Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #4561
gumbilicious
beginner

^i'd like to try some KT77's cuz of the tighter low end i keep hearing about. 6550's can be a bit tinny sounding, also sterile. i run them in my sunn 1200S, i love the cleans, but overdriving the power section can actually sound fairly nasty.

so if you plan on pushing that amp hard, i'd lean toward the KT77's (that i haven't played yet, look at me suggesting tubes i haven't used yet, )

for preamp, i would stay with 12AX7's. you can try a gold pin in V1 and see if it tightens things up for you. once again, i recommend JJ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Just be aware the V1b on a Class 5 is a cathode follower so a 12AT7 is liable to blow up in that position. You could try one in V2 as gumbi suggested but I doubt that it will do what you want.
Because it's a non-MV amp your selection of EL84 will have the biggest effect. Run a JJ EL84 unless you can score a nice NOS tube.

damn, good catch there cath. i should run that caveat that i always assume V1 as a an input tube and V2 is a driver tube because i don't wanna look up schematics.

once more, i should point putting lower gain tubes in a driver position is really not an overly effective way of raising headroom though.

i like the JJ EL84's. i run them over my NOS GE EL84's to tell truth.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #4562
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
^i'd like to try some KT77's cuz of the tighter low end i keep hearing about. 6550's can be a bit tinny sounding, also sterile. i run them in my sunn 1200S, i love the cleans, but overdriving the power section can actually sound fairly nasty.

so if you plan on pushing that amp hard, i'd lean toward the KT77's (that i haven't played yet, look at me suggesting tubes i haven't used yet, )

for preamp, i would stay with 12AX7's. you can try a gold pin in V1 and see if it tightens things up for you. once again, i recommend JJ's

damn, good catch there cath. i should run that caveat that i always assume V1 as a an input tube and V2 is a driver tube because i don't wanna look up schematics.

once more, i should point putting lower gain tubes in a driver position is really not an overly effective way of raising headroom though.

i like the JJ EL84's. i run them over my NOS GE EL84's to tell truth.

Yeah I was leaning towards the KT77's

Everyone seems to have good things to say about JJ's so i'll grab a set of 12AX7's as well

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #4563
jaybals
guitarchitect

Hey guys, I was wanting to load my new Cornell Romany with some fancy NOS tubes to get the best out of it (and keep it running for the long term too!). It's basically half way between a tweed champ and a deluxe reverb. So what do you suggest will get the best out of it?

I have two RFT 12ax7's, one of which i might use as the reverb valve, but i still need suggestionf for the V1, which is the actual preamp tube.
Also, for the 12AT7, which is also for the reverb (send or receive? i don't know!)

Finally, it runs a 6L6GT in the power amp.

I want to be able to keep the spanky/crunchy 0ff-cleans, through to dirty blues rock sound, Keeping notes clear. I don't know what tubes are best for this.

Also, on the bay i have found some 'EI Tesla' 12ax7's. I read these can be hit and miss when it comes to microphonics, but when the work they really work! It does say they have been tested, so should i go for it? It does seem a good price for three of them.

Also got my eyes on some telefunkens, and a whole load of mullards.

Finally, a question of mere curiosity, what do you guys know of ECC91/6J6 tubes? Are they useable in guitar amps?

Cheers for any help!

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #4564
Hou-Tex
Gary

My current set up on my DRRI. I play clean only and like my tone sorta sharp.

V1, V2 and V3. Jan Phillips NOS 5751's.
V4 and V5. Raytheon JRP 12AX7's.
V6 is stock.

V7 and V8 are JJ's

Any suggestions?
Hou-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4565
jaybals
guitarchitect

As an update to my tube dilemas, i got me a Mullard 12ax7 on ebay for a nice price!

that's 1 down.

Opinions on Philips '6L6WGB.' Good tube? Is 35 a good price?

Also, is the Svetlana 6N3C-E any good? Says it's a 5881/6L6 tube

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #4566
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

if you don't get answers in here guys then start a thread
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4567
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybals
As an update to my tube dilemas, i got me a Mullard 12ax7 on ebay for a nice price!

that's 1 down.

Opinions on Philips '6L6WGB.' Good tube? Is 35 a good price?

Also, is the Svetlana 6N3C-E any good? Says it's a 5881/6L6 tube

I'd use the Philips and pass on the Svetlana. I wouldn't trust any eBay tubes, but that's your choice. Tube dealers that test their tubes are safe, eBay sellers not so much. Unless you have a tube tester you have no idea what you're getting, and even then it's too late once you've bought it. Also if your amp has more than one power tube you're going to need to get a matched set.

I wouldn't use NOS tubes in the reverb drivers, you're not going to hear a difference there, and even an old microphonic tube is going to work just fine. I'd toss whatever you have there, and keep the good stuff for V1 and V2. RFT are rather dark preamp tubes, you might want to experiment with one in V1 and something brighter like an RCA in V2.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #4568
jaybals
guitarchitect

Thanks for the heads up! I've gotten tubes off the bay before and they say they've been tested, so hopefully it'll work out.

I think that only the V1 is a preamp tube, i think the other two are for the reverb, cos the non reverb version only has one preamp 12ax7. So i guess it doesn't really matter what goes in V1 and V2.
I managed to score that mullard 12at7 cheaper than a current production one anyway, so i'm happy!

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4569
UnsignedRecords
I'll record you!

hello? wake up thread!

i have a nos 5751 in my mark iv, and i'm assuming i pushed it too hard because it's all poppy and cracky.

i don't have a budget to ruin another perfectly good $30 jan/ge 5751, so does anyone have any thoughts on the jj 5751? must be new...
Vox V847a
Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
UnsignedRecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #4570
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ coincidently, mine just died too Jon (I think it is Jon)

popping and crackling could be a pin arc'ing with a socket though.

i'd spray the pins with contact cleaner and try one more time using the pencil test. If it pops just one more time the stop and pull it out. Try switching it with whatever is in V1. Try again. If it still pops, then get a tech. If it goes away, then toss the JAN Phillips and try a JJ.

I'd like to try a JJ 5751 myself.

Conact Doug at www.dougstubes.com and see what he says.

Either way, good to see you again
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #4571
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nope, but i thought the sovtek 5751 (which was recommended at the start of this thread) was a bit meh. granted that wasn't in a high gain amp, that was in a little vht special 6. but it was just a bit lower gain and very bland, i thought. so that's one current production one i'd probably give a miss.

edit: and yeah, nice to see you around

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #4572
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I think the OP could use an update
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #4573
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah a bunch of these threads could probably do with an update and could be incorporated in the info link sticky.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #4574
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

This thread, along with a bunch of others, is in the Rules and Resources sticky. But I agree, it needs to be updated. Hell, I just noticed the 'pedalboard thread' listed is VERY old (but is not informative anyway)

I asked Cathbard if he could do a content thread on tubes but what probably makes sense is for him to just review the OP here and then send Colin and changes he suggests (along with any other suggestions).

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 06-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #4575
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah

Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #4576
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Could also just copy paste the OP into a new thread and Cath can add to it. Makes for a cleaner thread.

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #4577
UnsignedRecords
I'll record you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ coincidently, mine just died too Jon (I think it is Jon)

popping and crackling could be a pin arc'ing with a socket though.

i'd spray the pins with contact cleaner and try one more time using the pencil test. If it pops just one more time the stop and pull it out. Try switching it with whatever is in V1. Try again. If it still pops, then get a tech. If it goes away, then toss the JAN Phillips and try a JJ.

I'd like to try a JJ 5751 myself.

Conact Doug at www.dougstubes.com and see what he says.

Either way, good to see you again

thanks johannes
i feel like that's so close but i could be totally wrong

i haven't done the pencil test, but i'm certain it's going. i swapped it out for a new-ish shuguang 12ax7 and the it was fine, but it sounded so harsh that i had to put the 5751 back in... into v2 this time. the cracking and popping subsided a bit, but it's only getting worse unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
nope, but i thought the sovtek 5751 (which was recommended at the start of this thread) was a bit meh. granted that wasn't in a high gain amp, that was in a little vht special 6. but it was just a bit lower gain and very bland, i thought. so that's one current production one i'd probably give a miss.

edit: and yeah, nice to see you around

mm, good to know. i'm not looking for the excellence that the jan-phillips 5751 gave me, but just something to smooth out my cleans and mid gain. but if the sov 5751 is super meh, i won't even bother.

good to see you too dave
i was actually thinking about you when i was writing my question. i thought, "you know, i probably fantasize about gear and actually buy more infrequently than dave"
Vox V847a
Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
UnsignedRecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #4578
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsignedRecords
thanks johannes
i feel like that's so close but i could be totally wrong

i haven't done the pencil test, but i'm certain it's going. i swapped it out for a new-ish shuguang 12ax7 and the it was fine, but it sounded so harsh that i had to put the 5751 back in... into v2 this time. the cracking and popping subsided a bit, but it's only getting worse unfortunately

My name is not Johannes

I'm not sure where that came from. You can call me 311.

If the popping followed the tube then you've done your process of elimination. Depending on the amp you can probably play the amp fine with nothing in V1, assuming you have not other tubes you WANT to use - until you get some new ones.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4579
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

^i think he was saying his name is johannes-could be wrong though

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #4580
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsignedRecords
mm, good to know. i'm not looking for the excellence that the jan-phillips 5751 gave me, but just something to smooth out my cleans and mid gain. but if the sov 5751 is super meh, i won't even bother.

good to see you too dave
i was actually thinking about you when i was writing my question. i thought, "you know, i probably fantasize about gear and actually buy more infrequently than dave"

LOL

And yeah i mean whether it'd be meh in your amp, i dunno. there was nothing actually wrong with it (it wasn't too harsh, or too bright, or too dark, or anything like that), nothing you could put your finger on, just very bland i thought. admittedly, the special 6 is a pretty cheap amp with slightly weird choice of values in the tone stack, so maybe it was just accentuating what was already there

Rate This Thread: