Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
brentondig
Undead Head
 
brentondig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Black Sabbath

True Sabbath fans chill here, and discuss various Sabbath topics, such as Ozzy vs. Dio, Iommi, whatever.

Enjoy talking about the Blackest of Sabbath.
brentondig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
danzig-_-
UG Addict
 
danzig-_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Behind the Wall of Sleep
umm i dont know what to say in here but.....
i think ozzy is a way better singer.....TRUE black sabbath
discuss?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
danzig-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
brentondig
Undead Head
 
brentondig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I definitely agree. I think he's better because he was the first, more like the one and only, because the whole band sounded different with Dio, musically.
brentondig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
MusicHead32
UG Member
 
MusicHead32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
ozzy>dio
__________________
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
MusicHead32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Inahrima
The Crosswinds of forever
 
Inahrima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maldives, the sunny side of life, apparently...
Doesn't black sabbath belong in the metal forum? Iron maidens there. Remove this and repost it there.
__________________
Flickr Photos
Head Chef of the Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join.
The Photography Thread
last.fm
Inahrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
rx_eb
rawwwr
 
rx_eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: rawwwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inahrima
Doesn't black sabbath belong in the metal forum? Iron maidens there. Remove this and repost it there.


Black Sabbath is CR, mthrfckr.
Metal is a genre and CR is a time era. You see, Sabbaths played metal and belongs to the CR era...

The reason why Iron Maiden isn't considered CR because they don't deserve to. end of story
__________________
My Spanish Hearts

Last edited by rx_eb : 08-18-2006 at 10:24 PM.
rx_eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_eb
The reason why Iron Maiden isn't considered CR because they don't deserve to. end of story


[/narrow-mindedness]



Actually, it's because Iron Maiden was part of a musical movement most commenly referred to as the "NWOBHM", or "New Wave of British Heavy Metal".

@ threadstarter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentondig
such as Ozzy vs. Dio


Saying this is the #1 way to get your thread closed, #2 being not using the search function and making a thread that has been made 345814519855 times.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
rx_eb
rawwwr
 
rx_eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: rawwwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin

[/narrow-mindedness]



Actually, it's because Iron Maiden was part of a musical movement most commenly referred to as the "NWOBHM", or "New Wave of British Heavy Metal".


shush

and actually that isn't narrow-mindedness
__________________
My Spanish Hearts
rx_eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
NGD1313
left & leaving
 
NGD1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Ozzy w/ Sabbath > Dio w/ Sabbath

Ozzy (solo) > Dio (band)

Ozzy (now) > Dio (now)

/debate
NGD1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Danne55
Registered User
 
Danne55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
Saying this is the #1 way to get your thread closed, #2 being not using the search function and making a thread that has been made 345814519855 times.




I've think it has been done more than 345814519855 times
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyheatseeker
Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.
Danne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git
 
chylde_of_fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAHNDAAAAHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_eb
Black Sabbath is CR, mthrfckr.
Metal is a genre and CR is a time era. You see, Sabbaths played metal and belongs to the CR era...

Judas Preist, Motorhead, Venom, Pentagram, Witchfinder General plus many more are all metal bands that were formed/released most of their classic material within the 'pre - 1984' era that defines classic rock on this forum. Yet they are unquestionabley Metal, not Classic Rock. The same applies for Sabbath. They never were, are, or will be anything but metal.

Plus the thread in the metal forum has more replies. Go figure.
__________________
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance

Last edited by chylde_of_fire : 08-19-2006 at 07:59 AM.
chylde_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
rx_eb
rawwwr
 
rx_eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: rawwwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
Judas Preist, Motorhead, Venom, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General plus many more are all metal bands that were formed/released most of their classic material within the 'pre - 1984' era that defines classic rock on this forum. Yet they are unquestionabley Metal, not Classic Rock. The same applies for Sabbath. They never were, are, or will be anything but metal.


no it doesn't
go ask a mod
__________________
My Spanish Hearts
rx_eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git
 
chylde_of_fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAHNDAAAAHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_eb
no it doesn't
go ask a mod

So what exactly is it that makes Black Sabbath classic rock and other 70s metal bands not?
__________________
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
chylde_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
bodyheatseeker
..- --. . .-.
 
bodyheatseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ireland
well Tony Iommi always said he thought Sabbath were heavy rock. I think you could have them in either forum really, they were the grandaddies of metal yet still around at the right time for you to call them classic rock.
As for Iron Maiden and Motorhead ect I always considered them a bit of a grey area but they were heavy when they started and their roots were always hard rock and such while Sabbath had sort of bluesy roots so I think thats the main difference
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

bodyheatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
rx_eb
rawwwr
 
rx_eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: rawwwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
So what exactly is it that makes Black Sabbath classic rock and other 70s metal bands not?


well maybe because they're considered one of the godfathers of heavy metal. and don't forget that they debuted in the 60s and played blues rock, hard rock as well as jazz before they moved into Heavy Metal and pioneered the genre.

Those bands you've just listed earlier are indeed Black Sabbath's contemporaries but I think you just can't categorize them into the same class with Sabbath. Black Sabbath was and is always in higher class (in my opinion of course) and only bands like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Scorpions and maybe Judas Priest or Wishbone Ash can be in.
__________________
My Spanish Hearts
rx_eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git
 
chylde_of_fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: LAHNDAAAAHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyheatseeker
well Tony Iommi always said he thought Sabbath were heavy rock. I think you could have them in either forum really, they were the grandaddies of metal yet still around at the right time for you to call them classic rock.

Iommi would have said they were heavy rock as before Sabbath metal did not exist, and therefore the genre didn't have a concrete name as such (if that makes any sense), where as now, in retrospect, we can say that they are a metal band, specificaly Doom metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_eb
well maybe because they're considered one of the godfathers of heavy metal. and don't forget that they debuted in the 60s and played blues rock, hard rock as well as jazz before they moved into Heavy Metal and pioneered the genre.

I am aware that Sabbath started of in this way, back when they were known as Earth and Polka Tulk. That does not, however, detract from the fact that their self titled album was metal. Bluesy metal, but still metal.
There are many other bands that started off playing another type of music before becoming metal, for example Napalm Death's early demos were hardcore/crust punk, but by the time they put out their first full-length 'Scum', they had morphed into a fully-fledged Grind band.
__________________
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance

Last edited by chylde_of_fire : 08-19-2006 at 01:05 PM.
chylde_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
bodyheatseeker
..- --. . .-.
 
bodyheatseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
Iommi would have said they were heavy rock as before Sabbath metal did not exist, and therefore the genre didn't have a concrete name as such (if that makes any sense)



True and you do make a good point it's just in a recent interview with Iommi he said he never saw Sabbath as metal even now he calls them hard rock
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

bodyheatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
BlueOyster23
Welcome To My Nightmare
 
BlueOyster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wearing The Foreigner Belt
I think UG needs to decide where bands like Black Sabbath belong in the forums.
__________________
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
BlueOyster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Inahrima
The Crosswinds of forever
 
Inahrima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maldives, the sunny side of life, apparently...
^ Since deciding a genre based solely on time period alone seems extremly stupid, i'd say Black Sabbath belongs in the Metal Forum.
__________________
Flickr Photos
Head Chef of the Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join.
The Photography Thread
last.fm
Inahrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
BlueOyster23
Welcome To My Nightmare
 
BlueOyster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wearing The Foreigner Belt
I disagree, I find that Black Sabbath was/is defienately hard rock, of the classic sort, due to not only the massive amount of blues styling, but other stylings to. Like "Changes" isn't a metal ballad, it's something else. "Never Say Die" and "Supernaut" seem to experiment elsewhere than metal, as many classic rock bands experimented with their sound.
__________________
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
BlueOyster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.