Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #61
dauntz

I have it from a chap here who bicycles (on chromed steel bikes) that you can LAQUER chromed steel, and still keep the shine etc.
Try looking in a bicycle shop, or asking . . . . maybe you could ask a guitar person as well, I dunno. But yes, that is what Sam the bicycle man says.

Personally I love the guitar and I'm sure there might be improvements that are possible but honestly, it's AWESOME don't change it! good old Banshee.

Dx
dauntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #62
lilhomes

DAMN man AMAZING job.
lilhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #63
dauntz

Sam the Bicycle guru has just watched the clip of you playing with me, and he says (and i heartily agree) that you should PATENT THE THING VERY QUICKLY.
I won't say anything else, because I've just been blown away and completely amazed by it. If you don't patent it soon, someone on youtube will steal the design and make a killing. You HAVE to do something about this, patent it and then sell it to someone big. Like, Fender. Or just start your own brand. Selling it means less work and more money though. Rock on!
D
dauntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #64
binjajer
UG's unlucky luthier

DO NOT PATENT THE DESIGN!

Patenting a design is like that case when Microsoft tried to patent double-click.
Filthy.

But, why, yes... that is a good way to earn some money and get some recognition.

Plus, you should start a brand. Your work is admirable.
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
binjajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #65
Gmp211
A Master Debator

Something is happening in my pants....

But really, thats just...i...um...duh...for a lack.. of better words, ORGASMIC!!!!

And BTW, patent it. You deserve it bro.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 AM   #66
bassetrox
Executive Gnu Tracker

Lmao, i wonder who influenced this build!

Nice job mate, i love the finish. Have you been building long?

I may be pm-ing you for advice when i start my own first build later this year. Im not looking to be quite so fancy but i hope to add a couple of little quirks of my own.

Do people use zvex effects for onboard builds for a reason to do with the building process? or because the people who do onboard builds have all been inspired by muse? or because they are the kind of wacky people who like the raunchy sound?

Also, im curious, are you using a Gr33 or what unit for your midi in the Youtube video? Why cant i get mine to track so well?

Selling: Vox AD50VT

GAS: Volume, delay, Digitech Whammy,

http://www.ampworks.co.uk

Last edited by bassetrox : 05-07-2007 at 06:38 AM.
bassetrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #67
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntz
Sam the Bicycle guru has just watched the clip of you playing with me, and he says (and i heartily agree) that you should PATENT THE THING VERY QUICKLY.
I won't say anything else, because I've just been blown away and completely amazed by it. If you don't patent it soon, someone on youtube will steal the design and make a killing. You HAVE to do something about this, patent it and then sell it to someone big. Like, Fender. Or just start your own brand. Selling it means less work and more money though. Rock on!
D

Hi Dauntz,

Glad you are impressed - will look into Sam's recommendation on clear coats - but as the guitar is getting lots of use (as you would expect and know ) and the chrome is showing no signs of scratching or wear I doubt whether it will need a clear coat.

Your suggestion to patent the guitar is taken as the highest of compliments, but the stark reality of it all is that I expect it is not patentable. In the very busy world of guitar design just about everything has been done in some shape or form at least a hundred times and as much as this guitar is trully a "one-of-a kind" I expect we would be hard pressed explaining to a patent lawyer which element is trully a novel invention/design/style/whatever and can be protected. The inspiration for this guitar came from - importantly - not one, but several guitars and other areas. If Sam thinks and knows otherwise on the patent issue then have him shoot me (or you know who) an email outside this forum.

My "protection" of this design, if you like, is the fact that it took more than 300 hours over a period of 5 months to design and build, with lots of trials, failures and dead ends along the way .... you saw it when it was only half done. Not too many people would be prepared to tackle this mountain. It also cost several thousand dollars in parts. If someone is inclined to make a copy then I am honoured and flattered.

Glad you also saw the video on YouTube. When we have time we may make another - it was fun.

Regards, RJV
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #68
supergerbil
GONE!

Your midi piano sounds so realistic, what a great feature amd the organ sounds great. Love the guitar and sounds. do you just use a midi pickup for the piano/bells?

EDIT guitar and midi at once sounds so cool. an amazing build. truly amazing.

My tele/jem/jazzmaster build

Last edited by supergerbil : 05-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.
supergerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #69
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergerbil
Your midi piano sounds so realistic, what a great feature amd the organ sounds great. Love the guitar and sounds. do you just use a midi pickup for the piano/bells?

EDIT guitar and midi at once sounds so cool. an amazing build. truly amazing.

Hi. The pickup for MIDI is a Roland GK-3 which then connects (outside the guitar) to a Roland GI-20 MIDI interface which in turn is connected to a Kawai MP8 Digital Stage Piano connected to a Yamaha PA. The realistic playing/sound quality comes from the fact that the GK-3 pickup tracks very well and the piano is 192 polyphonic. If we get time to make another video we will demo some of the other MIDI sounds - most are trully amazing and mix well with guitar over the top.

Regards, RJV

Last edited by RJV : 05-09-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #70
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetrox
Lmao, i wonder who influenced this build!

Nice job mate, i love the finish. Have you been building long?

I may be pm-ing you for advice when i start my own first build later this year. Im not looking to be quite so fancy but i hope to add a couple of little quirks of my own.

Do people use zvex effects for onboard builds for a reason to do with the building process? or because the people who do onboard builds have all been inspired by muse? or because they are the kind of wacky people who like the raunchy sound?

Also, im curious, are you using a Gr33 or what unit for your midi in the Youtube video? Why cant i get mine to track so well?

Hi. No secret that some of the inspiration was drawn from Matt Bellamy's guitars. But I had some more stretching targets - I wanted the guitar to have a really high quality finish to it, and to be compact (and thin) - and therefore light in weight - despite being loaded with electronics. I was very keen to get the Fuzz RF Antenna (theremin) installed and working well - so many people told me it couldn't be done, or it would be a waste of time but this just made me more determined to do it.

This guitar took over 300 hours spread over 5 months to build. I could have adapted almost any Fuzz but chose the ZVex Fuzz Probe as it was the only one to have theremin technology built in, so I adapted this to fit in and on the guitar's upper horn.

The GK-3 pickup connects to a Roland GI-20 MIDI interface. The GI-20 allows you to adjust many parameters for each string separately (e.g. sensitivity and picking style to name just two) - not sure what the GR-33 offers here. Also, I understand that the GK-3 pickup is known to track better than the previous GK-2 or GK-2B models. Finally, I have the GK-3 set up less than 1mm from the strings - almost too close.

Regards, RJV
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #71
bassetrox
Executive Gnu Tracker

Well...

Once again, excellent job! Have you been building long?

R.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #72
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetrox
Well...

Once again, excellent job! Have you been building long?

R.

Repairing and tweaking yes, and building speaker cabs, a recording studio etc., but this is first serious guitar build. Almost tossed it in a number of times (its very hard working through a magnifying glass for weeks at a time) but stuck with it. Swore I would never build again, but ...... I already have a few ideas to stretch the technology further .

Regards, RJV
Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #73
Fd.
Macho Man

buttons, thousands of buttons *.*
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #74
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fd.
buttons, thousands of buttons *.*

Hey ..... only half that, actually ..... you included the buttons reflected in the chrome pickguard.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #75
Jasonerix

absolutely awesome~!
Jasonerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #76
LesPaulStrat
UG Fanatic

the piano and organ things was amazing. I think if you tried to mass produce this you would be a rich man.

enjoy your guitar
LesPaulStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #77
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulStrat
the piano and organ things was amazing. I think if you tried to mass produce this you would be a rich man.

enjoy your guitar

Thanks for the encouraging words !!

Actually the idea of driving a keyboard or synth from a guitar (with MIDI) is not new, but its not easy to do it well .... with a divided pickup that tracks well, a player that can adapt his/her playing style (not always necessary) for non-stringed instruments and a good sounding keyboard/synth.

Used in moderation its a great additional effect - to add another instrument subtly to the guitar sound, or to add an instrument not in the band line-up to an intro/outro or chorus.

The video gave a demo of just a few instruments but there are 128 to choose from ... soon we will make a follow up video showcasing some of the other features of the guitar and also some of the other MIDI instruments - some of the organs, the banjo, the sitar etc., all sound incredible and for the right song and with the right mix you can have a hell of a good time.

I would love to make more of these guitars, but as the first one took more than 300 hours to build I'm not itching to make another .... not just yet.

Regards, RJV
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #78
bassetrox
Executive Gnu Tracker

Hey, i know noones posted in this thread for a bit, but a couple of questions occured to me the other day

1) how deep is the body? Im just curious from the point of view of fitting electronics in.

2) How did you mange to get hold of a GK3 internal kit? I thought they werent commercially available?

3) Have you a reason for choosing GK over RMC/Graphtech piezo type synth access systems? Curious.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #79
Don_Humpador
UG Monkey

Location: battles in built demons on a daily basis. Doesn't know what to do with his life. Is ever hoping. Was also once I.O.T.M's e-wife, though that ended in suspicious circumstances. We don't talk about that any more.
What I want to know is whether or not you can get the guitar and a MIDI effect playing on top of each other. In a similar way to a standard chorus pedal would work, but with, say, violins, or the accordion. Can you do it now? Is it possible? Have you thought about it?

Great build by the way, it's really a fantastically fresh way of listening to a guitar. Despite the fact people have tried (and failed) to implement systems like yours, this one just does everything..Brilliantly!

And that fuzz! It'll blow your head off one of these days, trust me.
Don_Humpador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #80
Zero457
Fixing gear

Just had to add my comments - That guitar is cool as hell. Good job. It's the most impressive DIY thing I've seen in a while.

I'm not interested in onboard effects, but if I was... I would idolize your guitar while I build something half as cool.

Rate This Thread: