Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 AM   #41
invincibleneo

ok I guess the strings go through the body and anchor on the opposite side of the bridge. The advantage of this is that all the tension of the string is limited between the headstock and the bridge which results in a better attack. Since the string is almost 90 at the bridge.

I dont know a disadvantage for this. Probably someone else miht know. PM ave_MC h might tell you.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #42
C-Dextrous
The C is for 'Cardinal.'

I've made a couple up (I think)

I use this one for "Miss You" by Incubus' acoustic version - not sure if it's the one they use. I call it "Easy D" - it basically means you can play a D chord by moving a whole C chord 2 frets up.

D A D A B F#

Tune the bottom down to an octave lower than the 4th, tune the 3rd up to an octave higher than the 5th, and tune the 1st up to 7th fret of the 2nd.

The intro being played as

F#|---------------------------|
B |---------------------------|
A |-----------------------<5>-|
D |-----0-----------0---0-----|
A |---4---4---4---4---4-------|
D |-0-------0---5-------------|

(where <x> is a harmonic), and the chords are -0-5-4-0-3-0- -5-4-0-0-3-0-

...and for a couple of my songs I use this tuning, which I call "Easy C"

C G D G C E

Tune the 2nd to 5th fret on the 3rd, tune the 6th to 2 octaves below the new 2nd string note, then tune the 5th to an octave below the 3rd.

OR

Tune the 2nd to 5th fret on the 3rd, tune the 5th down to 3rd fret on the 6th, tune the 6th down to an octave below 5th fret on the 6th. Tune the 2nd to 5th fret on the 3rd.

A C chord can now be played by as -0-0-2-0-0-0-
Old 11-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #43
C-Dextrous
The C is for 'Cardinal.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1991
how do i tune to half step down e flat...divine intervention by tbs? i think that is wat it was...i will double check...wat would the things be at on teh tuner

That tuning is in the load that Logz put in at the very beginning of this thread.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #44
aSh_SG
Plethera oblivion

Is there a way that i can mix tunings so that one guitar is in a low tuning and another in a higher one? If so can you tell me a low tuning that goes good with Drop-D?
******-DURRRRRRRR!

Last edited by aSh_SG : 11-13-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #45
C-Dextrous
The C is for 'Cardinal.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSh_SG
Is there a way that i can mix tunings so that one guitar is in a low tuning and another in a higher one? If so can you tell me a low tuning that goes good with Drop-D?

You can mix any tunings together as long as you work out how to play certain chords. Drop D works well with DADGAD though. If you tune the whole guitar down to D standard and put an unjoined capo on second fret (ie. a trigger or a kyser - not a wraparound) on all the strings but the thickest, you have a drop D effect but your other chords won't change shape (eg. for a G chord you don't need to play your root note on the 5th fret anymore). If you need an E in the bass though you need to use your thumb.

Masters student, Guitar & Piano teacher, Newcastle, UK
Available for hire to play and sing at weddings and other functions

email stormy.waters@btinternet.com

LINKS: My Myspace TaintedLover.com

Last edited by C-Dextrous : 11-18-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #46
blaue Augen
Pink Hair is awesome

Hey. I was wondering; does atleast one string need to be in tune for the standard E A D G B e tuning? I haven't tuned by ear yet, and I'm wondering if the average tuning method listed without any strings in tune is the way to go.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #47
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Yeah, to use these methods assume you are already in tune.

I tune by ear because it's quicker and IMO easier than using a tuner, but every now and then I use a tuner to make sure I'm tuned to E rather than slightly flat. it IS possible to learn to tune without using a tuner at all, just by memorising the pitch of the low E string. Logz I believe can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #48
alex_haeni
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaue Augen
Hey. I was wondering; does atleast one string need to be in tune for the standard E A D G B e tuning? I haven't tuned by ear yet, and I'm wondering if the average tuning method listed without any strings in tune is the way to go.

In most cases it has to be. some people can tune by ear and it can be perfect. Some argue if you develop that ability or if it's from birth. but yes, at least one string has to be in tune.

-Alex.

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Old 11-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #49
KoRnOnA6String
My user-name is a LIE!

Nice work on posting the tunings! I have a tuning related question, although it's a lot to do with the gauges.
I have a 7 stringer, and I want to use a 'customised' tuning, namely: G# C# G# C# F# A# D#.
Does anyone have any idea on which gauge is best for this? I was personally thinking
(from 1st to 7th): .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052, and then for my extra Bass string a .064. Is this correct, or do have to use different strings?
(I've got an Ibanez RG 7321, fixed bridge)
Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #50
guitarpunk21

how i tune to C a d g b e

my gear
Ibanez GRX40 guitar
Roland Cube 60 Amp
Ibanez IBZ10G Amp

Member of
[bThe UG Asian Invasion![/b]
Pm night_lights to join the hallowed Asian ranks (Over 2000members)
Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #51
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnOnA6String
Nice work on posting the tunings! I have a tuning related question, although it's a lot to do with the gauges.
I have a 7 stringer, and I want to use a 'customised' tuning, namely: G# C# G# C# F# A# D#.
Does anyone have any idea on which gauge is best for this? I was personally thinking
(from 1st to 7th): .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052, and then for my extra Bass string a .064. Is this correct, or do have to use different strings?
(I've got an Ibanez RG 7321, fixed bridge)

Those sound OK to me.

CADGBe:

Play the E string at the 9th fret and the A string open. Retune the E string to match the A string.

Quote:

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #52
zekk
I am me as you are we

I just made up a tuning I've descovered can be very nice for slide.

e a d D A E (Low to high)

To tune to this, don't try to tune your sharp strings up to it, downtune them to it. Match the sharp to its opposing low.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #53
Dersharpy
Existing Person

My sister untuned my guitar today by playing with the knobs and I was forced to retune it by ear(I normally borrow my friends electric tuner). I'm so horrible with it, it tooks me 20 minutes and the only way I could do it was referencing to songs I knew how to play. I never can do it that way where you go down to the fifth of each fret(fourth for the g-string).
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #54
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

When the two notes are getting close to each other, the guitar starts to reverberate as the sound waves go in and out of phase.

When the two notes are exactly the same, there are no reverberations, as the sound waves are always in phase, the closer you are to being in tune, the longer the reverberations.

Try playing the 12th fret harmonic on the low E, and the open D, then slowly slackening the E string, you should be able to hear them then.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #55
Tsunoyukami

I just thought I would add in the strange tuning for 'There There' by Radiohead (on Hail to the Thief). I know it can be played in an open tuning, but this is the way that Thom plays it live:

D B D G B E (I believe this would be open B6 tuning, but I'm not 100% sure)

1. Tune your guitar in standard tuning.
2. Hold the thick E string down at the 7th fret and tune it down until it matches your open A string.
3. Hold the A strign at the 3rd fret and tune it up until it matches the open D string.

To get back into standard tuning follow these steps:

1. Hold the A string at the 5th fret and tune it down until it matches the open D string.
2. Hold the thick E string at the 5th fret and tune it up until it matches your open A string (after you've followed step 1).

I thought I'd offer this because when I was learning from some tabs and watching a live video the tabs were incorrect so I was rather confused. This turns out to be how Thom plays it. Johnny plays in standard tuning though.

Also I have a small question: when I tune by harmonics it seems taht by the end my thin e and b strings are slightly flat, and my thick E is tuned up sharp. I know that I have tuned them perfectly because there is no warble at all or any such sound, but is this normal?

Last edited by Tsunoyukami : 12-08-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #56
jdthedruid

Just wondering, wouldn't it be possible to tune to like, Drop-D#, by raising all the other strings by half a step? Like,

D# - A# - D# - G# - C- F

Right? I think it's correct. I like it, cause you can do the easy power chords, but the strings aren't too floppy. Does it work, or did I screw up? Is it already on there?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #57
deluxity
...leading to death

[QUOTE=Logz]
Standard to other tunings

Standard Tuning: E A D G B e
  1. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 5th fret Low E string.
  2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
  3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
  4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
  5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

i quote logz, there's nothing wrong with your guitar
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #58
Tenacious Me
Huh?

Hey I need to find out how to tune to FACFCF

could any one tell me how to by saying like "then tune the next string till it is sychronized with the 7th fret of the above string" like that. Any help is appreciated
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #59
immolat1on

Can some one post intrusctions on how to tune:

G G D G B D

Eagles of Death Metal use it in "Cherry Cola"
Old 12-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #60
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

FACFCF

1. Play 4th fret E string and A string open. Retune E string to match A string
2. Play 7th fret D string and G string open. Retune D string to match G string
3. Play 6th fret G string and B string open. Retune G string to match B string
4. Play 4th fret B string and e string open. Retune B string to match e string
5. Play 5th fret B string and e string open. Retune e string to match B string.

GGDGBD

1. Play 2nd fret E string and A string open. Retune E string to match A string.
2. Play E string open and A string open. Retune A string to match E string
3. Play 3rd fret B string and High E open. Retune High E to match 3rd fret B string.

Watch that low E string, you're tuning it up quite a bit, so I'd recommend using very light strings.

Quote:

Quote:

Rate This Thread: