Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 AM   #81
Monkeygone2hvn

i know marc fords son... he lives by me and i've chilled at his apartment.
Monkeygone2hvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #82
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^yeah? Would you mind asking him what's on his father's pedalboard at the moment?

Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #83
SGstriker
Someone will die...

^
Is there a site that tells what gear Rich uses?

Seattle Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #84
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^as far as effects go, I don't think many people know. Rich uses a rack, and I haven't seen anything online documenting what kind of effects he could be using (there was a great page on the Crowes official messageboard that had interviews throughout the years giving some insight into Rich/Jeff Cease (maybe?)/Marc Ford/Audley Freed's gear, but their boards are no longer up (and for the moment, neither is their website for that matter).

That being said, the only thing I do know offhand is that Rich owns some Fulltone gear. He has a gallery on his website showing all his guitars (www.richrobinson.net, click on gear) and here's a page from his old website showing all of his guitars/basses/keyboards/amps:

http://www.richrobinson.net/gear.php

Rich seems to love those Harry Joice amps, and I can tell you from experience that he turns those fuckers up LOUD.

Marc Ford is always fun, cause from what I've read, it seems like his board changes on a show to show basis

EDIT: and by the way, you can listen (in a lower quality then the actual release) to Rich's solo album "Paper" on his website (seems like you can hear the full album). It shows where the driving force in the Black Crowes really is
EDIT 2: regarding Rich's solo album, Answers is one of my favorite songs ever.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #85
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Soooo, I go to the Black Crowes' website today, which had been down for a couple of weeks last year (strange saying that...) figuring it should be up sometime soon maybe with some news, and what do I find?

TOUR DATES.

First date, March 2nd, 2008 at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ. Now, this venue is 20 minutes from me, and as some of you that may know (if you know me well enough), I saw the Crowes there in '06 and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. So I guess I can say I'm absolutely fucking overjoyed at this news

Another plus, this little tour they've put together features the entire Warpaint album as a first set. Keep in mind that that show is on March 2nd, and the album is released on March 4th. PRE-RELEASE LIVE PERFORMANCEEEE!

Ah I'm so happy right now
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #86
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

Why is it that they never play anywhere close to me?

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Cptbeefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #87
SGstriker
Someone will die...

^ +1

EDIT:
Holy crap!! I nearly did something in my pants when I saw that stack of guitar cases. I wish I had that many.

Seattle Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #88
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Location: Over the Hills and Far Away, and across The Ocean, sitting In the Light in a cottage in the village of Bron-Yr-Aur, where I Ramble On with a Living, Loving, Heartbreaking Maid, praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy.
^
They played at a festival here a few months back, but unfortunately I had to miss that because the rest of the acts weren't worth the money it'd probably cost, I had a wedding to attend that day, and I was out of a job at that point

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin ****" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Page&HammettFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #89
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

Last year, they played in Atlantic City one day after I left the beach house I stay at. I was so disappointed.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #90
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

Location: Over the Hills and Far Away, and across The Ocean, sitting In the Light in a cottage in the village of Bron-Yr-Aur, where I Ramble On with a Living, Loving, Heartbreaking Maid, praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy.
I don't know the Black Crowes very well, musically, but I know that they're a jam band and from what I've seen and heard everyone is extremely talented, so I know it'd be worth seeing them.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin ****" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #91
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^It is absolutely worth seeing them. Considering these shows will be two sets, I'd bet that you'll definitely get your money's worth too. Usually when the Black Crowes play two sets, the shows last anywhere from 2 and a half to 3 hours (they do a lot of huge jams), and depending on the length of the new album, I'd say these shows should be somewhat around the same length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptbeefheart
Why is it that they never play anywhere close to me?
They'll add more dates
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #92
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

^
Come to think of it, I don't know why I thought they'd pass up New Orleans? Do the people there scare them that much?

They scare me too....

I'm sure it'd be worth seeing them. From what I've seen on Concert TV OnDemand, they play epic jams (some of which last for 10 minutes Who doesn't wanna hear that?).

Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #93
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^For example, just yesterday I listened to a show with a 9 minute Downtown Money Waster which segued into a 22 minute Thorn In My Pride. Best jam I've ever heard from them though was the My Morning Song from 2006-11-08. That song on that night was off the fucking charts. Maybe I'm a little biased cause I was there, but the buildup at the end was insane.

And you never know where they'll play next...last time they played the Starland Ballroom (the same 2006-11-08 show I just mentioned), somebody threw a bottle of beer at Chris Robinson (Robinson responded with this "Hey who fucking threw that?! Which asshole threw that?! Who did it? Yeah, fuck off outta here! Nice. Cheers, nice knowing you man. Cheers, beatiful. You're parents did a wonderful job raising you." ). When that happened, I remember thinking to myself "shit...there goes any future shows at this venue" but alas, they're kicking off the Warpaint tour there

EDIT: I'm assuming the show you saw on Concert TV On Demand is the Freak and Roll DVD. The first three songs (Halfway to Everywhere, Sting Me, No Speak No Slave), Space Captain, and the acoustic Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz and Cursed Diamond are all very good on that DVD.
EDIT 2: Wiser Time was a bit of a let down though...the acoustic rhythm guitar gave it too light of a feel.
EDIT 3: Man, I can talk about this band all day
EDIT 4: P&HF, they've played in New Orleans atleast once every year since 1990 (besides 93/94 and 96/97, and 2000)
Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #94
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

^
Here, I'll post so that you can go on some

I've actually got that Freak N' Roll CD, and the show was part of the DVD. The songs were Soul Singing and Hard to Handle (that they showed), and maybe there was another one once upon a time, but they probably removed it (bastards). I like it except for the fact that Robinson can't sing that stuff half as well as he does in the studio. But then again, it'd pretty hard to match all of those performances night after night and by the end of a tour he wouldn't be able to speak, much less sing

Edit: Well, he can't sing Hard to Handle as well as he did in the studio. I don't have anything to compare the rest of the songs to

Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #95
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^I wasn't impressed by the Soul Singing on there, I've heard better. Hard to Handle as well. With that song it just seems like, even though it might be their most commercially successful song, and it is a good song, it's not really them.

Robinson can be night and day with his vocals. I've heard shows where he's sounded terrific, and then there are others where he's awful.

EDIT: He never sings Hard to Handle even remotely the same live. After playing a song 676 times live, I don't blame him
EDIT: No Speak No Slave is a smokin' opening song.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #96
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

^
Well that's like an interview I read with Alex Lifeson recently. He says that he probably doesn't play some of the chord voicings to songs like Tom Sawrer the same way that he did on an album anymore, because he in truth doesn't go back and listen to the songs to figure exactly what in the hell he did, and on each tour you've keep the song interesting for yourself The gist of this, obviously, is that you've gotta keep things interesting from night to night or you'll go crazy

So how many of the shows have you listened to from the Page/Crowes tour? Did he change the melodies up a lot from night to night on that? I would only imagine so, just from wear and tear on one's voice from night to night and adapting to it.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #97
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^I only have one show from that tour, so I can't really say.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #98
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

^From the two shows I heard from that tour, I really didn't hear a whole lot of change in the melodies. However, its just two shows, so I can't really say either.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #99
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^I mean, granted, you're going to hear little variations, and a couple of added words here and there, but when they play Hard to Handle, Robinson doesn't come anywhere close to the recorded version at some times in the song
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #100
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!

^
Believe me, I know it The one thing that I've always hated about live versions of that song is just that he doesn't sing it half as good as he does in the studio. I've never heard a live version of that song that -- vocally -- I enjoyed. He always removes words and **** and at times the songs just sound empty because of it.

Rate This Thread: