Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #21
robmarsden01
UG's Funky Monk

Holy wow that's cool. Matt Bellamy would be proud of that mother lol. How does the 10 mode pickup selector work? I imagine a 10-pole switch could be a bit unwieldy to use

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
robmarsden01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #22
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

The 10 modes are selected through a combination of a 5 way super switch (which is one switch with four banks of 5 connecting lugs (so has 4x(5+1) = 24 lugs to connect the wiring) and a push/pull switch on the volume knob.

So with the volume knob pushed down you can choose 5 pickup modes (with the super switch) and with it up you can choose the other 5 modes. If you follow the link under my signature below and scroll to the bottom you will see the neck pickup configuration of the 10 modes. In one of the pictures you can also see the super switch and wiring.

Regards, RJV
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #23
Vixus
Do a barrel roll!

Bloody brilliant guitar, although I don't like the chrome all that much. As long as it's functional.
Can you give us a little insight into the components and how you did the RF antenna dealie?

Gotta love Bellamy's Black Kaoss...
Vixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #24
Bobbieegay
UG Fanatic

hey RJV, its Bobby here
glad to see this posted, that pic with the Mesa looks pro as
cya later

Bobby Egg

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp

Last edited by Robbieeggo : 04-29-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Bobbieegay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #25
Diamond Dave

looks awesome, is that chrome paint with a mirror pickguard?

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #26
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

No its not paint. Its actually real steel (about 1.2mm thick) triple chrome plated (the pickguard, the headstock and truss rod covers) and then very highly polished.

It took days to hand cut and then drill and then file them all to shape.

But the end result is as tough as nails and as shiny as a mirror. Will certainly outlast any sort of reflective coated plastic. The close up angle shot of the knobs was a lucky photo - no bad reflections in the chrome. The chrome looks almost white here, but take it from me that ii is run-o-the-mill silver chrome on real steel.

Regards, RJV
Old 04-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #27
james4

wow... that's freaking awesome. Got enough wires in there?

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #28
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Yes thanks. Enough wire to last awhile.

There needed to be some extra lengths so that I could peel back some of it if I needed to get in to repair or mod it in future. It looks a bit untidy, but take it from me its not hard to follow (all colour coded, grouped, clipped etc.)

I had thought that humm and interference would be a problem but through luck or design its absolutely quiet (aided by the use of noiseless pickups and lots and lots of shielding).

Regards, RJV
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

nice work, as a fellow luthier i can appreciate the skill.

but im more in love with that road king back there...
godofshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Metal0Maniac
thinks Taft is an idiot

I don't even want to think about the time and trouble it took to piece that thing together. And the wiring looks scarier than defusing an atomic time bomb.
However, I love the final product, though the paint and shape are a little outside of my tastes.

[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Metal0Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #31
shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow

^like what was said above i'd like to know about that theremin-like antenna thing too.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
shredmeiser101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #32
Molsons Golden
UG's Resident Lush

Very well thought out plan first off. Not quite my cup of tea but it is a magnificent instrument. Obviouslly several dozen (at least) hours of planning and several thousand dollars invested in parts alone nevermind all of the man hours involved in putting this piece of art together.

Welcome to UG RJV, looking forward to more of your post in the future.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #33
guitarfan93
is guitarfan93

ugh...wow
guitarfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #34
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Reference the two questions on the RF antenna.

I purchased a ZVex Fuzz Probe which I figured is the same as a ZVex Fuzz Factory except with the addition of some folded plexiglass upon which is mounted a square copper plate connected to a small (additional) PCB inside the Fuzz Factory casing. It seemed obvious that this additional PCB provided the “logic” for the RF antenna as it had two trim pots for adjusting the antenna sensitivity and antenna LED brightness. This PCB was connected to the Fuzz Probe’s main PCB with three short wires – I think one is power, one is ground and one is the antenna signal. I extended these wires as, due to space limitations, I had to install the main PCB in line with the bridge pickup and install the RF antenna PCB closer to the antenna (roughly inline with the neck pickup). The new RF antenna is the copper sheet fixed to the upper horn of the guitar. The copper is lacquered so that it won’t tarnish – it does not rely on being grounded electrically to function, you can just wave your hand above it, tap it or slide your finger around (e.g. like a KAOSS touch pad) to change the Fuzz sound. The RF antenna is electrically isolated from the adjacent chrome pickguard – otherwise the whole pickguard (and whole guitar) becomes an RF antenna and the instrument becomes unplayable.

The main PCB has its five control pots soldered direct to the PCB. I very carefully disconnected these and reconnected them to the PCB with ribbon cable. This enabled me to position the most frequently used Fuzz controls - Stability and Compression - on the face of the guitar, separate from the Drive, Gate and Volume controls (and effect power on/off switch) in a recessed panel on the rear of the guitar. I substituted the Fuzz’s foot activated bypass switch for a miniature DPDT toggle and this is installed next to the RF antenna alongside the kill switch.

I also had to install a power on/off switches for the Fuzz (and separately for the Pitch Shifter) as it has a switchable guitar input jack when in the pedal format - so when you plug your guitar lead in to the pedal the power is switched on. With the effect hard wired inside the guitar I needed another way to switch the effect on/off.

From the outset I was concerned that the lengthening of the three interconnecting wires between the PCBs, the shortening of the wire between the small PCB and the RF antenna and the change in size and shape of the antenna would adversely affect the performance of the Fuzz. I was also concerned that the close proximity of the RF antenna to the guitar strings would be a problem, or that the RF antenna would interfere with the pickups (or vice versa), but this was not the case. I tried to get advice on this early on (before purchasing and dissecting a very expensive pedal !) in other forums but all I got was challenges (“Effects belong on the floor … why would you want to do a stupid thing like that?”) . So I pressed on regardless and through trial and error got it to work just as well as the original pedal did when it was on the floor. Mind you, I did install a lot of copper shielding (see photos at the link under my signature) – around the pickups and around the RF antenna and elsewhere, and note that the neck and middle pickups are both of the noiseless type.

The only issue I have with the Fuzz – and its only a very small issue – is that for a given set of control settings it gives a slightly different performance/sound when swapping from battery power to a power adaptor. It means that your favourite settings need to be tweaked when you switch power sources. I think this is due to the difference, however small, in supply voltage and is not an outcome of having dissected a pedal and installed it in the guitar.

Bottom line is that the RF antenna works just great. Not something to be used a lot, but it is fun to use and is definitely unique.

Regards, RJV
Old 04-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #35
Ippon
Amped

WOW!!!

Also, that Mesa Road King in the background just made me so envious. I want one.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #36
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molsons Golden
Very well thought out plan first off. Not quite my cup of tea but it is a magnificent instrument. Obviouslly several dozen (at least) hours of planning and several thousand dollars invested in parts alone nevermind all of the man hours involved in putting this piece of art together.

Welcome to UG RJV, looking forward to more of your post in the future.

Yes, lots of hours planning (and researching). And yes, a lot of money in the build (ouch, those effects were expensive ... and then to have to pull them apart and throw bits away !)

I didn't keep track of the hours but I would estimate more than 300 hours (half of this was working with a magnifying glass as I am far sighted). I really felt like giving up a couple of times but its hard to abandon something in which you have already invested a lot of time and money.

I expect it could be built in less time, but I chose to spend a lot of time testing and retesting at every stage before moving onto the next. Time well invested I think when the result was free of technical problems.

Thanks for the welcome.

Regards, RJV
Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #37
Molsons Golden
UG's Resident Lush

I have two custom built Warmoth Strats myself. The first has over 200 hours invested in reseach. My second was much easier, around 10 hours. I am very picky about components and tone.

My 2 Warmoth Strats i'm into for over 5,000 so far. Both have custom made P'ups, switching, and woods. I will never buy off the shelf again.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #38
s1yfa
Its THE not TEH goddammit

dude, that is gnarly. i dont think my house has that much wiring! the metal looks fantastic and the shape is sweet.

mucho respecto to the genius behind this build
s1yfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #39
perpetualmotion

That is freaking awesome. I can't say I have seen a guitar this awesome since I watched Muse play live. Will there be any sound clips coming our way?

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind....how much did the guy pay for this?
perpetualmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #40
xX_JIMI_Xx
o lawdy lawd

congrats on a really REALLY cool guitar
xX_JIMI_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: