Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #14001
benx3000
Wow, I can get sexual too

So like 2 days after getting my new tattoo I stopped wearing a bandage and it faded... still looks fine, just not great though. ****ing sucks man. Has this happened to anyone else?
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

benx3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #14002
anarkee
oh the horror!

Is it faded "scabby" or just faded? Tattoos do go through a healing process where they scab over, the scabs fall off and the tattoo remains. But if you are concerned, talked to your artist and make sure you continue to follow their instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #14003
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benx3000
So like 2 days after getting my new tattoo I stopped wearing a bandage and it faded... still looks fine, just not great though. ****ing sucks man. Has this happened to anyone else?

bandage? you mean the plastic wrapper?
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #14004
drdoom8793
UG's Morokei

So I had my ears stretched to 0s, took em out and let em close up. Kinda regretting it now
drdoom8793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #14005
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom8793
So I had my ears stretched to 0s, took em out and let em close up. Kinda regretting it now

Just stretch them (butt)holes open! again
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #14006
DempseyPunk
go fly some kites

Quote:
Originally Posted by benx3000

1. Its healing, relax. Its gonna look a little faded for a while
2. why did you wear a bandage over it, especially that long? You can take off the cling wrap/bandage after a couple hours
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
DempseyPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #14007
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DempseyPunk
1. Its healing, relax. Its gonna look a little faded for a while
2. why did you wear a bandage over it, especially that long? You can take off the cling wrap/bandage after a couple hours

This! Why do you wear a bandage over your new tattoo? It heals better if it can breath.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #14008
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Because of the risk of infection, bleeding and due to you stopping the healing process by removing the scab.

Wounds don't heal better when they can breathe, that doesn't even mean anything. Oxygen is delivered to skin internally via the blood stream, not externally. All wounds should be covered so they can heal with as little contamination from foreign bacteria as possible until the healing process can start.

Admittedly, the healing process will start quite quickly after a tattoo and after a matter of hours, or a day its usually fine to remove the bandage, but that's why people keep it on.

Most people don't bother at all. Do what your tattoo artist suggests or even better, consult a Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-08-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #14009
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Because of the risk of infection, bleeding and due to you stopping the healing process by removing the scab.

Wounds don't heal better when they can breathe, that doesn't even mean anything. All wounds should be covered so they can heal with as little contamination from foreign bacteria as possible until the healing process can start.

You should leave the plastic wrapper on for a couple of hours. Not put a bandage on it for a couple of days!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #14010
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Sorry, I edited.

I've seen some people come out of getting a tattoo with bandages. As far as I know the plastic is a substitute for the bandage.

The cling film isn't sterile so it defeats the point really.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-08-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #14011
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I edited.

I've seen some people come out of getting a tattoo with bandages. As far as I know the plastic is a substitute for the bandage.

The cling film isn't sterile so it defeats the point really.

yeah i can understand you have to cover up your fresh tattoo if you have to do some dirty work, but if you just sitting at home you dont need it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #14012
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

What about getting home? If you go to the toilet? Etc etc.

Even minor wounds are at risk of infection, cutting your toenails too short and breaking the skin a little usually results in a small infection because your shoes are dirty and you walk over all dirty floors.

Just do as they advise, but that's the reason. 2 days is probably overkill, but that's because people don't know why they have the cling film on!

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #14013
desperatechris
Banned

On the toilet? why whould you have your anus tattooed?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #14014
DempseyPunk
go fly some kites

Quote:

Wounds don't heal better when they can breathe, that doesn't even mean anything. Oxygen is delivered to skin internally via the blood stream, not externally. All wounds should be covered so they can heal with as little contamination from foreign bacteria as possible until the healing process can start.

Admittedly, the healing process will start quite quickly after a tattoo and after a matter of hours, or a day its usually fine to remove the bandage, but that's why people keep it on.

Most people don't bother at all. Do what your tattoo artist suggests or even better, consult a Doctor.
You should remove the bandage/whatever after a couple hours, clean the wound(no scented soaps), then coat it lightly/thinly with something like aquaphor or whatever works for you. it isnt a normal cut dude, you want to keep it moist and breathing. Otherwise have fun risking scar tissue and faded ink.
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
DempseyPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #14015
anarkee
oh the horror!

As stated above, part of most aftercare routines is to clean your tattoo carefully several times a day and keep it moisturized. I usually only keep cling on for 3 hours and then 3 weeks of the wash and moisturize routine. Doing that and avoiding swimming or soaking in tubs or pools will do the trick to keep out infection and promote healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #14016
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Nothing will happen if you keep it covered for a day. If it's kept clean and covered that's the best way to promote healing and to minimise the risk of infection.

Scar tissue will not form if you keep it covered, most creams act as a sealant that stops the wound from coming into contact with foreign bacteria. That's what an aseptic dressing does, but it's better because it's an aseptic barrier.

I don't see how covering it up will cause scar tissue, that's not why scar tissue forms. And again, skin doesn't breathe.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but from my professional point of view, a wound is always at a less risk of infection when covered and by keeping it covered and clean, or aseptic, is the only way to promote optimal healing.

If you have different evidence please share it. All that being said, the healing process will start quite quickly, so you can uncover it without risk of infection quite soon, but I'd still say that if you were to regularly clean it, apply an antiseptic cream and cover it up, that's the best way. Maybe it's overkill, but it's based on solid evidence.

Serious question: How can the colour fade if it's covered up for a few hours or a day? I was always told to keep it out of the sun for a while and I've got quite a few tattoos from a few different artists.

I'm open to new information so if this doesn't apply to tattoos please correct me with the evidence, I'm just trying to apply my own knowledge to this pretty similar situation and learn new stuff when I can.

This is one of my tattoos, it needs colouring, I've been lazy for a year.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #14017
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Nothing will happen if you keep it covered for a day. If it's kept clean and covered that's the best way to promote healing and to minimise the risk of infection.

Scar tissue will not form if you keep it covered, most creams act as a sealant that stops the wound from coming into contact with foreign bacteria. That's what an aseptic dressing does, but it's better because it's an aseptic barrier.

I don't see how covering it up will cause scar tissue, that's not why scar tissue forms. And again, skin doesn't breathe.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but from my professional point of view, a wound is always at a less risk of infection when covered and by keeping it covered and clean, or aseptic, is the only way to promote optimal healing.

If you have different evidence please share it. All that being said, the healing process will start quite quickly, so you can uncover it without risk of infection quite soon, but I'd still say that if you were to regularly clean it, apply an antiseptic cream and cover it up, that's the best way. Maybe it's overkill, but it's based on solid evidence.

Serious question: How can the colour fade if it's covered up for a few hours or a day? I was always told to keep it out of the sun for a while and I've got quite a few tattoos from a few different artists.

I'm open to new information so if this doesn't apply to tattoos please correct me with the evidence, I'm just trying to apply my own knowledge to this pretty similar situation and learn new stuff when I can.

This is one of my tattoos, it needs colouring, I've been lazy for a year.

Nice ink!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #14018
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Thanks,

Does need work. I think I'll finish it off in the next month. 4 hours I reckon.

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #14019
desperatechris
Banned

those 4 hours of pain will be worth it though
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #14020
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea, that's really my upper limit. I start to really lose the will to live at around 3 and a half.

I'll try and do it in one sitting though.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: