Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

Your personal top ten guitarists... but why..?

Dear Ug'ers.

Please list your top ten guitar players in asccending order and give reasons as to why.

Here's mine:

10. Jake Burns - SLF: I think that the guy is a pretty good guitar player. he writes and sings, and has a nice tone, too.
9. Mick Jones - The Clash: Mick Jones is great for guitar licks. He also does a hot solo on Groovy Times. One thing Mick Jones taught me is to hum a solo, then have a go at it. That way, you get the "perfect" solo, and it's very melodic.
8. East bay Ray - dead kennedys: innovative, creative, has a trademark delay sound. Good trebly tone on FFFRV
7. Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath: although I don't even like Sabbath very much, Tony Iommi is a great player, of this there can be no doubt. Not only is he a cripple, but his material is simple yet effective.
6. Ross Friedman - The Dictators: ahead of his time so much. ROSS FRIEDMAN GOT THERE FIRST! If I weren't so lazy, I'd play the guitar like Ross Friedman. But If i weren't so lazy, to quote Jimmy Pursey "I just wouldn't be me".
5. Brian Setzer - Stray cats: The best rockabilly guitar player in the world. No one does jazz chords anywhere near as well.
4. Steve Jones - Sex Pistols: His guitar sound is one of the best ever captured, and his lines arekept interesting
3. Johnny Thunders - Dolls/Heartbreakers: The ultimate guitar player. He played whatever the **** he wanted, and didn't give a **** about technique. He pretty much invented the definitive overdrive sound... before overdrive was even "invented".
2. Micky Beaufoy - CockSParrer. The way the guy does is solos is great. They're often major diatonic, which is a bit different: He also has very good tone
1. Paul Weller - The Jam: Not only is Paul Weller an amazing guitar player in terms of creativity and interesting lines, but the guy sings lead vocals too. Thanks to his trademark rickenbacker and jack covered cabinet, his sound is very distinctive too. The greatest british songwriter or all time.

RULES: No flaming, people are entitled to their opinions, and these opinions are entitled to be debated, but never condemned.

Also bear in mind that this is the punk forum, too.

Last edited by BrianApocalypse : 10-05-2006 at 09:11 PM.
BrianApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
uterus
Banned

since when is sabbath punk? answer, thank you.
uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

I didn't say punk guitarists, I said guitarists that influence your punk sound.

That's why I didn't put that at the top.

The footnote is only to prevent 111!!OmG pUnK sUx0rZzZ shift+one!!!!!1111

Besides, Sabbath's chord tone was essentially the basis for the many punk bands. Glen Danzig played in a Sabbath tribute band shortly before the misfits.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
lisagabe
UG Newbie

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Dimbag Darell Abotts
4. Stivie ray Vaughn
5. Yngwie Malmsteen
6. Steve Vai or Joe Satriani(couldent decide!)
7. Adrian Smith
8. Eric Clapton
9.Slash
10.BucketHead
lisagabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
lisagabe
UG Newbie

punk sucks, heres a better list^
lisagabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagabe

Kill yourself.

JIVE TURKEY PIE
hardrock1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
Pick It Up123

Kill yourself. ^

well put...jimmy page is Dick.
Punk is good.
Pick It Up123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
LoudnSnotty138
Book Attack!

Quote:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Dimbag Darell Abotts
4. Stivie ray Vaughn
5. Yngwie Malmsteen
6. Steve Vai or Joe Satriani(couldent decide!)
7. Adrian Smith
8. Eric Clapton
9.Slash
10.BucketHead

Hmm ten guitarists i hate except jimi i like some of his stuff.

oh and shred isnt music either so you can erase your ****ty joe satrini and vai.

And you like pantera so leave, pantera ****ing sucks.

Last edited by LoudnSnotty138 : 10-05-2006 at 09:42 PM.
LoudnSnotty138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

Quote:

*Rolls eyes* This is exactly what I'm talking about.

PS.) You were supposed to post your guitarists in ascending order. You listed them in descending order. I think that this snot nosed 10 year old with a floyd rose deserves a warning.

Last edited by BrianApocalypse : 10-05-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!

10. Billy Zoom - X - Not much to say other than they guy can play. Just another piece of evidence that there are talented punk musicians.

9.Deniz Tek - Radio Birdman - Awesome leads and nice tone.

8. Greg Ginn - Black Flag - I think he is occasionally overrated as a guitarist, but he wasn't bad and he played lots of interesting stuff.

7. Ron Emory - T.S.O.L. - Ron Emory was nothing special, but he was solid and I learned a lot of things from listening to him play.

6. Tim Armstrong - Operation Ivy - It pains me to write his name, but I definitely have gained an influence from his guitar work in Op Ivy.

5. Ross Friedman - The Dictators - I probably wouldn't have mentioned Ross The Boss if he wasn't in the first list, but he was way ahead of his time with the stuff he was playing.

4. Tim Kerr - Big Boys - Nothing fancy, just solid guitar playing. He had a wide range of styles and did lots of interesting stuff with harmonics.

3. Joe Baiza - Saccharine Trust - Joe Baiza was super creative. Paganicons has some of my favorite guitar playing in all of punk on it.

2. Robert Quine - Voidoids - One of the most underrated guitarists ever if you ask me. His leads were incredible. Not much else to say about that.

1. D. Boon - Minutemen - D. Boon was an innovator on guitar. His solos were great, his rythm was great - I guess just about everything he did was good. I've probably improved more at guitar from listening to D. Boon than any other guitarist I've listened to.
opivy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

1. Robert Quine Because of his ability to take a solo to the brink of theoretical insanity and still make sense.
2. Ron Asheton Simple, destructive, primitive leads, and crunchy riffs that made the stooges the stooges. Fuck James Williamson.
3. Tom Verlaine and RIchard Lloyd Lloyd was so unorthodox and clever with his playing, and Verlaine was very skilled. Together they created some of the most interesting interlocking guitar parts of all time.
4. Ross Freidman Large, loud, and always outrageous, his licks were excessive far before excess was cool.
5. Lou Reed His playing is sometimes overlooked, but unique solos like the two found in "I heard Her Call my Name" could certainly split one's mind open.
6. Deniz Tek He could use nothing but the pentatonic scale for the rest of his life and he still wouldn't get repetetive.
7. Billy Zoom For his ability to play hot rockabilly licks with an effortless smile.
8. Keith Richards Lazy, Sloppy, and totally badass.
9. Johnny Thunders Cuz I like his style
10. Johnny Ramone Perhaps one of the most influential guitarists ever
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #12
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!

^That's a nice list.
opivy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #13
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

This is a great thread. By reading other contributor's lists, I can learn which guitarists I've overlooked to check out.

If everyone does the same, then we'll all be **** hot at guitar very soon.

Last edited by BrianApocalypse : 10-05-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work

10. Jefferey Erg - Guitarist for the Ergs, he blends a bunch of different styles together. He's like a cross between Johnny Ramone, Greg Ginn, Tom Verlaine, and Mick Jones. He always throws in the exact right thing at the right time. A song might be good, but his little touches make it great.
9. Spike Cassidy - Again, you guys might not know who this is, but he's the guitarist for D.R.I. I love how he plays extremely fast, but stays on beat all the time, and he just plays what the song needs. Not too many solos, but his playing is really good.
8. Kerry Martinez - You guys might not know who this is, but he's the guitarist for U.S. Bombs. He has a great lead style, very unique, He cuts through the mix without overshadowing the rest of the band.
7. Greg Hetson - Everything he plays on is awesome. Whether he's playing the frantic punk of the Circle Jerks, doing some sick melody in Bad Religion, or playing some Red Kross, it's awesome. His playing sounds very urgent and energetic, a vibe I strive to get.
6. Tom Verlaine - He comes through in my single note riffs a lot. He's a great player with some very inventive songs. I also love how his lead playing meshes so well with rhythym playing.
5. Chuck Berry - No true rock n' roll (punk or not) guitarist is complete without hearing some Chuck Berry. Great for those big, loud, bluesy opening leads to a song.
4. Mick Jones - He's a big influence on my lead playing. I love his solos, not too complicated, but not too simple, just nice melodies going along with the song while still being interesting. My influence from him comes through a lot in my single note riffs, not my solos, though.
3. Johnny Ramone - As most of you know, I have a bit of an obsession with the Ramones. Although Johnny wasn't a particularly talented guitarist, his playing sounded great. I love to use his poppy yet menacing downstroke style for my rythym playing, just pounding away on it. This is where a lot of the "poppiness" in my pop-punk band comes from; my influence from Johnny Ramone as a rhythym guitarist.
2. Brian Setzer - This is more who I try to sound like than what I actually sound like. However, the influence still comes through in my playing. I just love Brian Setzer's music, and he has great talent. His guitar playing is just so infectious and awesome. I'll probably never be able to play like him, but I can try.
1. Slash - I know, you're all thinking, "What the fuck is he talking about?" but it's true. All my blues/rock n' roll guitar playing sounds a lot like Slash. I think it sounds good, too. I'm a decently big GNR fan, but they're not making my top 10 anytime soon. I just like them, but I love Slash's guitar playing and mine sounds a lot like it.

JIVE TURKEY PIE
hardrock1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
whyvern
jet skis on the reg

I'm not gonna name people, I'm gonna name bands that worked together as a cohesive unit that influnced my playing:

1. The Catholic Boys - the way they effortlessly seem to weave in and out with guitar, drums and bass, the whole stop/start nature of them, all of it is really brilliant much more complex than many punk bands today and certainly more intricate than many punk bands in the past. Also the idea of garage punk and hardcore punk fusion that they helped popularize has influenced a great deal of punk rock within the last couple of years. Just listen to Psychic Voodo Mind Control.
2. Onion Flavored Rings - I never considered using open chords to play punk rock until I heard this band, them and the Pine Hill Haints were my big influences getting into and starting a folk punk band, I hadn't even heard against me until Nestor Makhno played our 20th show or something.
3. The Pine Hill Haints - proved to me that you can take something old and make it sound new and exciting.
4. The Can Kickers - they're the Ramones of Old-Timey music, not much else needs to be said.
5. Magazine Love - they only had 3 songs, but the way they combine synth punk, indie rock, and pure KBD punk rock led me to realize how one can meld punk rock to make something exciting out of it, and you don't have to move to New York or LA to do it.
6. Bent Outta Shape - taught me that guitar solos can work with punk rock and that well planned out songwriting can sometimes work for the better in punk music.
7.The Oblivians - they wrote ****** Rich and Blew My Cool. Listen to them and I think you'll get it.
8. Mystery Girls - for their use of blues in punk rock and making work so well. Listen to their first album particularly Brown Bag Blues and Finger on the Grain.
9. The Rudy Banes Shutdown - amazing live performance and guitarwork, it's hard to explain unless you've seen them live.
10. The Counterclockwise - dueling the banjo and guitar and never resorting to using an electric and making it rock much harder than alot of electric bands playing today do.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #16
pistols
i no longer like chicken

I'm not necessarily a big fan of any of these guitarists, but they influenced me either directly or indirectly in a big way.

10. Chuck Berry A lot of my slower solo's end up sounding like Chuck Berry, even though I have only heard Johnny B Goode (as far as I can remember). That song just gave me a lot of great ideas, and I suppose the fact that a lot of punk guitarists were hugely influenced by him makes me sound a lot like him as well.
9. Greg Ginn I like how he plays notes out of whichever scale he's playing in, it makes him sound completely different to any other guitarist I have ever heard. I use that a lot when I have a lead line that I just rip into and play as fast as I can.
8. EVH It's only really one technique, that I never noticed until I read some article on him. Apparently, so that he sounds faster, he'll play stuff anywhere on the fretboard, then go to an open note. I usually don't do it so I sound faster, it just gives some different feel that I like.
7. Kurt Cobain I like the way Kurt can consistently write great riffs. In my opinion, the only other person who could do that was Tony Iommi. He inspired me to **** around with the guitar and get all the feedback, and combine any weird influences I have to make a new sound. I get sick of how people say he sucks because he couldn't shred. He had a different style, don't have a ****ing fit over it.
6. Deniz Tek I love the way he always either wrote great lead lines, or used great lead lines to compliment his rythm stuff (by that I mean using the Hawii 5-0 theme in Aloha Steve and Danno.) And the whole rythm section of the band made me think about having one guitar playing a certain style over a guitar playing a completely different style. And I'm not going to give up my brilliant idea for you all to copy
5. Buzzcocks I like how they could make a good mix of pop and punk and not sound like the ramones. And I got a lot of good ideas from songs like 'boredom' where the solo is just 2 notes played over and over. And stuff like 'ever fallen in love' helped me to put catchy pop melodies into punk songs.
4. Scotty Moore He was probably the first guitarist that made me think about using appreggio's to make melodies to base a song around. And he was also the first guitarist to make me think about using chords in solo's. He's every bit as good a rockabilly guitarist as Brian Setzer, just in a different way.
3. The Damned From the albums 'damned damned damned' and phantasmagoria, they gave me a lot of good ideas. They made me think of using simple, low distortion punk, and they made me think of using single note lines throughout a song, like in the "gothic rock" style.
2. Cheetah Chrome Taught me that you can slow punk right down, make it depressing, but still be a kick arse band. I love his lead style, and he could write great riffs as well. But the most influential member of the dead boys for me was Stiv.
1. Johnny Thunders Despite the fact that I only have a New York Dolls best of and a couple of other songs on various cd's and dvd's, he taught me more about the guitar than anyone else. I love the way he just rips into solo's, and his tone sounds like noone else I've heard. And the most important thing he showed me was "it's not about the technique, it's about the attitude"

that is what girls find attractive.
pistols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #17
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I didn't know Mick Jones hummed his solos.

That's actually a really good idea. It can help you discover things you might not otherwise (for me at least)
Old 10-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #18
damn-right!
good for nothin'

only did 5 coz i gotta go to work haha

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Not punk i know, but for me personally, his music has energy and passion, two things that are very important in a punk guitarist.

4. Chuck Berry

Pistols already nicked this one but i have to agree for the exact same reason haha

3. Anton Drongo

Nothing spectacular at all, but he is the epitome of a punk rock guitarist, fairly simple but solid and strong. Theres a fever in the chords he plays and even if its only the bare minimum of guitaring, that fever makes the world of difference.

2. Captain Sensible

The first time i saw the damned with captain on guitar i swear i nearly wet myself haha he's fantastic, he played guitar with the mic stand, a beer can, and whats more he played it well.

1. jake Burns

Stiff little fingers have been my favourite band since i first heard them nearly 14 years ago. I cant get enough of them. The guitaring manages to stay raw and passionate whilst demonstrating that punk is not limited to three chords and a safety pin.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #19
MattTheArsonist
Registered Stooge

Hmmm. This is in no order but:

10. Tony Iommi - Simple, but innovative and creative, guitarist. I love his riffs and licks, and his solos really have a lot of power to them. He created and defined metal music, and he's just great all around. "Paranoid" is really an amazing album.

9. East Bay Ray - He had such a different style than all his contemporaries. He did a lot of **** that none of the other hardcore guitarists would ever dream of doing. He had a very haunting tone.

8. Billy Zoom - Also, an innovater. He combined rockabilly and straight punk and made some great tunes.

7. Lyle Preslar/Brian Baker - I loved the stuff they did in Minor Threat.

6. Kurt Cobain - Yeah, he's simple and wasn't all that talented guitar player. But he was a talented and creative songwriter.

5. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. He's the most creative guitar player in modern times. His material with the Mars Volta and At the Drive-In is flawless.

4. Pat Smear - I love his energetic, frenzied style.

3. Dr. Know - Fast as shit.

2. Jimmy Page - Very bluesy, and yeah. I just like him. Don't have a reason other than he rocks.

1. Greg Ginn - I love all his work. Very jazz/metalish towards the end of Black Flag, like a mix of Miles Davis trumpeting and Black Sabbath guitaring. Very fast and aggressive too. Really can't go wrong with Ginn.
MattTheArsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #20
radio_schizo
don't look now

Okay here's my list. I couldn't put it in any order as they are all so different from each other.

D Boon- such a versatile guitarist from punk, funk, country, folk, flamenco etc. Very distictive tone and playing style.

Bubba Dupree- Guitarist for hardcore punk band VOID. Such raw messy energy. Like a pissed off Hendrix on speed playing Motorhead songs.

Scott Ian- When I'm in a chug mode I've gotta listen to some S.O.D or Anthrax. Damn his riffs are chuggy.

Bo Diddley- I love how rhythm plays such a strong role in his music. Definatley a strong influence on my guitar playing.

Marc Bolan- People underestimate Bolan's guitar skills, but I've always been a fan of his style. Aside from the great catchy riffs he's made and trippy psychedelic folk songs he also could bust out some sweet solo's.

Hugh Cornwell- the perfect balance of melody and aggression in Hugh's playing. Plus he wrote some of the best solo's ever IMO.

Steve Albini- I especially like Albini's guitar playing in Big Black, mainly for his unorthodox approach to playing and buzzsaw tone. A very dark & aggressive sound.

Paul Weller- I love his jagged aggressive style, and of course that iconic Rickenbacker tone.

Dr Know- He sure can play. I love his solo's especially.

Roddy Radiation- I love the diversity and subtlety of his guitar playing in The Specials. Every little lead is just perfect.

Last edited by radio_schizo : 10-06-2006 at 06:48 AM.
radio_schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: