Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
onethat

Question Digitech RP80 vs Whammy

So I've been looking at the whammy/semitone setting on the RP80 and it seems to be very similar to the "digitech Whammy" in some aspects. Though the Whammy 5th gen has more features, I still don't get it.

Why is the RP80 so cheap and the Whammy is so expensive?

The RP80 is really a clusterf**k of digital effects. I can see why it doesn't hold respect from enthusiast. But is this Whammy pedal just so expensive because Jack White uses it?

Anyone's feedback is appreciated on this. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges...

Last edited by onethat : 08-05-2015 at 08:50 AM.
onethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethat
Why is the RP80 so cheap and the Whammy is so expensive?

The Whammy is a better pedal. Same reason a Gibson LP costs more than an Epi LP. Yes they do the same thing, but one is just better at it.

EDIT: Sorry I just had another look at the RP80. They don't even do the same thing. The RP80 is a beginner's multifx unit, the Whammy is a high quality pitch-shifting pedal.

Last edited by Random3 : 08-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Will Lane
brb thinking of a title

Pitch shifting is not an area I would go budget on, unless you're looking for glitch stuff. Octave up stuff is okay with budget units maybe but only with single notes/monophony... If you're looking for semitone drops as in detuning, the Digitech Drop is more up that alley. I think the Digitech Whammy DT does both (detuning and whammy) but that unit is a bit expensive.

Units like the RP80 are great for beginners. But the effect quality isn't that great.
"Get up, turn up the mix level and wash your sins away!"
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lane
I think the Digitech Whammy DT does both (detuning and whammy) but that unit is a bit expensive.

I had the 4th Gen Whammy which let you do that.

You can go up by up to 2 octaves, and down by up to 3. Also had a drop tune, harmony modes and chorus settings.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: