Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout1011
And me!

Although I still haven't heard Det Frysende Nordariket. Should get around to that.

Haha, I forgot

That's actually my favorite work of his. I only heard it once but it was magical and instantly became my favorite.

^ It's a great ambient work, to be sure. It's put me to sleep a few times recently.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
linfield4466
The Kvltivat0r

I have both the Hardangervidda albums. Some of the best ambient work I've heard (aside from Burzum. No one touches Burzum). The black metal albums are proving to be a royal bitch in the ass to hunt down... and pricey!
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

linfield4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden

Very much so.

I just get aggravated when people instantly compare him to Burzum. Whole different style and league.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #24
Dylar
Dr. Communazi, Ph.D

Ildjarn defies the casual listening habits of the contemporary metal fan, and hence, remains the least understood of the titans of Norwegian black metal.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #25
Deplorable
LIVING HARDCORE RADIKULT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar
Ildjarn defies the casual listening habits of the contemporary metal fan, and hence, remains the least understood of the titans of Norwegian black metal.

You're... alive...
Deplorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar

Basically, yeah.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Ildjarn was the only black metal band to distill the feral essence of nature into its purest form. No band before and no band to come will ever approach the level of anti-humanist hatred of this band.

As an interesting aside, playing Strength and Anger in the presence of a poser will actually cause their head to explode like that dude in Scanners.
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy

I went to turn on Forest Poetry, and decided to pull up the lyrics first. Then I discovered that he never released the lyrics so metal-archives doesn't have them. Discuss.. Or find me the lyrics cause I'm too lazy to google it.. Either way.
jazar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #29
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar94
I went to turn on Forest Poetry, and decided to pull up the lyrics first. Then I discovered that he never released the lyrics so metal-archives doesn't have them. Discuss.. Or find me the lyrics cause I'm too lazy to google it.. Either way.

Vidar only released lyrics for a single song. It's the first song off the self-titled Ildjarn-Hidhogg album.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy

In a way I could see how that'd serve a purpose. Instead of interpreting the lyrics, it forces you to find the meaning from the music itself.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #31
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Heard the band before, even read the guys Final Statements, but I just don't understand the appeal. The music doesn't in any way give off a foresty or nature-like vibe, instead just gives off the sense that it's been made to give off extreme brutality, but that's all it gives off.

Overall, from what I've heard it doesn't make me feel impressed by the atmosphere, instead I'm left in a state of boredom.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #32
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar94
In a way I could see how that'd serve a purpose. Instead of interpreting the lyrics, it forces you to find the meaning from the music itself.

I don't recall ever reading or hearing the exact reasons for this choice, but many other black metal artists do it for the reason you mention.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #33
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Heard the band before, even read the guys Final Statements, but I just don't understand the appeal. The music doesn't in any way give off a foresty or nature-like vibe, instead just gives off the sense that it's been made to give off extreme brutality, but that's all it gives off.

Overall, from what I've heard it doesn't make me feel impressed by the atmosphere, instead I'm left in a state of boredom.
Hrm, perhaps you're listening for the wrong things... to me, it does evince nature, just not in a typical, cliche manner. Riffmast said in another thread that Ildjarn represents natural violence, like wolves fighting over a carcass, or something, which is a fairly apt description IMO. The imagery I get from Ildjarn is decidedly bleak and "human", so in that way I would say it is natural, as opposed to dreamlike in the manner of say... Burzum.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #34
Riffmast
Sperm Of Andychrist

Yeah exactly, it's not nature like" law di daw I'm in a wonderful forest" kind of worship of nature, it's more so a representation of natural law,and a certain feral essence that stands against humanist propaganda. It always seemed to me that the point of Ildjarn, and it's stripped down approach was to show a removal of socialized human judgement and the human ego, that clouds people abilities to look beyond their own perspective and look at the world as a whole.It is understanding that things are never "ought to be", the wolves will tear at the carcass for food, and the action of it is in no way evil or good, it just is what it is, that judgement afterwards is plastic. Apply this outlook on a more grand sense and you basically have Ildjarn.

Riffmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
progbass
UG Resident

Ildjarn - devoid of morality (it just is)
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #36
jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy

I think most of the chaotic natural feel really comes from the production. If the production was of a higher quality, it just wouldnt give off the same vibe. Then again, I guess you could say that about most black metal.

Devoid of morality? Maybe, man, maybe.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #37
Riffmast
Sperm Of Andychrist

Not just the production, but the repetition and minimalism as well, the entire low-fi and stripped down approach makes for the full package.

Riffmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Ildjarn catalogue being re-released.
Quote:
During most of its active life, this one-man band (with occasional collaborators) was ignored for being primitive, primal, raw and feral. Its few-chord songs and droning incessant beat made it an obvious target for mockery; from a distance, it sounded like a mis-tuned Toyota with a broken fan belt.

However, as the 1990s wore on and it became clear that black metal had expressed itself fully and wasn’t “coming back,” people listened to the advice of our reviews and decided that Ildjarn was, after all, part of the essential black metal collection.

In the mid-2000s, Ildjarn re-surfaced with a spate of re-releases on Northern Heritage Records and Full Moon Productions, but then vanished as its creator moved on to other things. However, as of this month, Season of Mist Records plans to re-release the entire Ildjarn catalogue, first digitally and later, on CD and LP.

Full article

Good news. Surprised it's not already here.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #39
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang
Like Burzum, but a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
technicolour
Lupercal

Quote:
Originally Posted by linfield4466
I have both the Hardangervidda albums. Some of the best ambient work I've heard (aside from Burzum. No one touches Burzum). The black metal albums are proving to be a royal bitch in the ass to hunt down... and pricey!

Don't know if this is still relevant but I found a forest poetry cassette on ebay easily enough, it was probably $5-10.

Rate This Thread: