Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Intralimpidus

really straight headstock angle?

Alright so you see how the strat's headstock has a curve so its not perfectly straight with the side of the neck that's touching the fretboard?

Why is it done like this?

Would the tuning stability be better if the headstock was completely straight with side of the neck that's touching the fretboard, if you had a trem with no locking nut? kind of like the one at the bottom of this picture:

(It's not completely straight but you know what I mean.)

Edit: I forgot to say, for a tremolo bridge without a locking nut, and with string trees.

Last edited by Intralimpidus : 04-09-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Intralimpidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Roc8995
electron herder

The strings need a break angle over the nut, otherwise they'll pop out or rattle or generally sound terrible. The angled headstock or the strat version are two solutions to the same problem.

Both have merits and drawbacks. Neither is "better."

Try something new

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Intralimpidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The strings need a break angle over the nut, otherwise they'll pop out or rattle or generally sound terrible. The angled headstock or the strat version are two solutions to the same problem.

Both have merits and drawbacks. Neither is "better."

Sorry I forgot to say for a tremolo bridge without a locking nut, and with string trees.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Tony Done

The last pic would likely be the strongest, but the break angle problem would need addressing. - Suitably placed string trees should do it. I wonder why it hasn't been used more often? Ugly?
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Intralimpidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done
The last pic would likely be the strongest, but the break angle problem would need addressing. - Suitably placed string trees should do it. I wonder why it hasn't been used more often? Ugly?

So with the headstock being completely straight like the last pic would the tuning stability be better than the one in the first pic?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intralimpidus
So with the headstock being completely straight like the last pic would the tuning stability be better than the one in the first pic?

I don't think so, and the one in the pic doesn't have much string break angle over the nut, so you could get string rattle problems on the open strings. The one in the pic might benefit from string trees near the nut to increase break angle.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Roc8995
electron herder

If you have a locking nut then it doesn't matter. Straight is fine. There's no need for pressure from the break over the nut if you're bolting the strings into the nut.

Try something new

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: