Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Axis Of Evil
Fire is your friend.

Iced Earth

I have yet to see a thread dedicated to Iced Earth, and I myself strongly believe they deserve one. What does UG think of Iced Earth?

I really think it sucked Barlow left. Tim's a great vocalist, but Matt was a male vocal God. Period.

The Iced Earth Thread
Axis Of Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
RatSkull

They write some pretty sweet stuff. The vocals are pretty interesting, I just wish they were a bit higher.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Nite27
Duke of Prunes

you know, I have no problem with Ripper's vocals, but I just wish he would stop joining other people's bands and just dedicate himself to a solo project...
Nite27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Renka
Zombie

Well, to be fair he has done that with Beyond Fear. And even though we all miss Barlow I am sure, he had kind of a mental break down after 9/11, and even though John convinced him to try and do the vocals for the Glorious Burden, he just didn't have the energy anymore. So it wasn't just a concious choice by Matthew, he just don't have it in him anymore.

Oh, and there was another "ONLY Iced Earth" thread around a while ago, but perhaps writing in that one would be considered necromancy, I dunno.
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
gnr_fan_17
Only Filipino metalhead

Yeah, there used to be an Iced Earth thread 'round here, but I guess it grew old and stale and died.

Personally, I don't find Owens' voice to my liking. I've heard a few songs with him on it but I'm too accustomed to Matt's amazing voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
gnr_fan_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Monkey_Bassist
Gives Away Free-Electrons

Yeah, I tried to keep the other thread alive ... but it didn't last long (too many ONLY threads on the first page I guess ).

Anyway this time lets try to discuss something other than just "Matt Barlow is a better singer than Tim Owens" etc (Even though its true, I think Matt Barlow is in the top few best singers in any genre).

On the subject I think Tim Owens was a good score on Iced Earth's behalf, even though his vocal style is fairly varied compared to previous singers, I believe this will turn out to be a good tool for the band to use.

What I'm getting at is that the contrast between Tim's voice and Jon's voice (he actually does a surprising amount of backing vocals) will help in telling the story of the new albums and add to the bands EPIC-NESS !!!! . Also I'll just mention that those who haven't sat and really listened to the Gettysburg trilogy on the latest album (The Glorious Burden), do it, you'll gain most respect for Tim Owen's vocals and see his potential with the band.

*For those that don't know Iced Earth is currently working on writing two conceptual albums which are going to (at least planned to be) released withing a few months of each other (a sort of part 1 & 2 pair of albums, mainly revolving around the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" storyline).
Monkey_Bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Axis Of Evil
Fire is your friend.

I looked for one before I started this one. I just didn't have the patience to sit and go through all the search results.

I do believe that Barlow was a great vocalist. However, Tim brings something new and different to the table. That's good. He did extremely well on The Glorious Burden. I look forward to hearing what he can do with the next album.

As for the next album, it'll be good to hear how they go off the Something Wicked story. It's got a good base to it. So the next two CD's should rock big time.

What's everyone's five favorite songs? Just curious.

1.) Gettysburg
2.) Damien
3.) Blessed Are You
4.) Watching Over Me
5.) Dante's Inferno

Those go in no particular order. It's too hard to put them in an order.

The Iced Earth Thread
Old 12-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
pigger
Devin Townsend > You

Iced Earth are perhaps one of my favourite band at the moment, i definetley prefer Matt Barlow to Tim Owens.
pigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Metallicat251
Banned

1) burnt offerings
2) A question of heaven
3) birth of the wicked
4) dragons child
5) pure evil

Idk..... I really dont like ripper at all. It might not have been so bad if they didnt go from having one of the greatest metal singers ever to a crappy immitation of halford. Still does a better job than their first vocalist though i guess
Metallicat251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Paroxysm

I don't mind Owens. He just need to stick to The Glorious Burden stuff and don't rape the songs that Barlow sang in

Don't they have a DVD planned?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

the new lead guitarist Tim Mills is the owner of the Bare Knuckle Pickups
the pickups he makes own so I can't wait for the new album to come out to hear some of his solo work

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyardís mouldering stones I recognise a name Ė my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Renka
Zombie

Well, it should be noted that just the name Ripper will direct the spotlights of the media towards the band, and that is good in itself, not concidering his voice. It should be said though that I think Ripper is an awesome singer, it's just that he excells in the really high notes and Barlow in the lower ones (of course, Barlow could stretch his voice across the whole register, but most of the time he would sing in a dark note). This leads to a change in the dynamic of the music (as can be seen on the Glorious Burden), and that's not something I am exactly crazy about.

But then, the whole concept of the Glorious Burden was rather different from their earlier albums, which could also have contributed in the change.
Regardless, it will be very exciting to see what they are up to with their next album.
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Andrew Zara
Banned

I like Iced Earth. Something Wicked This Way Comes is their best. Watching Over Me, Angel's Holocaust, and Dark Saga are their best songs.
Andrew Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
pigger
Devin Townsend > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm
I don't mind Owens. He just need to stick to The Glorious Burden stuff and don't rape the songs that Barlow sang in

Don't they have a DVD planned?

Live in Athens with Matt Barlow singing has been released recentley ^^.
pigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
ibaRGnez321
Guitarded.

Monkey Bassist is a master when it comes to Iced Earth.

I love Iced Earth, such a great band. Their stuff is awesome.

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120
<//////>~
ibaRGnez321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
AtrumArx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Bassist

What I'm getting at is that the contrast between Tim's voice and Jon's voice (he actually does a surprising amount of backing vocals) will help in telling the story of the new albums and add to the bands EPIC-NESS !!!!

Hell yeah dude, Jon makes the songs so much more powerful with his backing vocals. An example is "Travel In Stygian" and another is "Desert Rain" well actually in that song Jon sings alot by himself.

I personally loved John Greely's voice. Too bad he was racist and had to get out of the band. Barlow was amazing as well.

I am still amazed at how Jon Schaffer writes those sick rythm based riffs. He is just an amazing composer.

Last edited by AtrumArx : 12-10-2006 at 02:25 PM.
AtrumArx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
SGRocker0791
Banned

Hells yeah for the monthly Iced Earth thread! Awesome band, but only know a few songs.
SGRocker0791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigger
Live in Athens with Matt Barlow singing has been released recentley ^^.

Oh goody

Another added to the list of DVD's to get.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
Axis Of Evil
Fire is your friend.

But I believe Jon also said they'd be releasing another live DVD next year too.

Jon's a great rythm guitarist. A great guitarist period. He writes some pretty bad-ass rythm riffs. Just listen to something like The Reckoning. Not the most complex riff, but fast as hell (in my opinion). He's good with writing those faster riffs.

Just another note, I really wanna hear some of Iced Earth's songs with an orchestra backing them. That would be sweet.

The Iced Earth Thread
Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #20
Aussie Ghost
Little Yellow Kill Joy

First let me get the usual stuff out of the way: Pure Evil and Angel Holocaust are bloody awesome! Done, now to the questions

What genre are Iced Earth Considered to be in? Progressive metal perhaps?

Also, does anybody else see the substantial similarities they have with Iron Maiden? Both bands sing about similar sort of concepts and the guitar work for both bands is very similar in the way it uses its effects and distortion to create sound. On that note, (without meaning to offend die hard Iced Earth Fans) Their cover of Hallowed be thy Name was probably the worst ive ever heard.

EDIT: Also to the UGer above me, Days of Purgatory is the CD you want i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Aussie Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: