Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
cdypko1

Discussion - Buying Strings online vs In Store

In this day in age, many purchases are done online rather than in brick and mortar stores. As somebody who lives inconveniently far from most music stores, I find it bothersome to go out and purchase strings on a regular basis. Ironically enough, I almost exclusively get my strings from the guitar centers that are miles away from my house rather than order them online.

It interests me to know how other people buy their strings. Is it mostly online or mostly in person? If it is in person, is it usually at a major chain such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash, or do you patronize your local mom & pop music shop?
cdypko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Both. I buy in bulk online but if I want to try something different I hit the local store(s).
Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Will Lane
brb thinking of a title

Local shop. Although there isn't much variety, and I'm wanting to try Dunlops new Super Brights...
"Get up, turn up the mix level and wash your sins away!"
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
metalmingee

Amazon Subscribe and Save with a bunch of other stuff most of the time.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
jpnyc

It depends on what strings I’m buying. At least once a year ten packs of D’Addario .09s and .10s are sold for around $20 and I stock up. I buy heavier strings at the local music store because once I pay shipping I don’t save any money anyway. With bass strings it depends on what I need. I usually buy them local, but sometimes I need a weird set and order them from Amazon.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Strings cost half online than in a shop. So why would I buy them in a shop? They're just strings. it's not like I have to try them out first.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
ikey_

well depends. do you have amazon prime? online. better variety and with free shipping its the same or cheaper. and you dont have to spend gas money....

if you want to get into some religious debate about which strings will be fresher or something....lets just not do that.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

MF has no order minimum for free shipping. thats what i do for pretty much everything. i don't like two of my local stores, and they are overpriced and i have problems with them and don't care to support them. there is one store that i like, but they are 30 minutes away, gas would be more expensive than a pack of strings. gas isn't really a big deal, but still it takes time. i can click and order strings from MF in two minutes and pick them up at my door a few days later. i am never in a rush, as i always make sure i have plenty.

i buy strings in bulk, as much as i can. i have used d'addario .11"s for the past 7 years, and buy in bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
dspellman

Both in-store and online. Wherever the best deal is.
It's very rare that the best deal will be at Guitar Center.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 AM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Here, they want $13 in store for D'Addarios. I can have them delivered from an ebay store for $6. It's a no brainer.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
cdypko1

Yea, the strings are much cheaper online. For me, going to the store to get strings also allows me to look around and play with other guitars that I'm interested in I usually end up turning that trip to the store into a jam session.

I'm not the guy who plays Metallica too loud at guitar center if you're wondering.

I know of a service, but I'm not sure if it exist anymore, named "Dollar String Club." Basically it was modeled after the "Dollar Shave Club" and would deliver fresh guitar strings every month for a pretty low price. The thing with that is that people have specific string preferences like Elixir or Ernie Ball. This business made their own strings. Others need more than one pack every month depending on how many guitars they have and how often they change their strings.

If you had 3 guitars and wanted 3 packs of strings delivered to your house once a month, $15-$20 doesn't sound so bad, especially when a pack of elixirs or GHS can cost about $15+ in store.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

There are no 'mom and pop' stores. They're all robots.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
cdypko1

This is debatable. The music store in my town was family owned and operated, but was flooded out and destroyed a few years back. I remember that they charged way too much for strings. A pack of Elixirs were nearly $20. Ernie Ball Slinky's were around $7-8. Guitar Centers and these other "robot" corporations can afford to charge more competitive prices. Getting you in the store is their priority. I'd be willing to bet that they make more money off of moving the more expensive hardware than guitar/bass strings.

With that said, online stores don't have that same mentality. You're there for the strings only most of the time, yet they charge significantly less.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

No, I mean the moms and pops. They're literally robots.
*tinfoil hat*
Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
cdypko1

I don't get the reference lol.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Strings cost half online than in a shop. So why would I buy them in a shop? They're just strings. it's not like I have to try them out first.

Yeah, pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedBand
You don't go to a Slayer concert and see a combo.

\m/
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
Rickholly74

I buy in bulk from MF most of the time. Ernie Ball Slinky 10's in a 12 pack is $40.00 that's $3.33 a pack deliver to my door free. I also have a stock of Musicians Gear generic strings. They were just on sale again at $1.50 a set. I just bought 30 sets. Sound wise when I first put them on I don't hear or feel a huge difference. The Ernie Ball Slinky's stay brighter a little longer but at $1.50 a set I can afford to change them more often and in the summer I do quite a few outdoor gigs that kill my strings..

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 08-04-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I buy from either.

Under a doctrine of "enlightened self-interest" I make sure I buy stuff from local retailers, in order to ensure that there will always be retailers who are local to me.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah but the problem with that is that my local guitar shop (i.e. the one in my town) advertises selling "electrical" guitars. If I had a half-decent local shop I probably would try to support it, but as it is the only half-decent shops are the guts of a 100 mile trip away. I'm not driving 100 miles to buy strings, and I don't see why I'd support a shop which can't even get the name of the product it sells correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedBand
You don't go to a Slayer concert and see a combo.

\m/
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
TheLiberation
MORE MIDS

Mostly online, it is slightly cheaper which is part of the reason, but the main thing is that I also play 7-string in drop A and apparently a) such tuning is still rocket science for most major string companies and there are still no sets designed for such (I know e.g. Dunlop makes something along these lines but their strings are fairly hard to come by here), b) finding single strings in local stores thicker than .056 is near-impossible, so I tend to order a 9-42 set along with a single 62.

That's the main reason really, if I could I'd probably get them from local stores more often, as counting shipping the difference in price is not really that significant in most cases. And I like the "omg it's new and from a store and in my hands it's so shiny!" thing.

Last edited by TheLiberation : 08-04-2015 at 06:57 PM.
TheLiberation is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: