Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #81
Dromar
im sorry

alrighty bill, ive sent a revised and longer version.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:23 PM   #82
ZsigE
UG Newbie

Quote:
FWIW.... my computer showed your track as being 86.6378 BPM.... so I had to do quite a bit of work on it.

I'm sorry about that, I had no idea it was so far off. I've worked out how to play along to a backing track (finally) but my bass line was being played along to an automatic drum track from my keyboard, which claimed to be going at 85BPM. Last time I trust that then, although the fact that I've never recorded myself on bass before must take some of the blame. Sorry to give you so much extra work.

*listens to self mixed in*

Well, that was much better than what I was steeling myself for. Excellent job of mixing there (sounds far better than it did on my computer), although I still think I sound daft on the verses and far too simplistic on the choruses. Oh well, maybe it would sound better with some other instruments on board.

I'll download some of the other mixes and have a listen tomorrow...right now, I'm off to bed.

Which, even after the latest test in June, doesn't work.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #83
RainDog
Thrash Jazz Assassin

Quote:
Originally posted by turinbrakes
Check your pm box

Oh btw, those intro keyboards sound awsome, great recording quality too, somehow they remind me of a cher song lol...it really cool though

Actually, I played the keys with a midi keyboard and fed it into a software synth, and just exported it into an mp3 in fruityloops, so theres no recording quality loss at all. It works out good since the software synth is more powerful and better sounding than my keyboard.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:50 PM   #84
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally posted by Dromar
alrighty bill, ive sent a revised and longer version.

I'll go grab it and mix it in tonight or tomorrow..

BTW.. if everyone has already heard Dromar's first bassline... I need the space on my site... anyone care if I delete it and replace it with newer stuff?

Thanks...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:55 PM   #85
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally posted by ZsigE
I'm sorry about that, I had no idea it was so far off. I've worked out how to play along to a backing track (finally) but my bass line was being played along to an automatic drum track from my keyboard, which claimed to be going at 85BPM. Last time I trust that then, although the fact that I've never recorded myself on bass before must take some of the blame. Sorry to give you so much extra work.

*listens to self mixed in*

Well, that was much better than what I was steeling myself for. Excellent job of mixing there (sounds far better than it did on my computer), although I still think I sound daft on the verses and far too simplistic on the choruses. Oh well, maybe it would sound better with some other instruments on board.

I'll download some of the other mixes and have a listen tomorrow...right now, I'm off to bed.

Don't worry about it. I thought it was good, plus it gave you some experience on recording yourself...

Read what I wrote to Dromar and how the majority of people feel about themselves when they get to hear themselves recorded. Its the same for most people, so don't let it stop you from recording and playing your bass with other people.

Seeing as how you've worked out how to play along to the backing track while you record... why not take another shot at it?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #86
Bill43
I like it here

Okay...
here's the link to a first mix of Raindog's keyboards, Silenced's intro lead and Turinbrakes' chorus lead...

Not Another Dead Link?

I can't wait to get Silenced's new track of that intro... so I can take that nasty pop out of my side of the song and play around with placing his lead track in a few other choice spots.

Turinbrakes.... I think you'll like how I mixed your riffs. FWIW your way of recording made mixing it a breeze. Fantasic sounds! I'll wait to see if you notice what I did to them (very subtle, but easily noticed) before I tell you about it.

Seriously... if anyone else here is using Cool Edit Pro... go back in the thread a little and read exactly how Turinbrakes does his recordings. It really made my "job" a hell of a lot easier... plus I can get a little inventive with the track.

As I've said before... even if someone has already played in a portion of the song that you wanted to play in... don't let that stop you... just go for it! I still have all of the originals... and every single mix. I just wish I had the space available to host all of this stuff.

If there's a specific mix that you don't have and you still need it... just let me know and as soon as I read about it, I can have it back up in a matter of minutes.

Thanks guys... awsome work!

*edit* this is still in the newest mix, so there's no need for it anymore.

Last edited by Bill43 : 09-17-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #87
Silenced
Child of the Grave

Ok Bill, as promised.......just me, it only starts at like something seconds, because I had to record, and then open up the back track, but the timing should be right, minus maybe a few altered notes, cause I don't remember how to perfectly replicate it.

http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/k...enko/justme.mp3

P.S. Do something cool with that!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:40 PM   #88
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally posted by luke89
bah post it, ur solo's probably nasty.

Luke... I know this is a "democratic" site... free speech and all that, but if you have nothing constructive to say... please... and I am asking very nice with a great big , please don't post it.

If you have a real complaint, or something does really sound that bad... then let us know. I think we can all stand a little constructive criticism every now and then.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-15-2003, 11:44 PM   #89
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally posted by Silenced
Ok Bill, as promised.......just me, it only starts at like something seconds, because I had to record, and then open up the back track, but the timing should be right, minus maybe a few altered notes, cause I don't remember how to perfectly replicate it.

http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/k...enko/justme.mp3

P.S. Do something cool with that!!!

Got it... I'll add it in with the new 12 strings minus that nasty mic hit in them....

I'm already drooling over the thought of that sweet tone of yours!
Old 09-16-2003, 12:07 AM   #90
Silenced
Child of the Grave

Yeah, it's also not just the GNX contributing to that sweet tone, people often underestimate, and tend to sway with the crowd on saying"Epihones are cheap, and poorly built". Most people that say that mearly played a few of them that weren't setup, but after an Epi LP is properly setup, oh mama, it really gets some sweet tones, and that is just with the crappy ass stock pickups, I am gonna kill some innocent children with this thing when I hook it up with my SD combo!!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:56 AM   #91
ninjaadam44

bill... i've been desparately wanting a 12 string for months now, and then i listen to this. i feel like you're personally taunting me now . a little egocentric of me, but still.... ahh... the sweet, sweet sounds...

when i listened to the first version, i couldn't help but wonder why you hadn't told us you were in semisonic, as the main chord progression is the same as in "closing time". then, i realised that it's also in "live forever" by oasis, and several other songs. but none of those songs have all the other cool stuff this one does.

i'd like to contribute something to this whole project, but my recording quality is crap at the present, and nothing i've come up with (so far) has really added anything to the many layers... this is good stuff. keep it up, everyone
taking dmal out of context... but i like the quote...
download my songs...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:27 AM   #92
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjaadam44
bill... i've been desparately wanting a 12 string for months now, and then i listen to this. i feel like you're personally taunting me now . a little egocentric of me, but still.... ahh... the sweet, sweet sounds...

I'm not trying to "rub salt in an open wound"... but I have 2 different 12 strings. They each have very unique tonal qualities.
Quote:

when i listened to the first version, i couldn't help but wonder why you hadn't told us you were in semisonic, as the main chord progression is the same as in "closing time". then, i realised that it's also in "live forever" by oasis, and several other songs. but none of those songs have all the other cool stuff this one does.

Chord progressions are generally simple... almost everything's been done before.

Anyway....
Wow! Are you way off! The little rhythm "riff" in the intro and right after the first 4 bars of distorted guitars was loosely based on a song done by a very widely known and well published band. Anyone want to take a guess at the band's name and the song? I'll tell you if you're right... hell I'll probably get tired of the guessing and tell everyone soon enough.
Quote:

i'd like to contribute something to this whole project, but my recording quality is crap at the present, and nothing i've come up with (so far) has really added anything to the many layers... this is good stuff. keep it up, everyone.

You're more than welcome to record anything you want to add to it. I can possibly "fix" most bad recordings, so don't let that stop you.

FWIW, I was genuinely serious when I invited everyone to try their hand at adding to this song. That's what keeps it interesting.

You might not like the way that you sound to yourself. Just as I don't like the sound of my own singing, or my picture on my driver's license. That's just the way a lot of people are. Don't let it bother you. Making music is supposed to be fun... Try and recall why you started making your own music... it was for the sheer enjoyment of it... well.. at least it was for me... and it still is.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #93
ohdarn323
Restlessly. Cheater.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill43
Hey!!!! I've got a great idea. You already know about the back track thing going on in riffs? Well... arienette is sort of stuck on what type of lyrics to write for it... why don't you give that a go! Your lyrics, arienette's (melting my heart) vocals and everyone else playing music with them. I really think it would come off great. I hope you'll give it a try

(that quote was from a critique on my song....which is HERE if any of you wanna critique it )

anyways, bob...er...bill....

if i can determine a definite melody for that song id love to have a go at lyrics....is there a specific theme/topic you'd like to suggest?

my rhyme scemes usually come out as AABB or ABCB; the former of which most people dont like. if you have any 'requirements', feel free to post them
Old 09-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #94
turinbrakes
teehee

hey that's awsome! i like the left to right thingey you did there

i dunno if it's cos im a little bit deaf but for future mixes, could you perhaps boost my volume a little bit more, especially when its panned to one side the volume is quite soft, no big deal though
Old 09-16-2003, 05:55 PM   #95
Bill43
I like it here

Okay...
here's the link to a new mix of Raindog's keyboards, Silenced's new intro lead with a new (no mic hit) 12 string and (it wasn't a problem.. you've asked and I've done it) a 300% increase of volume on Turinbrakes' chorus lead... plus some added and changed stuff of Silenced's. I don't care for the distortion type, other small effects and levels I put on that part... it seems to be overbearing... Let me know what you think.

I also had a harder time placing Silenced's new intro riff in it this time.... it seems to be slightly off time. I didn't mess with it, other than to place it in the mix. I know you're close with what you did the first time... you've just added about a half to quarter beat between the 2 parts of the riff.

You can't because this is another Dead Link

to download the latest intro mix.

I haven't forgotten Dromar's bass licks either. I'm trying to do all this and my work too! I have to pay the bills somehow. I'll get to them ASAP and post a link here.

Anyway... any comments?

Yuck... I just cranked it up really loud and heard those nasty changes I put on Silenced's old lead riff that was put on the end... after turin's lead. They sound okay at low volumes, but cranked... they just have way too much distortion... and I don't really care for the type I used on it either. I'll be taking those back out! Maybe someone would like to place something in that portion of the song?

*edit* everything except that nasty distorted guitar is still in the newest mix. Trust me... you don't want to hear this one.

Last edited by Bill43 : 09-17-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #96
Slut
Can't Stop The Signal

Hey Bill, the drums just dont sound right, I dont know why. The beats fit and all, it's just the sound, and I'd rather you have no drums then stupid sounding drums, so I guess Im out...sorry.

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #97
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
hey that's awsome! i like the left to right thingey you did there

i dunno if it's cos im a little bit deaf but for future mixes, could you perhaps boost my volume a little bit more, especially when its panned to one side the volume is quite soft, no big deal though

You've been "turned up" in this version. No problem. I can actually hear you now. Before it was more of a "blend". On the very end of your riff... where you've got the single note pouring over into the chorus (your lead is in the verse), I did a full pan back into both channels. Its sort of hard to notice, with what I've done afterwards, but its there.

*edit* I knew you would pick out what I did to your riff very quickly. I just wanted to make sure that you liked the idea.

Last edited by Bill43 : 09-16-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:21 PM   #98
turinbrakes
teehee

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelOfLust
Hey Bill, the drums just dont sound right, I dont know why. The beats fit and all, it's just the sound, and I'd rather you have no drums then stupid sounding drums, so I guess Im out...sorry.

what the HELL are you talking about, there are no drums in this song......
Old 09-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #99
ohdarn323
Restlessly. Cheater.

Quote:
what the HELL are you talking about, there are no drums in this song......

he was gonna make drums for the song

josh...y'think its because theres so much chorus/reverb on the back track?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:20 PM   #100
Dromar
im sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill43
I haven't forgotten Dromar's bass licks either. I'm trying to do all this and my work too! I have to pay the bills somehow. I'll get to them ASAP and post a link here.

no problem man. my teachers were actually just on strike, so i had my first day of school today, and they have piled all the work on... so my UG time will become limited

anyway, i didnt particularly like this new intro, altho silenced and turin's guitar work is quite good. I think it was just too many things going on at once, o and i did pick up on the small out of sinc-ness of it during a few parts. But hey, thats the whole point of the point of this right? To experiment and ultimately come out with something sweet-sounding.

Last edited by Dromar : 09-16-2003 at 07:24 PM.

Rate This Thread: