Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Lgarretto

Tubes for an orange ad30

Hey guys
So I ended up buying an orange ad30 twin channel head and it sounds great. I really love it. It has the sound I'm after. All except one aspect of it. It seems slightly "flubby". Like it's difficult to get the sound crisp, clean or overdriven. I don't know if that makes sense but I don't know how else to explain it. Although it's pretty freakin good as it. It's close. So I'm wondering if maybe some new tunes will make it perfect
So I bought the amp used and it came with a jj gz34s rectifier tube, 4 jj el34s, 2 jj ecc83 tubes, one jj ecc803s, and one electro harmonix 12ax7. I am considering getting a solid state rectifier (I've heard that will give me a fuzz more clean headroom and make things slightly more crisp), 2 tung sol 12ax7s for channel 2, and 2 tung sol 12au7s for channel 1. And leave the jj el34s.
So what do yall think? Are these good tubes? will they work okay in my ad30?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it
Lgarretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Stickymongoose

I wouldn't do the 12au7s. They are much lower gain than 12at7s, much less 12ax7s.
Stickymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Lgarretto

You think they are just too low of gain? I will likely use channel 1 as a dedicated clean channel so I thought a low gain tube would work best.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Stickymongoose

Maybe try one 12at7 and a 12ax7. Here are the gain ratings:
12ax7 - 100
12at7 - 60
12av7 - 41
12au7 - 17

I found a box of old RCA 12au7s once, and with two of them in Pro Junior, there was almost no volume. Cranked to twelve, you could talk over it and there was no breakup at all. At most, I'd try one 12at7 in there.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Lgarretto

That's true. I didn't think of the volume.
So maybe one 12at7 in the gain position and use 12ax7s for the other 3? That would work.

Okay. I will do that. And I like tung sols so I will probably get those
Thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Stickymongoose

Before buying anything, you might try swapping that electro harmonix tube around. The first tube on each channel is going to have a much bigger impact on the sound, so try that one on the channel that's giving you the most trouble.

Tung Sols are good tubes, so they'd be worth trying. When you get them, try experimenting and mixing them with the old tubes. Personally, I run all JJ preamp tubes and winged C EL34s.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Lgarretto

Yeah. I swapped the electro harmonix around and the ecc803s. I find that the electro harmonix in the gain position on channel 2 and the ecc803s in the gain position on channel 1 sounds the best.

And I'm not in a hurry. The amp sounds good. But eventually I will likely swap to tung sol
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

I would not get the SS rec. I had one in my JTM45 clone, it was terrible. Rectifier tubes are cheap, and last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Yeah stay with the tube rectifier it kinda makes the amp.

I say get some jj5751's for the preamp and maybe a few jjECC803's also. 5751 have a bit less gain than a 12ax7, but more gain than any other preamp tube in the 12ax7 family. the ecc803 is a bit smoother tube also.

Really you might get results closer to what your looking to achieve by putting a EQ in the loop
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #10
Lgarretto

i ended up getting a sovtek solid state rectifier, a tungsol 12ax7, and a tungsol 12at7 and I have to say, I couldn't be happier. I put the 12ax7 in the gain stage of channel 2 and the 12at7 in the gain stage of channel 1. The tungsol 12ax7 has more bite than the jjecc83s and the 12at7 is perfect for what I want. Now my channel 1 is both a clean channel and an overdrive. With my les Paul's volume on about 7 I get great cleans and if I crank the guitar volume it's just the right abount of overdrive. And my channel 2 has a little more bite to it as well
As for the rectifier I think it was supposed to kinda make everything tighter and a little more crisp, and it did. Sounds perfect to me.

Rate This Thread: