Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #81
Roc8995

Your problem is probably more due to the fact that there are few places on earth where you can properly crank a 50 watt Marshall without getting arrested. However, a new set of tubes can help. Don't expect miracles, but you can probably pull a bit more gain out the amp. For high gain tubes, email Bob at Eurotubes.com (go to the website for contact info) and ask for a high gain set of tubes for your specific amp. He'll make sure you get a high gain set of JJs.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #82
Jarrott
KISS ME I'M A SHREDDER

Very nice sticky! Right after I read through it I popped open my XXX to take a look at the tubes and I was very disappointed to see Sovtek's . I'll definitely have to order some in from JJs to give my amp that extra gain I so desire .
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Jarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #83
anguskilminster

In my Marshall 30th Anniversary I'm using Harma 6L6 output tubes (matched quad) and TAD preamp tubes. I got all these from www.watfordvalves.com , their site lists tubes for guitar & audio amps, as well as 60's jukeboxes!! The Harma power tubes are wonderful, my amp was running Sovtek 5881's before, now it sounds ferocious at full tilt, in a good way of course
anguskilminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #84
boba899
Im Burning Star IV

Very good, but you use the term 'dark' ALOT, and i dont really understand what tone you mean when you say that. Do you mean as if the turn down the presence on an amp, that kind of dark, or a more rounded tone, not like a twangy tone?

Also, if your willing to help, what tubes sound i get for my peavey valveking? I'ma fter a bit mroe gain, plus ive heard chaning to tubes in a VK makes the WORLD of difference from the stock ones. Any help is great
boba899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #85
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

pre-amp nos tubes

i use a mullard , and a mazda valve 12ax7

the mullard is amazing, incredibley agressive but very quiet. definatley livens up an amp, fantastic with el34 amps that need a little more sizzle or oomph

the mazda is basically a mullard clone, and does it very well. Although, its a tad noisier than the mullard and doesnt seem to bring out the amps livelyness compared to tme mullard

GT el34R powertubes
i used them for a while in the laney, before i went with jj's.
very nice tube, long lasting but have a alightly harsh tone to them. great headroom, and add an overdrive..incredible crunch. compared to jj's el34L, they had a tab less headroom, and i prefer the jj's distorted tone better, its more agressive and tones down better.

hope that helps
godofshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #86
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba899
Very good, but you use the term 'dark' ALOT, and i dont really understand what tone you mean when you say that. Do you mean as if the turn down the presence on an amp, that kind of dark, or a more rounded tone, not like a twangy tone?

Also, if your willing to help, what tubes sound i get for my peavey valveking? I'ma fter a bit mroe gain, plus ive heard chaning to tubes in a VK makes the WORLD of difference from the stock ones. Any help is great

'Dark' refers to a treble which is compressed and not harsh, and usually less prominent. The overall sound is voiced more towards the bass end of the spectrum than a 'bright' amp. To simulate this on an amp, turn your treble all the way up and mids to halfway. That's 'bright.' Now turn the mids town to 4 of 10 and the treble all the way down. That's 'dark.'

For a Valveking, JJ power tubes and tung-sol preamps are my recommendation, although if you want more gain, JJ preamps are the way to go.

godofshred:
I added your reviews to the list. I'd kill for some Mullard 12AX7s. Where did you get yours?

Last edited by Roc8995 : 12-30-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #87
mr_hankey
also available in 3D

So, can anyone recommend me a good 6V6 for my Fender Champ?

And how often do rectifier tubes need to be replaced?

Are Shuguang (Chinese) tubes any good?

Last edited by mr_hankey : 12-31-2006 at 01:47 PM.
mr_hankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #88
Roc8995

The 6v6s I hear the best things about are JAN/GE:http://kcanostubes.com/content/esto...=48&product=234
and Mazda:
http://kcanostubes.com/content/esto...=48&product=213

Rectifier tubes don't need to be replaced until they die, as they aren't in the tone circuit. NOS ones can last a lifetime, new production ones typically last 5-10 years. Your best bet is just to buy an extra one and keep it handy.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #89
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!

The JJ 6V6s are FANTASTIC. AMAZING tubes.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #90
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
That's the problem. As long as the triodes aren't wildly mismatched (something I have never come across), it doesn't matter at all. Not a bit. Not 'ideally,' not anything. Matched sections are for stereos and people who don't know better.

Yep, it really will make no difference. A tube guitar amp isn't a precision piece of engineering remotely. You'll here absolutely no difference. A matched triode really is pointless.

And btw, who's saying having a matched triode even equates to good tone? Unmatched IMO is just as good as matched, it really does make no difference.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #91
boba899
Im Burning Star IV

This matched triode thing, is that the same as when they sell matched tubes, or is that different?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #92
Roc8995

Different- matched power tubes are necessary, while the ones we're talking about are matched sections within preamp tubes, referred to as a 'balanced' tube.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #93
boba899
Im Burning Star IV

Ah i see Thanks a loooad for your help.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #94
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
'Dark' refers to a treble which is compressed and not harsh, and usually less prominent. The overall sound is voiced more towards the bass end of the spectrum than a 'bright' amp. To simulate this on an amp, turn your treble all the way up and mids to halfway. That's 'bright.' Now turn the mids town to 4 of 10 and the treble all the way down. That's 'dark.'

For a Valveking, JJ power tubes and tung-sol preamps are my recommendation, although if you want more gain, JJ preamps are the way to go.

godofshred:
I added your reviews to the list. I'd kill for some Mullard 12AX7s. Where did you get yours?

i got mine from my techie here in the UK. for 20, a good deal..but i got over 100 worth of tubes that day, so he dave me a good deal on it.
the mazda is from a mate
godofshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #95
mr_hankey
also available in 3D

Does anyone know how Koch tubes are? Are they just rebranded?
mr_hankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #96
De Amazing Blob
UG's Mesa/Boogie Fanboy

When I get my B-52 I'm going to be switching out all the tubes because the stock ones suck... But I was just wondering if I really need to replace the Phase Inverter (what the heck is that anyway?), the effects loop, reverb, and rectifier tubes. Also, would I best off putting the same type of tubes? (12ax7, 12ax7, 12at7, and 5ar4, respectively). Thanks
De Amazing Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #97
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hankey
Does anyone know how Koch tubes are? Are they just rebranded?

Koch are rebranded, though I don't know what type. The following is a list of current production non-rebranded tubes:
Sovtek
Svetlana
Ei (Factory shut down recently, but some places still sell them)
Electro-Harmonix
JJ
Shuguang
Tung-Sol
Some Groove Tube power tubes. All GT preamp tubes are rebranded.

If you have a tube that's not on this list, it's either NOS or rebranded.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #98
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Amazing Blob
When I get my B-52 I'm going to be switching out all the tubes because the stock ones suck... But I was just wondering if I really need to replace the Phase Inverter (what the heck is that anyway?), the effects loop, reverb, and rectifier tubes. Also, would I best off putting the same type of tubes? (12ax7, 12ax7, 12at7, and 5ar4, respectively). Thanks

Phase inverter tubes affect the tone, so I'd replace that. Reverb tubes aren't as important soundwise, so you can leave those. The rectifier is tricky- a NOS rectifier is the way to go, but only if you have the cash. It will sound a bit better, and last 25+ years. Unfortunately, they're pretty expensive. The JAN Philips is the only NOS one I know of under $100:
http://kcanostubes.com/content/esto...=28&product=149
Old 01-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #99
Y0UNGBL00D
subtly obnoxious

what are some of the warning signs (if any) and what effect occurs when tubes are going/have gone out? My VS100R has a 12AX7 in it, and i was just curious. it's been cutting out lately and i'm about to take it in for repairs.

--M
Y0UNGBL00D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #100
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D
what are some of the warning signs (if any) and what effect occurs when tubes are going/have gone out? My VS100R has a 12AX7 in it, and i was just curious. it's been cutting out lately and i'm about to take it in for repairs.

--M

A lot of things can happen when tubes die- no volume, weak signal, lots of noise, squealing, and cutting out can all occur. Unfortunately, there aren't really warning signs. Tubes can sound dead after a while, but that's not always an indication that they will die soon.

Rate This Thread: