Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
conanwarrior

Sanding the gloss off of my neck?

Hi everyone, I only own one guitar, a LTD MH1000, which I am happy with, apart from one thing. I tend to sweat quite a lot, and find because of the glossy neck, it feels sticky as I play.
I played a friends guitar with a none-glossy neck, and it felt miles better in that respect.
I don't plan on ever selling this guitar, so taking value off of it is not an issue. I also don't at the moment, or the forseeable future, have the money to buy another guitar.

So, I was thinking, could I somehow sand the gloss off of the neck? And in doing so, would I need to leave the neck bare, or could I somehow keep the colour?

Sorry for a new question, hope you can help me.
conanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

yes you can, lightly sand the neck with 800grit sandpaper. But make sure you tape the neck off so the sanding looks decent. Only sand a little and don't sand to bare wood unless you are willing to finish with Tung-oil/gunstock-oil
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
xxxxChrisTxxxx

or use wire wool/scotchbrite pad. As above, don't take too much off, just a little off the finish will do.
xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Tony Done

I would use fine steel wool, sparingly, but the satin might go back to loss again quite quickly. I've got dry, fairly rough skin, and a satin neck goes gloss after maybe four hours playing.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

If you want to go the full 9 yards sand it back to wood and firstly try it with just shellac (a few of mine are just shellac and it feels great) if you don't like that then tru oil as suggested earlier
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
conanwarrior

I've never done something like this, I need to do some reading on how to make it neat and tidy.

It's a set neck, not bolt on, so I would be a bit worried taking it back to wood and making it look OK.
conanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
TheJawsOfDeath

I just lightly scuffed the neck on my EC-1000 with a red scotchbrite pad. I taped off the binding, and at either end. It didn't take much sanding, so go slowly! It's not as nice as a raw oiled neck feels, but much better than smooth gloss.
TheJawsOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
paulltheviking

I've done it on an Epiphone Les Paul. I used the finest grit sandpaper available. I think i used a wet cloth first then sanded (I believe)? then used a wet cloth to wash it all off. I remember having to redo this after a while because it reglosses but I havent had to after the last time I did it. Then again my LP neck is stained...
paulltheviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
dspellman

Attack this carefully.
What's making your thumb stick is essentially the same kind of surface tension thing that allows a gecko to stick to your ceiling. All you need to do is reduce that surface tension. Most guitar players find that simply playing the guitar will eventually eliminate the issue.

That's because playing the guitar puts micro-scratches into the surface of the gloss paint over time. You can accelerate that process by *gently* running a scotchbrite pad ( the green ones) up and down the neck until the gloss is knocked down some. Avoid using 0000 steel wool; the tiny shards of metal that come off are pulled right into your pickups, and they rust there. The problem is that rust crystals expand and poke into your coil wire, and that starts a chain reaction of corrosion and "mini" shorts that eventually ruins your pickups.

Do NOT sand the finish off your neck -- it'll eventually dry rot and warp if you're a sweater. This is also the reason that Warmoth would not, for years, warranty its necks if you used an oil (tung, walnut, linseed, etc.) finish on them. Oil finishes do NOT protect the neck very well from moisture in liquid form.

I do have a couple of guitars that were originally finished with satin poly on the neck only. They play very easily when new. But I've found that my old guitars (with gloss finishes) play just as easily -- mostly because they've been played in over time.

Last edited by dspellman : 10-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: