Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
zwound
Rainbow plateau

Squier bullet makeover

Short go-through, for more details, and pics, just looks through the thread

Update: 26/02/07

see last page for details.

So my first serious customization plan, and yes my first project post on UG!

So basically, i grew tired of my first guitar, which happened to be a squier bullet strat (the one that supposedly has the plywood body). since i already have a much better strat, and this one was just kept under the bed, i decided i would give it a complete makeover from the dull red, to superfunk, and keep it as a wall decoration, or a last chance guitar backup.

here's what it looked like when i got it:

gonna make it natural

I have a spare Fender humbucker, that i replaced on my other guitar, and im thinking of putting it in the bridge for the project. it also seems like, i dont need to route the body, as the slot in the body seems to be large enough (see below).

atm i'm finishing sanding the body. AND NOTE, bullet strats are supposed to be 'plywood'. mine seems to be a normal body! (please comment on this). i'm going to try to fill in some cavities, and find some undercoats at my next visit to a building store tomorrow!

body:

Paint stripping: Used a disc sander to get 90% of the p[aint off. this was kidna dangerous, and left some unwanted dents. then sanded it with 40 grit sandpaper by hand, and a delta sander. for the insides of the horns, i glued a roll of 60 grit on a stick, and made it spin really fast using a machine in my school. this enabled to get rid of the inside paint with great efficiency, accuarcy, and also, didnt leave any unwanted cuts! i'm currently still using the delta and 60-120 grit paper, to get rid of some dings. some of those dings will be filled in with something (i'll be checking on that tomorrow)

So tune in, and see this thing develop, as i'll be upgrading the post, as i make more progress! thanks for looking, and all comments are welcome!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--++-+-+-+-++-+-+-

FINALLY UPDATE!!! (20.01)

i decided that i will leave my guitar natural.

i took a huge break from building, but i just got new energy...enough to complete the project.

i thought painting would be depressing, and would probably turn out unoriginal or shitty. so im leaving it natural.

todays efforts:

1. removing all remaining traces of the old undercoat (complete)
2. removing (loads) of dents using a delta sander (98% complete)
3. making all the curves nice and smooth (98% complete)
4. fine shaving (80% complete)
5. getting laquer off the neck (70% complete)

extended:

1: there were alot of traces of the undercoat, which appeared as a reddish brown layer above the wood itself. i wuite like the wood now that htat's gone.

2: since i use a sort of a disc sander to take off the paint (took 5 mins to take off the paint), it produced immaculate amount of dents on the wood. i took care of it in an hours time. it's pretty much fixed now

3: the disc sander was very clumbsy in my opinion, and since i was inda excited to get the paint off, and ruched, i left many stratocaster curves uneven and squareish. that's fixed too, and i couldnt tell there was anyhing wrong with it before)

4: swapped the sandpaper on the delta sander to quite fine grit, and went over the body for about an hour. top and bottom are pretty much done, the sides just need a bit more shaving

5: i always felt that the laquer on this squier was extemely greasy. it sucked. i think thats why i hated the guitar too and smashed it around. 120 grit sandpaper, and it comes off like magic! it took me literally a minute to shave the whole neck. i still got the headstock to do. IT FEELS SO NICE NOW! oh my god. i think i like it better than my fender neck....it feels so satinish and soft. awsome.

so pics from today:

shaving with delta sander

more delta

Thats all for today. tune in in a few days, and i should have something more done

+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 +0+0+0+0+

Update 23.01

stripping the horns

shaving finished, excluding like 2 minor dents.

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

update 29.01

fisrt layer of laquer (with a brush)

Last edited by zwound : 02-26-2007 at 03:59 PM.
zwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
SEALSniper1152
UG's Emerging Lawyer

yea, you dont need to rout the body at all. but i would be careful filling the dents, use a wood filler or wood puddy and sand it well. What kind of paint will you be using?

Rate My Music!
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SEALSniper1152/
SEALSniper1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Pete Griffin
#1 Tremonti Fan!!!

Looking good, in fact i'm surprised how good it looks for a bullet, i look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Pete Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
zwound
Rainbow plateau

I'll be using aerosols...spraypaint that's designed for wood, and on top...automotive laquer
Old 12-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
styxie

I wouldn't paint the neck if I were you, because you won't find the surface of aerosol paint very comfortable. Just leave it as it is, if you really want you might consider painting the headstock, but leave the fretboard alone. And why not buy black knobs and black pickup covers? That would go better with the black pickguard.
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
styxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
zwound
Rainbow plateau

i love the contrast of purple black and white. since there's nothing else white, i like it as it is.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
WokCreations
Professional Ginga

Crap, I wonder if my Bullet's the same as yours then...
WokCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
False_God
ios 5 compatible

Dude, I have one question, Im thing of getting a Squire Bullet and customizing it too, I see yours has an open cavity, do they all??
False_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Generalpwnt
Righteous

Bullets are supposed to be made of agathis, not ply-wood. Unless I'm mistaken.
Generalpwnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
zwound
Rainbow plateau

Quote:
The Bullet features a slightly slimmer laminated body, a 21-fret maple Neck with a rosewood Fingerboard and chrome covered tuners. Three single-coil Pickups, a non-Tremolo hardtail Bridge and five-way switching make this a good choice for a first guitar, no matter who you are or what style of music you want to learn.

they are listed as 'laminat' aka as plywood

Last edited by zwound : 12-08-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
zwound
Rainbow plateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by False_God
Dude, I have one question, Im thing of getting a Squire Bullet and customizing it too, I see yours has an open cavity, do they all??

sorry for my noobness, but whats an open cavity?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
False_God
ios 5 compatible

^ see some of then are made to only hold Single coils, but yours is made to hold Humbuckers etc. Just wondering are they all like yours.

Also, its a laminated Hardwood!
False_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
zwound
Rainbow plateau

^ i think they all come like that, but thats just a thought. this is a 2005 model
Old 12-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
james4

i've been thinking about doing something similar to my sister's old bullet (paint job, bridge humbucker)
looks like it'll turn out pretty good, but i don't usually like purple guitars.
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
zwound
Rainbow plateau

^ yeah, it's all about taste. i think it would be really funky...and purple black and white combination is my favourtie one...plus i want this guitar to stand out from the regular strats.

i think the purple sunburst looks hot though
Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Ippon
Amped

That's the confusing thing about Squier Bullet Strats - I've seen a Japan one made of Alder and a Korean made of Ply.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #17
zwound
Rainbow plateau

the japanese ones were made in the 80s, and they were decent guitars. for all i know, they dont make them there anymore. mine is made in china though. they mostly make them in indonesia, or so ive heard, as i havent seen many chinese ones.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Ippon
Amped

Congrats on finding a guitar to mod finally! I've seen the threads where you were struggling to find the proper tonewood or a guitar body of any shape. I have a MIJ Squier Strat from 1982, based on the serial number, and it's easily one of my favorite Strats.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
guitarfan93
is guitarfan93

black/purple sunburst.thats pretty sexy
guitarfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
zwound
Rainbow plateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Congrats on finding a guitar to mod finally! I've seen the threads where you were struggling to find the proper tonewood or a guitar body of any shape. I have a MIJ Squier Strat from 1982, based on the serial number, and it's easily one of my favorite Strats.

thanks but i haven't given up yet on that wood. i can probably get ahold of a piece of wood in a week or two, but i don't care bout that since i'll be besy dressing this thing up.

Rate This Thread: