Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #81
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicafan616
what would 4/10 be?

Exactly what it sounds like: Four beats, with each being equal to 1/10th of a whole note. Of course, you can't communicate 1/10th of a whole note without first establishing what a whole note is, so 4/10 (and other irrational time signatures, like 4/3) can only exist alongside other time signatures like 4/4. By itself, it's just four beats per bar, and may as well just be called 4/4 (or 4/8).

Consider a doubling of tempo. If the tempo doubles, the length of a quarter note is now equal in length to an eighth note at the previous tempo. What if you're writing a piece that makes use of such a tempo change? Would you keep the piece in 4/4 and notate a tempo change, or would you keep the tempo the same and change the time signature from 4/4 to 4/8? The answer is probably "it depends". If you modulate only once, it may be easier just to mark a tempo change, but if you're doing it every bar, it's probably far easier for the performer if you notate it in alternating bars of 4/4 and 4/8, rather than forcing them to keep track of something like "Play in 120bpm...now play at 240...now at 120".

It's the same for 4/10. What if your tempo change results in a beat unit equal to 1/10th of a whole note at the previous tempo? Do you mark a tempo change, or just write a bar of 4/10? Again: It depends. But alone, 4/10 is meaningless.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo Avis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #82
lowbudgetband

MAB has a song in 11/4. I forget which one, but he played it when I saw him live last fall.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #83
metallicafan616
Feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
Exactly what it sounds like: Four beats, with each being equal to 1/10th of a whole note. Of course, you can't communicate 1/10th of a whole note without first establishing what a whole note is, so 4/10 (and other irrational time signatures, like 4/3) can only exist alongside other time signatures like 4/4. By itself, it's just four beats per bar, and may as well just be called 4/4 (or 4/8).

Consider a doubling of tempo. If the tempo doubles, the length of a quarter note is now equal in length to an eighth note at the previous tempo. What if you're writing a piece that makes use of such a tempo change? Would you keep the piece in 4/4 and notate a tempo change, or would you keep the tempo the same and change the time signature from 4/4 to 4/8? The answer is probably "it depends". If you modulate only once, it may be easier just to mark a tempo change, but if you're doing it every bar, it's probably far easier for the performer if you notate it in alternating bars of 4/4 and 4/8, rather than forcing them to keep track of something like "Play in 120bpm...now play at 240...now at 120".

It's the same for 4/10. What if your tempo change results in a beat unit equal to 1/10th of a whole note at the previous tempo? Do you mark a tempo change, or just write a bar of 4/10? Again: It depends. But alone, 4/10 is meaningless.

wow, that just solved my problem with the song im writing that changes tempo all the time

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
metallicafan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #84
whitecastle142

Never thought I'd see the day, but Ethiopia by the Chili Peppers is in 7/8
Sound of Muzak by Porcupine Tree has my favorite 7/4 guitar part ever. The verses to their track "Open Car" are in 17/8.
Right in Two by Tool is one of my favourites by them, and I think it sticks in a 11/4 (or 11/8, not sure) time signature

Alot of bands with wacky time signatures can be kind of annoying to listen to. Check out Thrice. They find a way to make it pretty catchy, and their early stuff really hopped around with time signature changes.
Hold Fast Hope is in 5/4, The Earth Will Shake hops around with 4/4, 7/8, and 6/8, Melting Point of Wax alternates 5/4 with 4/4.
whitecastle142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #85
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Saw Archeo and got excited

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #86
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Seriously?

Waaaay too many zombies kicking around MT these days...
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #87
jimihendrix6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
They've done it a few times, but it's rare. It'd be a real treat to see it live. Schism is probably the most ****ed up song i can think of.

...they play it pretty often. it was on the set list the whole tour when i saw them, its one of their most famous songs.
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #88
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrix6699
...they play it pretty often. it was on the set list the whole tour when i saw them, its one of their most famous songs.

That comment was brought to you courtesy of February 2006, btw.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #89
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

God ****ing Dammit!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #90
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Suggest a song thread.

Rate This Thread: