Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
DubfromGA
Old beginner

Pedals, boards, power supply advice appreciated.....

New player here.

Been taking lessons along with my son and am grateful for the experience on many levels.

It's fast becoming my favorite hobby. He's liking it, too.

I will continue with the lessons and hopefully learn to play the music I grew up loving along with the newer stuff I like: Zeppelin, Kiss, Sabbath, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Crue, Van Halen, Slash, Avenged Sevenfold and etc.

I'm very happy with my SG & Peavey Classic 30. Sounds great, looks great and comfortable. The versatility of both is really appreciated, too. I think I was very well advised on both items.

On to the questions at hand. I know that for now, all the sounds I need are obtainable with the amp and guitar alone. I see the time coming soon, though, when some effects would be really fun.

I'd rather take my time and spend my money wisely on stuff that I'll use long term vs. grabbing a bunch of low cost stuff just to fill up space. I don't want to be looking back and have buyer's remorse over not getting good stuff to start with.

I have exactly one pedal right now. It's one I bought right after getting my amp. I fell prey to marketing and whatnot.....I saw it in a store.....demo'd one....like the tones.....had cash in pocket.....impulse. I'd rather be more selective in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/TYjmTr7.jpg?1

I do like how I can use it and play my amp at low volumes an not wake up my family, yet I can get some great distortion.

The gear that has been recommended by the guy in the store:

Pedaltrain Jr (wasn't sure if this would be large enough down the road)

TC Electronic Flashback Delay and Looper Pedal

TC Electronic Corona Chorus

Visual Sound Route 66 Overdrive/Compression Pedal

Visual Sound 1 SPOT Combo Pack

Dunlop 535Q-B Crybaby Q Wah Pedal

I've read here that the Morley brand wahs are highly respected.

I also wasn't sure about the 1 SPOT power supply. Didn't know if there were other recommendations.

Another twist is that a buddy came by the other day and brought over several pedals. He no longer uses them on his board and said I could get any/all/none for super cheap. They may fill a need until I upgrade (if even needed) later on. He's built a sweet board he gigs with.

Anyway....I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse....I now I don't NEED any pedals at this time, but soon I'll grow into playing songs and think that it'd be fun to have some nice sounding pedals.

I could add them slowly over time.

Should I keep any of the ones he brought over????

My son may like goofing around with them, too. He's probably going to want his own board by mid-Summer, too.
Attached Images

Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
DubfromGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

super badass is meant to be pretty good, but i haven't tried it. the first version was a modded ds1, not sure what the fancier treble/mid/bass newer version is.

haven't tried any of those pedals you listed from the store, so I can't help there (but I know VS is well-respected and the route 66 is basically a glorified tubescreamer combined with a compressor).

those pedals your buddy has I have more experience with. it depends on how cheap you're getting them. If it is "very cheap", then I'd say several of those ones would likely be worth considering.

digidelay is pretty decent. i'd say it's of similar quality to the boss dd6. it's been superseded (though still available) by the hardware delay (which i haven't tried), but if you can get it cheap enough it's definitely worth a shot.

screamin blues is a glorified boss blues driver. it's a more transparent overdrive than tubescreamer-style ones. I like having one of each type. It goes pretty cheap new, so again don't pay too much, but if you're getting a fair saving on the new price it'd be worth a shot, too.

the vox satriani sig OD, I haven't tried, but I'm guessing it's a tubescreamer combined with a clean boost. Again, if cheap enough, probably worth a shot. If you did get it it'd mean the VS route 66 might be redundant. Don't quote me on whether or not it's a TS, though, it might not be.

the multivoice chorus sounds a bit digital for my ears (it is digital). I'd probably only bother if it's really, really cheap.

No idea about the tuner.

I haven't tried the fuzz but it uses digital modelling and classic fuzz pedals are normally solid state/analogue. And considering you have a tube amp, i'd err on the side of the classic style ones. Again, if he's letting it go ultra cheap it might be worth a shot, but if not, I'd pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Never used any of those except for the FZ-5, which was pretty bad. I'd get rid of it myself.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
DubfromGA
Old beginner

Okay. Thanks.

How about the board and power supply?

Wasn't sure about what had been recommended.
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

If you have a saw and drill, build your own. I built a nice all oak pedal board that cost me <$25 total and that included paint and Velcro to hold it all together. It took a total of 30-45min to build

There are a few pic's in my profile if you want to look

and I bought one of these power supplys over a yr ago and it works just fine for all of my pedals
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Ele...ter_p_1170.html
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 05-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's resident ska kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
If you have a saw and drill, build your own. I built a nice all oak pedal board that cost me <$25 total and that included paint and Velcro to hold it all together. It took a total of 30-45min to build

There are a few pic's in my profile if you want to look

and I bought one of these power supplys over a yr ago and it works just fine for all of my pedals
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Ele...ter_p_1170.html

I built my board out of a plank of 1/4" Birch that I got for $14 at Lowe's and used my neighbor's table saw. It's fun. I'd definitely build your own board.

I own a 535Q. Definitely worth investing in. And I've heard nothing but good things about the Route 66 and anything by TC Electronic. One Spots are cool too. I use one and it's not nearly as noisy as everyone makes it out to be.
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
DubfromGA
Old beginner

I think I'm going to get the Satriani, delay and chorus pedals for my son to use with his amp.

I'm still really smitten with the tones I can dial up with my Classic 30 & 490 pups. It may be a while before I add too much of anything.
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

The Line 6 M5/M9 are really nice FX that give you the option of using just about any type of FX you can think of. And they are good quality FX
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: