Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #41
AtrumArx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Ghost
NO FKN WAY!!! C'mon, it was almost exactly the same as the original. I mean, by the time id heard that cover i had heard the original so many times that in order for me to be impressed it had to give it a whole new light. Hense why i liked the COF version, it added a new aspect to the song. Iced Earth just sung and played the song like they had tabs in front of them, What is the point in that? (Also i think the fucked up the solo in it, but that is debatable as well i suppose)

I love their version of the song. Period. They own Iron Maiden at their own song.
AtrumArx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #42
Aussie Ghost
Little Yellow Kill Joy

^Clearly you are either deaf or just an idiot.

The song is supposed to be dark, and meaningful. The intro just totally fucks that up. The way he sings it is so sub-par to Iron Maiden. His voice is all over the shop and he just isn't convicing that he is feeling the song while he sings it. The rhythem guitar work is half arsed and it sounds like they have bought an Iron Maiden tab book and just tried to copy what was on the page! The drum set sounds like some dude smashing away on trashcans and the solo is effectively what i would expect from some garage cover band who can't play the actual solo so settle for something close enough.

Tell me what part of that song you think is better than Maidens version and your reasons behind it? Im really interested to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Aussie Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #43
Monkey_Bassist
Gives Away Free-Electrons

I personally think it was just a good tribute song, not trying to out do the original (which with Iron Maiden, isn't possible). And Aussie Ghost be aware that it was recorded in Jon Schaffer's basement and it was just a fun thing the band was doing which turned into a bonus album, oh it isn't exactly a easy song to top/give the same feeling, imho.
Monkey_Bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #44
stygian87
skunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite27
you know, I have no problem with Ripper's vocals, but I just wish he would stop joining other people's bands and just dedicate himself to a solo project...

yeah its just that what i hate about him, although his vocals werent that good at the gigs they did on festivals a few years ago when i saw them twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplaya27
god so all those weird noises on those songs were bass...

jesus christ i like them
stygian87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #45
Seth Shadows
G|-18b19-~~[18]pb19~~~\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite27
although I love Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, I actually like Demons & Wizards more than eiether of them.. the combination of John's riffs and Hansi's vocals is just mindblowing...

I second that. Demons and Wizards' "Wicked Witch" and "My Last Sunrise" Were my 2 Favorites
A7X: 0
Seth Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #46
AtrumArx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Ghost
^Clearly you are either deaf or just an idiot.

Tell me what part of that song you think is better than Maidens version and your reasons behind it? Im really interested to hear this

I'm neither, I just have a differing opinion than yours. As I said, I liked the cover more...the ENTIRE cover, not just one part.

So you can shut up and stop telling me what's right and wrong. It's my opinion. Leave it at that.
AtrumArx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #47
Witch-king
Dio

Kick ass band. Schaffer is definatly my favourite rhythm guitarist of all time.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #48
Monkey_Bassist

Ok so lets move on then, anyone have any mates that are into Iced Earth? do any of you jam to their songs etc.

I really wish more of my mates were into them (I got them to listen to them, but not to learn any songs ) so we could play together, I have once or twice (I'm a bassist and all mates are guitarists/drummers) and it was pretty fun.

After reading some of youse guys feed back I'm thinking about getting that (un)-official "Alive in Athens" DVD .... speaking of that does any one have that Gettysburg DVD?.

Anyway, yet again I'll say I have very high hopes for the new album(s), I've got a really strong feeling that Jon will bring out the most out of Tim Owens and all the members he has (I mean at least he has Brent Smedley, who has been in the band for a bit - he did the first "Something Wicked.." and Dark Saga albums) including the guitarist from England, who knows, he might equip them all with some new pickups .
Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #49
Renka
Zombie

On the matter of playing their songs, I am currently trying to learn all the songs of their Dark Saga album. As I am the only guitarist in the band, and the other two members just plays along with anything I choose we play a good amount of Iced Earth during rehearsals. Only their easier songs though, like the Dark Saga, Watching Over Me, Melancholy and A Question for Heaven.

On another note, are you guys able to play Violate at full speed? My band is called Violate, so I always thought it would be an awesome opener for us to play (you know the "Enter now... and Violate!" part), but I can't seem to nail it at that increadible speed! I play downstrokes only, and can manage some other trash songs like Creeping Death by Metallica, but this one totally kicks my ass!
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #50
Conqueror
Pensive

Our band just recently got a drummer and at our last practice we did the Hunter and kinda did Iced Earth. I'm trying to get them all to learn Pure Evil, cause i recently got that song down pretty good and am able to sing parts of it without screwing up, plus I love that song.

Renka:The chorus to Violate I think is kinda easy actually, the only part I ever really had trouble with was the verse.
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #51
Renka
Zombie

Yeah, I was talking about the verse too. The chorus I can manage, as well as the other parts, but Jesus Christ the verse is hard!
Renka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #52
KVX10 KING V
Metal saved my life

They are my fav band, I can play pretty much any of their songs (i don't want to hear cut ups, i don't care). They also released their Alive In Athens DVD this year (if this hasnt been mentioned yet) its ****ing sick, i love it. I hope this band never dies.

I don't understand why if maiden is so huge that very few have heard of Iced Earth. These two almost are parrallel in music style, considering that Schaffer had taken the triplet picking to a whole new level.

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD
-Marshall AVT series 4x12" extension cab.
-Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal

ICED EARTH
KVX10 KING V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #53
Monkey_Bassist

^Good to see another die hard fan of Iced Earth, and on that point does anyone know if Iced Earth have ever played/met up with Iron Maiden?? or if it has been mentioned in any magazine etc?

Renka one of my mates has started to really get into Iced Earth too (thanks to me ) but he is the only one of my mates who doesn't play an instrument (even though he used to play keyboard ... hmm maybe I should get him to start playing again, ala Burnt Offerings), and he always asks my guitar playing mates to learn The Funeral or Pure Evil.

I've started learning Pure Evil on Bass, that riff about 1/3rd of the way through is cool on Bass (it has the harmonized guitar parts) and so is the one following that is heaps good too - it goes
Code:
G----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Eó1-0-1-0-----000-000-000-000-000-001-0-1-3-333-333-333-333-333-331-0-1-0-----------------------

very cool
Old 12-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #54
king-of-fools
moosic loving ginger!

iced earth are great! my friend is obsessed with them and is goin to see them at wacken >.< lucky bitch!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #55
the spiker
Wrathful and Sullen

You kids must understand that Jon Schaffer is da man!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #56
The Oceanborn
The Son Of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVX10 KING V
I don't understand why if maiden is so huge that very few have heard of Iced Earth. These two almost are parrallel in music style, considering that Schaffer had taken the triplet picking to a whole new level.

Easy. Maiden has:
- been around for a decade longer than Iced Earth
- created their very own image, with all the horror stuff and Eddie and such
- a record label with really aggressive marketing

I think I'm gonna look for my copy of Night of the Stormrider now. Haven't listened to Iced Earth in a long time.
The Oceanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #57
KVX10 KING V
Metal saved my life

tr00, still it would be sick if they did something together.

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD
-Marshall AVT series 4x12" extension cab.
-Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal

ICED EARTH
KVX10 KING V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #58
Monkey_Bassist

^The Oceanborn definately give it a listen, excellent album from start to finish - note worthy mentions include Pure Evil, which John Greeley did a very good job, Desert Rain, very varied and -able, and of course Travel in Stygian - although long it is very atmospheric (especially the re-issue - being remastered and all, Morrisound must be an excellent studio).

KVX10 KING V, I think they should do some sort of tour/collaboration or something of that type, especially considering the contrasts/similarities the bands have (Maiden being more melodic and Iced Earth being more thrash-y etc).

I've got a good feeling about the new lead guitarist (Tim Mills) as well, mainly from what Jon Schaffer said;

"As for his playing, it's awesome, very melodic, very tasty and he has great original ideas and songwriting abilities as well.

He's here now and we're really inspiring each other and coming up with some great parts together. It's been a very long time since

I've felt this kind of chemistry and I'm very psyched about it. It's an ingredient that's been missing for a very long time, so it should bring some very cool results."

Because with a lot of the recent Lead players that have worked with Iced Earth, they didn't really add to the band very much, well at least since Randall Shawver was in the band.

Last edited by Monkey_Bassist : 12-19-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #59
The Oceanborn
The Son Of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Bassist
^The Oceanborn definately give it a listen, excellent album from start to finish - note worthy mentions include Pure Evil, which John Greeley did a very good job, Desert Rain, very varied and -able, and of course Travel in Stygian - although long it is very atmospheric (especially the re-issue - being remastered and all, Morrisound must be an excellent studio).

hehe thanks man, but you have misunderstood me: I was going to look for the CD in my messy room, I have had that album for quite a long time and I was listening to it AGAIN.

The Oceanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #60
Monkey_Bassist

^Lol I got that I was just thinking out aloud, sort of thing.

Rate This Thread: