Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Hal-Sephira
The Pretty Reckless

Anybody likes Sepultura here?

Their music with the Cavalera brothers was heavy as shit, as well as it is today.

From Beneath the Remains to Roots, those albums are still listenable to this day in the scene of thrash metal music. Beneath the Remains and Arise are easily their best albums they have ever recorded, as well as being considered the greatest albums of all-time in history of metal. Since Max Cavalera left, they will never be same as they were, and new they're missing with a bit of nu metal scene with their second singer named Derrick Green. By the quote of Allmusic, "There was a time when the idea of Sepultura recording without Max Cavalera seemed unlikeable. But the incendiary Green turned out to be a fine replacement." Correct, but not as astonishing as the old Sepultura (Max Cavalera era); at least, their concept albums, Dante XXI and A-Lex, were good. After A-Lex, it went downhill since.

All in all, Sepultura w/ Cavalera bros were such a powerful band with heavy, aggressive and raw sounds at the time, along with Chuck Schuldiner's Death. Throughout the years, the old Sepultura has been continuously praised by the critics, fans and musicians alike, not only as a landmark releases [Beneath the Remains and Arise] of Sepultura's career, but of extreme metal in general.

Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Hal-Sephira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
supertom1
Kvlt poser kid

Sepultura was like my first death metal band, so I second pretty much everything you said there, with the possible exception of the stuff with Derrick being worse than their stuff with Max (as I haven't really checked it out yet tbh)
supertom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Morrisound production blows.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
mockbel

They were heavy... I just know very few songs for them and I like them.. Territory, Slave new word, refuse resist, roots...

However, I am not considered to be sepultura fan by any means !!
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
mockbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
nanna_guy414
misanthrope

Nailbomb is pretty badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
nanna_guy414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
elatihc

Sepultura was one of the heaviest bands I listened to when I started listening to heavy metal (along with Testament at that time) so I get nostalgic whenever i listen to them...have never heard anything post Cavalera actually so can't say if it is any good or not. Soulfly is crap though.

Desperate Cry, still one of the best songs of that era..
elatihc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV

Everything up to Arise is good, but Morbid Visions is their best by a mile. It's the stripped down and deadlier version of Hell Awaits.
Hoodoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Blicer

I remember my buddy going off about how great they were so I picked up their Roots Bloody Roots album and wasn't very impressed. Although I went back and checked out some of their older stuff. Enjoyed arise, I just find they start to become boring really fast.

I really did like the track they used in Twisted Metal though (mask)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Hal-Sephira
The Pretty Reckless

I still think Arise is actually Sepultura's best album for raw, heaviest and dark tones and themes. Don't get me wrong, I loved & listened both Beneath the Remains and Arise alot, I'm just saying that Arise is more enjoyable and heavier if not the greatest trash/death metal album of all-time. It's just a pure masterpiece.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Old 12-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Hal-Sephira
The Pretty Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertom1
Sepultura was like my first death metal band, so I second pretty much everything you said there, with the possible exception of the stuff with Derrick being worse than their stuff with Max (as I haven't really checked it out yet tbh)

After I fell in love of modern hard rock/metal (Drowning Pool, Slipknot, KoRn, and System of a Down; also Alone in the Dark soundtrack) in my jr high school days, I got stuck on the old heavy metal music like Black Sabbath, Metallica and AC/DC I rented from my local library. Those were got me into to old stuff. I still remember that Metallica and Sepultura were the reasons why I got into trash metal, which lead me to get into Megadeth and Slayer more. At the same time, I wasn't really addicted to death metal until I brought Metal to the Masses V from Hot Topic, unlike Alone in the Dark soundtrack, the album I found some hardcore bands like Behemoth and a few. Behemoth is what got me into death metal and then buying their two CDs from Hot Topic. However, I had no idea what black metal and death metal were. However, again, I remember Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth were my first black metal bands I've listened to on Alone in the Dark soundtrack in my teenage years. Like I said I had no clue about black metal from those bands. For years after, I finally learned what death & black metal are. I still believe Sepultura was the biggest reason why it got me into both trash metal and death metal very much.

Now that's my story.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
bagussajiwo23

happy guitar

i like virtuoso guitars Killstaccato guitars : via @YouTube

Last edited by bagussajiwo23 : 12-13-2015 at 07:11 PM.
bagussajiwo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Sepultura is pretty much the "first step" towards the underground metal. At least when I was growing up... obviously Metallica were already huge and "sold out" Pantera was THE BAND, along with Slayer. Anthrax were fucking lame... I liked 'em a little, a few songs with Bush and the whole PoT album.... but most of the metalheads I knew didn't care for Anthrax.

So after the Obvious 4, it was Sepultura, Testament, Death, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Deicide. At least in our circle, those were the cd's that were always jamming in someone's car or at bong sessions. Couldn't go wrong with BTR, Arise, or Chaos AD. I still have an original Arise t-shirt with SEPULTURA embroidered across the top. It's beat up, but it's a cool shirt anyway.

Sepultura's music had this primal aggression that really struck a nerve when I was an angry young man. I can still appreciate their badass riffs on many songs, but don't find myself listening to their albums that much.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
nanna_guy414
misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
Sepultura is pretty much the "first step" towards the underground metal. At least when I was growing up... obviously Metallica were already huge and "sold out" Pantera was THE BAND, along with Slayer. Anthrax were fucking lame... I liked 'em a little, a few songs with Bush and the whole PoT album.... but most of the metalheads I knew didn't care for Anthrax.

So after the Obvious 4, it was Sepultura, Testament, Death, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Deicide. At least in our circle, those were the cd's that were always jamming in someone's car or at bong sessions. Couldn't go wrong with BTR, Arise, or Chaos AD. I still have an original Arise t-shirt with SEPULTURA embroidered across the top. It's beat up, but it's a cool shirt anyway.

Sepultura's music had this primal aggression that really struck a nerve when I was an angry young man. I can still appreciate their badass riffs on many songs, but don't find myself listening to their albums that much.

Pantera still is the band, Lamb of God are now the best metal band in metal in my opinion, Willie Adler writes some really badass and original riffs and their drummer is a maniac on the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
nanna_guy414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanna_guy414
Pantera still is the band, Lamb of God are now the best metal band in metal in my opinion, Willie Adler writes some really badass and original riffs and their drummer is a maniac on the drums.

Lamb deserves all the successes they've had. That said, fuck me their music is so damn one-dimensional! I'll admit, their newest is probably their most adventurous record, at least since Sacrament... but I can never seem to make it all the way through an album. Too many songs sound the same and it all just ends up bleeding together.

That's kind of similar to Sepultura, actually.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #15
stratdud39
poopdud

i like the song "dead embryonic cells"
althought the name itself depresses me
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #16
EmoSupremo
Drain Bamaged

I'm more of a Sarcofago guy myself but the first 2 are solid.
EmoSupremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
the spiker
Wrathful and Sullen

Only that one song they had that was popular
Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
hollowmanpl

old sepultura \m/
hollowmanpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Fat Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
Morrisound production blows.

On topic, Sepultura are hella dope. I like that one song with the tribal drums

it's the sound of a fat fuckin lard hopping off the bolts' bandwagon and falling flat on his face
Fat Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #20
qpilas

I used to have a death metal band where we played a few sepultura covers from time to time. Good times

A mobile game as an alternative for music flashcards
qpilas is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: