Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
DigUpHerBones
I don't like The Misfits.

The ONLY Body Modification, Tattoos and Piercings Thread ver. 2!

Gauge to mm conversion chart

20g = 1mm
18g = 1.2mm
16g = 1.4mm
14g = 1.6mm
12g = 2mm
10g = 2.4mm
8g = 3.2mm
6g = 4.1mm
4g = 5.2mm
2g = 6.5mm
0g = 8.3mm
00g = 9.5mm
000g = 10.4mm
7/16" = 11.1mm
1/2" = 12.7mm
9/16" = 14.3mm
19/32" = 15.1
5/8" = 15.9mm
3/4" = 19.1mm
7/8" = 22.2mm
15/16" = 23.8mm
1" = 25mm
etc.

Out of interest:
Gn = 0.005 mm x 25.4 x 92^36-n/39

Stretching lobe piercings:

Stretching using tapers & general stretching information
Tapers are these things

They come in all different sizes, and are many people's preferred method for stretching piercings. In my opinion, tapers should be used once the piercing is stretched a bit itself and just needs a bit of help to fully get to the size up.

Always wait until your piercing is completely healed before stretching. For lobe piercings, this will be 6-10 weeks at a minimum (it really depends on your body). Then wait another month to let it settle.

You should always stretch the amount that is comfortable for your body: there should be no pain. The best thing to do is stretch each gauge or mm at a time, skipping none. Some people can comfortably stretch their lobes 2mm at a time, but that doesn't mean it's going to work on you or that it's a good idea if it does. 1mm at a time will be better for the piercing than 2mm at at time, 0.5mm better than that etc. The gauge/mm sizes above are those that you're likely to find jewellery in, and they're a good measure until they start skipping mm. You might think this size is so small it means nothing, but it's not. Remember that when talking of stretching you are actually changing the size of the piercing by the change in circumference of the jewellery, not the diameter.

When stretching your lobes, basically just listen to your body. Don't stretch more than 2mm a month, but don't expect to be able to stretch 2mm (or even always 1mm) a month. If you're trying to stretch and it doesn't like it then stop, and wait a couple of weeks at the least before trying again. You don't want to **** it up, right? I stretched too quickly at first because I was impatient and paid for it with thin lobes that were in a generally bad state. They got infected and I lost 16mm. Some people can get away with treating their piercings like crap and others can't, but whether you're one of the people able to do so or not, I'd still say it's best to try being patient with your body once in a while. If the piercing is still healing from the last stretch, or has only just finished healing, then just don't stretch again for a bit. It needs some time to settle down and get back to normal. If you don't give them that time then stretching can tear the fistula of the piercing really badly, and can even lead to something called a 'blowout' where the inside of the piercing moves outside. There are ways to help when you have problems, but many problems cause long-term damage like thinness and can make you lose lots of previous stretching, so it's best to avoid them altogether by listening to your body and being patient! Remember that if you go above 8/10mm you're going to have these forever, so you don't want to mess it up. You have forever, therefore a bit of patience isn't a problem!

If you really think it is, here's a lovely selection of images to make you really want to stretch too fast.

To stretch, have a shower/bath, massage your piercing(s) with clean hands (use anti bac soap on your hands), then lube up the taper with a non-water (non-heat) based lubricant, just a thinnish coating, and push it though. It shouldn't hurt. Expect an slightly uncomfortable feeling, perhaps slight itchiness, but no bleeding. Put the jewellery on the end of the taper and slide it through.

Stretching using tape

Another method of stretching (the one I favour) is using tape. Once you get to bigger sizes it's cheaper and quite often better for your lobes as you don't end up having to skip sizes all over the place and can suit how much & often you stretch better to how your piercings heal.

You can usually start using start using tape around 6-8mm, depending on how good your coordination is for getting the tape on. In this method of stretching you just put a wrap of tape around your plugs every few of days/week, allowing them time to breathe (if you're having any trouble putting the taped plugs in your lobes, wait longer between adding each layer). A small roll of PTFE tape (often called plumber's tape) only costs a few quid from hardware shops, but for some people comes with the problem of sticking to your skin. Bondage tape is self-adhesive and so doesn't have this problem, and costs about a tenner for a fair sized roll that will last aaaaaages.

Aftercare

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_Aftercare

- Something obvious: Keep your piercings clean. Clean your hands, then clean the jewellery, and do this often
- Use sea salt soaks (http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Salt_soaks) for the full duration of the healing period
- If you have dry skin/eczema, just soak with boiled water as salt will dry out your skin more
- Materials like acrylic and wood aren't suitable for wearing in healing piercings as they are porous and can't be sterelised, and can therefore store infections
- Surgical grade steel, glass, PTFE and titanium are just great
- Using oils like http://onetribe.nu/item/165 can help keep your piercings really clean and elastic and can aid stretching (I personally love those ones)

Last edited by DigUpHerBones : 10-21-2011 at 05:11 AM.
DigUpHerBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Digup- use a mix of sea salt and tea tree oil. Works a treat with infections.

Woohoo, looking forward to my next tattoos... bass clef behind the ear, the Co&Ca keywork on my inside right elbow and I may have some of the lyrics to "Black" by Pearl Jam spiralling round my left calf

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
DigUpHerBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Digup- use a mix of sea salt and tea tree oil. Works a treat with infections.

I used to use that and it didn't work so my piercer told me to switch to using savlon. Might try it again though.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
melodicVmetal
I play guitar

i want to get a tattoo of that wave painting, like going down my right bicep
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
irongoat666
I love my brick!

bass clef sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I've been planning on getting a Maiden tattoo for a while now, perhaps on my lower right arm. It's entirely because of them that I really got into music and decided to play guitar. I know you see Maiden tattoos everywhere, but I don't care, I want one

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

irongoat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
tawermeister

i doubt many people have this at all, but steroid cream is magical, literally gets rid of the infection within 2-3 days maximum, i only have it cos i had some rash on my knuckles, oh it works good on rashes too hah.

but yeh im thinking of getting an industrial and maybe another tragus, bad thing about a tragus is that its so hard to listen to earphones.
tawermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongoat666
bass clef sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I've been planning on getting a Maiden tattoo for a while now, perhaps on my lower right arm. It's entirely because of them that I really got into music and decided to play guitar. I know you see Maiden tattoos everywhere, but I don't care, I want one

I've never actually seen a Maiden tattoo, lol

AND SEE YOU AT DOWNLOAD MY FRIEND

Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
irongoat666
I love my brick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
I've never actually seen a Maiden tattoo, lol

AND SEE YOU AT DOWNLOAD MY FRIEND

YEAH MAN, BRING IT ON

lol I've seen a few kicking about. One crazy guy ran up to me at a Muse gig, as I was wearing a Maiden shirt, and started screaming "IRON ****ING MAIDEN" lifted up his shirt and he had Eddie all over his back 'twas amazing I tell thee.

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

irongoat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
DigUpHerBones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawermeister
i doubt many people have this at all, but steroid cream is magical, literally gets rid of the infection within 2-3 days maximum, i only have it cos i had some rash on my knuckles, oh it works good on rashes too hah.

but yeh im thinking of getting an industrial and maybe another tragus, bad thing about a tragus is that its so hard to listen to earphones.

Even harder with an anti-tragus haha.

I have loads of steroid cream, but it's extremly strong (for pretty bad eczema) so I don't dare use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongoat666
YEAH MAN, BRING IT ON

And see you there too.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
Mistress_Ibanez

Damn all you rich folk with your download tickets.

I'm getting my lip pierced soon. I'm a bit worried about how it will effect work, how soon does it take to heal so you can put a retainer in it?
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
Damn all you rich folk with your download tickets.

I'm getting my lip pierced soon. I'm a bit worried about how it will effect work, how soon does it take to heal so you can put a retainer in it?

6 weeks roughly is recommended, that's all I know, and I followed that religiously I've had it nearly 2 years now, but I can't keep a piercing out for that long cos it starts closing up FAST, and repiercing the lip hurts a lot.

And rich? This is my student loan money, lol

Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
DigUpHerBones

It should take 6 to 8 weeks to heal, but be carefully when changing jewellery, they're supposed to heal damned quickly. You could also ask to have it pierced with a retainer.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Mistress_Ibanez

I'd rather go to bloodstock, don't like half the bands at download this year anyway.

How fast does it heal if you take it out? I would imagine quite fast what with it being mouth tissue and stuff. On the other hand, i would think after piercing that would make it heal faster....
Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
I'd rather go to bloodstock, don't like half the bands at download this year anyway.

How fast does it heal if you take it out? I would imagine quite fast what with it being mouth tissue and stuff. On the other hand, i would think after piercing that would make it heal faster....

I took it out for a 6 hour work shift, and f*ck me, I was surprised.

And I may go to Bloodstock as well this year, if Sworn Amongst play again. They're my mate's cousin's band... they nearly won the Snicker's Unsigned competition in 2005 for Download, and they got bumped to Bloodstock main stage last year.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
DigUpHerBones

I know people who have had theirs closed up after just a couple of minuites, and people who could still put in jewellery after like a year... so it's basically pretty random but usually very quickly.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
blackenedktulu
UG's Guy who plays guitar

I have both ears stretched to 6mm (Soon 8) and a labret piercing.

Had my nose pierced but I left it heal up, it wasn't that nice on me.

I wanna get either my nipples pierced or surface piercings on my arms, around my wrist...

My question is... How long do they take to heal/pain rating?

That just seems kinda rude.

My first guitar mod.

NINTENDOISM
blackenedktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Mistress_Ibanez

Hmm. Oh and surface piercing on your wrist you say? BEWARE!!

Ah crap. I can't find a picture. Well it's not nice. they split and it's very gory, hence why I'm no longer getting a surface piercing on my chest.

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 05-02-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
DigUpHerBones

Quote:
Hmm. Oh and surface piercing on your wrist you say? BEWARE!!

*goes off to photobucket that pic of my friends split piercing*

I would like to see that. For the hell of seeing it.

Met a guy with perfect wrist surface piercings done by a stoned guy in Warrington once... Thought I'd say that.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #19
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigUpHerBones
I would like to see that. For the hell of seeing it.

Met a guy with perfect wrist surface piercings done by a stoned guy in Warrington once... Thought I'd say that.

well, that's Warrington for ya

Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Mazzakazza
UG Fanatic

I'm getting a tremolo bar inserted through my navel. And changing my abdominal muscles into a fretboard. I may also get my chin and stomach pierced 6 times each and lay guitar strings across.

No, not really.

Do you like Electronic music?
Try some of mine
Mazzakazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: