Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Warrior2014

Could I damage my amp using it this way?

Hi everyone.

I own a Blackstar HT5 Metal head, with the 4x8 cabinet also made by blackstar.
I have swapped the pre amp tube from the Sovtek to a Tung Sol, which did improve sound quality, although sometimes it still sounded slightly muffled to me, especially at lower volumes and on the British side.

I am Running a Fzone tuner, a Boss CE-5, and a Zoom G5 Multi FX unit into the front of the amp.

I was using amp models, but I really want to use the sound of the actual amplifier, with the multiFX for my pedal needs and recording.

I find that I get better sound if I run a tubescreamer style pedal sim into the amp, on its overdrive channel, with just a tiny bit dialled in to boost the signal.

I then turn my Overdrive down, and it sounds much better.

My only worry is, that as it is already on the overdrive channel, will I be pushing the tubes/valves TOO hard? I am not going for mega distortion, gain is dialled at about 9 o clock max on the amp, and this is great for the styles I like to play-plus it sounds like the actual amp, but without the muffledness.

I also use a Noise gate sim, and occasionally a reverb sim, although I don't mind the reverb on the amp.

So, is what I am doing safe, or am I risking damage to the amplifier?

Thanks everyone, Conan.
Warrior2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Its fine, thats actually the way most people use hi gain amps. As far as i know you cant really overload the preamp tubes with an overdrive. I use a bad monkey overdrive in front of my jca 50, and i have it turned pretty high up, and it works fine ever since i got it.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

No, that is fine.

Although you may have better sound quality using a standalone overdrive (tubescreamer) pedal rather than the effect in the Zoom unit.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
adambauman31

that's fine. the zoom might be causing some of muffledness. try plugging in without that and dial in the amp that way.
adambauman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
guitarsngear
Tab Contributor

Your amp will be fine, boosting a dirty channel with an overdrive is a trick 99% of metal players use, a lot of others use it as well, just not with as much gain, the typical 'boost' setting is no gain, full volume and tone to taste.
guitarsngear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: