Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #81
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Humpador
What I want to know is whether or not you can get the guitar and a MIDI effect playing on top of each other. In a similar way to a standard chorus pedal would work, but with, say, violins, or the accordion. Can you do it now? Is it possible? Have you thought about it?

Great build by the way, it's really a fantastically fresh way of listening to a guitar. Despite the fact people have tried (and failed) to implement systems like yours, this one just does everything..Brilliantly!

And that fuzz! It'll blow your head off one of these days, trust me.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is absolutely possible to play the guitar and MIDI at the same time. It sounds like you haven't watched the video closely (see link below). If you watch it again you will see and hear on two or three occasions where both are played together (choir and guitar, bells and guitar). The subtitles show when the guitar is added to the MIDI (like, " .... and guitar")

There is a three way toggle switch between the guitar volume and MIDI volume knobs which enable selection of (1) guitar pickups only, (2) both guitar pickups and MIDI pickup, and (3) MIDI pickup only. And then the two volume knobs allow you to set the relative volumes of each.

The guitar pickups can be fed out through a standard guitar lead in the 1/4 inch jack or through the MIDI lead (or both concurrently actually). In the case of the MIDI lead only, this connects to a MIDI interface which in turn can connect to both a MIDI engine and a standard guitar amp ... so the guitar signal passes straight through the interface.

We will make another video with more demos of the MIDI so you might want to save the YouTube video in your favorites and check back in a week or two.
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #82
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetrox
Hey, i know noones posted in this thread for a bit, but a couple of questions occured to me the other day

1) how deep is the body? Im just curious from the point of view of fitting electronics in.

2) How did you mange to get hold of a GK3 internal kit? I thought they werent commercially available?

3) Have you a reason for choosing GK over RMC/Graphtech piezo type synth access systems? Curious.

(1) The body is only 42mm thick, which is pretty much standard (e.g. Strat, Tele, etc.). If you thought that the body was "thickened up" to accept all the electronics then that's not the case. All the electronics are squeezed into a stock thickness body (which may not be the case with Matt Bellamy's Manson .... from the photos I've seen it looks to be slightly thicker than normal.
(2) The GK3 kit is readily available in store here in Australia. Contact your local Roland distributor fro details.
(3) Didn't even look at the RMC/Graphtech systems - just fell for the GK3 as it fitted the spec ......and the owner is delighted with the results.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #83
nakki
fortytwo.

That's just. Whoa. Amazing.

How did you come up with an idea of that? ;D

nakki

I'm in middle back seat in Cheese Van club.
My band. Go on, click it.
nakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #84
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakki
That's just. Whoa. Amazing.

How did you come up with an idea of that? ;D

nakki

The owner felt limited by some of his pedal effects - there is only so much you can do with your feet. So he wanted a guitar with the effects technology built in so the switches/knobs were in easy reach. Its not a new concept, Line 6 do it, Manson Guitars do it, and I'm sure others do it. But the detailed technical design, wiring, overall styling, finish etc. of this guitar are all original. I've not seen another one like this.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #85
slashnmash
UG's C-UNiT

Absolutely incredible! Looks really fun to experiment with.
slashnmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #86
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashnmash
Absolutely incredible! Looks really fun to experiment with.

Thanks. Yes it is a lot of fun experimenting. All the effects being so close to hand takes a bit of getting used to but it is fast becoming second nature for the owner. And even without the effects it has a great feel.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #87
Kurapica

That looks incredible. I'd love to get a guitar like that, or even build one myself, but I've nowhere near the level of skill needed.

All those effects and sounds you can get must give you the world of freedom on stage. I have to make do getting weird noises using an overdrive, wah, flanger, tremolo and shedloads of feedback.
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #88
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapica
That looks incredible. I'd love to get a guitar like that, or even build one myself, but I've nowhere near the level of skill needed.

All those effects and sounds you can get must give you the world of freedom on stage. I have to make do getting weird noises using an overdrive, wah, flanger, tremolo and shedloads of feedback.

Thanks. It was more patience and time than skill - believe it or not this was the builder's very first guitar build. There was a lot of trial and error ... and going back if things didn't work out as intended. Yes the effects certainly provide a lot of choice - especially blending the different MIDI patches with the pure guitar tone.

Cheers.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #89
jack_the_ripper
it's something to do

how does that midi thing work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
jack_the_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #90
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_ripper
how does that midi thing work?

The pickup for MIDI is a Roland GK-3 (fitted between the Floyd Rose and the bridge pickup) which then connects (outside the guitar) to a Roland GI-20 MIDI interface which in turn is connected to a Kawai MP8 Professional Stage Piano connected to a Yamaha PA. You switch MIDI patches by pressing an up or down momentary push button fitted just below the Floyd Rose. The realistic playing/sound quality comes from the fact that the GK-3 pickup tracks very well and the piano is 192 polyphonic.

Its possible to play the guitar and MIDI at the same time. There is a three way toggle switch between the guitar volume and MIDI volume knobs which enable selection of (1) guitar pickups only, (2) guitar pickups and MIDI pickup, and (3) MIDI pickup only. And then the two volume knobs allow you to set the relative volumes of each.

The guitar pickups can be fed out through a standard guitar lead in the 1/4 inch jack or through the MIDI lead (or both concurrently actually). The interface also has a 1/4 inch out jack for passing the guitar signal through to a conventional guitar amp.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #91
jack_the_ripper
it's something to do

christ, you're a ****ing genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
jack_the_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #92
Latin_Morello
The Don King of melody

ALL I WANT ARE THE MIDI's ON MY GUITAR THAT"S ALL I ASK.... HOW CAN I DO THAT???
Latin_Morello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #93
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin_Morello
ALL I WANT ARE THE MIDI's ON MY GUITAR THAT"S ALL I ASK.... HOW CAN I DO THAT???

It depends on what sort of guitar you start with. If you are scratch building and want to install MIDI as an integral part of the guitar then you should buy a Roland GK-3 GT KIT.

But if you have a guitar and just want to clamp something onto it then you can do that with a Roland GK-2 or Roland GK-3. There are other brands that do a similar thing. Do a google search on Roland GK-3 and that's a good start.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #94
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

I'm tempted to build another of these guitars with a few more new ideas included.

Has anyone seen genuine carbon fibre (not immitation carbon fibre decals) used for pickguards, control cavity covers etc? Any web links?

The "high-tech" look and the light weight of carbon fibre appeals, and I think compliments this type of guitar.

Thanks, RJV
Old 06-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #95
Wyld Stallyn
Davidian Amplifiers

I can't see the weight difference between plastic and carbon fibre being too much, but the visual effect will be worth it. Real carbon fibre has a three dimensional quality to it, whereas the fake printed stuff doesn't.
I've got a little bit of experience with it, but check with proper sources first. Id take a normal pickguard and make a mould of the front face (since they have chamfered edges). Then lay a large piece over the mould so it sits in it but also goes over the edges. Add smaller pieces that are cut to shape inside the mould. then pour in the resin, making sure neither the resin nor the sheets lift out of the top. Once it's cured, trim away the excess fibre at the edge and sand the bottom face flat for fixing. Hopefully you'll have the top layer of fibres visible, and they'll wrap right around to the edge of the guard.
BTW, carbon fibres getting more and more expensive, especially for the raw materials. I was told by a friend who has more knowledge on the subject than I do that BA bought up a lot of the stock for the new airbus.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
Wyld Stallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #96
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld Stallyn
I can't see the weight difference between plastic and carbon fibre being too much, but the visual effect will be worth it .......

Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the weight .... but I was comparing the weight of carbon fibre against the weight of the chromed steel pickguard on this guitar (similar "mechanical/futuristic" look for both materials).

I've also just discovered that you can buy small ready made flat sheets of carbon fibre of varying thicknesses. I think I'll get one of those to experiment with. Cheers.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #97
Zero457
Fixing gear

I've been wanting to make a carbon fiber pickguard for a long time now... my concern is the stuff is hard to cut clean, and the edges will not look great.

I was thinking of finishing the edges of it with black paint or something... so you don't see the cut ends of the weave.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #98
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon
I've been wanting to make a carbon fiber pickguard for a long time now... my concern is the stuff is hard to cut clean, and the edges will not look great.

I was thinking of finishing the edges of it with black paint or something... so you don't see the cut ends of the weave.

Thanks. I had similar concerns, but came across this web page with some handy info on cutting and finishing carbon fibre.

Carbon Fibre Info

I also read elsewhere of someone who used very, very thin carbon fibre sheet (say, the thickness of a sheet of paper) as a pickguard and then covered that with clear acrylic sheet (say, about 1.6mm or 1/6th of an inch). You can then bevel the edges of the clear acrylic sheet. So this combination overcomes concerns about the rough edges of a thicker carbon fibre sheet.

Cheers.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #99
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Who can help?

What's the name of the tune played at the 2.08 minute mark in the following video at this link, and who palys it?

Link to Video

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #100
RJV
www.guitareasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV
Who can help?

What's the name of the tune played at the 2.08 minute mark in the following video at this link, and who palys it?

Link to Video

Thanks for your help.

Bump. can anyone help with the above?

Rate This Thread: