Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #21
Andrewbiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwig
Thanks Green Day Fan 182 for totally not liking decent music. The Falcon are a fu-kking punk supergroup. What next, you're gonna say the Lawrence Arms suck? Fu-Ck you, asshole. Go jerk off to your advance copy of the new MCR album.

The Lawrence Arms to suck, but this is a thread about Alk3 so if you carry on being an asshole you will be warned.

(however, I do complement you on your name - so long as it is actually in reference to the band)

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #22
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

Quote:
Thanks Green Day Fan 182 for totally not liking decent music. The Falcon are a fu-kking punk supergroup. What next, you're gonna say the Lawrence Arms suck? Fu-Ck you, asshole. Go jerk off to your advance copy of the new MCR album.

Greenfinger has nothing to do with the band Green Day. When did I say Lawrence Arms sucks? When did I say I like MCR?

And on top of all this, The Falcon is not a punk supergroup. Most of the members do not come from 'punk' bands, unless your definition is quite bent. I've listened to enough 'real punk' to tell you that much.

Tuffers, just because Derek can play all of those instruments doesn't mean he writes the damn songs. Guitar and Bass, which are my personal favorites on any Alk3 album, are all written by Matt and Dan. I've never considered any of their drummers to be too special. Except for Mike Felumlee. I always did love the 'Take Lots With Alcohol' intro. Mmmm. Sure, Derek can play them after they've been written, but why in the hell does that matter? I can do that too.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for

Last edited by Greenfinger182 : 10-09-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Greenfinger182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodoisdead
get a haircut.

Lolz. Listen to this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

the_astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #24
bigwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbiles
The Lawrence Arms to suck, but this is a thread about Alk3 so if you carry on being an asshole you will be warned.

(however, I do complement you on your name - so long as it is actually in reference to the band)

Yes, ofcourse it's in reference to THEE Bigwig.

I apologize for being a douchebag. I have this thing where if somebody disagrees with me musically, I have to **** on them. It's really nothing personal. Greenfinger kid, I'm sorry, can we be friends?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #25
bigwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfinger182
Greenfinger has nothing to do with the band Green Day. When did I say Lawrence Arms sucks? When did I say I like MCR?

And on top of all this, The Falcon is not a punk supergroup. Most of the members do not come from 'punk' bands, unless your definition is quite bent. I've listened to enough 'real punk' to tell you that much.

Tuffers, just because Derek can play all of those instruments doesn't mean he writes the damn songs. Guitar and Bass, which are my personal favorites on any Alk3 album, are all written by Matt and Dan. I've never considered any of their drummers to be too special. Except for Mike Felumlee. I always did love the 'Take Lots With Alcohol' intro. Mmmm. Sure, Derek can play them after they've been written, but why in the hell does that matter? I can do that too.

Well, people define punk in many ways. It's a lot like metal, there are different sub genres. I don't think there are any true punk bands. Who's to say what's punk and what's not? Punks these days are apathetic, walking cliches. I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but my experience with the "punk" community has always been sort of like "hey man, let's listen to the Misfits and get wasted. Yeah, **** Bush!"*goes over and kicks a bottle to prove just how punk they are* To me, punk is music like Rise Against, Strung Out, The Lawrence Arms, Strike Anywhere, Alkaline Trio, Crime In Stereo, No Trigger, etc... You might not agree with my views on this, but they are my own. I cannot identify with 95% of what people would call "true punk bands" because it's basically the same exact music with the same exact lyrics over and over again. Of course, there are exceptions, but the majority of it is the same.

Anyway, back to the topic, Alkaline Trio wouldn't be Alkaline Trio if it weren't for both guys. You can't have one without the other. I remember listening to Maybe I'll catch Fire when it came out and loving dan's songs more so than matt's. ON THE OTHER HAND, Matt also sings on one of my favorite alk3 songs "Nose Over Tail". So, really, it's up to both of them to give us the full alkaline trio experience.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #26
bigwig

Quote:
get a haircut.

Wear tighter pants.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #27
Tuffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfinger182

Derek wrote the music for All on Black which is a pretty fine effort, and considering he is one third of the band i'd say he has a considerable input on song structure and helps with Guitar and Bass parts.

Besides my comment was tongue-in-cheek, there is no need to get wound up on an internet forum.

Last edited by Tuffers : 10-10-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Tuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #28
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffers
Besides my comment was tongue-in-cheek, there is no need to get wound up on an internet forum.

lol Who's getting wound up?

Quote:
Well, people define punk in many ways. It's a lot like metal, there are different sub genres. I don't think there are any true punk bands. Who's to say what's punk and what's not? Punks these days are apathetic, walking cliches. I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but my experience with the "punk" community has always been sort of like "hey man, let's listen to the Misfits and get wasted. Yeah, **** Bush!"*goes over and kicks a bottle to prove just how punk they are* To me, punk is music like Rise Against, Strung Out, The Lawrence Arms, Strike Anywhere, Alkaline Trio, Crime In Stereo, No Trigger, etc... You might not agree with my views on this, but they are my own. I cannot identify with 95% of what people would call "true punk bands" because it's basically the same exact music with the same exact lyrics over and over again. Of course, there are exceptions, but the majority of it is the same.

For the record, punk originally sprung out of politics and a general opposition to them, and many believe that punk bands must have a stand on politics while incorporating them into their songs, such as Anti-Flag and, as you already said, Rise Against (actually, those two were touring together).

Anyway, I don't understand your definition for what you consider punk bands. You just list a bunch of bands you think are punk. Why do you think they're what should really be considered punk? Because the other ones are walking cliches? That's really not a great reason.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #29
frodoisdead
Love, Ire & Song.

Quote:
Wear tighter pants.

they do tighter pants?!

i wear girls jeans already, mannn.

emos forever
:-(
frodoisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #30
Adarsh
Registered Loser

Quote:
I love the Falcon, but I can see why people dislike BK's voice. Anyway back to the topic at hand - Derek can play Bass, guitar and drums to perfection alongside singing (backing and a solo part in Don't Say You Won't) therefore Derek > Dan/Matt

Oh and Derek is the one who runs the Bloodpact with his wife, another reason for his greatness.

Ye, i remember seeing an acoustic version of Emma (with 3 acoustics) and derek was playing the 'lead' part, and was playing pretty amazing
Also, he's a VERY good drummer, better than Mike Felumlee imo

Dan=Matt=Derek, nothing more i can say

Public Refuse - MySpace Link

The Wallace/Sekhar/Ryan Trio - Progressive Jazz based in Dubai
Adarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #31
bigwig

Quote:
they do tighter pants?!

i wear girls jeans already, mannn.

Sacrasm much?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
neidnarb11890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarsh
Ye, i remember seeing an acoustic version of Emma (with 3 acoustics) and derek was playing the 'lead' part, and was playing pretty amazing
Also, he's a VERY good drummer, better than Mike Felumlee imo

Dan=Matt=Derek, nothing more i can say

Matt and Dan write all the lyrics, therefore Matt=Dan>Derek. Derek isn't as important to the band as the other two.

Butspeaking of acoustic performances, did anyone see them on the Occult Roots Tour? Matt and Dan did a couple of acoustic songs each. It was cool.
neidnarb11890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #33
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

:grr: I wanted to see them. They never came close to me, though. It's like I had on anti-Alkaline Trio spray and they were scared of my town or something.

Derek seems to be a great attribute to the band, but I think Matt and Dan's longer commitment to the band really helps drive their instruments together, while Derek plays along but doesn't have the respect the other two earn from me.

Not to say he's a bad player. I think as more albums come out he'll become a better member of the band and will eventually become equal to the other two, but it may take a while.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #34
Tuffers

Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #35
USCENDONE BENE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris_In_Flames
Derek sings?

Yeah, listen to the backing vocals in Mercy Me in the verse
USCENDONE BENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #36
Paris_In_Flames
Like Speed 2 but on a bus

I always thought that was just dan or matt dubbed over.
Paris_In_Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #37
neidnarb11890

Quote:

I wonder why they left Vagrant? Is V2 a major label or an indie one? I'm so confused!

Quote:
Yeah, listen to the backing vocals in Mercy Me in the verse

Is that Derek? I always just assumed Matt did two vocal tracls and that and overdubbed them, like Paris_in_Flames said.

Does anyone know why Glenn left the band? I read an older interview with Matt, but he didn't really give an answer.
neidnarb11890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #38
Andrewbiles

^ I think V2 is an indie still, not entirely sure. I know he sold Virgin (the original label) a long time ago to one of the majors, but V2 is still independently owned, just had big artists (Moby & White Stripes were on them from what I remember).

Oh, and its all about Matt.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #39
Tuffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepco12345
I want to hear Derek sing by himself.

- The Freak

Don't Say You Won't - Derek wrote it and sings part of the chorus. Its a B-Side from the Time To Waste single.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #40
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.

"Skee-bah" I've always presumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

the_astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: