Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #1
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Help me prove a point about video game graphics.

I said I liked Cossacks' graphics better than Age of Empires 2, and that Age of Empires 2 > Warlords Battlecry 3.

My friend said I was dumb because Cossacks (2001) was older than Warlords (2004), and older games always have worse graphics than newer ones.


Pls tell me some older games with better graphics than newer ones.
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #2
flexiblemile
Registered User
 
flexiblemile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
fallout 2 has way better graphics than fallout 3.

Like not even in the same category
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #3
soundgarden1986
winning love by daylight~
 
soundgarden1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
all of those games look like shit
soundgarden1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #4
Thrashtastic15
~{a friend in need}~
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
age of empires 2 is a perfect game and the graphics are meaningless
__________________
~Florida Panthers ~

~2016 Stanley Cup Champions~


http://i.imgur.com/r1IqTHF.jpg

good kid nice suburb


No one remembers #2 - Alexandre Daigle
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #5
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Well let's not get on the "gameplay > graphics" thing, I need to win this argument.
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #6
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: at home
Games that try to look photo-realistic will inevitably look dated as technology improves. Games that go for a stylized aesthetic within the limitations of the hardware tend to age better. That's why Wind Waker still looks presentable today.
__________________
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Bass build 2014
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #7
Thrashtastic15
~{a friend in need}~
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicaxotinho
Well let's not get on the "gameplay > graphics" thing, I need to win this argument.

well its true. the graphics are meaningless in a respectable rts game

edit: for example if you are playing aoc as it is meant to be played you are moving around too fast and focused on too many things to give a shit about how good or bad the graphics are
__________________
~Florida Panthers ~

~2016 Stanley Cup Champions~


http://i.imgur.com/r1IqTHF.jpg

good kid nice suburb


No one remembers #2 - Alexandre Daigle

Last edited by Thrashtastic15 : Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #8
剣 斧 血
Pimp, apparently...
 
剣 斧 血's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: England
Crysis has better graphics than a lot of post-Crysis games...

Edit: Morrowind was released in 2002, I'm sure you can find an older, worse looking game.
__________________
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders

Last edited by 剣 斧 血 : Yesterday at 10:31 AM.
剣 斧 血 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #9
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
@Thrash Yeah but the dude is being really salty about it, I need to show him an older game with better graphics to make him even more salty.
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #10
Thrashtastic15
~{a friend in need}~
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicaxotinho
@Thrash Yeah but the dude is being really salty about it, I need to show him an older game with better graphics to make him even more salty.

objectively the graphics arent very good though. they had a good cohesive art design and did a good job making the most out of what they had...but by todays standards they didnt have very much. the graphics are shit. but it doesn't matter.

and that's the important thing to take away from this conversation. you and your friend are both wrong for thinking that the graphics matter in a rts game and need to get good.
__________________
~Florida Panthers ~

~2016 Stanley Cup Champions~


http://i.imgur.com/r1IqTHF.jpg

good kid nice suburb


No one remembers #2 - Alexandre Daigle
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #11
ultimate-slash
Why am bear?
 
ultimate-slash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
The Longest Journey is from 1999 and has some pretty impressive graphics

__________________
I want to know, am I the sky or the bird?
“We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?'
'Even longer.'
Do you like stuff?
Do you like doing things to stuff?
Well, I've got stuff!
Do things to my stuff!

Last edited by ultimate-slash : Yesterday at 10:37 AM.
ultimate-slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #12
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
@Thrash, I don't really care about the graphics, I just want to win this argument.

@Slash Yeah that looks pretty.
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #13
Cardbored
Registered User
 
Cardbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Crysis 1
MGS4
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Cardbored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #14
Thrashtastic15
~{a friend in need}~
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicaxotinho
@Thrash, I don't really care about the graphics, I just want to win this argument.

your argument is stupid your friend is stupid you are stupid your thread is stupid etc etc
__________________
~Florida Panthers ~

~2016 Stanley Cup Champions~


http://i.imgur.com/r1IqTHF.jpg

good kid nice suburb


No one remembers #2 - Alexandre Daigle
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #15
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
your argument is stupid your friend is stupid you are stupid your thread is stupid etc etc

**** you
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #16
Minicaxotinho
Not kinky enough
 
Minicaxotinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardbored
Crysis 1
MGS4

I guess this will do it, thanks!
Minicaxotinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #17
Thrashtastic15
~{a friend in need}~
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
:^)
__________________
~Florida Panthers ~

~2016 Stanley Cup Champions~


http://i.imgur.com/r1IqTHF.jpg

good kid nice suburb


No one remembers #2 - Alexandre Daigle
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #18
matt bickerton
wants a better username
 
matt bickerton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London/Oxford
Pong was pretty ahead of it's time.
matt bickerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #19
Baby Joel
just you and i
 
Baby Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: in a parking lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
age of empires 2 (and The Conquerors expansion) is a perfect game and the graphics are meaningless

fixd and agree

like seriously, if you have any RTS game besides AoE2;TC throw them out.
__________________
also, knob and nob
also, sucker and succor

also, die and dye


lostboys http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lostboys/


th official homophone thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675125

the serious thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675340
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #20
whywefight
opinions are like kittens
 
whywefight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexiblemile
fallout 2 has way better graphics than fallout 3.

Like not even in the same category

Lmao
__________________
'And so he asked his disciples, "The lessons started at midday, is it I who is belated? Let me tell you this, my brethren, it is not I who is behind schedule, for I have already graduated".'

-The Book of Ye
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.