Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM   #1
rbtallini

$85 a deal on an FG700s?

So, I've just picked up playing a week ago starting on a Yamaha F335 I got at GC FOR $99. And I was just scoping out CL, and saw the step up for only $85 listed as excellent condition.
I was thinking about checking out the FG700s and if I like it maybe return the F335. Wouldn't mind some advice, I put some new strings on, and I think i threw away the receipt, but should still be ok to return.

Thanks
rbtallini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #2
MeGaDeth2314
hella music nerd hmu

I would wait until you have been playing a bit longer to decide whether or not you want to upgrade. A week isn't a very long time. You could decide at some point that you don't want to continue playing, and then you will have wasted $85
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM   #3
rbtallini

But I'm already out on the $100 i spent on my current guitar. I hear the FG is better for beginners, and just all round. Perhaps I am being hasty, just like to get the most bang for my buck, and I've been a little discouraged the action on my current guitar is a bit high, even after sanding the saddle, and messing with the truss.
rbtallini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #4
MeGaDeth2314
hella music nerd hmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtallini at #33476829
But I'm already out on the $100 i spent on my current guitar. I hear the FG is better for beginners, and just all round. Perhaps I am being hasty, just like to get the most bang for my buck, and I've been a little discouraged the action on my current guitar is a bit high, even after sanding the saddle, and messing with the truss.

It's ultimately up to you. Beginner guitars aren't going to feel perfect, that's why they're cheap. If you really don't like the feel of your current guitar, then maybe it's worth it. After looking up both guitars, there doesn't seem to be much difference between them. They both have good reviews for beginner guitars, and retail price is only about $50 difference.

Either way, play it first before you decide. That is really the only way to know if it will be worth it.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM   #5
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

If you've sanded the saddles, you can probably forget about returning it. Plus, the truss rod is NOT for adjusting action.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM   #6
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
If you've sanded the saddles, you can probably forget about returning it. Plus, the truss rod is NOT for adjusting action.

This and...
Sanding a saddle to remove burrs is fine.
Sanding them to lower the action is a bad idea.
Adjusting or modifying parts before you know what their actual function is is also not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #7
chrismendiola
CHRI$ MON€YDOLLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtallini at #33476829

You've made a mistake messing with guitars since you've only had one for a grand total of one week. You've very likely just broken the return policy and now you're stuck with the guitar (or you'll have to sell it privately, and who wants an F335?).

With that said, I've owned an FG700 and I think it's a great value for money, even at the $300 I paid for it. It's very versatile and well suited for beginners.

Str8 up gunnin' down these nerds
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: