Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
roobix

Question Yamaha SCF08 (Costco) vs Other Acoustics?

Has anyone gotten a chance to check out the new steel stringed guitar at Costco?

I'm trying to get myself a new acoustic and was wondering how it compared to the ones listed in the "under 300" category...

I was also looking at the fg750 at guitar center.. liked it a lot ...

not sure what all the differences is..except the sales guy at GC said the fg750 has a finish that lets it "last forever"

Can anyone help give me some inside on the costco yamaha or even steer me in a direction of any other good beginner acoustic guitars?

The Costco guitar with gig bag, tuner, extra strings, method book is about $160 US

Thanks for Any Help
roobix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
flying jello

I have an FD-02 (Older Costco version). I am not happy with the action, but i guess thats just my finger strength. I've been playing for many years, gigged with the guitar. The guy is right about the finish. It;s unbreakable.

Nevertheless, I have seen the recent costco guitars. And I don't recommend them. Yamaha is going downhill with low budgit acoustics. I'd have to say the electrics are very nice though.

If you just want something to play around with, then by all means, costco is the way. BUt if you plan on gigging, look for something A/E (acoustic electric) so you can plug in. I know ovation makes a really good low budgit guitar, forgot what its called though. Might be just what you're looking for.

I would reccomend Yamaha acoustics, just not the ones at costco. Epiphone makes decent acoustics, and if you're willing to dish out $400 (i believe), the taylor big baby is a VERY excellent guitar.

you can shop around at musiciansfriend.com
Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Chips-
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jello
I know ovation makes a really good low budgit guitar, forgot what its called though.

Applause? I think it's Ovation's low budget brand (like squier, epi). Or did you mean some specific model of Ovation?
Chips- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
roobix

Thanks for the input, guys. If anyone else has anything to add, it would be appreciated.

I can totally see that the stuff at Costco might not even compare to those guitars in the 300 or less thread? but I was hoping if someone has had a chance to actually try one out.. sometimes Costco does good and brings in some quality stuff..
roobix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
flying jello

DA CELEBRITY (ovation) :] (a little bit over 300 i believe)

they used to sell that [Applause] at cosco. i was skeptical because ive never heard of it at the time. now i wish i had the ovation instead of my FD-02. :[
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
flying jello

i mean they used to sell the [Applause] at costco. not the celebrity.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Chewbeckah
Milf

I realize that this is an old thread, but I would like to throw in my .02

I treated myself to the Yamaha SCF08 from Costco for Xmas. It was a whim purchase, but I couldn't be happier for the price paid. The only kit items that I do not like are the strap & the capo. Otherwise, this is a fantastic deal. I checked out a book from the library on how to select an acoustic guitar, and this model passed all the tests. My only caveat is that I think the top may be laminate. In retrospect, I would have prefered a solid top.

All things considered, do not hesitate to purchase the SCF08 from Costco, especially if you are on a budget. I plan to buy an electric guitar, a bass, and a drum kit in the future. So, this guitar kit was the perfect match for me. Meaning, acoustic is not my one and only love, and so I can't spend everything in one place $$$. I feel like a bad a$$ female Johnny Cash with this thing!

Good luck!
XOXOXO, Chewiee

Last edited by Chewbeckah : 12-30-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Chewbeckah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
tmblvu
UG Newbie

Thumbs down

UNless you live in an extremely rural out-of-the-way area of the US or it's territories, why would anyone look to Costco for a guitar? What do they know about guitars? It might be a swell idea to look in a music store close to where you live for a musical instrument rather than a store that gives you the " perception" that an instrument can be successfully acquired from a store specializing in toilet paper, private brand vitamins, and deodorant.
Hello ?? Anyone Home?
tmblvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
crbnfbr

I just bought a scf08 and I couldn't be happier. It produces a sound comparable to my FG 360. It will be difficult to find a better acoustic for the price!
crbnfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jello
I have an FD-02 (Older Costco version). I am not happy with the action, but i guess thats just my finger strength. I've been playing for many years, gigged with the guitar. The guy is right about the finish. It;s unbreakable.

Nevertheless, I have seen the recent costco guitars. And I don't recommend them. Yamaha is going downhill with low budgit acoustics. I'd have to say the electrics are very nice though.

If you just want something to play around with, then by all means, costco is the way. BUt if you plan on gigging, look for something A/E (acoustic electric) so you can plug in. I know ovation makes a really good low budgit guitar, forgot what its called though. Might be just what you're looking for.

I would reccomend Yamaha acoustics, just not the ones at costco. Epiphone makes decent acoustics, and if you're willing to dish out $400 (i believe), the taylor big baby is a VERY excellent guitar.

you can shop around at musiciansfriend.com

Action adjustment is a maintenance issue. If it ain't right that's your fault for not getting it set right.

Last edited by Guitar Hack : 02-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Silverstein14
Call me Keenan!

This thread is 4 years old people!!
Silverstein14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: