Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
element22ag
yaayya yayaya aaaaya

Location: In the white room (with black curtains), at the Station.
Pickups: Bill Lawrence XL500 and ?

I've been shopping around for pickups to get a better Death Metal/ Thrash Metal sound out of my Jackson Dinky. So far I think I really want to go with a Bill Lawrence XL-500, but I'm not sure what else to use. I've heard mixed reviews of where the XL should be placed (as in Neck or Bridge), so I'm also not sure about where to put it. In addition, I've heard that the XL isn't that great for clean tone...which I do use for my non-metal needs. Any help is greatly appreciated
element22ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
Mudder
Sled dog extraordinaire

The XL500 comes in 4 different outputs, c, r, L, and XL. I'd go with 500-c neck and 500-XL bridge. If you wanted to mix brands the Dimarzio Air Norton is a good neck pickup as well as Dimarzios Vpaf. Duncans' '59 isn't a bad choice either.

Personally I like a lower output neck pickup so it will sound thick but not muddy, I like to hear each string and neck pickups with high outputs can muddle the tone.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Scothiam

Up until very recently, I had installed in my Ibanez RG-570 a BLUSA L-500XL, or XL500 if you like, in the bridge position, and it smoked the original pickup.

I think it would be great for metal. An yep, the XL is meant for lead/bridge position.

I didn't have any problem getting a clean sound as well, just rolling back the volume.

The only problem I had with that is my neck pickup would overpower it used together (gibson 496R). But hey, I got it used so maybe not the best to compare with.

And for $50 it's a pretty cheap experiment. Good luck!

http://www.billlawrencereview.com

Last edited by Scothiam : 02-12-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Scothiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
element22ag
yaayya yayaya aaaaya

Location: In the white room (with black curtains), at the Station.
Ah, thanks very much Scothiam, that post (and website) helped me out alot
element22ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Scothiam

Cool, let us know which one you end up getting and how it works for you. Cheers
Scothiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
keumx

i actually have the XL-500XL and its pretty good. I have it installed on my bridge pickup, on my bc rich mockingbird. Its has a great tone, for like pitch harmonics...ect, but get a good neck pickup as well...
keumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
ESPjohn666
RANDY LIVES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder
The XL500 comes in 4 different outputs, c, r, L, and XL. I'd go with 500-c neck and 500-XL bridge.

Actually the L500 comes in L500C, L500R, L500L, and L500XL. The L500XL is great for metal and it should suit your need quite well. I would say its output is comparable to emg's while still souding warm and non sterile. My favorite pickup for metal.
ESPjohn666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: