Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #121
C_Turton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198x
Just got to say brief reading this is beneficial. I'm having slight trouble when trying to understand the majority of it though. A video talk through version of this would be really great.

Also one other thing :

How exactly does this work out for the 2nd & 4th harmonic? In between the 4th and 5th and 16th fret? So does that mean "in between the 4th, 5th AND the 16th fret" (which seems ridiculous) is the 4th harmonic or "in between the 4th and 5th fret and ALSO the 16th fret" is the 4th harmonic?

Maybe I'm trying to read it too hard with the wording.

What it means is that the second harmonic can be found at the 7th fret. It can also be found at the 19th fet. The fourth harmonic can be found a specific distance between the 4th and 5th fret... it can ALSO be found at the 16th fret. Whoever posted that first time around could have made it a bit clearer.
Hope this helps, dude!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #122
198x
_ - Angry Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Turton
What it means is that the second harmonic can be found at the 7th fret. It can also be found at the 19th fet. The fourth harmonic can be found a specific distance between the 4th and 5th fret... it can ALSO be found at the 16th fret. Whoever posted that first time around could have made it a bit clearer.
Hope this helps, dude!

Cheers for the clear up It does help alot.. now I can continue reading :P
Damn stoopid signature
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #123
SquirrelJonGoff
I Like BFMV... Lots :)

Hey guys, can anybody give me an explanation of how to play mute notes please?

Thanks, Jon
Old 12-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #124
handyandy101
Crap as hell newbie

Im not a guitar teacher by any means but in my short experience I have found the following techniques helpful (if anyone would like to do any corrections or has any constructive input please feel free to contribute).

Muted notes can be done with the left or right hand.

With the left hand you simply place your fingers accross the string(s) you want to mute with only enough pressure to stop them ringing out an open note (ie: they make a dead/muted sound). Try experimenting with how many fingers you need to mute the strings with in order to get the sound you want. For example if you wanted to mute the low E and A string you could mute with any combination of your 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers (or even a wrap around with the thumb in some cases), often what fingers you use to mute the strings with your left hand may be dictated by what
passage you are playing at the time.

With the right hand, a muted note is called a palm mute. Generally speaking it describes a technique of laying the right side of your palm over the strings in order to apply just enough pressure to mute the notes and not allow them to ring out.
The closer your palm is during the mute to the bridge the more and more the note will be played out, try experimenting to figure out where you want to mute the notes to achieve the desired effect.

I hope this helps, I know its hard to visualise techiniques through words alone so I think you should go to www.youtube.com and try and search for palm mute lessons or something to that effect.

On another note, for great guitar lessons in general check out The Next Level Guitar lessons at
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheNextLevelGuitar
If you find those lessons helpful (I know I certainly did) please spread the word to other guitarists so David and Tim can continue expanding their excellent library of lessons.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on with your palm muting.
Ibanez GRX40
Zoom 505II
Old Panasonic stereo-->PC
Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #125
nightwolf7

hey.. im a total newbie.. was readin thru a tab and came across this..

D* is the progression: Dsus - D - Dsus4 - D - Dsus - D (arpeggiated)

what do u mean by dsus4?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #126
Logz
UGs UGing UGer

Dsus4:
Code:
e|--3-- B|--3-- G|--2-- D|--0-- A|----- E|-----
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #127
steven seagull
not really a seagull

That's the jangly, pre-chorus bit in Stairway, isn't it?

The other chord is actually a D sus2

Code:
e|--0-- B|--3-- G|--2-- D|--0-- A|----- E|-----

A basic major chord triad consists of the 1st (root) note of the major scale (in this case D), the 5th note (here, an A)and the 3rd note (F#). A sus4 chord replaces the 3rd (F#) with the 4th note of the major scale (G), a sus2 chord replaces the 3rd with the 2nd note in the scale (E). The sus stands for "suspended", and the chords have this name because they sound unresolved, they're neither major or minor but feel somewhere between the two. They can be used to build a sense of anticipation in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #128
nightwolf7

thanks... i found it in a tab for summer of 69

and how do u play Bm chord?

234430 is d tab rite?

Last edited by nightwolf7 : 01-31-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #129
xXPortSceneXx
UG Newbie

THERE IS GREAT INSIGHT< LESSONS< AND TOOLS FOR BEGINNERS TO USE TO GET BETTER HERE: http://www.helium.com/tm/144249/ste...laying-monotone
Old 02-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #130
fangsign

All this theory hurts my head!

The best players are the best players because they play their guitar....a lot!

Theory is fine and it's good to know the basics. But you'll learn faster and become better if you just play. And if you can find someone who likes to play then you should play together. You'll get better! It's like frickin' magic!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #131
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"

Bm:
Code:
e-2 B-3 G-4 D-4 A-2 E--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #132
Angry_Gorilla
Rawr

Hey, I was wondering, for Powerchords, I use my index finger and my pinky finger to make one that is say, 5,7,7, 6th, 5th and 4th string respectively. It's just, doing this makes the 3rd string ring as well usually, because my pinky finger is barred across. I do this because I find it a lot easier to play faster powerchords. I was wondering though, should I learn to play without barring, just using my index, ring and pinky? I find this much slower.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #133
Com Sci

Is there a video on how to do harmonics?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #134
JM Brown
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Com Sci
Is there a video on how to do harmonics?

Here's a harmonics vid: http://www.fret-master.com/Harmonics.htm
hope it helps.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #135
pub hero
compricated pran

Can anyone tell me the best way to mute an open low E string in the middle of a riff? Say a riff alternates between power chords and open low E, the string just rings constantly and muddies the riff. What do you people do to prevent this?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #136
duncan04
I love yruu

it takes three fingers, put your fingers just above yhe desired strings and kindof make a downward motion while pulling out at the same time its the same idea as plucking two strings at once just with another finger added.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #137
marko275

ok so im dislexic and i just started learning how to play guitar and its not going very well. kind of like playing with one arm tied behind me. im wondering sence im teaching myself of anyone has any tips for me. i got a grasp on g c d progression and the panitonic scale. and thats obout it. chords are easy to remember i just keep messing it up. and beleave me ive put in some serious hours for practice. like 6 to seven months. so, with that said. please shoot me some ideas. ......oh ya and im not trying to play hendricks or anything hard like that, just country and classic rock. well easy clasic rock.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #138
marko275

oh and im playing a taylor.

Rate This Thread: