Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
tomsy49

Looking for a simpler hd500 replacement

So for the last couple months i have been running a pod hd500 through an alto ts112a powered speaker and i just find myself messing around with settings more than i am actually playing. It takes me forever to get a tone i like and i hate having to dick around with the settings forever. I know the pod is probably one of the better multi-effects for the price but it's time to move on.

Most of my playing is very moderate volumes or through headphones and i only play at home. I would rather have an amp/pedal that is capable of a great high gain tone than anythign else as thats what i mostly play (metallica, Tool, Meshuggah, Down, etc.). I have a tech 21 trademark 10 but the small speaker sounds terrible with any gain.

I am looking for something to replace the pod that is way simpler to get a great tone. I would consider a simpler floor unit or even a smaller amp i can run through the alto speaker. Is it possible to run a tube head into the alto with an XLR out without a cab? I feel like either the HT-5 or the randall diavlo allows you to do this with a dummy load to the speaker. Would it be possible to use something like that without a cab? I also have been considering a tube vypyr or the yamaha thrX running from headphone out to the PA. I would prefer something i can plug headphones into but maybe not totally neessary. I don\t want to spend more than $500 at the most. The less i have to spend above my cash back from the pod the better! Thanks UG!
Digitech Whammy V
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 Combo (SOLD)
Line 6 Pod HD500
tomsy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Eventually you will settle on a few standard patches and all will be ok. You just need to have some patience. You're not off the learning curve yet. Give it time.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
tomsy49

The fact that you can tweak every little aspect makes me want to get a better tone all the time and I'm almost OCD about trying to make it better. I'd just prefer a simpler option in general.
Digitech Whammy V
Line 6 Pod HD500
Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I repeat, give it time. What you are doing here is a knee jerk reaction. Wait.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
lemurflames
Ronnie

PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 AM   #6
crackerjack123

Sometimes giving it time isn't enough. The HD500 is a pain in the ass. Mine lasted 3 months before I just got plain fed up of having to mess around with it instead of playing guitar. Get a boss me80 or digitech rp360xp. The boss wins hands down over the hd500 anyway. I would never swap back. My experience with the Pod was so uninspiring I wouldn't accept one off somebody for free, it was that annoying.

Last edited by crackerjack123 : 02-23-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: new info
crackerjack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
Will Lane
brb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Eventually you will settle on a few standard patches and all will be ok. You just need to have some patience. You're not off the learning curve yet. Give it time.

//thread

PODs are worth the learning. Use patches from your favorite sounds and just tweak them. Tone chasing never stops. You'll always want to edit, tweak, etc. Les Paul chased tone until he was dead. Sit down with the POD and the speaker all by yourself and start from the bottom up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack123
Sometimes giving it time isn't enough. The HD500 is a pain in the ass. Mine lasted 3 months before I just got plain fed up of having to mess around with it instead of playing guitar. Get a boss me80 or digitech rp360xp. The boss wins hands down over the hd500 anyway. I would never swap back. My experience with the Pod was so uninspiring I wouldn't accept one off somebody for free, it was that annoying.
I have had an RP-155 for over 3 years now and I'm still learning about it.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack123
3 months is a long time? Short attention span or what?
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Old 02-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #9
RJH11
Tone chaser

^ Yeah anyone that wants to ditch a piece of gear after 3 months if its choice gear PM me I'll go twenty over guitar centers buy back offer.
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:35 AM   #10
crackerjack123

The only use I found for the hd500 was switching variax settings without dicking around with the guitar switches. Apart from that it wasn't worth the effort for the mediocre sounds it offered for hours of messing with parameters. When I have time to practice I want to practice becoming a better player not spend my time dicking around getting a half decent sound. It's only my personal taste but the HD500 was a waste of my time, and at my age, time is getting more and more precious..lol.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I understand you in a way, after 6+ months with my POD i've found i'm starting to get it, and how to get decent results from it. Albeit with a little help from this guide http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

That said, it doesn't stop me from sometimes finding something slightly wrong with my tones after a day or twos break from playing, but I often either just sit through it and ignore it, or i'll spend a few minutes making a minor tweak and leave it at that.

It's just time man, you get to know stuff like which models work best for what job, what effects best work as a TS etc.
The one thing i've yet to get working properly is the hard gate..still need more work with that.
Yamaha RBX270

Magnum 44 Poweramp
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
TheGroundZero

I agree with ambler3 100% on the foobazaar guide. It's the most comprehensive guide out there that I know of.

I've been playing for 29 years and gone through probably 10 different "main rigs" and I don't ever remember NOT tweaking on amps, effects, etc. to try to get that ultimate tone. It never happens. But that's part of the enjoyment I think.

I have a PODHD500X I run with the 4-cable method with a 6505+. Granted, I use the 6505+'s preamp for some of my patches, but I've also made several patches using models and they sound really good. I play just about the same type of music as you, so I know those tones are in there.

Have you tried downloading any patches or are you starting from scratch on everything?
I highly advise you use the guide linked in the post above mine. You have to put in the studying time first, but the knowledge you come out with will help you find that evasive uber tone you've been searching for much faster.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
TheGroundZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
GreshamSmash

I understand your frustration, I had a POD HD Pro X, I had to return it due to the fact it malfunctioned and could not act as an interface, which was my main reason of use. However, the Tones, like the HD500... are very very good.

However, if you are looking for a simpler option, I use a Zoom G5 Multi Effects pedal, and I have gotten tones out of it that I would confidently say rival the HD Pro X/ 500X. You don't have as much tone searching options, but if you put the time in finding the sounds you want. You could definitely get some use out of it.
I havent tried the other pedals mentioned above, I'm just mentioning the one I have experience with.

Good luck :-)
GreshamSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
Robbgnarly

Give it some time and don't be impatient. Good sounding modeling gear takes some time to learn. Personally I like Line 6 because I have used them for 15 years and the learning curve is very short for me. The fact they sound good is just a bonus.

Why not just take a few sessions and actually go through the POD and try the various settings/FX and tweek them to your liking. Like Cathbard said you will eventually end up using a few patches all the time and probably will not even look at any others most of the time.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
tomsy49

Thanks for the replies! I have been referencing the foobazar guide quite regularly. I've used some of his patches and some sound pretty decent with my setup but some do not. I try to tweak them to my taste as much as possible using the guide but i find i go in circles as i try to tweak some EQ settings then try a different cab that sounds a bit better and tweak it more. Then switch mic's and then i think the original sounds better so i go back. The fact that in most of his patches there are a minimum of 2 EQ pedals in the chain makes adjusting anything quite tedious especially when i don't have my computer handy near where i play. Also, Any tones i've picked off the line 6 website are usually not very good for my setup.

I understand that putting more time into testing it would be the best option but i don't have a lot of time to play as much as i'd like and i'd really like to be able to sit down and play and enjoy the sound I'm hearing. Sorry if i'm sounding picky or unwilling cause that isn't the case. I just wish it was a little simpler.

I think another factor is i actually enjoy tweaking real knobs rather than cycling through effects and parameters on a 3" x 2" screen. I may hold on to it for longer but some other suggestions would be appreciated as well! I actually debated between the ME-80 and the pod when i initially bought them but went with the pod because it seemed to have better amp modelling for high gain. I liked the idea of all the knobs on the ME even though they do not become effective until they are touched after changing a patch.
Digitech Whammy V
Line 6 Pod HD500
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #16
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

While I understand your frustration, I have to disagree with most of the advice given so far. I had a friend that purchased an HD-500 and ended up feeling the same way you do. I helped him find a conventional tube amp and he's much happier now. Some people just aren't comfortable with a piece of gear that requires a significant learning curve to operate adequately and that's fine.

I could say "quit tweaking and just play" but we both know that's not going to happen.

So sell it to someone that it's more suited for and pick up a Vypyr 60, which is simpler and easier and will give you the tones and options you're looking for. I saw a NIB one yesterday for $325, used ones are often around $250.

Sticking with gear that you don't like is like banging your head against the wall, it only feels good when you stop...
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
Robbgnarly

^+1 on the Vypyr

Then you can use the powered wedge for vocals or playing backing tracks you can practice with
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
GreshamSmash

+1 for Arby911

Going through a good amp may be what you need as well.
In my ignorance, I assumed you, as I did, used the POD as its interface function into a DAW for recording.
But if thats not the case, another +1 for Arby911

If you are using the interface function but its still a pain etc, a POD Interface w/ PodFarm could be another option, or some of the other Amp Plug Ins - Amplitube, Guitar Rig. etc.

Just throwing different paths for you,

The quest for tone is approachable from so many angles =]
GreshamSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
tomsy49

I actually have a toneport UX2 that i got real cheap on Kijiji (canadian craigslist) and podfarm on my computer that i could use for recording if i choose. Perhaps the vypyr may be my best bet. I live in rural Saskatchewan, Canada and used gear is tough to find nearby. May have to turn to eBay for this one. I had the SS 30 watt vypyr with a sanpera but i got a 6505 112 combo to replace that, so i'm familiar with the series and i have tested the 60 watt tube version before and i liked it . I've been a notorious gear swapper as i'm sure many are.

Any other floor pedals worth looking at that would be similar to the pod but easier to use i would consider one of those too. Other amp suggestions would be good too.
Digitech Whammy V
Line 6 Pod HD500
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsy49
I actually have a toneport UX2 that i got real cheap on Kijiji (canadian craigslist) and podfarm on my computer that i could use for recording if i choose. Perhaps the vypyr may be my best bet. I live in rural Saskatchewan, Canada and used gear is tough to find nearby. May have to turn to eBay for this one. I had the SS 30 watt vypyr with a sanpera but i got a 6505 112 combo to replace that, so i'm familiar with the series and i have tested the 60 watt tube version before and i liked it . I've been a notorious gear swapper as i'm sure many are.

Any other floor pedals worth looking at that would be similar to the pod but easier to use i would consider one of those too. Other amp suggestions would be good too.

Since the Vypyr 60 is the modeler you're already used to with a 6505 (+) tube power amp section (which you're also seemingly familiar with) I'd say it's about a perfect as can be for your needs.

Guitar Center will ship one to you.

I'd get the Sanpera for convenience as well, but you already knew that!

Rate This Thread: