.A couple months passed and I was learning almost all of the American Idiot album(I thought I was hot shit).Fieldy,Mike Dirnt,and people like that were my idols.

7th grade started.I was in symphonic band on trombone.Auditions for the Jazz band came along,and I tried out on Trombone,as I knew I wasn't ready on bass.The bass player in the jazz band is one of the best bassists I've ever seen.We quickly made friends.Then,for Christmas,I got my own bass.A Fender Mike Dirnt P-Bass.It made me completely happy.I was still talking to my friend about bass and such.

Then he got me into Rush.

I was completely amazed by Geddy Lee.I'd never heard bass played like that before.I strived to learn to play like him.I had told my friend who had a band with no bassplayer that I was learning bass.He told me we'd haveta audition me sometime.Never did until last June,where I joined the band SOLITUDE(Gay I know).In October,I got my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.Orgasm in bass form.7 months we got For about nothing done,then our singer/guitarist quit.We still remained good friends with him.We got a new guitar player/singer and changed our name to 'The Farewell Field'(Uber gay) we got alot of work done as a trio.Then,my singer rejoined and we've been working on some new stuff.However,there is some obvious tension between everyone in the band,so I feel like it's gonna be over soon,as does my singer.So,now,I've been working with him on getting a post-hardcore(Think Chiodos,Saosin,Fall Of Troy,ect) band going.

In 6 years of playing piano,4 years of playing trombone,and 2 years of playing bass,I feel as though I've gotten some good work done.I'm far from an 'Accomplished' player,but I've been progressing rather smoothly.

Out of my 2 years of bass playing my rig is still rather simple:
Fender Mike Dirnt P-Bass/Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Fender Bassman 100.

I'm hoping to get an Ashdown halfstack for my birthday though

Thanks for reading my really long,really useless story!
Citiz3n 3ras3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #77
J-Spoon
Banana-ed

Everyone has such good stories. And I especially like Citiz3n 3ras3d above me still playing wth his "bone". It could also mean penis. Hilarious. I'm not being sarcastic by the way, just silly.

Pre-era
Well, always though I was musical. I was always annoying my parents by tapping on the bench etc, for a while begged them for a drum kit to no avail. This is like 9-13 age we're talking roughly.
I remember when I was really young my Dad restrung one of his old acoustice the other way because I'm left hand. I never took to it then. Too scared and self-conscious abou tthe attention.
Ironically, I don't play left handed now. That's bwcause in music class in about year 8 our terrible teacher made us play all right-handed. What a skank. Anyway, I was ok, but I have really bad fingers, like fat little sausages, which made simple things hard.

17 years old
My freind had been learning guitar. Nothing too special. When he told his parents he wanted a guitar he was a bought a bass because his parents, though his mother is quite musical, were ignorant to a difference.
Anyway, he wrote this, well, terrible song, and invited me around and told me to what to play on bass.
This was pretty amazing time. It's a magic feeling the first time you make those random noises that actually form melody.
This was late 2002, just finished school for good, I was turning 18 in december, and my parents bought that bass as a present to me.

The uni years
At university, studying journalism.
Playing my bass, it was going ok. I played pretty well, least I though I did. I was getting better and better though, wrote some terrible songs myself. Would often sit on the balcony of my dorm alone in the cold, with my bass, unplugged, and play up there. Good times.

That christmas, got a better bass. Anbd got better and better. In our dorm was a guy called Jesus, he liked metal. But he had a guitar and I was utilising my bass-skills on his guitar playing minor scale licks that were actually pretty good. Knew I would have to learn guitar, enjoyed making more than on noise.
That's because I would often play bass on my own, no band, so I would approach it more guitrar like and be double plucking and using a string openly to drone, more like a bango or mandolin or guitar in open tuning. Anyway, that christmas, got a really cheap acoustic.

We're up to 2005. Third year uni. Play my bass and my acoustic constantly. Gradually building up skill on guitar. Thanks to bass theory, scales etc all that jazz, I often knew more about playing than most guitarists I knew.
It laso helped me form chords, even when I hadn't learned them yet.The reall aim of me learning guitar, was to play like Jeff Buckley, my personal hero I suppose. And I gradually got better and better. But was still lacking something.

Those post uni days i.e Employed and welcome to the present
Well, on my 21st, I didn't want presents. I just got cash. Then went and bought my first electric guitar, though I still play bass on occasion. A Squier 20th Anniversary Affinity strat. I've realised the 20th anniversary meant this squier wasn't quite as crap as most of the ones out there. It's actually really rad, and now I have cash I thing some new bits and pieces are in order.
But yes, my playing. It's pretty good. Not the the best. I couldn't do barre chords for ages because of my pudgy fingers, but I can now. Refused to play with a pick, that's because of my bass playing, but now do and can do that well.
My playing is pretty rad, I suppose. I can play some good stuff. I'm not exactly where I want to be. It's a continuing journey and I'm just partway down the road.
Oh, my friend who made me play bass, he still plays. We play together a lot in a psuedo band thing. He always laughs that a student should excel the teacher because I'm better than him. But he can sing my a$$ off so we're even.

http://myspace.com/theabandonments
Choose Sarah's Song. That's an example of my playing earlier in the year.
J-Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #78
Inf1n1tY.

I started on 15th brithday. A friends dad, who plays drums, took me to a guitar shop where I bought my first guitar. A Stagg random strat shaped thing. I started playing Come as you are, Smoke on the water and house of the rising sun. In this time I was very Warcraft III addicted. So I didnt play my guitar much.
Then in winter 2004/05 I stoped playing WC3 cause our team was splitting. I got more into guitar stuff and started playin Metallica and Iron Maiden.
On my 16th birthday (september 05) I bought my little fender strat. Then I decided to take lessons and started serious practise.
My playin improved very quickly and I wanted to play in a band. I had a few friends around wich were interested in music and had a band. They band mostly old-school punk originals and stuff. I played with them a few times and they asked if I would like to be in their band. I said I need some time think about it (because the music wasnt really my thing). Then 2 weeks later I was goin to accept their offer (because they were really the only band in my age around). Then they said they have another guitarist now'. This was really sad for me =)
Now a half year later I'm still searchin a band. ^^
The music I listen to has really changed since I started playin. Now I listen (and play of course^^) to stuff like Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Stones, Randy Rhoads and so on.

Randy Rhoads 4ever

UG-Radio

See UG Radio Thread for more information

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Inf1n1tY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #79
vandal_12
Registered Boozer

This one is a long one.
I was 13. School just ended about a week earlier. I was at a friend's house chillin' with a few buddie's and he had a guitar. I had a guitar for the last 3 years but i just banged around on it not knowing what the hell i was doing, some ****ty mako, never heard of it before? Me neither.
Anyways, i picked it up and started messing around with it, my friend looked at me like i was some kind of ****** and he offered to teach me Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. 2 minute's later, i could finally play an actual riff. After that day i was hooked, I started to actually play song's on my piece of **** Mako guitar that my friend's had taught me.
One day in Edmonton i went into a music store and bought my first half ass guitar /amp combo packages for 400$, it was a blue Peavey raptor plus with a Peavey rage 158 amp, both of which i still own. That was the day that changed my life.
After i returned home to my ****-hole town of creighton, which happen's to be 3 km's away from Flin Flon Manitoba, also known as the pot capitol of Canada (Great place, alot of nice people. Probably because they have all smoked themselve's half ******ed), i practiced my ass off learning little riff's and lick's (mostly Metallica and some theme music.) I finally became good enough for my second good guitar, exactly one year later. I upgraded from a peavey, to a Jackson KVX10 King V, i now realise it wasn't worth what i payed for. (700$!, including tax's and a soft case).
After that i was completely happy and amazed at what an astonishing guitar it seemed to me. It somehow inspired me to become better, and within a month of owning it, i played the main riff to Arch Enemy's hybrid's of steel and i made my friend quit guitar. For some reason it pissed him off that i finally could outplay him with almost everything i knew, but to me it only made sense because i commited myself to becoming a better player, he didn't.

Now about a little less than a year later

It's early May, have been playing for almost two years, i have finally surpassed all my friend's who played guitar before me. My friend, was a drummer in a band who a week after playing their first show one of the guitarist's quit the band. My drummer friend asked me to come jam with them one time. So i went and jammed with a real band for the first time, it was a good experience, i kept laughing a little bit because i thought it was cool to finally be jamming with an actual band that had their **** together. After a few song's such as Metallica's jump in the fire, Black Sabbath's War Pig's, and other cool stuff, the other guitarist asked me to actually join the band, i did.( In case your wondering nobody took the band to seriously, it was just a litle jam thing that played a few cover's whenever we could get a gig so we could have some fun and have a reasonable excuse to get loaded.) After that i got a used drum kit so me and my friend could jam without having to use the other guitarist's drum's. Eventually the other guitarist kinda just, faded away as that was the only time we all jammed with him. the bass player turned out to be a douche bag so we kicked him out. It's just me and the drummer, we occasionally jam with some random other guitarist's and bassist's, just for something to do when we are sick of it just being the two of us and some people watching. Well, it turn's out when my drummer kicked the bass player out of the band he was drunk, and the bassist never took him seriously. By the time we realised he didn't take us seriously, we had already joined up with other people who were looking for a drummer. They already had two guitarist's, one of them being the original guitarist that quit the band i first joined, so my drummer must have said something to them because they wanted me too as a third guitarist, i later found out one was incapable of doing solo's (no big deal but i thought i would add that in there) and the other is about the same skill level as me, so i'm assuming they wanted me so we could have two sharing the lead's and another doing the rhythym(sp??). We had agreed to join the band for an 8 pattied burger and a case of beer. We still haven't told the first bass player he's out and we mean it, we have a show in one week, he still think's he's in.

Now let's go back a about ten day's ago from today, which would be about the same time me and my drummer agreed to join the band.

I have been playing now for a little over two years.I finally get a job. I realised the V wasn't as it was all cracked up to be, so i recently bought an Ibanez RG370DX, and a Marshall MG250DFX, i know most of you hate the MG serie's amp's but personally i like it.

Now back about 2 week's before that
I realised all i was doing was playing what other people wrote, and it wouldn't get me anywhere to creating my own style and technique of playing, so i decided to finally start learning music theory, something i realise i should have done a long time ago. Before i actually made a commitment to learning it, i had picked some of it up in various guitar world magazine's and had a basic understanding of the fretboard. i would also like to note that i took guitar lesson's for a few month's but my teacher gave up teaching to work at KFC.

And that fellow UGer's, is the story of my music "career" so far. And if any of you are interested i might decide to make a post about how the show goes a week or so later.
P.S.- sorry it's long, its 3:30 in the morning and i have nothing better to do right now except sleep.

So for now, have a good one.
vandal_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #80
Metal_Rich

This might be long, it might be short, wait and see I guess...

It started last December, I went to a school Christmas concert to see my friends band perform, they were amazing, the only thing they lacked was a singer. I got to know the other members of the band, and the lead guitarist especialy, and one day told him that if they were looking for a singer then I could try out. I was successful, and with no past experiance of being in a band, it would be an interesting ride.

My voice had supposidly already broken, and I made lyrics and sang on their 1 and only song. My voice became even deeper, and I could no longer sing the song properly, and found it impossible to rewrite lyrics or anything. There were arguements about creative control, what type of band we were, and it went on.

Right before the band split, my sister was playing guitar one day and I thought "I should try to learn guitar," so I grabbed an old acoustic from the attic, and began learning, very very slowly. I used my thumb instead of a plec, and used my thumb instead of fingers to hold strings, avoiding any song that used any type of chords. By this time the band had split, the two guitarists forming a heavy metal band, the bassist, drummer and myself without a band.

I eventualy switched to using my fingers, and bought a crafter cruiser off of ebay for 45, and it is the best bargain I've ever bought from ebay. I asked the drummer if he wanted to form a band, but he wanted to to play bass, and had done since around the time I joined our band. So now we would have jam sessions at my house, my still using my thumbs, and couldnt even play powerchords yet. One time he told me of an easy song which we could both learn, I tried it out and I could finaly play powerchords!! A week or two later I was using a plec, after noticing how much better it sounds then using fingers or thumb.

I finaly got a tuner, (originaly all I had was an amp and a guitar, not even a bag!) and this made my playing sound exceptionaly better (my guitar was massively out of tune,) and from then on I learning every song within my reach, and trying every song that wasnt! I learnt to play pull offs, hammer ons, harmonics, and eventualy my first solo...

I was browsing the UG forums, when I stumbled across one enquiring how hard the Bohemian Rhapsody solo is. Someone said "5/10" and I thought "That doesnt sound too hard", it was a solo that sounded good, and was from a song I loved. I spent days learning each part to perfection, until I could play the whole thing. I felt on top of the world. Then I found much easier solos like Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and thought "If only I had found this one first", but since I had mastered the BR solo, this solo was a walk in the park for me.

I improved massively over the next few months, learning to sing and play easy songs then moving onto more advanced ones, and now singing and playing comes pretty naturaly to me , as well as basicly just learning more songs and jamming with my bassist. And here I am now, 6/7 months after starting and amazed to think that 1 year ago I would never have expected myself to be playing guitar.

Well I've never typed such a long post before, I'm amazed I'm able to at this time in the morning! And some of the other posts in here have been very inspiring! I'm going to go look up some theory now...

Last edited by Metal_Rich : 08-09-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Metal_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: