Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

What do you appreciate in music?

I noticed there quite a few different opinions as to what you guys like to hear in music. Maybe you like riffs and demon blood, or maybe you like an unorthodox structure in music. Two of many examples.

Say you like music with more classical background over one with a punk background. What are some of the classics you come back to and why do you think that is?

I enjoy music that is a kick to the teeth. Songs about who gives a shit what, but they have monstrous riffs and sound to them. Every punchy riff grinds you down until you're spent.

Stuff with a very heavy sound, e.g., dISEMBOWELMENT, or Grand Belial's Key.

What do you guys like to listen to and what kind of general ideas spread across your interests? Any specific moods where you like to indulge in stuff? Say you just broke up with your girlfriend, so you want to listen to Sad Ex?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
CherokeShredder
Banned

Given I am always cheery and optimistic, I can't bother to stand Doom or Black Metal much. On the other hand, too cheery leaves just as much annoyance in my head. Power and Heavy Metal are my favorites in the Metal section to begin with, because they are mostly so awe-ing and so up there with energy and enthusiasm that one can tell right off the bat.

Having already dealt with sadness quite a bit, but never depression, I can't get into too much saddening or depressing songs. Usually Children of Bodom, Five Finger Death Punch, and Killswitch Engage/All That Remains are the most depressive, yet nicest, types of these kind of music. (Yes, I know I listen to Metalcore and MeloDeath a lot :P It works well for me because it's not COMPLETE doom and gloom heh)

Personally, I play just about anything I can stand or bear to play

-Sharky
CherokeShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #3
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

With the surge in music "journalism" and puke worthy creative writing taking over critical thinking when it comes to music circles, I'll say this; If I like it, I like it and here's why blah blah.

Looking at my collection you would be hard pressed to find a common theme amongst all of them. If I had to link all of them it would be that they flare up my imagination in a way that minutely represents escapism. I rarely am ever attracted to music that is very grounded in reality and the routine; I abhor the dull routine of realism and my music represents this.

Give me the dramatic. Hell even my Pop music is dramatic.

Most music "journalism" seems way too concerned with convincing you why you should like this rather than why I, the writer, likes it. As if you're supposed to enjoy what they are shoveling and there's no way around it.

I like music and I like talking about it. That's enough for me.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #4
supertom1
Kvlt poser kid

I like metal (mainly Death Metal) with progressive and unorthodox song structures that has both aggressive and peaceful sections (bands such as Augury, Lykathea Aflame, Mithras and Cynic). I absolutely hate it when I'm listening to a Death Metal track with a kick-ass riff and then the song turns out to be based on a verse-chorus structure. Unconventional music needs unconventional structure imo.
supertom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertom1
I like metal (mainly Death Metal) with progressive and unorthodox song structures that has both aggressive and peaceful sections (bands such as Augury, Lykathea Aflame, Mithras and Cynic). I absolutely hate it when I'm listening to a Death Metal track with a kick-ass riff and then the song turns out to be based on a verse-chorus structure. Unconventional music needs unconventional structure imo.

I agree with you in that I also like death metal with progressive elements, records like Individual Thought Patterns, An Unquestionable Presence, Bath and My Arms, Your Hearse are among my favorites, but I don't necessarily need calm or clean sections to get full enjoyment. Sometimes they might even hinder the track.

And I can definitely enjoy the verse-chorus death metal. When it comes to classic death metal, I just want the song to feel absolutely unrelenting, and that doesn't really require progressive elements. I can enjoy both styles, it just depends on my mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
I like music and I like talking about it. That's enough for me.

Pretty much. A lot of people don't seem to get the difference between objective and subjective opinion. If you listen to something and like it, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeShredder
Given I am always cheery and optimistic, I can't bother to stand Doom or Black Metal much.

I'm your complete polar opposite in this. I'm pretty cheery and optimistic as well, but I can't stand happy and sappy music. I don't believe that you have to sad to listen to sad music, or angry to listen to angry music. Some people work like that, I personally don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
What do you guys like to listen to and what kind of general ideas spread across your interests? Any specific moods where you like to indulge in stuff? Say you just broke up with your girlfriend, so you want to listen to Sad Ex?

To ultimately answer your question, I generally like music that makes me feel emotions I can't achieve any other way. When I listen to a band, and I get this mysterious feeling that I can't explain, I know I've found the right thing. Of course, I sometimes listen to aggressive music and it let's me vent my feelings, and I sometimes listen to poppy, or even anthemic music and it boosts my mood etc etc. but generally I want music to detach me from reality, and take me somewhere I can't go otherwise. Sometimes life and reality get boring, and I need something surreal. That's probably why I'm into progressive and experimental music, and sometimes even into avant-garde (even though I hate that term). But sometimes I just listen to traditional metal, or even "pop metal", just because I feel like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
KailM

It's difficult to explain; I am very picky. I guess what I look for is music that takes me to another place or time. That can be accomplished with lighter sounds or heavier -- it's the way it's all tied together that matters. I am rather fond of ferocious riffing and blastbeats -- but I enjoy lighter, slower material as well. There needs to be an emotional component to what I listen to, whether that is despair, dread, anger, or even hope. I'm not as big of a fan of slow and heavy.

I listen to music alone, and don't really discuss it or share it with anyone. None of my friends or family even understand the music I listen to. A real discussion cannot be had.

Most often, I listen in my car on the way to or from work or through earbuds while on a mountain bike ride or hike deep into the wilderness behind my house. Naturally, I gravitate toward traditional black metal and variants of that genre. It seems to be the perfect backdrop for the landscapes I frequent, and I know a great deal of it was written and recorded in a very similar environment to where I live.

Examples of albums/bands that perfectly represent what I look for in music:

-Earlier Opeth, but especially My Arms Your Hearse and Deliverance
-Windir -- all albums
-Blut Aus Nord -- Ultima Thulee; all of the Memoria Vetusta series
-Emperor -- In the Nightside Eclipse
-Lunar Aurora -- Andacht, Hoagacht
-Drudkh -- Autumn Aurora, Blood in Our Wells
-Ulver -- Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal
-Agalloch -- Marrow of the Spirit, the Serpent and the Sphere

Pestilential Flood
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

What I generally look for is "unashamed, unabridged." That's difficult for me to elaborate on. Basically, if a band seems like they're trying too hard to impress or to appeal, or to be "deep" then I get bored of them REAL fast. On the other hand if they seem like they have a goal in mind and know exactly what they're doing and don't give two shits about anything else, I can usually tell. Once I have that down then all that's left is to listen to what conveys the proper emotions for my mood.

That being said, I enjoy analyzing song structure and I like bands that play around with song structure on longer tracks. The 10+ minute track(s) on an album are almost always my favorite. However as I mentioned they have to know what they're doing.

I also like dramatic just like VG said, but differing from VG I don't just like dramatic but also theatrical.

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I don't think there's really any one or two things I could point out about all the music I like that makes it good to my ears. I look for different things in different music, like, I like a lot of death metal that has a creepy vibe with some "progressive" elements, whatever that means. At the same time I like a lot of hip-hop that has very memorable and straight forward beats with emphasis on socio-political commentary. It just depends on what kind of music I feel like listening to in that moment.

I will say I do like stuff that goes against the grain when it comes to song structure, tonality, and experimentation, but it's a fine line for me between experimenting and making a song interesting and better as a whole and throwing shit together hoping it's progressive enough for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeShredder
Given I am always cheery and optimistic, I can't bother to stand Doom or Black Metal much. On the other hand, too cheery leaves just as much annoyance in my head. Power and Heavy Metal are my favorites in the Metal section to begin with, because they are mostly so awe-ing and so up there with energy and enthusiasm that one can tell right off the bat.

Having already dealt with sadness quite a bit, but never depression, I can't get into too much saddening or depressing songs. Usually Children of Bodom, Five Finger Death Punch, and Killswitch Engage/All That Remains are the most depressive, yet nicest, types of these kind of music. (Yes, I know I listen to Metalcore and MeloDeath a lot :P It works well for me because it's not COMPLETE doom and gloom heh)

Personally, I play just about anything I can stand or bear to play

-Sharky

...It's like looking into mirror from 2007, goddamn.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
progbass
UG Resident

Nice hips and decent tits. And she's got to know what to do when I tell her to get on top
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26

...It's like looking into mirror from 2007, goddamn.

Where the fuck you been?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
CherokeShredder
Banned

I appear to be a true mystery to some folks in terms of emotions and optimism. How the hell can someone be so optimistic and chirpy all the time, even I don't know. But I do know this works a lot better than me being mopey or depressive. Helps out a lot more situations too. No offense to anyone who IS depressive or mopey, it's just not for me is all

-Sharky
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #12
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
Where the fuck you been?

Trying to avoid alcohol poisoning, playing all of Kingdom Hearts games and listening to Infester. I'm living the dream Kyto, living the dream!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #13
Million Dead

A good, strong rhythm or melody really pumps endorphins in me in a way that I just couldn't ever find elsewhere. I really appreciate experimentation in structure or just the whole package, like when an artist or group mixes something that isn't commonly found in their genre into their sound or they keep it winding and linear. But I'm all good with conventional structure, too, though. Emotionally, I usually find myself gravitating towards stuff that is dark in some way, depressed or misanthropic or esoteric or angry or at least calling attention to some social issue or another. However, I vibe with all kinds of happy and positive songs too. I don't really have moods as far as emotion. I listen to a lot of very sad music when I'm in perfectly good spirits. I guess I have stylistic moods. Like, I'll sometimes feel more in the mood for something like grindcore or noise than jazz or hip hop, or in the mood for indie or country/folk more so than sludge or black metal.

I'm okay with both complex and simple music, though, and I feel like a lot of the best songwriting blends the two without being too much of one or the other. I love to be pummeled or bombarded by my music, but I also love to be serenaded and soothed. I guess when it comes down to it, I like for my music to have that tangible conviction. Like, is the artist pumping out blind worship to an influence or some half hearted bullshit formula that they know will sell? Are they putting genuine thought and love into the music and making a product that they're really proud of? If it's the latter, it usually shows and I usually fucks with it.
Million Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
playing all of Kingdom Hearts games

SUBMIT

You playing Final Mix? Still can't beat Terra on KH2FM.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #15
elatihc

Riffs.

Basically some hooks in the music but also aggressive, heavy and raw. That's why thrash appeals to me so much. So usually I prefer bands with complexity (Megadeth/Heathen) over just pace/aggression (say..Exodus)

Of course I like melody in my music hence my love of NWOBHM/traditional metal. Epic or grandiose themes with a penchant for acoustic/softer interludes with some tight and furious guitar work gets me every time as well.

As I grow older (and not old as in just about to get my license old) I'm appreciating the doomier stuff and some other versions of extreme metal - (folk/viking/whatever Agalloch is - but not black) more as well. Some people are perplexed that I still listen to "that" kinda music (which I was listening to when I was in college) but I simply don't understand the logic that I must listen to mellower stuff now that I'm in my 30s. Yes I do love Gary Moore or B.B King, but yeah I'm always gonna prefer Kreator and Blind Guardian to those.
elatihc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #16
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
SUBMIT

You playing Final Mix? Still can't beat Terra on KH2FM.

CUM GARDIUN!111!!

Yeah, I got 1.5 and 2.5 and I've gone through all of 1.5 and KH2FM. Dude, I made my first attempt at Terra without knowing anything going into that fight and got wrecked so bad. Immediately jumped to the side when his sword turned huge and got one shotted because of it. I did beat the Xaldin data battle though.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #17
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
CUM GARDIUN!111!!

Yeah, I got 1.5 and 2.5 and I've gone through all of 1.5 and KH2FM. Dude, I made my first attempt at Terra without knowing anything going into that fight and got wrecked so bad. Immediately jumped to the side when his sword turned huge and got one shotted because of it. I did beat the Xaldin data battle though.

Yeah I beat all the optional bosses in 1 and 2 EXCEPT Terra. Shit fucks me up. I put it down for a while so I'm still waiting on the day I finally feel ready to try him again.

The data battles were insanely fun.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 AM   #18
CherokeShredder
Banned

Respect for both Kingdom Hearts AND Final Fantasy series
Old 02-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
I'm living the dream Kyto, living the dream!

#Respect

Old 02-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #20
progbass
UG Resident

Nerdssssss

Rate This Thread: