Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #21
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

^ the jewel light? Idk...I figured theres already a red like on it (channel 3) so I changed it to blue.

Member of the Orange Revolution club!
kurdtkobaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #22
guitarrocka205
Dime's boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKIDD
Do you put all that out front of the amp or ni the Fx loop?

It's like this: Guitar>wah>whammy>tuner> amp. (I switched them recently)

Then the FX loop: send>phaser>tremolo>delay>return

That's uh... that's about it~
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
guitarrocka205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

^ Ive heard some ppl say they like their delay infront of their amp as opposed to in the FX loop. They say the delay (feedback) sounds more natural. I havnt been able to try it since my Digidelay broke though...

Old 12-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #24
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

yeah my digidelay has this annoying whine when im setting the tap tempo... but it sounds much more organic in the Loop on my recto.

Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join

I am slightly dislexic, I misspell things, get over it.
SGKIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

New settings for a shmeksy over drive sound

Channel 1: Pushed

Pres: 3-3:30
Master: loud
Gain:Pegged
Low: noon
Mid: noon
High: Pegged

It sounds great with a decent set of hand wound custom made humbuckers in m paul... (they wholesale for 300 a piece, retail for 350 or so..)

Last edited by SGKIDD : 12-08-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #26
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

According to the manual youre not supposed to ever have the Treble maxed out with maxed out gain when using Pushed mode on channel 1.

#11 of the helpful hints on page 3.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #27
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

Yes due to microphonic feedback.... I know, use earplugs, or grow a pair... also can cause Oscillation, which is a fancy word for blowup.... if your using 12AX7's and they are quality tubes you ahve nothing to worry about....

Its not that big of a deal, actually they just are warning you in case something goes wong they can say "we told you so"

Also what are your settings you use for your mesa?

Last edited by SGKIDD : 12-09-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 AM   #28
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

*Settings are on a 0-10 basis*
Channel 1- Clean
Volume- where ever
Gain - 4
High - 6.8
Mids - 2
Low -7
Pres - 8

Channel 2- Modern
Volume - 5
Gain - 5
High - 6
Mids - 6.5
Low - 5
Pres - 6.5

Channel 3 - Modern
Volume - 5
Gain - 8
High - 4.5
Mid - 5.5
Low - 6
Pres - 6.5

In the effects loop the dry/wet knob (lol) is set to 100%. The return is set to about 10%.

Infront of the amp Im running a BOSS SD-1, a Danelectro Cool Cat, and a Behringer tuner (yeah yeah its not all that bad).
Luckily the chorus has a stereo out so that I dont have to run the signal through the Behringer tuner which would cause serious signal loss.

Ill be adding a VisualSound H20 chorus/delay soon too!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #29
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

what tuner, lol cus I have a behringer rack tuner i run off my Ibanez chorus/Flanger's stereo out haha! it sits on my peal board tilted back (photos soon guys so you can see the messsssss

my chorus ad dela are in the FX loop and the Wah, and sd-1 and ts-9 and bbe are in that order behind the wah in front of the amp.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #30
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

Its the pedal tuner. Its not that bad at tuning my guitar, its just that the bypass is so cheaply made that when you run a signal through it you get a LOT of hiss/hum and tons of signal degradation. Which is why I run it through the stereo out.

I have the rack tuner at work, and the same thing accurs. At least it did when I tried it on the Ashdown Fallen Angel. But what can you expect from a $20 pedal and a $50 rack tuner...

Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #31
dertjoe

SGKIDD i notice you have rubys, VERY NICE Choice, those are my favriote tube of all time, i actually use them in my TSL and Triple Recto, the 800 recieves Groove tho since those came in it when i bought her and i love them, anyway what changes did you notice?
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
dertjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #32
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

Oh th gain is much much tighter now, much more fluid, and generally better sounding. The rectifier tubes mad e ahuge difference not so much in toneality, but in the feeling of sag in the amp, amazing warmth and response is perfect Although On channel three with the ultra-High_gain settings It tends to be a bit flabby in the low end but I am posotive thats my oversied cabinet working against me.

Im going to buy a VooDoo amps Cabinet as they are simply the best!

Trace at Voodoo Does amp modification and the such and he is who I go to for all my work. He mods amps for guys like, Defleopard, simple Plan, barenaked lady's, smashimng pumkins, joe stump joe bonamassa, and George Lynch (dokken) to anema few....and his cabinets are also renouned for a 2X12 sounding like a half stack, and a 4X12 sounding like two

Not advertising just giving a respective background.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
ibanez4life SZ!
UG's PRS + Mesa Abuser

Put some EL-34s in those rectos....I can't believe how great my recto sounds now!

My clips were flabby because I was afraid to turn the bass down....I like my tone bassy, and when I put the E-34Ls in, I was afraid I would loose that bass.....NO WAY! They have the same bass as the 6L6s, just higher in frequency and tighter. I run my bass at 10 o'clock.....this is with an oversized cab!

You guys are complaining about a woofy and flubby bass.....it's the 6L6s....the recto has so much bass that putting a bass heavy tube in there is like suicide. The oversized cab is by far one of the best cabs in production IMO.

Give it a try....I was skeptical, and it took my months to finally do the swap even after I bought the tubes, but god am I happy I finally grew some balls and did it!

The Endless Endeavor: Mypsace
The Endless Endeavor: Facebook

Thanks for looking!

PRSi---> Boogie
ibanez4life SZ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #34
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

Oversixed Cabs are horrid buddy, they have a terrible acoustic ratio and it just leaves standing bass frequencies to bounce around inside... Worst cab ever.... The Numbers dont compute,... This was all coming from a Mesa employee of several years and also from Trace at voodoo who build some of the best cabs around. (he wasnt trying to sell me anything he sugggested If I didnt like his price go with a matching mesa and just gfet a standard cab...cus the oversized were horrid...) and not in construction quality. Sound man all about the sound. The reason your amps sounded flubby is because the cab is an issue, Recto's wer designed around 6L6's... thats what made them famous.

However, you can get some deent sound out of it but put that head with a standard cab, and watch where your bass knob goes... I gurantee to about 1-2...to close to the same bass response.. and it will be tighter.

Also Be carefull of t hose GZ-34's they are rated at a higher output than a 5U4GB and could have an issue with your out put transformer, and the sound is so close to using the diodes I personally wouldnt use the GZ's and risk burning out my transformer, especially on a triple, on a dual you might be a bit safer but not much... and be carefull of pushing your amp too hard witht them, most guys that used them instead of 5U4GB's use the SS rectifier because of the tonal similarities, and lack of burning tuo a transformer. Try runnig your amp on the Diode setting, with the "spongy switch on spongy" and the difference is sooo minmal, if a sound meter cant detect variables I doubt you can haha. I would stick with 5U4GB's.....now for the power setion...

I am a 6L6 guy, I have other amps with EL-34's and I can get some monster sounds out of them but by no means does any of them touch the Mesa.

6L6's have a much more durable build and are a much more consistant tube hen runnig.

I love my EL-34 amps, but no way am I putting them in my Mesa. 6L6 power is what made Mesa Mesa. I say use EL-34's in it for now but in six months, go back to 6L6's and listen again for the differences. haha. Hope some of this helped.

Last edited by SGKIDD : 12-09-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #35
dertjoe

EL-34s are actually non suggested in rectos, they can actually damage the amp, ive worked at a recto dealer for years tho i was never informed anything about the oversized cabs, i like them but tone is all preferance, if you look in your recto manual it will say use EL-34s at your own risk, that way they arent responsible and it will actually void your warranty completely
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #36
WayToSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dertjoe
EL-34s are actually non suggested in rectos, they can actually damage the amp, ive worked at a recto dealer for years tho i was never informed anything about the oversized cabs, i like them but tone is all preferance, if you look in your recto manual it will say use EL-34s at your own risk, that way they arent responsible and it will actually void your warranty completely

I doubt Mesa would include a bias select switch if EL-34's were gonna blow up all their amps.
WayToSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
kurdtkobaign
My name is Andy

Quote:

Theyre not non-suggested. All theyre saying is that EL34s are unreliable. So they suggest to bring extra tubes and fuses incase a power tube fails while running EL34s. It wouldnt hurt your amp in any way.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #38
SGKIDD
Fan-Great!

Bump.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #39
dertjoe

ok let me address this, yes their is a bias switch, they got put in BY POPULAR DEMAND, EL-34s arent a unreliable tube, sure they would blow in master volumes because you crank them to the max, in JCM800 2 channels through modern amps that has not been an issue with an EL-34, Mesas were not designed around EL-34s and Rectos dont need volume for the saturation, and anytime a tube blows in your amp its not a good thing, that causes amounts of damage that over time will add up, that if you used a 6L6 like recommended wont happen i never said it would blow an amp, but it will cause amounts of damage, if you prefer an EL-34 thats all up to you, im just saying by doing that your warranty is void
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #40
Erock503
Gear \m/hore

Location: NJ member - Mark Series Brotherhood - UG gain \m/hores - UG 7 String Legion
Quote:
ok let me address this, yes their is a bias switch, they got put in BY POPULAR DEMAND, EL-34s arent a unreliable tube, sure they would blow in master volumes because you crank them to the max, in JCM800 2 channels through modern amps that has not been an issue with an EL-34, Mesas were not designed around EL-34s and Rectos dont need volume for the saturation, and anytime a tube blows in your amp its not a good thing, that causes amounts of damage that over time will add up, that if you used a 6L6 like recommended wont happen

a 6L6 can blow, just like an EL34 can, either "can" damage an amp if there is severe shorting.

Quote:
i never said it would blow an amp, but it will cause amounts of damage, if you prefer an EL-34 thats all up to you, im just saying by doing that your warranty is void

If they are running correctly, how is this damaging an amp? If they are shorting out, yeah, but running correctly they won't damage an amp. Where does it say in writing that Mesa will void the warranty if you use EL34? Why wouldn't they mention this in any of their manuals, since they mention you can run them very clearly? Besides mentioning running 6L6 and EL34 in my Mark IV, they mention that you can use 6V6 if some precautions are taken. They say because they can't verity that you have run it correctly(impedance using 4ohm in stead of 8, tweed, simulclass), they can't warranty the 6V6 "tubes", but mentions nothing of voiding the amp warranty, even in that case.
Erock503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: