Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
vegasklinik

Question Question about emo...

I'm not a fan of emo music. I've heard a lot of people label it as punk, saying that it is derived from a mid-80's form of hardcore punk, labeled 'emotive harcore'. And though I have a recollection of a few Northeastern band from the early 80's which could be the inspiration for emo, I'm not so sure I would consider it 'punk' myself, yet genres confuse the hell out of me, considering they are so vague. Well, to my question: Why do you fans like emo music? This is not meant to be derogatory or demeaning in anyway, it is just a common query. Why is it that you connect with the lyrical content of 'emo'? What bands do you fans consider emo?

Another thought. I have often run across articles describing the 'emo' scene. I've always thought scenes to be very limiting and close-minded, but that is just my preference/opinion. Well, I would just like to know the basic of the typical 'emo' scene, and how most..... well whatever you diehard fans of emo call yourselves, how most of you see yourselves in other's eyes.

One last question: I'm pretty sure 'emo' fans are pretty apathetic about philosophy and politics, but I am not positive. If I am wrong, what are the majority of 'emo' fans' belief's concerning politics and philosophical theories, if any?

I'm just interested in learning about different genres of music, wether they be of my personal preference or not. This is not an insult, so please don't take offense to this thread. And if you must take offense, don't spend time insulting or trying to belittle me, because the only way in which this will effect my feelings will be me assuming that most 'emo' fans are way too emotional for their own good, and I really don't want to join the oth 65% of the population and believe this. I'm trying to be open-minded and learn to appreciate and respect your genre. Keep that in mind.

Peace

- Jon
vegasklinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Craigo
UG Spammer

Go wiki up Fugazi.

Then go listen to their music.

People misintereptated the term, and that's why it's used throughout modern Pop Punk, reguardless of it having no reference to where it came from or what real emo sounds like.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Eddy Hitler
Suicide Machine

^ ur not sayin fugazi ar "emo" ar u? cuz their not.

by the by, 2 the poster, i think Rites of Spring are a band credited w/ an early "emo" influence.Guy Picciotto played guitar 4 em, and later fugazi. tho neither were "emo", just sayin, if ur wonderin, they can b somewhat traced to modern day "Emo" influence

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!

Last edited by Eddy Hitler : 04-29-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Eddy Hitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.

I don't really understand what you're asking.

You could try the Emo Essentials for a list of emo bands and stuff.

Maybe I'm just tired but I don't understand the concept of this thread. I'm gonna leave it open for a while and see what happens, but if there's too much spam or flaming then I'll close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

the_astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
vegasklinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
Go wiki up Fugazi.

People misintereptated the term, and that's why it's used throughout modern Pop Punk, reguardless of it having no reference to where it came from or what real emo sounds like.

I know who Fugazi is, I'm not a child. I'm just trying to understand the 'scene' and why this music has become so popular. It seems something went right over my head.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Seth Shadows
G|-18b19-~~[18]pb19~~~\

I don't know why people are closed-minded personally. Emo's just as much of a genre as punk, rock, metal ect. I think its because they cant see the real meaning behind the music and think its all whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E V H 5150
Who really cares about emo? They all just sit in the corners alone anyway...

perfect example of a closed-minded person.
A7X: 0
Seth Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
Go wiki up Fugazi.

Fugazi was never considered emotive hardcore. Ian's other band Embrace was. And Guy's Rites of Spring, which Ian produced.

Anyway, it's not so much that I don't understand Emo music that I dislike it. Or because I don't consider it music, it's that after the nineties, which was full of truly miserable people, who would talk about real problems, the musicians of today seem like they're just doing it because it's what you're supposed to sing about now, and it doesn't come off as soulful as people like Layne Staley were doing it. I also have a hard time taking the music itself seriously, because the artists seemed to not take their instruments seriously, not learning the geography of their fretboards, if you will. Simple music doesn't bother me, but the musicians who play guitar now don't really seem to have a passion for it. Though, I'm sure some do. I've always felt music was about passion, which is why I could always overlook a lot of the things Ian McKaye was doing, or Patti Smith, even though it's simple: You can really feel the emotion and passion they're conveying. And it was at a time, when not everybody was doing what they were, so it doesn't seem like an act.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill : 04-29-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
vegasklinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Shadows
I don't know why people are closed-minded personally. Emo's just as much of a genre as punk, rock, metal ect. I think its because they cant see the real meaning behind the music and think its all whining.

perfect example of a closed-minded person.

Well, what is the real meaning?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
kryptonite22

threadstarter: i dont think emo in its truest sense is popular. i think the word is popular.

i know the history of the genre fairly well, but i only listen to one or two early bands so i dont know much about the early lyrical content as such apart from what ive read. for me, i relate much more to personal lyrics, and im sure that it derived from punk in the way that a lot of the early bands were DIY in spirit, and whereas the lyrics of punk were outwardly aggressive and confrontational, emo was supposed to be an inwards reflection of this to counteract it. i might be wrong, this is what i understand to be vaguely true.

i dont think you can generalise a whole group of people or fans of a music genre into political or philosophical categories. the 'metal' stereotype is of long haired guys who hate religion and sacrifice goats. which clearly isnt true, because there are a lot of christian metal bands. the attitudes of emo fans are as varied as any collection of people you'd find in life.

This month: Pacer/The Tidal Sleep/Sam Russo/Mothbites/Talons/Josh Rock Photography
kryptonite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Seth Shadows
G|-18b19-~~[18]pb19~~~\

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasklinik
Well, what is the real meaning?

There's multiple meanings to all music... even Rap. Just because more music is emotional then others doesn't mean that It's bad. It's just the issues it protrays. Emo can be alot. lets look at lyrics (which is basically the core of all emo-music. Apparently) compared to a band called "Hawthorne Heights". They Put most of their work into the lyrics. All Their pain and suffering goes into it... uhh nevermind, off topic. But asking the real meaning behind music is something you'll never get until you figure it out for yourself.
A7X: 0
Seth Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
YourLastAffront
UG Member

Fugazi are pretty emotional, but they're a post-hardcore band, bands like Dag Nasty, Embrace and Sunny Day Real Estate are often credited as being progenitors of emo. Husker Du's Zen Arcade is also credited as the first 'Emo' album.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Hitler
^ ur not sayin fugazi ar "emo" ar u? cuz their not.

by the by, 2 the poster, i think Rites of Spring are a band credited w/ an early "emo" influence.Guy Picciotto played guitar 4 em, and later fugazi. tho neither were "emo", just sayin, if ur wonderin, they can b somewhat traced to modern day "Emo" influence

Fugazi are the original emo band, dude.

Emo is very misinterpreted. It is not a person, and it's not a fashion statement (it's a ****ing deathwish, lol, MCR ain't emo, but that made me have to say it), but it is a style of music. People and clothing styles and haircuts are not emo, but should be called scene, which often the terms are misused. Emo is a style of music. That also is misused, cause most people can't think of any real emo bands. Everyone says emo will die in 2007, and it never was big. The only modern pop-punk band that is really emo that got famous is Hawthorne Heights. Emo is like Fugazi, or maybe Jimmy Eat World.

^Yea, Husker Du is early emo.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 : 04-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.

Wait, are you asking for a definition of emo, why we like it, or why it's popular?

I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

the_astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
vegasklinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Shadows
There's multiple meanings to all music... even Rap. Just because more music is emotional then others doesn't mean that It's bad. It's just the issues it protrays. Emo can be alot. lets look at lyrics (which is basically the core of all emo-music. Apparently) compared to a band called "Hawthorne Heights". They Put most of their work into the lyrics. All Their pain and suffering goes into it... uhh nevermind, off topic. But asking the real meaning behind music is something you'll never get until you figure it out for yourself.

I like that brother, I was hoping to hear something of that nature.

There is no basis to truth or knowledge. There is only oneself.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
YourLastAffront
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
^Yea, Husker Du is early emo.

Husker Du aren't emo, Zen Arcade however had some 'Emo' moments, and has been stated as an influence by many early Emo Bands.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Calling Husker Du emo is like saying the Smashing Pumpkins are emo.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
NGD1313
left & leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
Calling Husker Du emo is like saying the Smashing Pumpkins are emo.

Husker Du was very influential to the molding of the original "emo" band, that is if you understand what emo is supposed to be, not what it is being called today.

TS, I think you're being very ignorant whether or not you realize it. An emo fan, much like a metal, classic rock, or punk fan can have varying degrees of care for social and political issues. They're people, you can't label the entire group to have one train of thought. It's just stupid to even think that. The same goes for liking the modern "emo" music. Some people will connect with it because it's "hip" or "in" to like the scene. Some will connect with it because they generally like the music. You may feel that "emo" bands of today aren't passionate, and I'll agree that some bands just seem to be doing it because it's "hip" or "in". Those are usually the type of bands scene kids love, not to say that scene kids don't like the bands that you can connect with. A good example of a modern band that's often labeled emo that seems very passionate: Brand New. Listen to these guys, the instrumentation is simple for the majority of the songs, but they're is definitely more emotion in every song than most songs being made today. There are many bands like Brand New on the "emo" scene today that are genuinely passionate about the music they make.

Last edited by NGD1313 : 04-29-2007 at 06:34 PM.
NGD1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Maybe what I said about Husker Du came out wrong. I meant what the guy above me said.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
frd_marshll
i am not your friend

asking why some one likes emo is like asking why you like your music

Founder of the Conor Oberst fan boys/girls pm to join

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/nots/
frd_marshll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGD1313
Husker Du was very influential to the molding of the original "emo" band, that is if you understand what emo is supposed to be, not what it is being called today.

TS, I think you're being very ignorant whether or not you realize it. An emo fan, much like a metal, classic rock, or punk fan can have varying degrees of care for social and political issues. They're people, you can't label the entire group to have one train of thought. It's just stupid to even think that. The same goes for liking the modern "emo" music. Some people will connect with it because it's "hip" or "in" to like the scene. Some will connect with it because they generally like the music. You may feel that "emo" bands of today aren't passionate, and I'll agree that some bands just seem to be doing it because it's "hip" or "in". Those are usually the type of bands scene kids love, not to say that scene kids don't like the bands that you can connect with. A good example of a modern band that's often labeled emo that seems very passionate: Brand New. Listen to these guys, the instrumentation is simple for the majority of the songs, but they're is definitely more emotion in every song than most songs being made today. There are many bands like Brand New on the "emo" scene today that are genuinely passionate about the music they make.

Yes, and the Smashing Pumpkins were ALSO influential to what emo music is now. As was David Bowie. But would you call David Bowie emo? No. And, I wasn't referring to social or political issues, you don't want to get me started on that. And I do recall saying something along the lines of "though I'm sure some do" in regards to whether or not they have passion. For example, the members of At The Drive-In, I always felt were passionate about the whole thing, even before I knew who the Mars Volta were. So, I don't have the intention of generalizing all the artists involved. Especially since I'm aware of the fact that with the popularity of punk rock and Seattle, there were plenty of people who faked it by jumping on the bandwagon. And I realize that though the majority of the music out at the time sucked, there were still some that it really did mean a lot to, and weren't doing it for that reason. And I feel it's exactly the same today. But when I was referring to the passion of their music, I was referring to the singing and the music itself. And, I'm not criticizing their ability to play, I'm criticizing the ability to convey emotion in the songs, by singing or playing soulfully. Thus the reason I mentioned Layne Staley, as opposed to someone like Billy Corgan. Why? Layne had a much more soulful voice than Billy did. I'm not doubting whether or not Billy actually felt the way he did with his lyrics, I'm just saying: I find it boring. Same with the guitar playing, I don't feel anyone needs to play as fast as they can, or with the most notes, but I'd really like to see these people actually enjoying what they're playing. You could say, swinging back and forth, and jumping around is them getting into the music, but its not. It's getting into the performance itself, being watched. And looking cool.

Maybe I'm wrong. And if so, who cares? I was just giving a different opinion on music, and I'm not one of those people who hears what is on the radio once or twice, and then forms an invalid opinion on the subject. I'm one of those people who actually listens to it before I decide what I think. And to me, modern emo is like what Nickelback or Creed is to grunge music. Played out, and fake. There are older emo bands that I don't feel this way about, because of the way they sound. If you disagree with what I have to say, fine, but it seems to me that when all the bands that are well-known sound exactly the same, then they obviously have the passion about music that would drive them to do their own thing. The closest thing I ever see to anyone wanting to do something original is when they claim NOT to be emo, because their music is, "You know.. so much deeper than that, and it's more original." Because none of them really want to say.. Yeah, I saw something I thought was cool, and I wanted to be a part of it.

But like I said: I don't feel this way about all emo music, just a large portion of it. Which, of course would fit into what you said about "some of the bands being like that", correct? As I've already said, I'm a fan of earlier emo music. And I gave the newer stuff a chance, and I disliked it. But that's better than what a lot of people can say, ain't it?

Rate This Thread: