Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #2521
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Duplicolor and Krylon are both made by Sherwin-Williams, just make sure they're Acrylic Lacquer. The bigbox DIY stores like Lowes and Home Depot sell their own house brands.

Don't spray on a brush, just get the paint pen.
__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #2522
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
 
zomgguitarz1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Duplicolor and Krylon are both made by Sherwin-Williams, just make sure they're Acrylic Lacquer. The bigbox DIY stores like Lowes and Home Depot sell their own house brands.

Don't spray on a brush, just get the paint pen.


Home depot had rust-oluem which I heard was horrible. Will the paint pen leave pen strokes?
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #2523
Skeet UK
UG's Painting King
 
Skeet UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kent, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgguitarz1234
Home depot had rust-oluem which I heard was horrible. Will the paint pen leave pen strokes?


Not really...but a brush will, unless you are good and use a pinstriping brush and pinstriping enamel...use the Paint Pen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal UK
...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.


Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani

I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Skeet UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #2524
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony
 
GAPendragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Anyone have any idea where I can either buy the translucent purple used in the Ibanez Lavender Burst, as seen here, or the shades needed to mix it? I have a poplar Stingray-type body with a maple veneer in need of refinishing, and I'd like to be able to reproduce a similar color if possible.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 03-23-2012 at 11:02 PM.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #2525
Neil27
Registered User
 
Neil27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
I am planning on painting an ibanez body that I have sanded down,

I am looking to paint it a fender 'candy green' which looks like this:



In darker conditions:


can anyone recommend a spray can colour/brand that is close to that?

and would a silver primer help with the metallic look to it?
Neil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #2526
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony
 
GAPendragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Has anybody ever tried one of these kits? I found them a couple of days ago and the example images look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil27
I am planning on painting an ibanez body that I have sanded down,
I am looking to paint it a fender 'candy green' which looks like this:
...
can anyone recommend a spray can colour/brand that is close to that?
and would a silver primer help with the metallic look to it?


Candy has metallic silver or gold sprayed on first, and then a translucent color over the top. Silver gives a brighter color, gold gives darker. This green isn't quite the same shade on its own, but it's translucent and would probably look different over silver or gold anyway. This color is closer, I think but isn't translucent.

A forum post I found through Google suggested this as an undercoat. And it's for candy apple red, but this page lists the steps as: White primer, Inca Silver (or gold) metallic, Clear Red and then Clear Gloss, so you could maybe just substitute the red for a translucent green.

EDIT :

Just found this site which mixes custom colours.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Last edited by GAPendragon : 04-20-2012 at 01:55 PM.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #2527
QOTSA40
Canadian Drinking Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
hey all

sorry if this has already been covered, but there's 64 pages and I'm not gonna lie, I haven't read them all..

But my question is this: Where can I find stain to use on my guitar?

I've just gotten my hands on a few scrap pieces of Maple wood that I'm looking to practice on before I stain my guitar body, and I'm just wondering where one would obtain the stain necessary to do the job?

I'm staining a warmoth tele body with a (beautiful) quilted maple top, and I'm planning on staining it, most likely with a burst pattern (colours yet to be determined). Any help would be great.

I know I can order them online from macstew or w/e it is, but I'm just wondering where would sell it over the counter in a big city. (ottawa, canada if that helps :P)

Thanks!
QOTSA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #2528
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPendragon
Has anybody ever tried one of these kits? I found them a couple of days ago and the example images look good.
...

I've tried similar kits here in the US in spraycans. For electrics, I doubt the finish type will make much of a difference through a cranked or high gain amp. I've played PBasses, J Basses, and PJ basses finished in Nitro, Acrylic, Polycrylic , etc. and through the Ampeg SVT-CL and 810, very hard to differentiate.

__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #2529
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOTSA40
hey all

sorry if this has already been covered, but there's 64 pages and I'm not gonna lie, I haven't read them all..

But my question is this: Where can I find stain to use on my guitar?

I've just gotten my hands on a few scrap pieces of Maple wood that I'm looking to practice on before I stain my guitar body, and I'm just wondering where one would obtain the stain necessary to do the job?

I'm staining a warmoth tele body with a (beautiful) quilted maple top, and I'm planning on staining it, most likely with a burst pattern (colours yet to be determined). Any help would be great.

I know I can order them online from macstew or w/e it is, but I'm just wondering where would sell it over the counter in a big city. (ottawa, canada if that helps :P)

Thanks!

Just to clarify, dye, which you'll need, is different from stain. You can probably check out local shops there but here in the US, I go to LMII. They have tutorials there and some links in the first page of this thread.

__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #2530
bazo666
Registered User
 
bazo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Hey ^_^ Just wondering if anyone could help me with this, or direct me to a post that'd help me(:

Basically, I'm repainting my guitar over the summer to a matt black (I guess the type on say the Epiphone Gothic series) but on top of the on the front of guitar I'm painting kind of a "stain glass" looking rose (maybe with a hand holding it out) just wondering what type of paint and stuff would I use, just ordinary poster paint? and would I need to seal it with anything?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
bazo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #2531
Thatstratguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
This is my first time refinishing a guitar I already stripped the body downt to wood and have this http://www.dulux.ca/documents/NC.pdf what else will I need? Also if I plan on relicing it should I tape up parts where I want the wood to show then paint over them and take the tape off at the very end?
Thatstratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #2532
whoomit
 
whoomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
The only parts I'd tape up are the cavities (although you don't have to). You can then sand through the paint where you want the wood to show, and then clear coat. That's how I'd go.
__________________
whoomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #2533
A Tout Le Monde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I've got a guitar that I want to take the gloss finish off, but I don't want to re-paint the guitar, just dull it down, would sanding it do the job?
A Tout Le Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #2534
SerpentineGtars
UK Guitar Maker
 
SerpentineGtars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tout Le Monde
I've got a guitar that I want to take the gloss finish off, but I don't want to re-paint the guitar, just dull it down, would sanding it do the job?


You can do that; disassemble your guitar, grab some 2500 or higher grit wet'n'dry on a block and lightly sand away. Use water with a drop of washing up liquid in it for lubrication. Let the weight of the block do the work and you can achieve a uniform matt finish.

Alternatively, wire wool will work but I don't think the result will be as nice as the 2500 wet'n'dry.
SerpentineGtars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #2535
hamza hashmi
Registered User
 
hamza hashmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
hey, if i want to add a custom vinyl using transfer paper and then use a light iron. will that work?
hamza hashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #2536
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
 
zomgguitarz1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
What grit of sandpaper do you guys recommend for using after putting on the primer, inbetween coats, and after the final coat?
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #2537
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza hashmi
hey, if i want to add a custom vinyl using transfer paper and then use a light iron. will that work?

It really depends on the vinyl decal. Didn't they give specific instructions? Normally, you just peel it off, apply pressure, and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgguitarz1234
What grit of sandpaper do you guys recommend for using after putting on the primer, inbetween coats, and after the final coat?

http://www.reranch.com/solids.htm
__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2538
HenryB
Registered User
 
HenryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Essex, UK
Is there a way to accelerate the fading of a Les Paul? It's quite a strong cherry burst now, and I'd like it to be more along the lines of a honey burst, sort of like Jimmy Page's LP faded over time. I've got a Gibson Les Paul Standard faded (it's a satin finish).
__________________
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2

Last edited by HenryB : 04-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #2539
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
I'd let the pros tackle that one.

If it's a clown burst, you probably need to keep it out of the case and let it get some sun?
__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #2540
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
 
zomgguitarz1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon

Thanks
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.