Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
Bmullet00

Best amp out of these 3

Hey guys, im looking to get a new amp, Ive been looking at the Bad Cat couger 50, JVM205h, or a DV mark multiamp. Ive heard great things about all of these 3, I mainly things like ratt, van halen, metallica, I like the idea of the DV mark because of reliability, but Ive heard great things about all of them, what would you guys go for here? thanks.
Bmullet00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Personally I'd go for none of them and get an EVH 5150III.

It's all personal preference dude. If you have the ability to try them out, go try them out and make your own decision. We can't tell you what to like.

What's your budget and location so we can offer up some other suggestions to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #3
Bmullet00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
What's your budget and location so we can offer up some other suggestions to consider.

Dammit! I cant believe I forgot to include that, sorry about that, St Louis and 1500
Bmullet00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #4
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

If you're too indecisive just buy a Randall RM and be done with it. I haven't tried the Cougar 50, but I did try the lil 5 watt Cougar 112 and was shocked at how "meh" a $750, 5w amp could sound. The 50w Cougar at $429 may be a different story though. If I were you, I'd get an RM, just to make sure you get the right amp.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 AM   #5
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?

Last edited by Badmotorfingers : 04-02-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Badmotorfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Fryderyczek
Banned

God damn it all you people make me laugh. TS asked which of these 3 amps you would go for, and all you do is say completely different amps. I know that this is all your opinion, but actually respond to TS with your answer, and maybe THEN give your opinion on on other amps?

TS:I'd go for a Marshall. Probably my favorite brand after Randall. The midrange on them is fantastic.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
God damn it all you people make me laugh. TS asked which of these 3 amps you would go for, and all you do is say completely different amps. I know that this is all your opinion, but actually respond to TS with your answer, and maybe THEN give your opinion on on other amps?

TS:I'd go for a Marshall. Probably my favorite brand after Randall. The midrange on them is fantastic.

That is a stupid way of thinking. Imagine if someone has $500 to spend and asks what is best between a MG, an Orange Crush and a Line 6 Spider. Should we just suggest the lesser of evils? Or we can suggest better things to the OP that he/she might like more than the original choices. OP did not say strictly those three.
Quote:
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Fryderyczek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfingers
That is a stupid way of thinking. Imagine if someone has $500 to spend and asks what is best between a MG, an Orange Crush and a Line 6 Spider. Should we just suggest the lesser of evils? Or we can suggest better things to the OP that he/she might like more than the original choices. OP did not say strictly those three.

This isn't the case here. He didn't say "oh, what's better, a spider or an MG', he was thinking about buying a ****ing JVM. It kinda shows that he isn't a beginner and knows what he wants, not that he's clueless about amps and gear in general.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
This isn't the case here. He didn't say "oh, what's better, a spider or an MG', he was thinking about buying a ****ing JVM. It kinda shows that he isn't a beginner and knows what he wants, not that he's clueless about amps and gear in general.

You still missed the point, why not suggest something better?

This is UG, not TGP or Rig Talk. The users here are generally more inexperienced and don't know as much gear, aside from the more regular posters most probably wouldn't know about a lot of lesser known amps.

OP might come out of it with something he/she likes better than the original choices. There really is no good reason to not suggest something else.
Quote:
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
You still missed the point, why not suggest something better?

This is UG, not TGP or Rig Talk. The users here are generally more inexperienced and don't know as much gear, aside from the more regular posters most probably wouldn't know about a lot of lesser known amps.

OP might come out of it with something he/she likes better than the original choices. There really is no good reason to not suggest something else.

+1
Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
BV-95

Quote:

So instead of getting a real Marshall, he should buy an amp rated at half the wattage, with less features, based on a different Marshall?

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
BV-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I hate to admit it, but yeah TS you should get something along the lines of a 5153, or just an American amp in general. Out of the 3 you put up the JVM is probably going to be the one to go for. The Bad Cat is a great amp as well, but I don't think it's the sound you are looking for. To give you an idea of the sound you can listen to newer Steven Wilson stuff. I'm not too familiar with DV Mark heads tbh, just the cabs which are good.
Gibson RD Silverburst

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 M13
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #13
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:

uuummm...no offense but you just called everyone out and then didn't really answer the TS question either

"I'd go for a Marshall they are my favorite brand AFTER Randall" ...doesn't really help either.

Of those 3 I'd pick the JVM 2 channel probably in 50 watts and a 1960A cabinet.

I have not played the DV Mark but have heard nothing but good things. I really need to get out and find one.

The 2 channel (read 6) JVMs aren't a bad piece of kit.

That Bad Cat is pretty one dimensional from what I remember of playing it. Frickin loud beast. Nice tone for sure but probably not my over all top choice for what you want.

The Bad Cat will be in a different field than the DV or the JVM as the latter two are very versatile. I'd narrow down your needs to tone vs versatility.

I'm not a JVM fan at all personally but of those 3 it is probably the one I'd choose.

Seems you are up for other options and I live kinda near you so let me poke around a minute.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

On your Craigslist I see....

Line 6 DT 25 and cab for $900
Marshall JVM 410 and 1960AV $1700
Egnater Renegade $600
Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 mini $569
Mesa ElectraDyne $1025
Mesa Single Rec 50 $765
Egnater Renegade w/cab $1449
Budda SD30 combo $1350
Marshall JVM 410h w case $1500
Marshall JCM900s
Koch Multitone $1195
Dr Z Maz 18 $1600
Mesa Rectoverb 50 $900
Mesa Dual Rec Solo $850
Some Blackstars
Mesa .50 Cal
more stuff

Not all of those are perfect obviously and some are way over priced but you've got some nice choices there.

There is a place in Edwardsville that carries Traynor - worth checking out.

I love the EVH 5153 100 if you can find one.

Hit me up if you want to play a Splawn Quickrod or a Rectoverb. The Splawn slays for Ratt
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

There is also a used:

Hughes & Kettner Duotone at the Bridgeton GC
Marshall JVM 410 combo at the Crestwood GC
Traynor YCV80 combo at the Crestwood GC
Goodsell Black Dog 20 at the Crestwood GC
Peavey 6534 at the Crestwood GC

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-02-2015 at 05:18 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

those mesas are great deals. just resell it after you get a better idea of what you are looking for.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #17
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV-95
So instead of getting a real Marshall, he should buy an amp rated at half the wattage, with less features, based on a different Marshall?

A 'real' Marshall? What does that mean, why would anyone care about 'real' Marshall if you can get better tone from another amp?

Yes, because it's so often that you fully crank a 50w That thing is really loud btw.

And since when does more features = better? I guess because a Line 6 Spider has more features than a SLO, it's better right?

That amp will nail those 3 tones he listed to a tee, maybe for Puppets and later Metallica albums it would need a boost in front but otherwise perfect.

What's this ****ing shitty attitude here that people need to feel superior by shooting down other people's suggestions that they don't agree with...
Quote:

Last edited by Badmotorfingers : 04-02-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #18
monwobobbo

Quote:
A 'real' Marshall? What does that mean, why would anyone care about 'real' Marshall if you can get better tone from another amp?

Yes, because it's so often that you fully crank a 50w That thing is really loud btw.

And since when does more features = better? I guess because a Line 6 Spider has more features than a SLO, it's better right?

That amp will nail those 3 tones he listed to a tee, maybe for Puppets and later Metallica albums it would need a boost in front but otherwise perfect.

What's this ****ing shitty attitude here that people need to feel superior by shooting down other people's suggestions that they don't agree with...

some folks here can be a bit opinionated you just have to kind of go with it and get a thick skin.

the amp you recomended actually would work. thing about it is that it is a single channel amp so not as versitile as the ones the OP mentioned. i litned to the demo and have to say i'd kinda like to have one for certain tones. oh and by the way for certain things the Line 6 might be better than a SLO depending on what you want. for something like shoegaze the Line 6 may work better as it has the fx needed for the style built in and the need for "tube" greatness isn't as big a deal for that. just saying.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #19
Badmotorfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
some folks here can be a bit opinionated you just have to kind of go with it and get a thick skin.

the amp you recomended actually would work. thing about it is that it is a single channel amp so not as versitile as the ones the OP mentioned. i litned to the demo and have to say i'd kinda like to have one for certain tones. oh and by the way for certain things the Line 6 might be better than a SLO depending on what you want. for something like shoegaze the Line 6 may work better as it has the fx needed for the style built in and the need for "tube" greatness isn't as big a deal for that. just saying.

Yeah I know, it's just annoying you post something to suggest to OP and then some knob thinks he knows everything better than you.

Of course if OP is in a band situation and needs 2 (or more) channels then it's not a good choice, but if he's just playing at home or whatever then it's perfect.

Well for the last part he seemed to suggest that more features are better. The shoegaze thing is just a different situation but more or less features are not better or worse, just suited to different applications.
Quote:
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #20
monwobobbo

Quote:
Yeah I know, it's just annoying you post something to suggest to OP and then some knob thinks he knows everything better than you.

Of course if OP is in a band situation and needs 2 (or more) channels then it's not a good choice, but if he's just playing at home or whatever then it's perfect.

Well for the last part he seemed to suggest that more features are better. The shoegaze thing is just a different situation but more or less features are not better or worse, just suited to different applications.

well look dude i've seen you on a few other threads and sometimes you say things that aren't taken well (not saying you were necessarily wrong). it takes a little time on boards like this to build a rep for giving good advice. when folks feel you aren't or are a total noob then they get on you. that guy fryd something or other you've been fueding with is a prime example. he means well but lacks any real experience with what he talks about. try to avoid being overly opinionated (ibby rhthym guitar thing) and yu'll do just fine.

Last edited by monwobobbo : 04-02-2015 at 08:49 PM.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: