Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #81
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Location: "Over the hills, where the spirits fly" - Praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy - PM me to join Zeppelinism.
Tony Iommi is pretty good, but I think some people make him out to me more than he is, but it's quite possible I just haven't listened to enough Sabbath.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/zeppelinism/

...Otherwise, rot in Hell.
TheHeartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #82
DieN
I like music

He is a very unique person and comes up with great riffs. And he's a leftie too! All in all he is one of my favourite gituar players.
DieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #83
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

Especially when you consider he lost two of the finger tips on his fretting hand.

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
chylde_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #84
krymson
UG Addict

He is the master of the riff
krymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #85
get-born
Illegal in 37 States...

Yeah, and his droped tunigns were unheard of at the time...
get-born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 AM   #86
chopps00
Music Defines Reality...

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieN
Get paranoid and master of reality as well!

If you get those, you'll want Volume 4.

chopps00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #87
Danne55

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoehendrix32
favorite dio album- heaven and hell or mob rules

You mentioned 2 out of 3 Dio studioalbums there
Anyway I've started listening to Master of Reality and really enjoy it. Just a question about it: is the music on the album a start of the genre "Doom metal" ??
Danne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #88
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne55
Anyway I've started listening to Master of Reality and really enjoy it. Just a question about it: is the music on the album a start of the genre "Doom metal" ??

Doom Metal, as well as metal in general, started with the S/T album. The title track is probably the best song to sum up Doom as a genre, in my opinion. The first four albums are all considered to be Doom Metal, on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage they started branching out although there are still songs on those albums that could be considered Doom.
There was also another band who were playing similar styled Doom Metal at the same time, the american band Pentagram, who formed in 1971 and released demos/singles throughout the 70s. Try and get hold of their compilations First Daze Here and First Daze Here Too for a retrospective of their early material, which was just as important to early Heavy and Doom Metal as Sabbath.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #89
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Location: Over the Hills and Far Away, and across The Ocean, sitting In the Light in a cottage in the village of Bron-Yr-Aur, where I Ramble On with a Living, Loving, Heartbreaking Maid, praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeartbreaker
Tony Iommi is pretty good, but I think some people make him out to me more than he is, but it's quite possible I just haven't listened to enough Sabbath.

I think he gets alot of his respect from being such a guitar pioneer, not to say I don't like Sabbath or anything he is one of my idols. But if you havent seen them do the song Black Sabbath on the DVD the last supper, the solo was cool as hell. That was the only live version I'd ever seen but it rocked.
Page&HammettFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #90
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Location: Over the Hills and Far Away, and across The Ocean, sitting In the Light in a cottage in the village of Bron-Yr-Aur, where I Ramble On with a Living, Loving, Heartbreaking Maid, praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne55

To me the lyrics on that one weren't as dark as the other two. The riffs weren't quite so dark either, just heavy. Like with the first two albums the riffs and lyrics all sounded different than with Master of Reality. Might be aq good debate topic eh?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #91
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy193
Sabbath was really both hard rock and heavy metal. They did originate the metal formula, but their music is a bit more blues-based than most metal bands. It's the same way with AC/DC; everyone always calls them metal, but they're really more hard rock (hell, Angus was even offended when people called them metal).

On a side note, I'm kind of new to Black Sabbath, and I do own Paranoid and Black Sabbath (the album), and I'm wondering which album to get next. So...can anyone help? (And don't say Master Of Reality, because I already know I need to get that one.)

The DVD "The Last Supper" is good except vocal overdubs during some solos and the verse to the song Black Sabbath. And Angus also hated being called punk rock .
Old 10-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #92
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy193
Well, for example, at the music store at the mall where I live, they have AC/DC in the metal section. And also, most music magazines (namely, the stupid ones that praise Green Day incessantly) call AC/DC metal. And while I do disagree with that, AC/DC did undoubtedly influence the metal sound from the 80's. But they, themselves, are not metal. The closest they came to metal was probably Whole Lotta Rosie, and that's still not even close.

Not to stray off topic but yea, they're Blues/Hard Rock.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #93
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshelt76
Let me put this out there, I don't like Black Sabbath. I've never cared much for their music(not a big metal fan) and I doubt I ever will. But to say that they're overrated is just ignorant. I'm sorry, but it is. I see by your name that you're a VH fan. Without Sabbath there wouldn't have been an AC/DC, Van Halen, and any other hard rock/heavy metal band. Sabbath helped to pioneer hard rock and for that reason, even though I don't like their music, I owe them a tremendous amount of respect.

Very well put! THANK YOU!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #94
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOyster23
^Have you listened to AC/DC and Black Sabbath, they are nothing alike. Black Sabbath is a darker, grittier, lower band, while AC/DC is just a loud hard rock band. ...And I know people won't appreciate me talking about GNR in this forum, but Guns N' Roses are more towards metal than AC/DC, yet GNR are also just hard rock.

BS GN'R's album "Appetite for Destruction", is the first thing to be considered hard rock for years. Those guys were hard rock. Some people might consider them hair metal because that fan base listened to them alot too, but fact is they're hard rock. And AC/DC weren't Heavy Metal, as stated before by others, the were an influence on the genre, but they themselves were more Hard Rock than Metal.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #95
Ultimate_Gio92
Concert-Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGD1313
Ozzy w/ Sabbath > Dio w/ Sabbath

Ozzy (solo) > Dio (band)

Ozzy (now) > Dio (now)

/debate

i agree that ozzy with sabbath MAY be better than dio with sabbath, but ozzys solo band ALWAYS was worse than dios band. Dios band produced some classic stuff there

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal out of Grimsby/Hamilton, Ontario!

PROFANER
Ultimate_Gio92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #96
get-born
Illegal in 37 States...

What amp heads does Iommi use?
get-born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #97
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by get-born

I think he has a Laney custom head to go with his amps. I dunno if he does or not.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #98
chylde_of_fire
Miserable git

Quote:
Originally Posted by get-born

Used to use Laney 100w Supergroup, currently using Laney GH-100TI, which is his custom model.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #99
Danne55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Gio92
i agree that ozzy with sabbath MAY be better than dio with sabbath, but ozzys solo band ALWAYS was worse than dios band. Dios band produced some classic stuff there

I must say that I ejoyed both Dio and Ozzy soloworks really much.
They both have some real classics like Dio with Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark and We Rock, and Ozzy with Crazy Train, Mr Crowley, No more Tears and Mama Im Coming Home.

However I enjoy Dio's solo work better than his Sabbath (although his best is in Rainbow). With Ozzy I really cant decide wheter I like his solo or Sabbath work more.
Danne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #100
OneHappyCamper

Jesus, will you all just stop classifying music? God damnit... You can't put music into classes, genres and stuff. Black Sabbath is Black Sabbath, AC/DC is AC/DC, GN'R is GN'R, every one of these bands have a style of their own which is very distinctive. Just stop bickering about genres and LISTEN to the music. Seems like everyone here has forgotten that music was made to be listened to and not argued about... It seems that you guys argue about genres just to be able to put yourselves into a 'genre': Look, I'm a metalhead!! or Oh yeah baby, I listen to Hard Rock!!

And even if you just HAVE to have your petty genres, can't we all just agree to disagree?

(okay, I'll admit, rock, metal, blues and the basic genres are fine, but the classification of metal is laughable. It seems as though every time a new band makes it big, there has to be a new genre. I laugh at metal for this reason.)
OneHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: