Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
xjessepoox

Small tube amp metalcore death metal question.

I'm currently playing out of a Gibson sg, with a mxr metalbore pedal (which I'm slowly falling in love with.) I recently went through the process of moving and found a 30 wat Vox valventronix tube amp in my garage I got over 10 years ago. it has the 10 different amp models and presets and I've spent a good amount of time trying to get that perfect metalcore death metal sound. I usually prefer solid states for this style of music for tiny amps but I just can't put this thing back away. I currently am using the pedal with a clean amp setting and it just doesn't sound like that heavy yet melodic sound. I would love advice and opinions as to settings I could run with or without the pedal to get this sound. Thanks for your time, can't wait to get some advice.
xjessepoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dream Theater Fanboy

Get a Peavey 6505 MH it's 20 watts and pretty much all Metalcore was made on that amp.
You won't get the tone you are looking for with a solid state amp and metal pedal.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Ibanez GRG 7221
Squier Stratocaster (modified)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
xjessepoox

You mean tube, everything I've heard is solid state is the way to go with tiny amps when playing this style. I'm just trying to see if this valventronix can give me that sound because I love the effects for messing around on it. I can get a pretty good angel vivaldi rip off.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

valvetronix isn't tube, it's a modeller with one preamp tube in there somewhere.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dream Theater Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjessepoox
You mean tube, everything I've heard is solid state is the way to go with tiny amps when playing this style. I'm just trying to see if this valventronix can give me that sound because I love the effects for messing around on it. I can get a pretty good angel vivaldi rip off.

Everything you have heard is wrong then, there is nothing worse than cheap small solid state amps with metal pedals in front of them for tone. It sounds awful.

Actually you know what, fuck it, you are right, go buy a Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider and run a Boss Metalzone in front of it. Your tone will be crushing and brutal and not at all fizzy.

Ibanez GRG 7221

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Old 02-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Nolasludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Get a Peavey 6505 MH it's 20 watts and pretty much all Metalcore was made on that amp.
You won't get the tone you are looking for with a solid state amp and metal pedal.

I have to disagree with you here. Both Randall and Ampeg have made amps that were great for metal. Bands like Crowbar, Eyehategod, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, and Pantera had a lot of success using solid state amps for metal. Having said that, not all solid state amps are created equal. While Crate made the GX-130C, which was essentially the same as an Ampeg VH-140C, I wouldn't recommend any other Crate amp, like the GFX-1200 which was pure crap. Point being, you can get very good metal tones from solid state amps, but you have to get the right ones. You can't just grab a Marshall MG and go from there.

Now, as for the TS, I'm not a big fan of the Fullbore Metal pedal. Personally, I think you would be better served using the amp's distortion along with an overdrive pedal. If you don't have an overdrive, you might be able to use the Fullbore Metal with the gain all the way down, and EQ to taste. Also, don't scoop the mids. A lot of people say to scoop for death metal, but that is bad advice. The only reason Dimebag got away with it was because he used an EQ pedal to get back some of the lost mid frequencies, so that his guitar would punch through the mix. If you want to get an overdrive, the Digitech Bad Monkey is pretty cheap and has very high reviews. It seems to be the best cheap alternative to any overdrive in the same tier as a Tubescreamer. Normally most guitarists will get the tone they're looking for and dial back the gain to just under saturation. Then on the OD, have the volume all the way up, and the gain (or drive) all the way down, and the tone to taste. This method works wonders on tube amps. As far as settings, try the 666 method. Low, High, and mid to 6, and then add and remove from there. Hope that helps.
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Nolasludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Sell your amp and the pedal.
Get a 6505+ combo.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
xjessepoox

This is just my setup inside my room and this little 30 wat amp Is probably worth close to nothing being 10 years old. If you read the question it had to do with settings with this vox amp and pedal without buying another tiny amp. Those death metal bands are great but I'm more into the progressive side like all shall perish, where the scoop would muffle the mids and highs to much. The distortion I get is very rich and warm but it lacks that aggressive tone that I'm looking for. I have been keeping the gain and volume low on the amp in the boutique cl setting and cranking the pedals gain high and volume while keeping everything else pretty close to 12 noon. The issue is with this amp (11 settings) selection before I even start to dial in. I have messed around on some of those "shitty" solid states u mentioned with this pedal and got a much more desirable sound.

Last edited by xjessepoox : 02-21-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dream Theater Fanboy

You have no idea how to dial in an amp after at least 10 years of playing but think you know more than everyone else saying that solid state and distortion pedals suck?

I'll give you some tips anyway, use the high gain model on the amp, have the gain about 7 out of 10, bass 6/7 depending on mud, mids at 4 just to take away some of the nasal honk, treble at 7 to give some bite. You can now sell the metal pedal and buy a boost like a Tubescreamer or Maxon OD 808.

Ibanez GRG 7221

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Old 02-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
xjessepoox

I know how to dial in a amp with my eyes closed, this amp has 10 different amp settings such as ac15 ac30tb black 2x12 which completely changes the the process of dialing in depending on the selection. If I didn't need the pedal for this amp I wouldn't use it but clearly it's needed because of its selections. I was asking for advice about this amp and if it was possible to get the sound I wanted. Not a criticizing arrogant explanation about gear when you don't even know what I play on. I'm humbly asking for advice that is all...
Thank you it is a vox ad30vt

Last edited by xjessepoox : 02-21-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
MAChiefs

TS, just disregard the tube purists, it seems, at times, there is a heightened sensitivity to any deviation from the standard belief.

I don't have the exact amp you have, but have an older Vox Ad60 VTX that I believe has similar amp models and settings.

Based on my experience, throwing a distortion pedal on the clean channels will sound too thin. And, the high gain models don't take overdrive pedals well either. To drive that type of gain, I would use an EQ pedal, like an MXR 10b EQ, with one of the high gain models (yours has different names, but avoid the Vox emulations) using one of the Built in OD's. I don't play death metal but that is they only way I could get similar types of tones from the Vox. It is not a bad amp, you should be able to get a decent tone for bedroom practice.

**EDIT** I just noticed that you have the 30advt, which doesn't have an effects loop, therefore, although the EQ pedal can be used in front of the amp, I don't believe it will have the same results. Also, that amp doesn't have a built in overdrive, so an OD pedal may work. Lastly, I don't have a "numetal" model on my amp, but that or the US Higain would be your best starting point. Good luck.

Last edited by MAChiefs : 02-22-2016 at 01:27 AM.
MAChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
Nolasludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjessepoox
I know how to dial in a amp with my eyes closed, this amp has 10 different amp settings such as ac15 ac30tb black 2x12 which completely changes the the process of dialing in depending on the selection. If I didn't need the pedal for this amp I wouldn't use it but clearly it's needed because of its selections. I was asking for advice about this amp and if it was possible to get the sound I wanted. Not a criticizing arrogant explanation about gear when you don't even know what I play on. I'm humbly asking for advice that is all...
Thank you it is a vox ad30vt

Some people get upset when you don't take their advice. I agree with what you are saying, which is, that you can get a good tone out of a solid state, and even using a solid state and a distortion pedal. You do have to work a little harder at it, but it can be done. People here sometimes get used to regurgitating the same advice over and over that they completely ignore what you are actually asking. Of course if someone is looking for a new amp for X amount of dollars, I wouldn't recommend to do what you are doing, nor would I say get a solid state and a pedal because that is not likely going to be the most ideal. However, since you have what you have, I think you will probably be best served, as I said in my last response, looking into using an overdrive pedal.

Don't take my word for it, though. Grab your amp and your guitar, and take them to a local music store and try out some pedals like The Digitech Bad Monkey, which is a good OD at a low price, and try that. Choose the amp model you like the best, and use a gain tone that gets you almost there. Turn on the OD with volume up and gain all the way down, and the tone where it pleases you the most. If that is still not there, turn down the level to where it is pretty close to the amps level, and turn up the gain until you have a good amount of saturation.

One thing you have to remember is that dialing in a tube amp and dialing in a solid state amp are two totally different processes. Especially if using pedals. SS and Tube amps respond differently to distortion and overdrive boxes. What works well on SS may not work well with a tube amp, and vice versa.
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Nolasludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
diabolical

The Valvetronix are actually quite decent amps. You could try overdrive in front, that's what hte other guitarist in my band did, the got a tubescreamer knockoff and the Vox on the "Marshall" setting and it worked.
With the Metalbore you can get death metal sounds by blending in a crunch sound from the amp with the buzzy distortion of the Metalbore, but otherwise I don't think it is the right pedal for that. Experiment with an overdrive in front and I think you'll get there even with the Valvetronix.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #14
romeozdistress

that amp doesnt scream metal to me at all. maybe check out a vypyr especially the tube 60.
Boss SD1
Big Muff Pi

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass
Ampeg 108B
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: