Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #81
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

i can get close to his tone, but can anyone help pin-point this tone besides Custom Strats and *Beautiful* Two-Rock Amps... http://video.msn.com under John Mayer on his 'Belief' performance. i have a strat with TX Specials and a Classic 30 as well as a Boss OD-9

UG 83 : Leading the way for Mayer fans worldwide.
TUMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #82
Quoteman
The New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll251
Blues guys are notorious for having huge egos. Lightnin' Hopkins remark to Billy Gibbons is an example of this; "Lightnin' change when Lightnin' want to." Apart from that Extra! interview where he said he's the only pop musician that can make the transition to blues and not lose fans, which I think is true, I haven't heard anything of the "I'm the shit" variety come out of his mouth. If he has though, please enlighten me.

He was in the studio with B.B. King, he and B.B. King were having a small debate and John Says "No, You listen to me " But that's just hearsay from an avid John Mayer fan of mine.

That aside, he's an amazing songwriter, musician, and has some killer tone to boot. Long live John Mayer. He may not be very innovative, but neither is Eric Clapton (Oh I know I'm gonna regret saying that)

As for bluesy musicians being arrogant, B.B. King and SRV never seem/seemed very arrogant to my knowledge. It's really just guitarists in general that tend to be arrogant
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #83
Quoteman
The New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMFP
i can get close to his tone, but can anyone help pin-point this tone besides Custom Strats and *Beautiful* Two-Rock Amps... http://video.msn.com under John Mayer on his 'Belief' performance. i have a strat with TX Specials and a Classic 30 as well as a Boss OD-9

I can tell you he uses a BYOC tremelo that he says has been slightly modded. I was watching a video and it really was too blurry to tell. But I'm near certain he has a Boss DD-something (not DD-20) and a Tubescreamer based pedal (Maxon Tubescreamer or a TS-808) But his amps really are his biggest source of tone/
Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #84
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

unfortunately i knew that was coming...its all in the amps, i do want to look into a TubeScreamer though.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #85
TylerRRR
a player of the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMFP

I heard he uses really weak pickups, so the TX Specials arn't going to help you with that :P
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
TylerRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #86
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRRR
I heard he uses really weak pickups, so the TX Specials arn't going to help you with that :P

He used a sig SRV strat (loaded with Texas Specials) with a tortise pickguard in his earlier days (Before his sig) like at Crossroads and Any Given Tuesday dvd.
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
The Master Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #87
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoteman
He was in the studio with B.B. King, he and B.B. King were having a small debate and John Says "No, You listen to me " But that's just hearsay from an avid John Mayer fan of mine.

That aside, he's an amazing songwriter, musician, and has some killer tone to boot. Long live John Mayer. He may not be very innovative, but neither is Eric Clapton (Oh I know I'm gonna regret saying that)

As for bluesy musicians being arrogant, B.B. King and SRV never seem/seemed very arrogant to my knowledge. It's really just guitarists in general that tend to be arrogant

Can I have a link from where you got that from?
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #88
TylerRRR
a player of the blues

If john mayer put down BB King in anyway, then he truely is a prick.

EDIT: Masterplan you're correct for his earlier tone (An SRV strat with a changed out pickguard) but in recent years and on his custom model he has very weak output pickups.
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
TylerRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #89
Quoteman
The New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Plan
Can I have a link from where you got that from?

Not an official slam on him yet, I just heard it from a close friend of mine that's obsessed with the guy (in a musical way)

P.S. And no, I'm not making up stuff to make him look bad, I really like him as said in previous post

Last edited by Quoteman : 01-03-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Quoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #90
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRRR
If john mayer put down BB King in anyway, then he truely is a prick.

EDIT: Masterplan you're correct for his earlier tone (An SRV strat with a changed out pickguard) but in recent years and on his custom model he has very weak output pickups.

Yea now he uses the low Output pups on his mayer strat but most of the time he uses his Hendrix strat.
Fender custom Shop 69's will get you close to that strat tone or Lindy Fralin Underwounds for his sig strat tone.
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Old 01-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #91
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

i hear nothing but good things about those Lindy Fralin's...i got TX Specials in a custom strat right now, which do surprisingly well for his tone, but on my next strat i wanna look into those L. Fralin's.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #92
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

^Pretty much the same situation for me. I have a set of Texas Specials in my guitar, but if i ever get another strat, i'm probably putting some Fralins in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #93
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

ya i love my Texas Specials but theres no such thing as too many guitars with too many tones...never enough tone

Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #94
jwn2112

i love him
listen to some johnny lang to

and enuff with nickelback sucks there awesome
jwn2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #95
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

have you guys gotten the Village Sessions yet? it is an awesome little Acoustic EP

Old 01-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #96
Roll251

Here's a cool little video of him sitting in with a band at a small club. They do a cool little jam at the beginning and then go into The Band of Gypsys "Who Knows".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfHlxPShk4&NR
Roll251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #97
Falcatarius

I feel the need to defend John's character here somewhat. I do think that his ego has grown a fair amount but I also believe he's one of the more humble guitar icons out there right now.

Previously he was extremely soft-spoken and would rarely give out interviews, especially on TV. However, now that his fame has reached large proportions and he has a quarter of the young female population in America screaming for his hunk of man-meat it woudl be hard for him not be be changed just a bit. Frankly, I don't blame him for it.

So yea, he's gotten a bit cockier/confidant in just about everything, from his clothes to his playing. However, for the record I have NEVER seen or heard of him putting down another musician especially a guitarist and I challenge anyone to show me otherwise.

I think a lot of the talk about him being so cocky is because he's honestly a little weird. He's quite eccentric in what he does and how he thinks, if you've ever seen his myspace page or listened to some of his little "speeches" in concert you can tell that he's not quite thinking on the same plane as the rest of us.

O, and FYI. I respect his playing and I dig a few of his songs. But I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of his. I just dislike it when people spread bad stuff about someone who dosn't necessarily deserve or need it. Plus i find his bizarreness somewhat endearing (i relate to it a bit).

Cheers!
-Falcatarius
Falcatarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #98
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

you guys also gotta see what he's doing to help other bands get signed....his myspace page....www.myspace.com/johnmayer he is using his fourth song slot on his player to promote an unsigned band on myspace called Kunek. Can you imagine the publicity recieved from your music being on JM's page?!?! Talk about loving the music.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #99
oreopride

I wrote in that "best blues player" topic about my thoughts on John Mayer.

For all the non believers, I figured I'd upload a live, acoustic version of "Who Did You Think I Was."

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jk330f

Yea, the guy can play.

Godin LG P90 (Electric), Taylor 512 CE Short Scale and Takamine Jasmine (Acoustics), Cordoba CWE-S (Classical), Guitar Hero Controller (Awesome)
oreopride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #100
TUMFP
Poetry to Prose...

when i get home...i gotta check that i havent heard the acoustic Who Did You Think I Was

Rate This Thread: