Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
arvarna

Pot Why is everybody down-tuning nowadays?

I've been jamming with different metal/rock bands lately and they always ask me to down-tune to drop Eb, D, C and most recently B. I get it if you want to cover a song with the same tuning but for writing originals I don't see why it's become almost a necessity to drop everything.

I play bass so maybe it's because it makes it easier for the guitarists to play their chords, but it feels like people think by tuning lower you're automatically 'heavier' than the other bands. There are so many metal bands/songs that sound waaay heavier than your average american using just standard tuning, so why the sudden trend in down-tuning? Why do you down tune?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

It's not a sudden trend. It's been around since albums like Hell Awaits and shit. If you are playing in bands who desire to sound like Slayer or Sepultura or even Incantation, you are going to have to downtune.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

It sounds different. Some people prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
It's not a sudden trend. It's been around since albums like Hell Awaits and shit.

Psh. Way longer than that.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Psh. Way longer than that.

I know, but I was speaking more about when it became popular, which to my limited knowledge would seem to be around that time and a little earlier. I mean yeah, Black Sabbath down tuned and whatnot, but not everybody was downtuning right after Black Sabbath came around.

Hell Awaits was also just the first album to come to mind.

Did Possessed downtune? I've never really listened to them enough to tell.

Last edited by Ironic Maiden : 02-03-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
CherokeShredder
Sharky, of course

I always enjoy the Standards, so Drop tunings are a bit of weirdness still to me. However, I can say that downtunes have their certain appeals and advantages and such. Personal preference, perhaps, on the best and biggest reason?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Did Possessed downtune? I've never really listened to them enough to tell.

Pentagram did on a few of their demos I think. Their self titled didn't come out until like 84 anyway, but their 70s demos did. A lot of the proto-metal guys like Zep and Jimi Hendrix had tuned down at points as well. Blues and jazz guys had been doing it forever as well.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede

Well standard vs drop tunings are two entirely different categories. I used to think drop D was just for spamming power chords as quickly as possible, but it actually allows for a lot of unique phrasing and chord voicings.

That being said, even down tuning to D standard can give a cooler vibe in some contexts. I tend to think of it as reverse-capoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
BledGhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
CherokeShredder
Sharky, of course

Fair enough, fair enough. I group Drops and Standards in essentially the same group if they are similar enough (Drop D and E Standard, for example) because of a subtle, but noticable, key difference in playstyle.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BledGhostWhite
I tend to think of it as reverse-capoing.

That's practically what it is. A capo lets you play in different keys with less effort, and it affects the tone and the feel quite a bit. Downtuning does the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Djaydjay

I don't see many reasons not to downture actually. It extends your range and gives some different sounds for rhythmic parts, with little to no disadvantages (seriously, how often are you hitting that high E on the 24th?)

My favorite solution is to play a 7 string with a low B/A and keep the other 6 string in standard tuning. That way you have the low tones AND the regular tuning

PS: for an historical reason for that trend, my bet would be that it is heavily linked to the arrival of mass produced 7 strings in the 90s (ibamez/Steve vais/Korn)

Last edited by Djaydjay : 02-03-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Djaydjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djaydjay
PS: for an historical reason for that trend, my bet would be that it is heavily linked to the arrival of mass producced 7 strings (ibamez/Steve vais/Korn)

Not at all.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Pentagram did on a few of their demos I think. Their self titled didn't come out until like 84 anyway, but their 70s demos did. A lot of the proto-metal guys like Zep and Jimi Hendrix had tuned down at points as well. Blues and jazz guys had been doing it forever as well.

Jazz guys never tune down lmao

But yeah, I was just speaking about it being common practice. A few bands tuned down WAY earlier but it wasn't nearly as common then as it was post-Hell Awaits/albums like Hell Awaits (as far as I'm aware).
Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Jazz guys never tune down lmao

Jazz musicians apparently pioneered everything from 7 string electric guitars to blast beats to double bass to everything.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Jazz musicians apparently pioneered everything from 7 string electric guitars to blast beats to double bass to everything.

That is so far from the truth.

Never heard a Jazz musician do anything remotely close to that. All Jazz guitar plays I have listened to (and transcribed, because I play Jazz) have only used standard tuning, 6 string guitars and no double bass.

Perhaps these innovations come from a later era of Jazz that I'm not as familiar with, but I've never heard of that.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

George Van Eps was using 7 string guitars in like the 30s or something. 40s maybe. Bucky Pitrazelli, however you spell it, was using them in like the 50s or 60s as well. Emmett Chapman, who invented the Chapman stick, was doing all kinds of elaborate polyphonic tapping stuff in the late 60s.

Louie Bellson is usually credited with developing the concept of double bass when he was in high school in the 40s. Nobody knows who invented gravity rolling, but Buddy Rich was supposedly doing it like forever ago and you can dig up some 60s or 70s videos of Tony Williams doing gravity rolls and blast beats and double bass and everything in his drum solos.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
kumamilesbear
UG's Ninjobo

Downtuning can drastically alter the sound your guitar makes. Even from just E to Eb, I notice there's a little more meat in chords. Sometimes its to help match a singer's range better, but other times it's just because there's a certain sound that people want that they just can't get in higher tunings.

These days I mostly play in drop A#. I would gradually tune lower and lower as I was learning different songs that I wanted to play, and eventually I found myself in drop B. When I started writing more music for downtuned guitar, I really liked the way the open A# sounded, so I stayed there. And now a lot of what I write would sound really weird if you tried it in drop D.
Peavey XXX 212

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
kumamilesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #18
Reages

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumamilesbear
Downtuning can drastically alter the sound your guitar makes. Even from just E to Eb, I notice there's a little more meat in chords. Sometimes its to help match a singer's range better, but other times it's just because there's a certain sound that people want that they just can't get in higher tunings.

These days I mostly play in drop A#. I would gradually tune lower and lower as I was learning different songs that I wanted to play, and eventually I found myself in drop B. When I started writing more music for downtuned guitar, I really liked the way the open A# sounded, so I stayed there. And now a lot of what I write would sound really weird if you tried it in drop D.

It would sound weird to you only because you are used to hearing them in a particular tuning
Reages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #19
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
George Van Eps was using 7 string guitars in like the 30s or something. 40s maybe. Bucky Pitrazelli, however you spell it, was using them in like the 50s or 60s as well. Emmett Chapman, who invented the Chapman stick, was doing all kinds of elaborate polyphonic tapping stuff in the late 60s.

Louie Bellson is usually credited with developing the concept of double bass when he was in high school in the 40s. Nobody knows who invented gravity rolling, but Buddy Rich was supposedly doing it like forever ago and you can dig up some 60s or 70s videos of Tony Williams doing gravity rolls and blast beats and double bass and everything in his drum solos.

Huh, I learned something new today. Regardless, I've still never heard of a jazz guitar player downtuning (7-strings I get because it allows you to improvise a bassline), and I'm not sure that Eps and Pitrazelli really popularized the 7-string (note that I mean in Metal music), even though they used them (which is cool as fuck).

Rethinking my previous statement, the double bass origin actually makes sense. I'm not nearly as familiar with Jazz drummers, so I was a little hasty and speaking out of ignorance.

Last edited by Ironic Maiden : 02-03-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #20
kumamilesbear
UG's Ninjobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reages
It would sound weird to you only because you are used to hearing them in a particular tuning

This is true, yes!
But I meant more the tone and timbre of the instrument. There's a certain kind of growl that my guitar makes if you tune it down enough to hit the sweet spot between the strings being too tight and full of midrange to too floppy and muddy. It's a tonal aspect of the guitar that's become part of the foundation of my sound. So even somebody else, if there were to listen to one of my songs in it's original tuning (probably drop A# or B), and then hear another one of my songs but in drop D, they'd probably be confused
Peavey XXX 212

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
kumamilesbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: