Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1021
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More

Wow. Now there's an enticing rumor! I know of this guy named Marc Ford that could probably fill that role petty well. CRB has made me appreciate Adam more- I feel like he has a more distinct style now, and he seems to be more comfortable really letting loose. I hope that transfers to any future Crowes stuff.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1022
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

We can hope for MFF, but I'd have a hard time saying that there's even a slim chance of that happening. I'd personally like to see Paul Stacey again. I was just listening to that 2006-11-08 show I was at yesterday and he sounded great. It's worth noting that despite that show being at the end of the tour, he was more or less flying by the seat of his pants for that entire tour, with Marc having quit just a few days before it began. That's an even bigger feat when you take into account the variety of songs they played on that tour. Imagine what Paul could do if he had time to properly rehearse with the band.

I wouldn't be opposed to Audley either because he's probably the most talented guitarist the band has ever had (I'm talking pure guitar playing ability), but I think Paul had a little more restraint than Audley did. That could have just been a product of the time period too though.

About Adam, I agree with you. I've never really had too much of a problem with him as it is, he's a good musician but he just happens to be an absolute trainwreck on two of the most prominent piano songs in the catalog.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #1023
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More

I'm not holding out for MFF either, but I find some comfort in having another "so who's gonna play guitar for the Crowes??" conversation. Haha. Audley or Paul would both be fine by me- they could bring more of the big rock lead sound that Luther didn't always pull off. I've got to listen to that 2006-11-08 show again... I've been listening to a lot of stuff from earlier in '06 over the past few days.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #1024
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefallofman
I'm not holding out for MFF either, but I find some comfort in having another "so who's gonna play guitar for the Crowes??" conversation. Haha.
You and me both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefallofman
I've got to listen to that 2006-11-08 show again... I've been listening to a lot of stuff from earlier in '06 over the past few days.
Yeah, one of these days I have to grab the audience recordings for that fall tour. They played some really interesting things during those two months...CR and RR solo material, new covers, at least one new original that wasn't played over the summer, and the first and only Predictable just to name a few.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #1025
Zanary

I've never seen them live, but the footage I've seen is consistently inconsistent.

I've seen them do "Hard to Handle" where ex-Mr.-Jennifer-Hudson couldn't keep enough breath to sing more than 3 words at a time. Then, I see footage of them with Jimmy Page and they're great. I usually like 3 or more songs per album...but it never works out for me to see 'em live.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #1026
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanary
I've never seen them live, but the footage I've seen is consistently inconsistent.

I've seen them do "Hard to Handle" where ex-Mr.-Jennifer-Hudson couldn't keep enough breath to sing more than 3 words at a time. Then, I see footage of them with Jimmy Page and they're great. I usually like 3 or more songs per album...but it never works out for me to see 'em live.
'92-'97 (specifically '96-'97) and '05-'06 are where it's at. The Page tour was great too, but I think Jimmy was the weak link. Also, for what it's worth, Chris Robinson is usually pretty lazy with the Hard to Handle vocals so if you're gonna judge him at least pick a song he puts some effort into.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #1027
MAYNARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
'92-'97 (specifically '96-'97) and '05-'06 are where it's at. The Page tour was great too, but I think Jimmy was the weak link. Also, for what it's worth, Chris Robinson is usually pretty lazy with the Hard to Handle vocals so if you're gonna judge him at least pick a song he puts some effort into.

MAYNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1028
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

As much as I love him, the tapes don't lie.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1029
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt

^ I'll back you on that. The Crowes were tight and played with the energy and enthusiasm that you would expect, while Jimmy (and I am a Zep fan) was the sloppy cool that he's known to be.

As for "Hard to Handle", I've had my fill and it's clear that Chris has too. I'd much rather hear Otis Redding's original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Jazz Funeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #1030
MAYNARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
As much as I love him, the tapes don't lie.

The 2 pro recordings I have are pretty ****ing phenomenal. The Crowes are definitely tight as hell, but I don't think Page really drags it down at all. I'd give MVP honors to Gorman, but Page is definitely carrying his weight. He was obviously never known as a perfectionist but there are some blazing solos there and it's a helluva lot less clunky than a good portion of the Page/Plant stuff and the O2 reunion show.

If there's one thing I would change about any of it is some of CR's phrasing.
MAYNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #1031
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYNARD
He was obviously never known as a perfectionist but there are some blazing solos there and it's a helluva lot less clunky than a good portion of the Page/Plant stuff and the O2 reunion show.
See, I hear a lot of what he did on the Live at the Greek album as clunky. I mean, I know he was sloppy even with Zeppelin but there are missed notes or awkward phrases all over the place in a bunch of solos that just throw off any kind of flow. It's especially jarring when you have Audley Freed on the other side of the stage, who's about as fluid a player as there is.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #1032
Millercaster

I trust no one has heard anything about a Trigger Hippy album? I know Audley left the band, and I see that Jackie is playing a ton of shows, so I fear this has been back-burned
Millercaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #1033
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt

^ I was under the impression that they were already in the studio. So, maybe mastering and release details are still being hammered out.

It appears that they were indeed in the studio with Audley before he split. So who knows what's going on... Are they planning to rerecord everything with Kimbraugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Jazz Funeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #1034
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millercaster
I trust no one has heard anything about a Trigger Hippy album? I know Audley left the band, and I see that Jackie is playing a ton of shows, so I fear this has been back-burned
I asked Gorman about it during an online Q&A back in September:

Quote:
BrainDamage11 15 minutes ago
Does Trigger Hippy have any plans for an album release in the near future? Loved the Cave Hill Cemetery recording you put out earlier this year.

Steve Gorman @BrainDamage11 a minute ago
We're still working on it.....slow and steady wins the race, baby. When we get a plan together, it'll be posted in all the appropriate places online. Glad you dug the tune, thanks!
They clearly spent time in the studio with Audley as evidenced by the Cave Hill Cemetery recording. I would assume that the album is done and that they're just trying to get it mixed and mastered as well as set up a plan for releasing it. I also don't think Kimbraugh recorded anything with them and that the album will be Jackie and Audley on guitars. Actually, I don't even know if Kimbraugh is still playing with them. He wasn't with them at the Peach Festival back in August, which is the last show I remember them doing.

EDIT: So apparently a tour for 2013 is indeed in the works.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #1035
Millercaster

RR's facebook has links to the band getting back out there. Not as much an if, but a when and with who
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #1036
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

What? I see a bunch of promotion for his Europe tour that just ended but nothing TBC-related. Also, apparently Rich will be recording another solo album.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #1037
Millercaster

It was in the comments on his thank you status (I don't have FB at work, so I can't see if it's still there) here's the link:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hidden...return-in-2013/

though I'm down with it if they're still making solo records, the more the merrier

Last edited by Millercaster : 12-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #1038
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

IT'S OFFICIAL!

http://blackcrowes.com/

They're playing Terminal 5 in NYC which is a terrible venue, but obviously I'll be there for both shows. I'll probably do Philly as well and will probably try for Port Chester, NY. If I can't find a job in the next few months I might even go down to Washington D.C.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #1039
Millercaster

My brother in-law's wedding is that week of the Chicago/Nashville shows, so even a road trip is out of the question for me. Bummer
Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #1040
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More

Nothing I can make it to, but I'm stoked!

Rate This Thread: