Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #61
Chrismond

Green Day are awesome - enough said - they are my favourite band and i'm damn proud of it and i'm not a set pop-punk, emo fan i'm just a general rock fan. I laugh at ppl who insult Green Day because they generally don't have a lcue what they are talking about and are just jealous because of the ****ty bands they listen 2 don't get the same amount of well-deserved publicity and record sales of Green Day. Green Day have worked their asses off for years and deserve to be playing Stadiums or whatever the hell they want. Ok...so there not as punk as before? Big Deal? The band has progressed musically with each album and no 2 Green Day albums are similar. I would class them as Pop/Rock with a Punk edge to them. The amount of stick Green Day get is unreal and i don't the stereotyope of every hardcore Green Day fan being emo (thats the perception i get from ppl, not necessarily here) because i am not emo in the slightest and i consider myself to be a huge fan of theirs Anyway...i'm looking fforward to the release of 'The Saints Are Coming' With U2 and of course to their new album which will hopefully be out next year, preferrably early in the year

ROCK ON GREEN DAY!
Chrismond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #62
stampy_69
aLL hAiL tRe CoOl!

I wanna buy it! I only need 3 more GD albums....
My fave album is either Dookie or American Idiot
Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #63
Ellen The Melon
Dry Ice

The 1st Green Day abum i bought wa american idiot then i bought the rest
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #64
nerk13
Your BFF, right?

Dude, Green Day rocks! I love all three of those guys. Billie, Mike, and Tre kick ass! What's ya'll's favorite album? Mine is definitly Warning.
So drive those staples deep
nerk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #65
nerk13
Your BFF, right?

Oh god... I killed the thread. Therefore, I killed Green Day. I am ashamed.

Kidding, this is just a bump. But like I said before, what is ya'll's favorite album? By the way, I just saw their behind the music thing on vh1 and it was pretty interesting. Have any of you seen it? I don't think they let Tre' or Mike talk nearly enough, I was kinda dissappointed. That story about Tre' and that dog was hilarious.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #66
stepco12345
UG's Sadcore Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerk13
Oh god... I killed the thread. Therefore, I killed Green Day. I am ashamed.

Haha n00b!! You idiot.

just kidding...er....maybe

Oh yeah, and finally getting back into GD. (There early stuff). I'm remembering just how different they sounded back then.

-stepco

Last.FM

This is why I'm #Fresh.

2014 UG Awards winner for Favourite "Retired" CC!
I am the greatest!
stepco12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #67
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

I'm going to go through the green day albums 1 by 1

1039 Smoothed out Slappy Hours - probably green day's hardest album. I couldn?t get enough of the solos, they were out of character (I was used to American idiot when I heard it), and amazing. I loved every song on that disk.

Kerplunk - didn?t really appeal to me too much. It was kind of weak in my opinion. There was some good tracks on that cd, my step dad hyped it up before I went and bought it so it could have been a factor on my opinion.

Dookie - I was completely blown away when I first heard it. I listened to it everyday for a month. So incredible, yet so overplayed.

Insomniac - very underrated. I loved the album's combination of energy and laziness. It was like you were very, very tired but you drank 4 pots of coffee.

Nimrod - it is up there in my favorites. I love the sound of it, the more melodic songs, and the ones that hit hard. For example some killer songs are the grouch and scattered. Last ride in was so good. I found a lot of lyrics I wrote fit that song structure, it was an interesting discovery.

Warning - I found this cd at a garage sale, 5 bucks I think, and it was a steal. So good this album was.

Shenanigans - sadly this is the only cd I don?t have.

International Super hits - a compilation of some of green days biggest and best hits, but not all the good songs were on there.

American idiot - I was blown away when I heard this for the very first time, more so than when I heard dookie. It was so new and so different when I heard it on its first spin. Though TV and radio killed it, I still occasionally throw on a tune from that album.

And finally bullet in a bible - it really captured the essence of their live performances (went to a concert back in 2005), I loved it. The DVD was good as well as the cd.

There my green day discography review.

EDIT: sorry about the spelling and grammer errors, microsoft word fixed that up.

Last edited by Musical Meds : 10-26-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Musical Meds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #68
nerk13
Your BFF, right?

^Awesome, dude.
Here, to complete it-
Shenanigans is freakin' awesome. It has a few covers on it, like Tired of Waiting, Outsiders, I Wanna Be on TV, etc. The sound is pretty heavy and loud, like a lighter Insomniac almost. The original songs on there are hilarious. Like Ha Ha You're Dead. Classic. At first I didn't take to it, I was used to Warning, but now I listen to it more than my other CDs.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #69
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

sometimes people forget how good the bay area scene was. every band i have heard from that area i like (ie operation ivy, rancid, pinhead gunpowder, green day). im pretty sure afi is from there, were they part of it?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #70
xArCaDiAx
An Unfortunate Seduction

Location: Member No.3 of Brand New Annonymous. PM MattDaviesFFAF, the_astronaut or ghettohippygirl to join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical Meds
American idiot - I was blown away when I heard this for the very first time, more so than when I heard dookie. It was so new and so different when I heard it on its first spin. Though TV and radio killed it, I still occasionally throw on a tune from that album.

It was so new and different?

You seriously thought so at that time?

Wow...
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #71
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArCaDiAx
It was so new and different?

You seriously thought so at that time?

Wow...

at the time i listened to nu-metal, alt. rock, and rap. mostly three days grace and linkin park.

so in my eyes it was different

the reason bands like sum41 exist is cause of dookie, so now there might be bands who mimic american idiot coming out now, but i got the album the christmas of the year it came out (2004).

and why are you critizing what i thought about the album?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #72
xArCaDiAx
An Unfortunate Seduction

Location: Member No.3 of Brand New Annonymous. PM MattDaviesFFAF, the_astronaut or ghettohippygirl to join.
Quote:
at the time i listened to nu-metal, alt. rock, and rap. mostly three days grace and linkin park.

so in my eyes it was different

the reason bands like sum41 exist is cause of dookie, so now there might be bands who mimic american idiot coming out now, but i got the album the christmas of the year it came out (2004).

and why are you critizing what i thought about the album?

Hmm, well. I also listen to Nu-Metal, Alt. rock and rap as well as many other genres of music. But, if you listen to the radio you can hear just about the same thing. The song "American Idiot" was nothing new. A lot of their other singles off that album were also very very generic. The album itself was nothing special, not at all.

Im aware that bands like Sum 41 exist because of Dookie and Nimrod. Im aware that Green Day's pop-punkish sound back in the 90's gave the go-ahead to many bands. BUT, American Idiot is not an album that bands will need to mimic...because its an album that is the traditional sound of this "generation" of "pop-punk/emo" music.

Im not necessarily criticizing what you thought about the album. I just thought, as well as many many others do, that it was really nothing special...especially because of the music itself. Power-chords and such. Generic "anti-American" lyrics. American Idiot was an album that was overpraised simply because it was Green Day.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #73
nerk13
Your BFF, right?

American Idiot wasn't their most unique album, but it still kicks ass.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #74
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

i was 13 when it came out. I wasnt on UG or had much knowledge of the music world.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #75
xArCaDiAx
An Unfortunate Seduction

Quote:

No...not really. Again, its Green Day. And Green Day, with the release of American Idiot picked up an immense amount of teenybopper fans. That is not a bad thing, if you are the band, but for the most part these fans tend to be like "Holy ****! American Idiot is such a powerful album. I mean, the songs "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are things the Government should pay attention to!!!1!!!!1 "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is a song that is soo powerful. I mean, I've never heard anything like that before." Even though its been done for the past 20 years.....aka....traditional punk music. So, unique..definitely not. Kick ass...can't see how.

EDIT: You were 13 when it came out? Well then...that proves some of my point. No offense, really.

Last edited by xArCaDiAx : 10-29-2006 at 09:55 PM.
xArCaDiAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #76
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

Quote:

edited your post? lol.

EDIT: and about the teen fanboys who praise bj as teh bestest GuitarisT lawls!!!!!!!1!!and american idiot a better album than blood surgar sex magik or any classic albums:

i was once that. then i joined UG and bought all (minus one) of their cds.

still a fan, but not a freak.

and whats wrongs with making music thats mainstream and having a message? whats the difference between having a band on a big label and a band on a small label? more/less exposure?

and really nobody has been saying anything in music for a long time, might aswell say something even if it is a bit generic.

Last edited by Musical Meds : 10-29-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Musical Meds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #77
Otisbum
Missing

Green Day are awesome, one of the first band I listened to. I just wish radio hadn't killed Boulevard of Broken Dreams.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #78
xArCaDiAx
An Unfortunate Seduction

Quote:

EDIT: and about the teen fanboys who praise bj as teh bestest GuitarisT lawls!!!!!!!1!!and american idiot a better album than blood surgar sex magik or any classic albums:

i was once that. then i joined UG and bought all (minus one) of their cds.

still a fan, but not a freak.

and whats wrongs with making music thats mainstream and having a message? whats the difference between having a band on a big label and a band on a small label? more/less exposure?

and really nobody has been saying anything in music for a long time, might aswell say something even if it is a bit generic.

I never said that there was anything wrong with making music that is mainstream and having a message. What I DID say is that their "message" is NOTHING new. The "message" is one that has been done for the past 20+ years. An example would be the Dead Kennedy's...if you have heard/listen to them....and that was in the 80's. BUT today, because they are Green Day, and because they are one of the biggest "pop-rock" (not pop-punk really anymore, but I dont want to get into that) bands today, they have the ability to portray that "message" as brand new. There are probably many bands that have this same message, but because they aren't that popular, it doesn't get out....if you get the picture.

There have been MANY messages in music. People just don't listen to it.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #79
Musical Meds
Medicated State of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArCaDiAx
I never said that there was anything wrong with making music that is mainstream and having a message. What I DID say is that their "message" is NOTHING new. The "message" is one that has been done for the past 20+ years. An example would be the Dead Kennedy's...if you have heard/listen to them....and that was in the 80's. BUT today, because they are Green Day, and because they are one of the biggest "pop-rock" (not pop-punk really anymore, but I dont want to get into that) bands today, they have the ability to portray that "message" as brand new. There are probably many bands that have this same message, but because they aren't that popular, it doesn't get out....if you get the picture.

There have been MANY messages in music. People just don't listen to it.

dont fret, i wasnt making a stab at you, it was kinda to you and it was kind of a general statment. i dont like to get into battles with ugers

i usually lose
Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #80
xArCaDiAx
An Unfortunate Seduction

Haha. No worries.

Rate This Thread: