Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
magicalcorpse

My amp and/or guitar squeals at high volumes issue

I am still some what new to the guitar scene and I am having an issue I just can't seem to figure out. First of all, I have a Jackson SLS3 w/ seymour duncan blackouts in it and I am using a Line 6 spider III 150 amp. No pedals and I am using monster cables. I know its not the greatest amp, but it works.....some what.

I have been hearing this high pitch squealing noise whenever I crank the volume on the amp. It goes away when I lay my fingers over the strings on my guitar. Does anyone one know how to get rid of that noise? I have tried standing pretty far away from the amp. I have even tried standing in a separate area, so that I can barely hear the amp and it still does it (trying to omit feedback through the pick ups). I was afraid it may have been my pick ups, but I plug another guitar into the amp and it does the same thing. If I turn the amp down, it stops doing the high pitch noise.

I imagine you are thinking, "duh idiot, it's your amp. Go buy a decent amp" But, I honestly dont have the money right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or at least make it better? Any info is appreciated.

Oh and I apologize if someone had already asked a similar question. I just could not find anything that was similar to my issue.
magicalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Turn the gain down, turn the volume down. Spiders aren't the kind of amp you push hard and get a better tone out of.

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetal
Turn the gain down, turn the volume down. Spiders aren't the kind of amp you push hard and get a better tone out of.

+1, This is good advice. If the problem persists, learn to quickly roll the volume knob on your guitar on/off so you have more control over the feedback when you aren't playing.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Active pickups + cheap low-end modelling amp = recipe for crappy tone.

Use a lower gain model on the amp, turn the gain down and turn the guitar volume down.

Feedback is a physical effect so it happens when the air moved by the speaker vibrates the string - however using high levels of gain and a boosted input signal like you get from active pickups is going to make everything far more sensitive to feedback and harder to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
magicalcorpse

This is all great advice. Thanks. I was looking at getting the Laney Ironheart IRT120h (Cabinet is still to be determined), but that won't be for awhile. Would that solve my issues?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
zl1288

To an extent, but you will still have some amount of feedback at high volumes. The difference will be that the feedback will sound more "musical" and will be much easier to control. You'll get the hang of controlling your feedback with time.

Nice amp choice btw, I really like the Ironheart series.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
magicalcorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
To an extent, but you will still have some amount of feedback at high volumes. The difference will be that the feedback will sound more "musical" and will be much easier to control. You'll get the hang of controlling your feedback with time.

Nice amp choice btw, I really like the Ironheart series.

At least i picked a good amp to aim for this time lol. Are there any pedals I should consider to help lesson the feedback? Again, I appreciate the info.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
danielbang

try using a different cable. i was at guitarcenter once trying out amps and every amp i used was squealing at high gain. then i tryed a different cable and it fixed the problem
danielbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

Could try a noise gate if nothing else works. Set it so that it mutes your output if you lay your hand over the bridge briefly, but kicks back on as soon as you sturm a note. Shouldn't affect your sustain if set right.

EDIT: typo

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

Last edited by jpatan : 07-13-2012 at 10:19 AM.
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
bluekirby7
UG's ONLY Adorable Kirby

You know that model has a 'secret' noise gate and added 'gain' on it right? Hold the tuner button and rotate the first effects knob (the D light should either light up or unlight). That is your noise gate. Do the same, but instead rotate the drive. (A should light or unlight). That is your extra gain.

if you go through the presets, you will notice the high gain models tend to have no noise gate by default, and the extra gain on.

I recommend going through the patches you use and adjusting accordingly.
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
bluekirby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalcorpse
At least i picked a good amp to aim for this time lol. Are there any pedals I should consider to help lesson the feedback? Again, I appreciate the info.

If all else fails you could try a noise gate, but I think your issues will probably be resolved if you follow some of the advice in this thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
magicalcorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekirby7
You know that model has a 'secret' noise gate and added 'gain' on it right? Hold the tuner button and rotate the first effects knob (the D light should either light up or unlight). That is your noise gate. Do the same, but instead rotate the drive. (A should light or unlight). That is your extra gain.

if you go through the presets, you will notice the high gain models tend to have no noise gate by default, and the extra gain on.

I recommend going through the patches you use and adjusting accordingly.

Wow lol I am an idiot. I had no idea that was one the amp. Guess I should have read the instructions instead of just plugging in and playing. Good catch, I will try that out tonight to see if there is a difference. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
magicalcorpse

Thanks for all of the input. I will test everything out tonight and over the weekend. If all else fails, I will order the Laney.....actually, I should order the Laney anyways lol
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Perverockstar69

Controlling feedback with a big tube amp is yummie (I said controlling it, not getting rid of it)

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)