Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Winterfylleth - Pyar English BM

OK, so they aren't scouse, but its still pyar.

So, I was busy doing things on the internet that don't induce masturbation and I stumbled into Dunc's review of the new Winterfylleth album. With such praise lauded upon them I made it my mission to check these boyos out.

So I did. And I still am. And it is good, very good. Very English, great overall feel to the album, very representative of the themes they cover.

Again, credit to Dunc for inadvertedly turning me onto these boyos, have a gander for yourselves here.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

Surprised Annihislater hadn't made a thread sooner to be honest.

They're okay, could never get into their debut, despite how much i tried.
andyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

They're on my list of bands to check out. I've enjoyed what little I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I love them. The new album should have arrived today, but it didn't

but The Ghost of Heritage is incredible. I had Mam Tor on one of my forum radios a while back.

They also have awesome Tshirts, my red and gold 3 lions shirt is one of my favorites (if you go to my last.fm in my sig, theres is a link to my FB page, where I have it on in my default.

I noticed you said you felt they had an english feel to them, I know what you mean. Its hard to put into words.

Interestingly, Chris is also in Atavist, and Cloaca, and Mark, the other guitarist, is the guy behind Guthrum and used to be in Ravenage.

The UK has a pretty healthy black metal scene at the moment with the likes of Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone, Cnoc An Tursa, Old Corpse Road, Fyrdsman, Ghast and plenty of others.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap

Ohmygod.

Fantastic Black Metal, how I think it should be.
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
freddaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

I'm loving the production on it. It's crisp enough to really gather everything thats going on without sacrificing atmosphere and sounding overproduced. Will have to delve into their earlier material at some point.

EDIT: And wow, that red shirt is awesome. I do wish more bands would do shirts like that, nice to have band shirts in colours other than black. Especially ones that look as good as that.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer's Eve
I'm loving the production on it. It's crisp enough to really gather everything thats going on without sacrificing atmosphere and sounding overproduced. Will have to delve into their earlier material at some point.

I was thinking similarly. It sounds stunning through my hi-fi. I would like more emphasis on the 'Ambient' part of their genre descriptions, though.
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
freddaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
ctfod
Your move, creep

I'm a bit surprised there wasn't already a thread, Heritage was a fantastic album, I listened to it at work recently while putting the stock out. I had no idea The Mercian Sphere came out today, but I heard one of the tracks from it on the Candlelight website, and it sounds very promising.

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
progbass
UG Resident

I'll check it out now

I love Fen, but Wodensthrone didn't do too much for me
Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer's Eve
Will have to delve into their earlier material at some point.

This is the track I put in my radio, and my favourite track by them. well untill the new album comes hopefully.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
logboy

New album sounds like an improvement over their sound from the first album, especially in the production area with this new one sounding some of the best produced Black Metal i've heard.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

BNPcore.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I think its a shame that the opinions of a now ex member are still tarring the band.

If you google winterfylleth, one of googles suggestions is Winterfylleth racist, now if you click it check one of the top results, it should be a doom forum. Chris pretty much explains everything.

Its seems they were guilty by association, because they like bands with questionable views, poeple assume they did, which is none sense. I like bands like Drudkh, Walknut, hate forest, Kataxu etc, who all apparently have questionable views, but it doesn't mean I do. Just cause you listen to something, doesnt mean you agree with the artists views. There were people saying about symbols they used, and his response was essentially, we used them in the right way, but because these symbols are now known out of context, people assume we mean them out of context. I think he may have used it as an example, Death in June, they use an Algiz rune quite often, they use a totenkopf quite often, and their name is a reference to the night of the long knifes, but no one really questions them.

They did a blog on myspace when they sacked the guy who made the initial comments, but I cent seem to find it.

I know I could have just chose to ignore your comment, and no one would have thought any more of it, but its just a bit annoying, that one little blip that has been dealt with is still coming back to haunt them.

Anyway, the new album should arrive today, so ill report back later.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #14
logboy

Totally agree with AnnihiSlateR, besides that one member who was consequently fired for his statements, and after an apology by the band, they're still tarred with the 'nazi' brush because of the symbols and themes used in the music in the same way that bands such as Skyforger or Moonsorrow have been stigmatized by the ANTIFA crowd who brainlessly follow a certain idiotic doctrine as most neo-nazis do themselves.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

The Skyforger and Moonsorrow ones were laughable, Skyforgers use of a Thundercross in their logo was misconstrued as a Swastika,
and Moonsorrow's s in the logo looks like the Sig Rune that was used by the SS.

I honestly feel some people will complain about anything.

The Mercian Sphere arrived today, Im just ripping it now, so ill report back with my opinion in abit.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
ctfod
Your move, creep

Mercian Sphere is a great listen. Fields of Reckoning and The Honor of Good Men on the Path to Eternal Glory are two of the strongest tracks. The prouction works beautifully for the album, too.

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
logboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
The Skyforger and Moonsorrow ones were laughable, Skyforgers use of a Thundercross in their logo was misconstrued as a Swastika,
and Moonsorrow's s in the logo looks like the Sig Rune that was used by the SS.

I honestly feel some people will complain about anything.

The Mercian Sphere arrived today, Im just ripping it now, so ill report back with my opinion in abit.

Its the extreme left being as idiotic as the extreme right, instead of attacking on all things foreign as being evil and such as extreme righties do, the lefties seem to go for lots of native things as being 'racist and offensive' for representing a single part of our history.

Politics is a touchy area, i'm glad to simply not give a shit about any of this stuff.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Finally got round to the album. One track in and its sounding very good. I like the production a lot.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Right, If I had to criticise anything about TMS, its that I think its a bit too long.
But I think that about a few of my favorite albums, so its not like its a major issue.

Last edited by AnnihiSlateR : 07-20-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
duncang
Popular British sitcom

The Honour Of Good Men is so tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: