Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #21
UniverseZero
Wikipedia is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNRSoldier
Hey, I'm considering painting my crappy Yamaha with a Canadian flag design, are there any tutorials around for how to paint designs like this (two colors,not very detailed design) ?

follow the basic refinishing tutorial, basecoat white first, then mask and spray the red color

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
UniverseZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
zekk
I am me as you are we

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempri_fi
jimi used nail polish on his flying v, and it was all hand painted, you could try using a picture of it and doing a grid scale replica onto a full sized guitar. or you could just wing it and see how it turns out, it really depends on how artistic you are.

I'm going to jsut wing it, using jimis just as an idea.
should I use nail or regular paint or what?

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
zekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #23
JohnnySoul
ooh

heey i'm planning to draw on my guitar as well! are acrylics okay, or not? if not, what kind of paint should i be using? and will it kill my guitar's sound in any way? and im not repainting on my guitar btw, it's gonna be some design painted on it. would that be okaay? :/

thanks

ps. sorry for hijacking >_<

Last edited by JohnnySoul : 03-31-2007 at 09:35 PM.
JohnnySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #24
sempri_fi
Banned

im pretty sure acrylics will work, you'll have to scuff sand it so the paint will stick

and

you can use nail paints, but it might get expensive in a hurry, maybe checkout an art supply store and ask them what they'd recommend using over poly.
sempri_fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #25
shotbythepope
UG Senior Member

I have a half sanded guitar body. I'm too lazy to sand the whole thing. Can I just put some primer on it? Or do I have to sand the whole thing? Im paiting a solid colour, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
shotbythepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
malibu43

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a Yamaha EG112 (inexpensive guitar) that has been signed by one of my heros in a silver paint pen. It's a black guitar with gloss finish. After a year or so, the paint is starting to wear off from a little playing, but also just handling during cleaning and such.

I asked a local guitar repair shop about putting a couple layers of clear coat over the front of the guitar to protect the autograph, but they said they wouldn't do it (to "risky"). I bought some minwax polycrylic (brush on and spray) and experimented a little on the back of the guitar. The spray came out "orange peely" and the brush on left brush streaks. I'm not very experienced in this stuff, and I'm a little frustrated that I seem to have a finish that will work but I'm having so much trouble getting a smooth finish.

Can anyone help me out? I tried reading throught some of the tutorials, but I get confused since most of those start from scratch and are geared towards refinishing the entire guitar. All I'm looking to do is add a little protection to one specific part of the guitar. The finish doesn't need to be flawless, but should at least look nice. It seems to me like there has to be some easy inexpensive way to do this without buying all sorts of tools and materials...I hope.

If someone could walk me through step by step what I need to do or suggest where to look, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #27
dave293
‪‪‪

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Lut...elebsigsig.html

Check it out, it should give you an idea onn how to approach this.
dave293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #28
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave293
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Lut...elebsigsig.html

Check it out, it should give you an idea onn how to approach this.

Thanks. I'd actually seen that article already. Unfortunately, this article give a lot of detail about how to get the guitar/signature ready for applying the finish, and then says this:

"The new shellac base insured that my sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer would adhere well, so I proceeded with a regular schedule of spraying, leveling, pollishing and buffing:"

This is the part that I'm not really sure what to do. In my case it will probably be brushing on Minwax Polycrylic instead of spraying, but I don't know what should be involved leveling, polishing, and buffing... Here is what I'm guessing:

Sand with 320 grit between coats, up to maybe 3 coats. Then start sanding and work my way up to really fine grit (1500, 2000?). At this point is should be nearly pollished, I think... I was only planning on applying the additional clear coat over the part with the signature. Will this work? Or will there be an obvious difference in the finish? It does't have to be perfect, but I don't want it to look like crap. It is only a < $200 guitar, after all.

If I'm biting off more than someone with no experience (or a lot of time and $$$ to put into it) can chew, please let me know so I can save myself the frustration.

Thanks!

PS - should I start a new thread, since this is a sticky?

Last edited by malibu43 : 04-08-2007 at 11:51 PM.
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #29
dave293
‪‪‪

That sounds alright. Though after sanding with 2000 i'd use some buffing compound to buff the finish. Spraying would be prefered, in which case you would spray 3-4 coats before evening touching the finish with sandpaper, level too soon and you risk sanding through and ruining the signature.

It would be better to clear the entire top or may may end up with some uneveness in the finish.

As for biting of more than you can chew. If you do your research (with it's obvious your doing) there's no reason you can do a decent job.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 AM   #30
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

What's the best method to do a matte black sort of finish?
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #31
dave293
‪‪‪

Use satin lacquers and do it the same as a normal finish. Matte or satin lacquers are just regular lacquers with a flattening agent added. A matte finish could be done by scratching the finish with steel wool but this gives the finish a scratchy look to it.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #32
Jeff_Wiedlandt

im thinking of painting a confederate flag on a lp with a carved top, does anybody have any ideas on how to do that well?
Jeff_Wiedlandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #33
Ulrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Wiedlandt
im thinking of painting a confederate flag on a lp with a carved top, does anybody have any ideas on how to do that well?

check out the Rebel Flag here.
Ulrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #34
LesPaulStrat
UG Fanatic

some tutorials have broken pics. Fix please
LesPaulStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #35
sakura'sdarkest

Okay here's a twother...

1. How do I achieve a silverburst? Do I use the standard bursting method or is there a special way of doing it silver style?

2. Being a big fan of anime I want to paint some on my guitar, is there any specific paint I have to use? I was going to use games workshop paint and water it down howether I thought I might aswell ask here first. I was going to do it on the pickgaurd after sanding it down if it makes any difference.

Just incase anyone wondered fender mustang, silverburst with silver eddie van halenish stripes on the back with anime picture on the pickgaurd.
And miles to go before I sleep.

sakura'sdarkest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #36
JD Red LP

I couldn't find anything in the tutorials about doing a two tone type paint job. I'm thinking of doing a Frankenstrat esque paint job to my RG 320. White with metallic Teal/light blue stripes. So the first coat would be the bluish color, then tape, then the white. How would I go about the sanding? I wouldn't want to end up sanding through the white and having to start over. Anyone done a paint job like this?

Noob question:
Is it absolutely necessary to sand down to the wood? What if the body on the guitar is perfect? Could I just scuff it then spend a lot of time with Primer?

Jackson COW7 Silverburst
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Ibanez RG Project
Mesa DC-5
JD Red LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #37
dave293
‪‪‪

I'd do the white first then the mettalics stripes. Do not sand the mettalic piant as it ruins the effect. Spray a few clear coats then level sand.

Whether you sand down to wood is up to you. You can just scuff with 220 and spray.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #38
JD Red LP

how would i paint the stripes in? Just freehand them?

Jackson COW7 Silverburst
Ibanez RG Project
Mesa DC-5
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #39
dave293
‪‪‪

Use painters masking tape to cover any areas you don't want paint.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 AM   #40
JD Red LP

wouldn't that be more time consuming than spraying it blue, taping th pattern, then spraying it white?

Jackson COW7 Silverburst
Ibanez RG Project
Mesa DC-5

Rate This Thread: