Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
josephgriffiths

boss ns-2 buzzing problem - help?

Ok so this sounds weird but my Boss NS-2 is actually adding a buzz to the signal.

The unit has always worked fine, but recently I went all out and bought a Voodoo Labs Power Plus 2. The problem seems to be the addition of a 50Hz hum/buzz. I've isolatd it to the send/return loop of my NS-2 pedal. I figurd this out by pluging my guitar straight into the NS-2 and out again, there was no buzz, then as soon as I connect a straight lead into the pedals loop the buzzing starts. This buzzing is related to how close the voodoo lab power supply is, so if I move it closer the buzz gets louder and if move it about 50cm away the buzzing goes away almost completely.

The reason I can't simply attach my voodoo lab to the other side of my pedal board is that the other pedals that are actually within the NS-2 send/return loop are scattered all over the board and come into close proximity to the voodoo lab and picking up the buzz.

I can't understand why only whats plugged into the NS-2's send/return loop will pick up the buzz if in close proximity the voodoo, its weird cause anything that's NOT in the loop such as my delay pedal won't. This goes beond my understanding of electronics.

Could it be come sort of phase thing, or earthing issue, is the send/return loop unshielded or something in the NS-2 that warrants me upgrading to a G-String decimator?

Any advice would be awesome!!

Thanks.
josephgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I've never heard of that problem with the NS-2 before but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Basically, I just look at what has changed. Were you using a battery before that or a different power supply. Have you tried a different power supply other than the Voodoo. I'm assuming you've check cables and such? Does Voodoo make a longer daisy chain you can buy? Are both loop and NS-2 supplies on the same house power outlet? I'm guessing bad cable or jack on the loop side of the NS-2. Free bump basically.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
EspTro

this is gonna sound dumb but make sure your not plugged in to the wrong inputs on the NS-2...

thats all i got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
josephgriffiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspTro
this is gonna sound dumb but make sure your not plugged in to the wrong inputs on the NS-2....

Yeah I've got it all plugged in right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've never heard of that problem with the NS-2 before but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Basically, I just look at what has changed. Were you using a battery before that or a different power supply. Have you tried a different power supply other than the Voodoo. I'm assuming you've check cables and such? Does Voodoo make a longer daisy chain you can buy? Are both loop and NS-2 supplies on the same house power outlet? I'm guessing bad cable or jack on the loop side of the NS-2. Free bump basically.

Yeah so the problem only started ONCE I bought the Voodoo power supply. I.e. my thoughts are that because of the massive transformer in that unit the huge magnetic field generated is enough to send some 50-60Hz cycle into my signal chain. I used to use a couple of transformers including a boss PSA adapter, didn't have any problems

However, the confusing part is that is only happens with the send/return loop section of my NS-2 pedal. So if I just plug all my pedals into the front of my NS-2 then straight to the amp its fine, BUT if I plug all my pedals through the loop of the NS-2 it picks up a buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
....Does Voodoo make a longer daisy chain you can buy?.....
All the cable are separate so I'd need like 8 extra long cables to enable me to place the voodoo a resonable distance (say 50-60cm) away from my board. That's not practical.

Thanks for the replies. Any more thoughts?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
EspTro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephgriffiths
Yeah I've got it all plugged in right.

sorry to make myself look dumb but every time i redo my pedals i always somehow end up wiring it wrong :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
josephgriffiths

anyone else got any ideas?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Ctbohannon40

Dude!!! I am so glad to find this on the internet, I am not alone! I have been having the SAME problem and been obsessing over it for like 2 weeks [getting unhealthy]. You are correct in that the electro-magnetic field around the PP2+ is emitting waves into the Send/Return noise gate of the NS-2 causing the buzz. I am myself considering trying a different noise gate or trying to call Boss again [they literally NEVER pickup] to see if they have thoughts. I actually bought another NS-2 cause I thought mine may have been jacked up, but it is def an issue.

I worked with support from Voodoo labs to help identify this issue and they have been severely helpful. At the end of the day I moved my SD-1 and Ibanez tube screamer to the far bottom right of my pedal-train but since the PP2+ is mounted in there and I have the medium sized one there is still a very faint buzz. I feel you and it sucks to pay all that money to actually have worse sound but if I hear anything from boss/Voodoo Labs or try out a different noise gate I will def update this post.
Ctbohannon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
SpiderM
Geetar playing marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctbohannon40
if I hear anything from boss/Voodoo Labs or try out a different noise gate I will def update this post.

Maybe update us in another 5 years time?
SpiderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Ctbohannon40

haha I think I am actually going to return the NS-2 and go for the Decimator , just need to confirm I will not have the same problem from ISP
Ctbohannon40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: