Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
bmschrad

?Epiphone Valve Junior Head Tube For Metal?

We'll I'm in the market for a new amp. I currently play a Ibanez 520EX through a Fender Frontman 15 that sucks when I turn it up.

I need something small though because I live in an apartment. I've read a lot of reviews on the cubes, vox's and the Valve Junior (although not a lot on metal). I thought the valve junior would be a nice head with a cab, I was just wondering if I could get a good thrash metal sound like old metallica, testament, slayer sound out of it even if it ment adding a pedal or two. I guess I'm just stuck between the valve junior and the cube.

Can someone give me suggestions please?

Here's the link to the head: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Head?sku=482069

Thanks,

-B-
bmschrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

No no no. Unless you plan on using a 'metal' pedal through it, its not going to be good for thrash. Your best best is the Cube. Plenty of on-board distortion which eliminates the need for a pedal. The Valve Junior, IMO, is meant to be played without any form of pedal. Just pure, smooth, tube break-up.

Member of the Orange Revolution club!
kurdtkobaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
well, its alot easier to get that tone with the cube.

ive got an epi head and, well u can hear ds1 clips in my sig. it's got potential, but ud need the epi head $100, empty cab $90 1x12, $50 speaker and $125 jekyl and hyde or other pedal.

the cube would just be plug in and play.

also, if u can find a scratch and dent speaker on MF match the ohms and swap out the speaker in the fender 15 too. it'll make it a whole new amp.

^well the valve jr really does need a pedal. i mean it's just one knob. an OD pedal is ideal. no clue how heavy it'll get tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.

The valve jr is a fantastic little amp. It's a pedal wh*re. Loves em.
However not very versatile. Single channel. You have a volume knob and a power switch.
Cranking the amp will get you a bit of breakup.
But for anything past a bit of an AC/DC crunch. You'll need a pedal. Definitely. But it sounds fantastic for the price. You could try something like EHX Metal Muff, ProCo Rat, Digitech DF-7 (For versatility.) etc. because in all honestly, most metal pedals are pretty crap sounding, and most metal artists just use natural amp distortion with a touch of an OD pedal for a boost or vice versa, and that's not really doable with the Valve Jr, unless you want to keep it cranked (It's pretty bloody loud.).
beckyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
bmschrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
also, if u can find a scratch and dent speaker on MF match the ohms and swap out the speaker in the fender 15 too. it'll make it a whole new amp.

^well the valve jr really does need a pedal. i mean it's just one knob. an OD pedal is ideal. no clue how heavy it'll get tho.

Cool maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

-B-
bmschrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
R_H_C_P
UG's God.

It will probably end up sounding more flabby that nice and metal sounding.

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
R_H_C_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
well yeah, the fender 15 has a 8" speaker. might be hard to find one but eminence has a few.
i swapped out the 10" in my FM25R and it sounds incredible. i found a red coat for $40.

still, its fender so expect better cleans than heavy.

Quote:
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
leelee
Greedy

I play (try to anyway) metal and I sold my Cube 30 after I got my Epi VJH. My cab is a Celestion V30 in a Lopo Line 1x12. And I have a EHX Metal Muff to get the tone I want. I also have a Magicstomp which gives nice time based effects throught he VJH as well. Total out of pocket so far has been $100 + $120 + $85 + $75 + $79 for the head, cab, speaker, Metal Muff, and Magicstomp, respectively. So for about 2x the cost of a Cube 30, this rig got me a LOT more features, flexibility in expanding/swapping gear, and much better tone.

It isn't as loud as the Cube 30 though. I have never been able to dime the knob on my Cube 30 but doing so with the valve junior possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
SamDking
UG Board King

^ Nice setup!

Love the colour of those Rootbeer Agiles as well.
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
SamDking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee
My cab is a Celestion V30 in a Lopo Line 1x12. And I have a EHX Metal Muff to get the tone I want.

Cube 30, this rig got me a LOT more features, flexibility in expanding/swapping gear, and much better tone.

It isn't as loud as the Cube 30 though. I have never been able to dime the knob on my Cube 30 but doing so with the valve junior possible.

haha i bought a Lopo line too. matched the color and everything. sweet.

i like my setup better than my cousins cube 30.

and i think its almost as loud if u take into consideration that anything past half or so on a cube wrecks the tone.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: