Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #21
Monkey_Bassist
Gives Away Free-Electrons

Ok then let me keep this rolling, Paroxysm there was a DVD released recently but without the full consent and best wishes (so to speak) from the band. The whole story can be seen here;
http://www.icedearth.com/wwwbb_msg.php?m=25, but on the same topic Jon Schaffer has announced that the tour that will follow the new album(s) will have a full stage DVD recording set-up (a ton of camera crews, rigging, sound recording equipment etc), which is excellent news.

AtrumArx, that is true, Jon actually sings the whole Stormrider (main bit) in live recordings and I think doubles the album version (he has a very similar style of singing to Matt Barlow, just he isn't as confident and likes sticking to guitar .... unless he is using his "Britney Mic" headset ). And I just got the Dark Genesis box set (which contains the recently re-mixed/mastered first three albums) and John Greeley does a pretty good job on Night of the Stormrider on most bits.

Aussie Ghost the band is actually a cross over genre of Power Metal and Thrash Metal, which puts them in Progressive territory (similarly to why Opeth is Progressive), which brings me to your other question about Iron Maiden.....

To put is simply Jon Schaffer (and the original Iced Earth - who were Purgatory originally) didn't play cover songs/learn to play by playing other peoples songs, thus Jon Schaffer's guitar style is unique to him.

But they were influenced heavily (sound wise, not so much playing style) on the bands they enjoyed listening to, namely Iron Maiden (and to a lesser extent Judas Priest), this coupled with their obvious Power Metal styling (which if you weren't aware was started/pre-dated by Iron Maiden) which is where the strong similarities come from. And I have to disagree with their covers, I thought they were all pretty well done (better than some bands covers), as I have the "Tribute to the Gods" and I believe having the CD gives you a better sample of the quality of the songs.

Last edited by Monkey_Bassist : 12-11-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Monkey_Bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #22
Aussie Ghost
Little Yellow Kill Joy

^I should point out that i dont actually own any Iced Earth CD's and i really don;t know that much about them apart from wikipedia and the 10-15 songs i have on my comp.

Im not saying they were bad covers per say, I just don't really see the point in making covers that don't really change much of what the original band wrote. If your going to cover a song you should either masacre it or make it better, not just keep with the exact same formula that made it famous in the first place (For many bands i would consider this fishing for popularity, Not really with Iced Earth, with Hip hop artists and the like).

You answered my question about genre perfectly....too perfectly in fact. By the way you wrote it seams like you believe (as i do) that Iron Maiden have been a progressive band for (at least) the past few CDs. Its just ive got into a few debates in the Pit over their genre and a debate in the Iron Maiden Only thread as well, the dude in their admitted that they have links to progressive but are a metal band in essence. Anyway, i would like to know your stance on that if thats cool?

Anyway back to Iced Earth and another band id like to compare them with in a way. Have you heard of a band called Blind Guardian? These guys also share a lot of similarities to Iced Earth. Btw, im not talking about voice with these guys, im talking about style of music and guitar work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE

Last edited by Aussie Ghost : 12-11-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Aussie Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #23
Monkey_Bassist

Thats ok I was just trying to clear that up for you. Your last question first, the funny thing is yet again there is a little bit of info you might not know about, the front man for Blind Guardian (Hansi something ....) is best mates with the front man/main song writer for Iced Earth (Jon Schaffer) and they actually have a side project together called Demons & Wizards (combining the key aspects of both bands).

Ok Iron Maiden thing, I believe, as someone said in the Iron Maiden thread, they are moderately Progressive Metal, but I would like to tack on a Pre-Power Metal suffix on there. Just as Black Sabbath is to Doom (and similar) Metal, and Death is to Death Metal, Iron Maiden is the same to Power Metal. i.e. It features aspects that make up the current incarnations of the sub genre, but the "second generation" bands of this particular sub-Metal genre have evolved it into its current form. *I can explain this further if you want

Ohh and my five favorite songs would be ..... (hard to name 5)

*Desert Rain (a bit all over the place, but excellent overall - I learn't to play the whole thing on Bass, Dave Abell was a great bass player ..... I feel bad for him ).
*Watching Over Me (it gives me chills every time I hear it, such a cool Metal song, but at the same time it tells a very sad story with alot of emotion that comes through).
*Brainwashed (very aggressive Metal-edged song, with a strong message to all the blind followers of faith and poser music etc)
*The Funeral (great riffs, epic-ness without the usual cliche stuff that makes up a epic song, great atmosphere)
*Angels Holocaust/Stormrider -sort of one song if you count the original recording (EPIC !!!!111!!!, hard hitting, great riffs, aggressive but with alot of nice acoustic parts).
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #24
Renka
Zombie

I really wouldn't call Iced Earth power metal, but then, my sense of the word is kinda warped. To me, typical power metal bands are Dragonforce and Hammerfall, and I can't see any similarities between those bands and Iced Earth. I think a lot of people just look at their lyrics and go "oh, is this about some fantasy crap? Gotta be power metal then", which I don't think is very fair. It's exactly like that guy calling Devil Driver devil metal, the name of the band does not dictate their genre!

On another note, I totally agree with the trash lable, some of their riffs are just ridiciously fast. I tried playing Violate the other day and that song owned me.
Not all of their stuff is fast and trashy though, which is why I have a hard time trying to tie the band down to just one label like that. In the end, I would say that Iced Earth is a trash/heavy metal band, or just a heavy metal band. I do think that is the most fair way to see it.

Please note, I am not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just stating my mind in a friendly manner, although I know it's not very obvious when typed online.
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #25
Monkey_Bassist

Thats alright man, I see where your coming from.

The Power Metal part of the band is from their tie to Iron Maiden and the majority of the songs having aspects of the Power Metal style in them. e.g. Double Bass Drumming purely to build speed and epic-ness, only having to main speeds (joke lol) - Metal and Ballad, particular use of acoustic interludes and melodic guitar parts, vocals (sort of), and themes (fantasy, sci-fi etc). But all these are equaled or over shadowed by the pure Heavy Metal / Thrash Metal styling, so .... yeah, you get the point.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #26
IgnoreThis
6anned

One of my favourite bands. Something Wicked This Way Comes = gangsta.

I'd call them a thrash band over a power metal band, i think their music is more based around thrash/heavy metal, with some of the melodramatic touches that you get in power metal. Some of their lyrics might constitute power metal too, but that doesnt make them a power metal band per se. I guess Tim Owens vocals have more of a power metal tone than Barlow (whos up there with Dickinson IMO).

Still, I consider real power metal to be the proper melodramatic sounding stuff like Stratovarius and Rhapsody, wheras Iced Earth dont sound anything like them. IE are thrash/heavy metal to me, just more melodic than your average thrash band.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #27
AtrumArx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Ghost
First let me get the usual stuff out of the way: Pure Evil and Angel Holocaust are bloody awesome! Done, now to the questions

What genre are Iced Earth Considered to be in? Progressive metal perhaps?

Also, does anybody else see the substantial similarities they have with Iron Maiden? Both bands sing about similar sort of concepts and the guitar work for both bands is very similar in the way it uses its effects and distortion to create sound. On that note, (without meaning to offend die hard Iced Earth Fans) Their cover of Hallowed be thy Name was probably the worst ive ever heard.

EDIT: Also to the UGer above me, Days of Purgatory is the CD you want i think.

I actually thought that the Hallowed Be Thy Name cover was better than the original!
AtrumArx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #28
ibaRGnez321
Guitarded.

^I loved that cover. I thought it was great.

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120
<//////>~
ibaRGnez321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #29
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Bassist
Ok then let me keep this rolling, Paroxysm there was a DVD released recently but without the full consent and best wishes (so to speak) from the band. The whole story can be seen here;
http://www.icedearth.com/wwwbb_msg.php?m=25, but on the same topic Jon Schaffer has announced that the tour that will follow the new album(s) will have a full stage DVD recording set-up (a ton of camera crews, rigging, sound recording equipment etc), which is excellent news.

Oh cool. I really want to hear Barlow over Owens though, but let's see
Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #30
Axis Of Evil
Fire is your friend.

Days of Purgatory was more just remastering everything. Recording it over again to make the sound quality top notch. I found that out when I started listening to IE. The first time I hear Angels Holocaust, it was the remastered cut off DIP, with Barlow singing. I found out later Greeley (if that's his name) was the singer of that song originally. What I meant was I wanna see Iced Earth play a show with a full blown symphony. Like Metallica and Dream Theater did. Like S&M and Score. I think that hearing Dante's Inferno or the Something Wicked trilogy with a full symphony backing would just be awestriking.

The Iced Earth Thread
Axis Of Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #31
liesofautumn
I'm a bad mother****er

Ive only heard Wolf, Dracula, Ghost of Freedom and Damien, but Damien IMO pretty much slays the other three. I love at the end of the verses he sustains that high note, and the chorus is so ****ing epic, and I like the whispered "Nazarene" interlude. Hell, the whole song is a masterpiece.
Member #2 of the "Eggnog > Humanity" club
^^Pm Scourge441 to join

PM MackDaddy or RhinosaurBones to join the Mortal Kombat Klub. That's right, Klub with a K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
wow, is that backgammon? Now that's what I call fore play...
liesofautumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #32
Monkey_Bassist

Your right there liesofautumn, that album is great, all the songs fit theme very well and the mandolin riffs in Damien kick arse.

Axis Of Evil, Days of Purgatory was the first album from them I got too, and I found out later what songs where from what albums etc. I recently got the original three but remastered instead of re-recorded and the funny bit is the remastered originals are better quality than the Days of Purgatory re-recording (for the most part) but the mixes are different.

IgnoreThis, I wasn't really trying to voice my stance on what sub-genre Iced Earth come under, I was just trying to give some idea of where them come under technically wise (well as technical as classifying goes), because I personally would say Progressive Thrash is the best way to describe the band overall. (But that doesn't mean I would invent a sub-genre like those "Pirate Metal" bands etc )
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #33
Aussie Ghost
Little Yellow Kill Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrumArx
I actually thought that the Hallowed Be Thy Name cover was better than the original!

NO FKN WAY!!! C'mon, it was almost exactly the same as the original. I mean, by the time id heard that cover i had heard the original so many times that in order for me to be impressed it had to give it a whole new light. Hense why i liked the COF version, it added a new aspect to the song. Iced Earth just sung and played the song like they had tabs in front of them, What is the point in that? (Also i think the fucked up the solo in it, but that is debatable as well i suppose)

To Monkey_Bassist, You should run for frigin prime minister. U have the democratic skills to give perfect answers to questions without making people angry with you, and you are very accepting of others opinions. You could teach the guys in the Pit a lesson or 2 at the very least. Anyway...

Do you ever get the feeling that all of this sub-genre stuff is totally useless other than to cause argument. I mean what is the point in calling Iced Earth a...what was it...Heavy/Thrash Power metal band with influences towars Progressive metal? I dont even know what i just said! I swear one day we will have a sub genre for every single band.

Quote:
Thats ok I was just trying to clear that up for you. Your last question first, the funny thing is yet again there is a little bit of info you might not know about, the front man for Blind Guardian (Hansi something ....) is best mates with the front man/main song writer for Iced Earth (Jon Schaffer) and they actually have a side project together called Demons & Wizards (combining the key aspects of both bands).

I find that rather hillarious actually. On one hand im extroadinarily embarrased, on the other hand im proud that i picked up on the similarities of the bands without knowing they have connections with each other. Are Demons and Wizard any good? Please tell me they use either primarily the Iced Earth Singer or at the very most a combination of the 2 singers.

EDIT: I knew there had to be a thread on Iced Earth already

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=446780

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE

Last edited by Aussie Ghost : 12-12-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Aussie Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #34
IgnoreThis
6anned

Quote:
(But that doesn't mean I would invent a sub-genre like those "Pirate Metal" bands etc )

Awwww, pirate metal owns

Demons And Wizards are pretty damn good. Theyre more of a traditional power metal band, but still have the heaviness of IE. They sound pretty much like what you would expect of them - Schaffer style riffs with Hansi's vocals, but with something of their own added to that formula.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #35
Conqueror
Pensive

Demons & Wizards do kick ass, you should check them out if you haven't already.

And about their new tour, I think it will be weird to have Tim singing older Iced Earth songs. His vocals are very good on TGB but I dont think he will be able to do the older songs justice. The next live Iced Earth album probably will not be as good as Alive in Athens.
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #36
Dean ML Tribute
Yngwie Sheep #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm
Oh goody

Another added to the list of DVD's to get.

I am not sure if it is on DVD, I have the 5 lp picture disc set (all killer artwork) and has an autographed huge poster included. If you are not familiar w/ Iced Earth, that is the set to get... that is if you want to fork over $200+ since it's been sold out for a long time
Dean ML Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #37
vashts80

Quote:
Your right there liesofautumn, that album is great, all the songs fit theme very well and the mandolin riffs in Damien kick arse.

What are the "mandolin" riffs? The only bits I can think of are the intro and the Nazarene interlude, which are both played by Steve D on bass.
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
vashts80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #38
Renka
Zombie

While on the matters of DVD's, I guess I could put in a good word for Alive in Athens. I know John totally shot it down on the band's website, but I've got to admit I found it pretty good. Sure, there camera angels are pretty lacking, and there are some songs on the album that are missing on the DVD along with very few extras and no options to show the lyrics on the screen, but still, it's Iced Earth you know, and that's always awesome!
The sound's good, the arena is pretty cool and it's nice to be able to see the crowd and how packed the place is.
All in all, I am very happy with the purchase (although I wish there would have been a DVD containing the Horror Show album as well as ther earlier ones).
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #39
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

i think theyre good. not amazing, but i like them.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #40
Nite27
Duke of Prunes

although I love Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, I actually like Demons & Wizards more than eiether of them.. the combination of John's riffs and Hansi's vocals is just mindblowing...
Nite27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: