Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
PonyFan #187818
Banned

UG Community Video Game Album III Release Thread

Well, people, the trilogy of video game covers is now completed. I present to you, the third installation of the UG Community Video Game Cover Album series:

Here's the tracklist:

1. Hell March - Sewe Dae (Command and Conquer: Red Alert)
2. TMNT - Bearded_Seth (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game)
3. Combine Theme - Benonbass1 (Half-Life 2)
4. Lavender Town - RPGoof and N.Moss (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow)
5. Theme of Laura - llyonk55 (Silent Hill 2)
6. Brinstar - amaranth_todd (Metroid)
7. Night Highway - stratkat (Snowboard Kids)
8. Megaman X Medley - coreysMonster (Megaman X)
9. The Extreme - G!! (Final Fantasy VIII)
10. Click Clock Wood - TheReverend724 (Banjo Kazooie)
11. Lower Norfair - muffinduck01 (Super Metroid)
12. Fisherman's Horizon - whitenihilist (Final Fantasy VIII)
13. Doom Theme - king twili (Doom)
14. Dr. Wily Stage 1 - Kämpfer (Megaman 2)
15. Green Forest - Ignite (Sonic Adventure 2)
16. Flame Stag Megaman X2 - madbasslover (Megaman X 2)
17. Port Town - SteveHouse (F-Zero)

And here are the download links:

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WR5F745F
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?4or9154ad0boohs

And here is the UG Band Profile page for this album:

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ugcvgiii/

Special thanks to muffinduck01 for the tracklist and Bearded_Seth and muffinduck01 for support in uploading and organisation, not to mention their awesome album art collaboration!

This is one kickass album, folks, and even more special thanks to everyone involved and their kickass covers of these awesome tunes!!

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 03-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
PonyFan #1259247
Banned

And now I will listen.

*prepares for epicness*

Last edited by Bearded_Seth : 03-08-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Bearded_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
PonyFan #494075
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Hell March?
From Red Alert?
DOWNLOADING NAO!!
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
Hell March?
From Red Alert?

You know it, baby
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
PonyFan #1117968
Play my dudelsack

No UG page for it? I don't want to download if it's gonna be a bunch of electronic stuff again.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
No UG page for it? I don't want to download if it's gonna be a bunch of electronic stuff again.

It's actually at least 50% metal or rock covers. I explicitly stated I wanted more upbeat rockish covers for this one, and that request was definately met.

In other words, download it already you stupid swan

EDIT: and I'm making the UG page for it as we speak, it's just gonna take a couple of minutes.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
PonyFan #494075
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
You know it, baby

And it's better then I expected!
First song, and it's already a 10/10.
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
PonyFan #1120575
UG's BBW Lover

Bump for you to download and listen NOW!!!

Also, torrent on the way for the seedier people among us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
PonyFan #269463
trys hard, loves the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
I don't want to download if it's gonna be a bunch of electronic stuff again.

y u hatin

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

SteveHouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Updated the OP with a link to the album's UG profile!

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ugcvgiii/

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 03-08-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
PonyFan #1120575
UG's BBW Lover

Sorry, torrent is a no go. Not very knowledgeable about this stuff, and I failed. Hard. Just download from the mirrors. it would probably be faster anyway, knowing my internet.
Quote:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinduck01
Sorry, torrent is a no go. Not very knowledgeable about this stuff, and I failed. Hard. Just download from the mirrors. it would probably be faster anyway, knowing my internet.

No problem man, we have two download links and the UG band page for emergencies, I think that's more than enough already.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
PonyFan #1259247
Banned

I expect one of our lovely pitmonkeys to do a review asap..

</obvious seek of review for his track>

I'm currently up to Green Forest.. Brings back such good memories

Last edited by Bearded_Seth : 03-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seth
I expect one of our lovely pitmonkeys to do a review asap..

</obvious seek of review for his track>

I'm currently up to Green Forest.. Brings back such good memories

If I may be so bold as to review your track, I must say that the performance is topnotch. Unlike my cover, I hear absolutely zero mistakes in your playing, your guitar tone is consistant and enjoyable. Your mix is not perfect, however: it is severely lacking in the lower frequencies in my opinion, it's like the bass is always too quiet and the guitars are too thin to make up for the space left empty by the weak bass tone. Other than that, the snare seems a tad too weak for my tastes, but then I love a badass snare that cuts through the entire mix, which just may be a personal taste of mine. Your mix is in no way bad, don't get me wrong, and I will be the first to say how rushed and horrible the mix of my own cover is, these are just suggestions and opinions I have on how you could make your mixes even better.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
PonyFan #1259247
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
If I may be so bold as to review your track, I must say that the performance is topnotch. Unlike my cover, I hear absolutely zero mistakes in your playing, your guitar tone is consistant and enjoyable. Your mix is not perfect, however: it is severely lacking in the lower frequencies in my opinion, it's like the bass is always too quiet and the guitars are too thin to make up for the space left empty by the weak bass tone. Other than that, the snare seems a tad too weak for my tastes, but then I love a badass snare that cuts through the entire mix, which just may be a personal taste of mine. Your mix is in no way bad, don't get me wrong, and I will be the first to say how rushed and horrible the mix of my own cover is, these are just suggestions and opinions I have on how you could make your mixes even better.

That's what you get from a very tedious tracking session and cutting every few bars

I agree on my mix.. Nothing I've ever done has come anywhere near as close as to how perfect Corneria was (to my ears anyway). It's weird because that was my first fully blown original production when I was just learning, and it's come out better than the ones I try to do as best as possible these days. Weird
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seth
That's what you get from a very tedious tracking session and cutting every few bars

I agree on my mix.. Nothing I've ever done has come anywhere near as close as to how perfect Corneria was (to my ears anyway). It's weird because that was my first fully blown original production when I was just learning, and it's come out better than the ones I try to do as best as possible these days. Weird

That's pretty funny, because I think the same of Ignite's mix: his submission this time is not as awesomely mixed as his Clocktown or Darkworld covers from the previous albums, both of which I thought were pretty much near perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ignite's submissions, I just think that this one isn't as epic as his previous ones, just like I think you did a much better job at the Corneria song than on this one.

But ****ing hell who cares, you two are amongst the most epic contributors, and you do awesome jobs every single time.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
PonyFan #1120575
UG's BBW Lover

Give me a little bit, and I'll post a blow-by-blow review. it should go over better this time, as there arn't any tracks that I don't like, if you remember back to my review from last time.

It also helps that the tracks are of much higher quality this time round over all.
Quote:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
PonyFan #1460146

nothing beats...

sorry guyz.
christfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
PonyFan #187818
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christfudge
nothing beats...

sorry guyz.

actually, this cover beats it by a longshot, both in view numbers and quality:

Which was on the first album. Sorry dude.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
PonyFan #1120575
UG's BBW Lover

1. Hell March - The words "****ing Awesome" come to mind here. When I heard this track when it was posted in the production thread, I downloaded the game, and DOS box the next day to play it. Production quality is in a place that I can only dream of, and is really heavy. I think it would have been a bit better if instead of the muted strings, they were replaced with open chugs, but that's just me, and I get that you were trying to stay true to the original.

2. TMNT - Gets off to a fast start. Flawless playing, good tone. Production quality it still really good. The breakdown around 1:39 is my favorite part. A little bit more low end in this thing would have REALLY put it over the top.

3. Combine Theme - Normally, i'm not a fan of dubstep, but this is done right, at least to me anyway. I like that it focuses more on the melody rather than a beat. The G-Man samples make it really creepy too.

4.Lavender Town - CREEPY! I get some serious Trans Siberian Orchestra vibes once the guitars kick in; which is a good thing. I love the original string melody in the middle part as well, really fits with the rest of the song.

5. Theme of Laura - Nice soft rock cover. Throughly enjoyable listen. I thought that the high hat could have come down a bit, I found it to be a tad distracting. Otherwise, great playing, great tone, great feel.

6. Brinstar - Yay Metroid! Great sounding track. Really captures the feel of exploration. I really dig the sound of the synths here. The bass groves are really nice. Just an overall awesome track at the end of the day.

7. Night Highway - Not one of my favorite tracks on the album. It felt kind of....stale I guess would be the right word. Like it was a bit too predictable. Production quality is nice though.

8. Megaman X Medley - Very Nice sounding track. Sounds a bit rushed, I thought the rhythm guitars could have been a bit higher in the mix, leads were a tad sloppy as well, but perfectly good. I noticed a bit of crackle in my headphones, but sounded perfectly OK on my PC speakers and in my car. I have to express some mild disappointment, as I was looking forward to your Majora's Mask Medley, but this is still nice.

9. The Extreme - Talent! I wish I had half the chops that this guy has. However, I felt the tone was a bit "nails on chalk board-ish." A rhythm guitar would have been nice too. The piano part in the middle is really cool though.

10. Click Clock Wood - Groovy baby! The jazzy drums, bass, and piano all make really nice groove, so much so that the flute almost sounds out of place. but it is Banjo, so I guess it kinda needs to be there. Very high production quality, and a very enjoyable track.

11. Lower Norfair - THE BEST TRACK ON THE WHOLE ALBUM. Nah, not really. However, my overall impression since i'v finished this track has remained pretty high. It still sounds pretty epic to me, which was my aim as I was mixing it. I kinda wished I did a few things differently, in hindsight, but I think every artist does that.

12. Fisherman's Horizon - Nice and relaxing track. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I can hear some fuzz on the guitar track. This could have been easily fixed with a noise gate. No matter though. Excellent playing too, and good tone as well. Very warm, and the waves in the back ground makes for some nice atmosphere.

13. Doom Theme - One of my favorite pieces of video game music. There have been numerous covers of this over the years, but this is probably my favorite of all the ones iv heard. I felt that the outside noises could have been lower, and were a bit distracting, but the tone and drums make up for it in a big way. Letting the cymbal ring out all the way at the end would have been a good thing too me thinks.

14. Dr. Wily - Great playing, good tone, but there is such a thing as too fast, and it kinda applies here. It sounds kinda rushed, and I felt that the leads could have been higher in some parts. Still a great track overall.

15. Green Forest - A good track taken from a game with too many good tracks to choose from. I think that the title track "Live and Learn" would have been a better choice, but that's just me. Anyway, simple and no non sense cover. Enjoyable, but I do prefer the original by a small margin, which is unusual from these albums.

16. Megaman X 2 - Not familiar with this track as much as I am with the rest, as it was a late submission after I got the final tracks to try and put together a track list. Anyway, good playing and arrangement. I felt it could have been sped up a tad in the begging, but as it is, it's rather enjoyable. The rhythm guitars are a bit muddy, but they just be because of the tuning, which sounds ungodly low.

17. Port Town - For whatever reason, this sounds unnecessarily creepy. Almost like it was taken from a survival horror game rather than a racing game. This made for an unusual, but enjoyable listen. The bass(?) behind the main melody sounds really cool and funky to me, and is my favorite part of the song.

Overall guys, outstanding work. I am a bit nit-picky in here, I know, but each and everyone of these tracks can stand on its own, I think.

And also, WTF pit? Why you no download album?
Quote:

Rate This Thread: