Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #61
Siftings
Banned

Soundgarden has scraped its way into position as my favorite grunge band, on the same level as but not surpassing Nirvana (in my own personal opinion)

But Chris has a fantastic voice, and writes some really relatable lyrics. My favorite would be The Day I Tried To Live, followed by Jesus Christ Pose and Pretty Noose

Seriously, what would you guys say are the chances of a Soundgarden reunion? I think they're sadly slim, but what a possibility!!
Siftings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #62
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Yay! The Soundgarden thread is back.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #63
yawn
Be back later.

Woo hoo...!
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #64
Revalk
Attempted Sense

I believe at this point Chris has said there is next to no chance of a Soundgarden reunion. Sorry guys

Many researchers of grunge actually say that Soundgarden should probably be considered an early founder of grunge then Nirvana, and that Nirvana just blew the genre up for the world to see. Mind you, Mudhoney, Green River, Mother Love Bone, and all those other fun bands would also be in there too.
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Revalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #65
Lukeisonfire
offical Mod rock KING

^its also IMPOSSIBLE! How the hell can chris hit the notes on jesus christ pose or loud love?? And plus chris is a scumbag looking for dollars insted of making music, thats why he has his crappy solo career ahead of him.
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Lukeisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #66
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn
Woo hoo...!

N00b!

Chris Cornell is teh pwn....
Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #67
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

If Chris Cornell was looking to just make money, why would he just do a solo career as opposed to trying to get a Soundgarden reunion back together?
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #68
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
If Chris Cornell was looking to just make money, why would he just do a solo career as opposed to trying to get a Soundgarden reunion back together?

I hate to be the negative nancy here, but Soundgarden will never be back together. It will not happen. Mark my words.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #69
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:

How do you know he hasn't tried?
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #70
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyFungus
How do you know he hasn't tried?

Very good point. Didn't think about that.

I stole your avatar.LAWL
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #71
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole.
I hate to be the negative nancy here, but Soundgarden will never be back together. It will not happen. Mark my words.

Completely agree, I doubt we'll ever hear of Kim, Hiro or Ben again, and Matt and Chris both have their own things now.

YAY for avatar thieves!
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #72
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Quote:
Completely agree, I doubt we'll ever hear of Kim, Hiro or Ben again, and Matt and Chris both have their own things now.

YAY for avatar thieves!

Yay! I'm cool now.

Frenchy-5
cagnius-1
Old 03-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #73
TheHobbes

Quote:

Seattle produced so many ****ing awesome singers, huh?

Must have been all of the moisture in the air
TheHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #74
rockon1824
thebesthaircutsaretaken.

Quote:

What Frenchy and DownInAHole. said plus the fact that his solo stuff is more mainstream than Soundgarden (especially now with the James Bond thing), so it would naturally sell better.
rockon1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #75
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon1824
What Frenchy and DownInAHole. said plus the fact that his solo stuff is more mainstream than Soundgarden (especially now with the James Bond thing), so it would naturally sell better.

Even if they did get back together, they wouldn't be as popular than the once were. They best thing Cornell had going in terms of making money was Audioslave, but that ship sailed.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #76
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

I never said I thought there would be a Soundgarden reunion. I simply said if the man was after money, he'd push one. True, his music is more mainstream when he plays solo, but look at his record sales from when he was in Soundgarden, and the record sales from when he was playing solo. There is no way he's not aware of the fact that he sold me records in Soundgarden. I'd also like to point out, that Rage Against the Machine will most likely rake in a lot of money from the shows they are playing, so why wouldn't Soundgarden? I think there's plenty of people who would go see Soundgarden, and buy any new material simply because it's NOT Audioslave. He also has to be aware of the trend with solo careers, since most of them don't do anywhere near as well as the band they were famous for, hence Slash's Snakepit, 12 Bar Blues by Weiland, or Jerry Cantrell's solo outtings. And it seems to me, Audioslave was pretty damn commercialized and THEY stopped doing well in the charts. Also, when he's playing these solo shows he will be playing several Soundgarden songs... But whatever.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #77
jcthomasva
UG Fanatic

Location: Can't a brotha get some sweet tea up in this hizzay?
If Chris Cornell was all about the money we would see him on Dancing With the Stars, not releasing a solo album every 8 years. Nevertheless, Audioslave put out maybe half of an album that was worth a damn (and only the first one) and the rest was radio-friendly crap-rock. I blame Tom Morello, hack that he is.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #78
Revalk
Attempted Sense

I wouldn't call this solo album a money grab. Solo albums, even the ones that do rather well, are rarely huge money makers. If you look at his first solo album (which was a very good, mature album, really) it completely undersold, despite it's quality.
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Revalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #79
catchtherainbow
UG's Singaporean

Soundgarden >> Chris Solo Career
Soundgarden > Audioslave

damn,Soundgarden should really come back..but Chris doesn't have the vocals anymore..but it sure would be cool if they went back to their roots...

and its true that it was actually Soundgarden who started the grunge scene..Nirvana just catapulted it into the mainstream..great bands!
catchtherainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #80
rockon1824
thebesthaircutsaretaken.

Quote:
I never said I thought there would be a Soundgarden reunion. I simply said if the man was after money, he'd push one. True, his music is more mainstream when he plays solo, but look at his record sales from when he was in Soundgarden, and the record sales from when he was playing solo. There is no way he's not aware of the fact that he sold me records in Soundgarden. I'd also like to point out, that Rage Against the Machine will most likely rake in a lot of money from the shows they are playing, so why wouldn't Soundgarden? I think there's plenty of people who would go see Soundgarden, and buy any new material simply because it's NOT Audioslave. He also has to be aware of the trend with solo careers, since most of them don't do anywhere near as well as the band they were famous for, hence Slash's Snakepit, 12 Bar Blues by Weiland, or Jerry Cantrell's solo outtings. And it seems to me, Audioslave was pretty damn commercialized and THEY stopped doing well in the charts. Also, when he's playing these solo shows he will be playing several Soundgarden songs... But whatever.

What you're saying is true, but for some reason I don't think Soundgarden would be nearly as popular in today's world as the whole grunge sound is nothing like what is mainstream today. Sure, you'll get the old grunge fans and maybe a couple new converts, but overall they wouldn't sell nearly as good. So, it's likely that a solo album and a Soundgarden album would sell about the same.
rockon1824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: