Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
tiny0514

Bla-bla-bla !!! spear gladius sp !!!

i came across this guitar in this months total guitar magazine and i have fell in love whith it and i think it is a good price too you can get theam for £250 .do you think this guitar is nice and do you think it is worth the money?

http://www.spearguitar.com/product/.../gladius_sp.asp
tiny0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik

Never heard of it and to be honest it seems a bit dodgy to me... Make sure you try it out thoroughly before you buy it, and if you don't have the means of trying ... I wouldn't buy it, personally.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
ar73m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
tiny0514

thare a new comany and thay got a amazing review from totall guitar
tiny0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0514
thare a new comany and thay got a amazing review from totall guitar

Yeah well Total Guitar also says Avenged Sevenfold is the best metal band ever, sooo............

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
codybcool
UG Monkey

I wouldn't buy it solely on this reason:

Total Guitar is a shitty rag. Never believe anything you read in it, especially their reviews. I ****ing hate that magazine.

Basically, if you gave them enough money, they would review your anus and rate it 5 stars saying that it had insane playbility and the stock pickups screamed.
codybcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
Guitar_Dan_666
Dislikes above username

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybcool
I wouldn't buy it solely on this reason:

Total Guitar is a shitty rag. Never believe anything you read in it, especially their reviews. I ****ing hate that magazine.

Basically, if you gave them enough money, they would review your anus and rate it 5 stars saying that it had insane playbility and the stock pickups screamed.

im sorry but.......

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Guitar_Dan_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Telecastermark

I am the distributor for Spear in the UK and would just like to put in a few words.

Firstly the price of the Guitar is £349 and there was one shop that had listed the price wrong but that has since been corrected.

Yes the guitars did get a good review in Total Guitar because the are very good guitars and not because we have a big advertising budget with them. I know there are a lot of guitar snobs out there that unless the name on the headstock say F****R, G****N then a guitar must be crap. This is why it is hard to introduce anything new into the UK. Lots of people complain that there is limited choice between the flooded entry level market, which in some cases really is a case of you get what you pay for and the high end market.

When we had the guitars on show at music live they went down a storm and quite a few shops signed up as dealers there and then. So that is why the only thing about Spear is that you have to try one, only then can make a judgement about the playability, sound quality and value for money.

I am fortunate enough to have an extensive collection of guitars, and as I also distribute James Trussart and Don Grosh guitars I play guitars every day that cost thousands of pounds, but I will tell you that the Spear NFII is one of my personal favourites and it is fantastic example of the quality and attention to detail that Spear offer.

So if you would like to try one and your favourite local guitar store does not stock them then let us know and we will send one to the store for you to try without obligation.

If anyone has any other questions about just contact me

mark@blacki.eu
Telecastermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Hakanku
Tactician & Dreamweaver

Well.....I think we have all been told...

That link posted doesnt work, and im too lazy to search at work right now, but later on i'll have a look *nods*
Hakanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik

I'll certainly give them a try out as soon as possible if the guy will actually send one to Belfast, left him a email, I'll post a review on this whenever/if I get my hands on one of these guitars.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
zeroconsequence

Damn! I'll give spear props for one reason........they managed to rip-off mostly EVERY body style that is out there. Here are some examples.
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits...itar_kt200.html
Looks like:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=513103
This is obviously a les paul:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits...tar_krd150.html
and this is a strat:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits...tar_krf101.html
This looks exactly like the fernandes ravelle:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits..._ktomcat.htm l
I know there aren't many options left out there as far as new bodies, but damn they look almost identical. Oh well if they play well then i got no complaints.
zeroconsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
zeroconsequence

Hey mark..... Could you give us a link or some specs on these guitars. I understand french as well as I understand quantum physics.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
hoppalong45
clueless since 71'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroconsequence
Hey mark..... Could you give us a link or some specs on these guitars. I understand french as well as I understand quantum physics.

try this http://www.spearguitar.com/product/pro_1/info_5.asp
hoppalong45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
zeroconsequence

Linky doesn't work. Is that a for real website. Hope the guitars work better than the web address.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
ScottishAngus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastermark
I am the distributor for Spear in the UK and would just like to put in a few words.

Firstly the price of the Guitar is £349 and there was one shop that had listed the price wrong but that has since been corrected.

Yes the guitars did get a good review in Total Guitar because the are very good guitars and not because we have a big advertising budget with them. I know there are a lot of guitar snobs out there that unless the name on the headstock say F****R, G****N then a guitar must be crap. This is why it is hard to introduce anything new into the UK. Lots of people complain that there is limited choice between the flooded entry level market, which in some cases really is a case of you get what you pay for and the high end market.

When we had the guitars on show at music live they went down a storm and quite a few shops signed up as dealers there and then. So that is why the only thing about Spear is that you have to try one, only then can make a judgement about the playability, sound quality and value for money.

I am fortunate enough to have an extensive collection of guitars, and as I also distribute James Trussart and Don Grosh guitars I play guitars every day that cost thousands of pounds, but I will tell you that the Spear NFII is one of my personal favourites and it is fantastic example of the quality and attention to detail that Spear offer.

So if you would like to try one and your favourite local guitar store does not stock them then let us know and we will send one to the store for you to try without obligation.

If anyone has any other questions about just contact me

mark@blacki.eu

Props for coming onto the forum!
Total guitar reviews arent the best these days i prefer guitarist personally! As far as spear guitars go they seem like nice guitars for the money. One thing that would sway alot of buyers (superstrat wise) but would probably raise the price a bit would be to put high quality licensed tremolo units on by the likes of gotoh or schaller. As that is the only real downside i can see atm that could be a problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik

The links work fine, at least for me. I'm hoping for a chance to try the guitar out now; if they're really as good as the specs are, and properly assembled and set up, it'd be cool to see a new decent brand out there. And after getting to know Schechters, I have faith in Korea, so... we'll see.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
Telecastermark

Web address for Spear is

www.spearguitar.com or check the link through www.blacki.eu
Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #17
timi_hendrix
My heron!

their guitars look nice and seem to have decent specs, but the headstock design is so horribly pre-pubescant.

My Music
timi_hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
J.MitMetallica
Ex guitar forum slogger

The web address doesn't work for me either...
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
J.MitMetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
Telecastermark

We are looking at having the Heastocks changed for the UK market but as these are the initial models we would like to get some feedback.

One thing though is that are sure that the quality and playability will surpass your expectations.

With regards to someone comments regarding the designs it is hard to come come up with a totallu unique shape that feels good and balances well. That is why you have different takes on the LP, Strat and Tele. Spear try to come up with unique takes on these styles by using thru neck construction etc.

I would like to thank everyone so far for the fantastic support including those that have contacted us and asked for a trial at their music store and then bought the instrument.

If you are serious about trying/buying a spear then please contact us and we will make one available at a store of your choice.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
timi_hendrix
My heron!

Wait... £349 for that?

TBH I'd rather buy from an established brand like Ibanez. You could get an S470 for that....

My Music
timi_hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: