Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
yuvalg
Guitar-bender
 
yuvalg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Any ideas for classical guitar pimping??

Hey guys,
im going to get an old used (and maybe shitty) classical guitar.
i want to do something easy and fun for the guitar to make it sound better, look better, and maybe some cool gadget fixed on it.
any ideas??
__________________
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
yuvalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
logicbdj
Registered User
 
logicbdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Check out the guitar pegs at www.Argentariis.com (they will custom make anything for you).
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
ExDementia
UG Freak
 
ExDementia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Wrap it in fuzzy pink material. Think ZZ-Top.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
yuvalg
Guitar-bender
 
yuvalg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
i forgot to mention cheap. a pick that costs 70 ****in dollars is way to high- i thought about some finishing i can do at home
__________________
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
yuvalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Kyleisthename
Registered User
 
Kyleisthename's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
You could make it fretless....


Also, lol at the guy suggesting $100 knobs for a cheap guitar.
__________________
My band

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
logicbdj
Registered User
 
logicbdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Well, others may be interested, and so I'm mentioning it for the benefit of all members, not just the poster.
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
yuvalg
Guitar-bender
 
yuvalg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
You could make it fretless....


Also, lol at the guy suggesting $100 knobs for a cheap guitar.


what kind of attributes does it have when fretless?
and also, what kind of attributes does a ywngie neck have? (what are they different from a regular neck)
__________________
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
yuvalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Kyleisthename
Registered User
 
Kyleisthename's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Well, a fretless has a certain growl that is pleasing to my ear.
It can make it more fun to play.

A scalloped neck is going to allow you to do bend more efficiently same as playing because you can put less power into the wood and more into the string.
__________________
My band

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
A scalloped neck is going to allow you to do bend more efficiently same as playing because you can put less power into the wood and more into the string.

He definitely won't be doing many bends with nylon strings.

That brings up another point, classical guitars don't usually have truss rods because they string tensions isn't too great, and the ebony fretboard helps to stabilize things. I would advise against scalloping because your removing the wood that stabilizes the neck. If you scallap and get a neck bow, you may as well throw the guitar away, unless you plan to install a new fretboard.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
He definitely won't be doing many bends with nylon strings.

That brings up another point, classical guitars don't usually have truss rods because they string tensions isn't too great, and the ebony fretboard helps to stabilize things. I would advise against scalloping because your removing the wood that stabilizes the neck. If you scallap and get a neck bow, you may as well throw the guitar away, unless you plan to install a new fretboard.


That goes the same for removing the frets. It isn't like an old martin or gibson with bar frets, but the frets will have an effect on keeping the neck straight. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the up bow increased when the frets were removed.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.