Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
josonmj
Registered User
 
josonmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Unhappy Why the satanic/anti-Christ lyrics?

This thread is targeted mainly at metal music.

I understand that few metal listeners are actually Satan-worshippers and fewer artists too. What I don't understand is why most of the lyrics in metal songs (I'm obviously not talking about black metal and death metal, I would be stupid if I listened to genres defined by anti-Christ lyrics and wondered why) are in some way related to satanic or anti-Christian themes, and more often than not they aren't exactly condemning it.

And the most surprising thing is that this is the story of popular bands like Black Sabbath, Exodus, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Anthrax and Slayer. Iím pretty sure none of the members of these bands are Satanists and a few even have Christian members. But most of them are just atheists. So why do they always head to the satanic realm for inspiration? I have no problem with supernaturally-themed songs like The Thing That Should Not Be or Rime of The Ancient Mariner, but songs like Deliver Us To Evil make you wonder what exactly is going on in their minds.

Black Sabbath has a song called God Is Dead, Avenged Sevenfold has one called God Hates Us (many people donít realise how this is an insult to God, one must not forget that in the Bible it is written that God is the personification of love and it is an insult to say that he hates his own people), Iron Maiden has a song called Number of the Beast, Anthrax is often associated with a satanic pentagram and then, we have SlayerÖ

I am in no way undermining songs these songs/bands, but I strongly feel that there is no reason for bands to compose such songs when there are thousands of other themes to choose from. Let us consider the songs that are considered among the best songs in metal history. Master of Puppets by Metallica is about drugs and how they ruin the life and dreams of their addicts/victims, Hallowed Be Thy Name is about a prisoner about to executed and actually has Christian themes, Holy Wars/The Punishment Due is about, well the Holy Wars and the comic protagonist The Punisher. One by Metallica is about the victims of war who yearn for death. My point is that satanic themes arenít a must for popular or good songs.

Thus I conclude by asking the UG community why artists are so keen so write songs on satanic themes.
josonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
Fisheth24
I play Bass.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Don't get me wrong but Number Of The Beast feels like a warning against being involved in devil worshipping rather than if it's a good idea to really do so.

If you look at some of the lyrics, it might be ambiguous as to what the lyrics are actually about.
__________________
One of the winners of UG's No Fap February 2015.
Gear:

Vintage Modified Squier Jazz V
BC Rich WMD Widow 5
Vintage EST96 (Musicman copy)

JCM 800
Orange Bass Terror
Harley Benton 4X10.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.
 
K33nbl4d3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Shock value. Back when there were multiple people who cared, lyrics about Satan were a good way to get noticed. If you look at your average metal song about Satan, very few of them are actually really about anything at all. It's just nonsense lyrics that allude to Hell and suchlike because that's just really br00tvl. Morally speaking, Christians are also the best people to offend because most western states give disproportionate influence to the church, so you're not attacking an already-oppressed minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josonmj
...one must not forget that in the Bible...

You also need to bear in mind that what one "must not forget" doesn't really apply to people who don't share your faith.
__________________
[Attempt to distance myself from my username]

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 01-04-2015 at 06:27 AM.
K33nbl4d3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Kips72
Registered User
 
Kips72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Number of the Beast is not really pro-satan, neither is the rest of Iron Maiden's discography. The album for which the title track is really more about human evil than spiritual evil anyway, with tracks such as "Run to The Hills."

Satan, and hell, etc. is really just a stylistic theme in metal music, and that can be attributed mostly to Black Sabbath, but their tracks are definitely anti-satan/evil etc. and more a product of the settings the band members grew up in.

Most of these songs are cherrypicked, and unoriginal mainstream targets. Another thing to take into account is the use of protagonists; the media loves ignore this with any genre, from rap to metal. Just because a singer is singing something does not mean he supports it, and in metal, more often than not a singer will be singing from a protagonist's perspective.

Really, actually read the lyrics and try to interpret them, don't listen to overzealous religious or political pundits. There's more evidence against organized religion as a whole then a genre of music, a medium.
Kips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
julien112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Avenged Sevenfold also has a song called Dear God in which they praise him so they show both sides.
julien112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Sakke
Chaser of 'Tone'
 
Sakke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kips72
Number of the Beast is not really pro-satan, neither is the rest of Iron Maiden's discography. The album for which the title track is really more about human evil than spiritual evil anyway, with tracks such as "Run to The Hills."

Satan, and hell, etc. is really just a stylistic theme in metal music, and that can be attributed mostly to Black Sabbath, but their tracks are definitely anti-satan/evil etc. and more a product of the settings the band members grew up in.

Most of these songs are cherrypicked, and unoriginal mainstream targets. Another thing to take into account is the use of protagonists; the media loves ignore this with any genre, from rap to metal. Just because a singer is singing something does not mean he supports it, and in metal, more often than not a singer will be singing from a protagonist's perspective.

Really, actually read the lyrics and try to interpret them, don't listen to overzealous religious or political pundits. There's more evidence against organized religion as a whole then a genre of music, a medium.


I honestly have nothing to add.
Don't just stick to titles, TS, there's more than meets the eye... Or don't stick to anything what others say, make it up your own.
__________________
Gear pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.


Last edited by Sakke : 01-04-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Eryth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Well, why not? Just as you say, there are so many themes to choose from. So why not Satan? More importantly: why does it matter in the first place? You offer a valid train of thought but at no point do you really make clear what it is exactly that you find not so much offensive but perhaps unpleasant about Satanic-themed lyrics.
__________________
Gear -
Schecter Blackjack C-7 ATX tuned to G#
LTD EC-1000 VB tuned to C#
ENGL Fireball E625 + MXR 10-band EQ in loop
Koch TS 212 HC cabinet

Check out my tunes and covers (mostly Death Metal)
Eryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
milesak
MilesAK
 
milesak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Well, I certainly wouldn't say most metal lyrics are about satan whatsoever. You must understand that heavy metal is a HUGE genre of music, and is crazily diverse. We have bands like Alestorm, who sing exclusively about pirates. Then we have Ghost B.C, who yes, sing exclusively about Satan (Ghost are however, a parody band). Equally though, bands like Powerwolf have tonnes of songs that are very pro-religion in a metal way, with songs such as "In the name of God" and "Amen and Attack". Furthermore, you'll find that really, the songs about Satan are few and far between. Number of the Beast is just one song while Maiden have literally hundreds of other songs with very little to do with Satan...

Now, there are plenty of Christian metal bands. August Burns Red being a popular example.

So, to conclude. Heavy metal bands are among the most creative in the music industry, and so have lyrics about almost anything imaginable. Songs about love, sex, war, peace, partying, joy, pain, drugs, depression, God and Satan. Hell, I even know one song that explains how the meaning of life is a cheeseburger. So don't let the media fool you, metal has very little to do with satan worshipping beyond the odd shock factor. Truth is, the media will tell you anything to keep metal out of the mainstream. They need someone to blame if things turn sour. Someone commits suicide? Blame the metalheads!
milesak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Because people are obviously so keen to be offended by them. Its a shock tactic to those who are easily offended, and a silly gimmick to those who aren't.

I'd also state its because the subject is the complete opposite to what most popular songs use for lyrical themes. Simply a form of anti-authority, which stems from the attitude of the 1970's and 80's bands who were discriminated by the mass media for simply making music.

Its now a sort of long running joke that everybody except the abrahamic religions seem to be in on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Book smart is better, anyway.

I can easily lift a telephone directory, and beat you with it. Just try lifting a street, assholes.
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #10
Banjocal
feck
 
Banjocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
because when black metal was created by scary men with facepaint it was that or antisemitism

*hides*
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
extinctguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by josonmj
This thread is targeted mainly at metal music.

I understand that few metal listeners are actually Satan-worshippers and fewer artists too. What I don't understand is why most of the lyrics in metal songs (I'm obviously not talking about black metal and death metal, I would be stupid if I listened to genres defined by anti-Christ lyrics and wondered why) are in some way related to satanic or anti-Christian themes, and more often than not they aren't exactly condemning it.

And the most surprising thing is that this is the story of popular bands like Black Sabbath, Exodus, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Anthrax and Slayer. Iím pretty sure none of the members of these bands are Satanists and a few even have Christian members. But most of them are just atheists. So why do they always head to the satanic realm for inspiration? I have no problem with supernaturally-themed songs like The Thing That Should Not Be or Rime of The Ancient Mariner, but songs like Deliver Us To Evil make you wonder what exactly is going on in their minds.

Black Sabbath has a song called God Is Dead, Avenged Sevenfold has one called God Hates Us (many people donít realise how this is an insult to God, one must not forget that in the Bible it is written that God is the personification of love and it is an insult to say that he hates his own people), Iron Maiden has a song called Number of the Beast, Anthrax is often associated with a satanic pentagram and then, we have SlayerÖ

I am in no way undermining songs these songs/bands, but I strongly feel that there is no reason for bands to compose such songs when there are thousands of other themes to choose from. Let us consider the songs that are considered among the best songs in metal history. Master of Puppets by Metallica is about drugs and how they ruin the life and dreams of their addicts/victims, Hallowed Be Thy Name is about a prisoner about to executed and actually has Christian themes, Holy Wars/The Punishment Due is about, well the Holy Wars and the comic protagonist The Punisher. One by Metallica is about the victims of war who yearn for death. My point is that satanic themes arenít a must for popular or good songs.

Thus I conclude by asking the UG community why artists are so keen so write songs on satanic themes.



In life you see a lot of evil being done in the name of.... I think people should write about what really is going on in the world instead of sugar coating it with bullshit. People like Geezer Butler write about what really happens in the world and has often said that Satan is the Banks, the corporate machine and wars. I think he is right, it's far too easy to ignore the stuff that really is happening in the world and misinterpret what people are writing about, maybe now would be a good time to start thinking about the stuff which was being written about in the 60's and 70's by people like Dylan and Black Sabbath that is still happening and nothing has really changed. The God squad need to take heed, this is the realm of Satan and he has become even more powerful than ever.

War Pigs by Black Sabbath is an anti war song. and a lot of their early stuff relates to the real world and not an imaginary man with a white beard.

Last edited by extinctguitar : 01-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.
extinctguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
davidedmorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
We don't know the exact reason why it will be happen. Jesus is the only way for us to live an abundant life here on earth, or receive eternal life in fellowship with God.




Ten Commandments messages
http://spiritandtruthrevival.org/

Last edited by davidedmorn : 03-17-2015 at 11:57 PM.
davidedmorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
Fisheth24
I play Bass.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidedmorn
We don't know the exact reason why it will be happen. Jesus is the only way for us to live an abundant life here on earth, or receive eternal life in fellowship with God.




Ten Commandments messages
http://spiritandtruthrevival.org/


Does Jesus also have free cookies?
__________________
One of the winners of UG's No Fap February 2015.
Gear:

Vintage Modified Squier Jazz V
BC Rich WMD Widow 5
Vintage EST96 (Musicman copy)

JCM 800
Orange Bass Terror
Harley Benton 4X10.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
herby190
slaps basses and faces.
 
herby190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Because Christianity is sorta the norm in western culture, satanism is seen as "rebellious" by the lazy hoping to make a statement or garner attention. If you don't believe that god exists, then what are you risking by insulting it/him/the sky fairy?
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
PoorOtis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Its only music,..a way of self expression..or by shock value..to make a bigger buck..so if your stuck on Satan..or messed up on GOD..just remember..Its Only Rock N Roll and I like It! So F..K OFF..!
PoorOtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
Fisheth24
I play Bass.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOtis
Its only music,..a way of self expression..or by shock value..to make a bigger buck..so if your stuck on Satan..or messed up on GOD..just remember..Its Only Rock N Roll and I like It! So F..K OFF..!


That's a stupid thing to say.
__________________
One of the winners of UG's No Fap February 2015.
Gear:

Vintage Modified Squier Jazz V
BC Rich WMD Widow 5
Vintage EST96 (Musicman copy)

JCM 800
Orange Bass Terror
Harley Benton 4X10.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
Granata
Registered User
 
Granata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Let's be honest, a lot of people that listen to metal are outcasts to society (like myself), Dave Mustaine said it himself. Metal is their way of giving society the bird. They use these types of lyrics to attract a rebellious audience. Metal is supposed to be dark and powerful. It wouldn't be the same if they start talking about love or something. Take Slayer, for example. Huge amounts of anti-Christ lyrics in their song, but Tom said it himself that he's Catholic and they're not practicing satanists.

But yes, I'm catholic and don't support those lyrics either, but it doesn't mean that I won't listen to Slayer.
Granata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
 
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Moved to the Metal forum. If the appropriate mods feel it belongs elsewhere, move it again.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Rebellion against Christianity and mainstream morals.

I'd go into more detail but it's kind of pointless because that's the basis of my understanding of it. As far as I know its just symbolism for rejection of Christianity and independence from religion.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #20
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
 
Helloween4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I Want Out from Where the Rain Grows
i ams satinist so is metals
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"


last.fm
Helloween4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.