Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #61
Yiggity Yins

One thing I admire about Hendrix is how he makes race not matter. When u think about Jackie Robinson, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan any person who was great at something and also a minority thats one of the first things that comes to mind (ashamed to say) but with Hendrix, it isn't something you completely forget but its something that isn't a big deal its just kinda there. I think its really cuz of how powerful his music is and how much feelings it expresses makes you forget about the fact that he was a black male in a time when blacks were looked down upon.
Yiggity Yins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #62
Guns N Roses
There Was A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase23
I actually watched it a few days ago and thought it was done quite well. I thought some of the live playing could have looked better, but he did a lot of Jimi's stage moves pretty well. Overall, I liked it.

The movie is called Hendrix. And I liked it as well. That at certain angles he looked and acted just like him.

Also about race not comig to mind when thinking bout him, same thing hear. Most people think first off about his music and don't even think about his color. Also from what I've heard and read he did have a lot of trouble playing in the south in his time with instances such as cops refusing to do security for his show because he was balck with white people were even mad at him for playing the music he did because they either felt he was spreading "black music" or ruining music that whites played.
Guns N Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #63
Yiggity Yins

Yeah I can't really say how ppl might of felt back then about Jimi's race, that might be different (idk i wasn't alive) but like now you don't really think about it. More about his image rather than his skin color.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #64
RHCP94
So hood rich

Jimi Hendrix is one of my favorite artists of all time. My favorite album is Axis: Bold As Love. Its so strong and melodic and beautiful. Its rather underrated due to the fact is smashed between two hard rock benchmarks (Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland) I own all of his albums and they are some of the most enjoyable peices of music I have ever heard.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #65
Yiggity Yins

^agreed. I think thats my favorite album too. Its not as loud as some of his other songs but most of all it just seems much better rhytmically. Idk just my opinion tho
Old 05-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #66
5kuzgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic1
Does anyone know what the effect at the end of Bold As Love is? I love that ending part and that effect makes it sound VERY trippy.

Pretty sure its a flanger.
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
5kuzgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #67
therussian
For the Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Roses
Also about race not comig to mind when thinking bout him, same thing hear. Most people think first off about his music and don't even think about his color. Also from what I've heard and read he did have a lot of trouble playing in the south in his time with instances such as cops refusing to do security for his show because he was balck with white people were even mad at him for playing the music he did because they either felt he was spreading "black music" or ruining music that whites played.

Most likely the former, becauseeven the most uneducated redneck probably knew that rock was based off of the blues.
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
therussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #68
fadingboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened5150
Why should there be a huge Hendrix thread? Just post a thing about Weed & Feedback; that's all he was. It was a lot of noise, pointless noise. You people are too wrapped up in stuff that is overated and not that great. You need to look at the big picture instead of being glued to this pointless propaganda. Just because VH1 puts Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sabbath up in their top choices does NOT mean they are that great.

I hate people like this. You listen to Wild Thing and Purple Haze and think 'hey I can play that riff, the solo's not too hard either...damn...Hendrix isn't that great, he's not even half as fast as Malmsteen!!' Then you completely ignore his beautiful songs (Little Wing, his cover of Like A Rolling Stone, Castles Made of Sand, The Wind Cries Mary etc.) which evoke the most beautiful emotions, songs which only Hendrix (sorry but I've never heard another guitarist who could ever even come close to writing those songs) could create. He wasn't just distortion and playing with his teeth! He was an artist.
fadingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #69
LauIsSedated
Mr. Tambourine man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingboy
I hate people like this. You listen to Wild Thing and Purple Haze and think 'hey I can play that riff, the solo's not too hard either...damn...Hendrix isn't that great, he's not even half as fast as Malmsteen!!' Then you completely ignore his beautiful songs (Little Wing, his cover of Like A Rolling Stone, Castles Made of Sand, The Wind Cries Mary etc.) which evoke the most beautiful emotions, songs which only Hendrix (sorry but I've never heard another guitarist who could ever even come close to writing those songs) could create. He wasn't just distortion and playing with his teeth! He was an artist.

Quoted for the Gospel $$$$in truth.

Please, crit my song!
Vision at the Stairs
LauIsSedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #70
Yiggity Yins

Yeah you obviously don't kno much about him if u think he was all distortion
Old 05-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #71
belavista man
--{The UK Reviewer}--

There was a program on the tele last night about Hendrix... it was well sad lol. There's a thread on it in The Pit... Seven Ages Of Rock, it's called

Member Number 6 Of The "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub

POLICE till I die!
belavista man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #72
sam i am
psychedelic peace warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMize15
So I'm watching VH1 Classic's "One Hit Wonders" show... and I just heard one of the most interesting music facts I've heard in a loooong time...

Jimi Hendrix only cracked the Top 20 on the charts ONCE...with a cover song...Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"

hmmm, i'm pretty sure I read his first hit Hey Joe got to number 6, but that was in britain and maybe VH1 refer to america.

^^^ free downloads ^^^
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #73
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

So, which version of Red House does everyone prefer?

I'm partial to the sloppier one on the Blues record.

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Cptbeefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #74
LesPaulLover123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened5150
Why should there be a huge Hendrix thread? Just post a thing about Weed & Feedback; that's all he was. It was a lot of noise, pointless noise. You people are too wrapped up in stuff that is overated and not that great. You need to look at the big picture instead of being glued to this pointless propaganda. Just because VH1 puts Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sabbath up in their top choices does NOT mean they are that great.

Try playing this pointless noise and you will see why he is great. And if great musicians like Buddy Guy, and Jim Morrison respect him, then he must have been good. I also can't stand VH1, and, athough I am not a huge fan of Hendrix as far as his overall sound, he was hands down the most skilled guitarist that ever lived. Zeppelin are my favorite too, I actually just fell into them when I heard Whole Lotta Love for the first time in about 4 years, and was instantly hooked. You just don't have the mind to appreciate good music. Although I don't even know is this is true, VH1 wouldn't rate them high if they weren't good.
LesPaulLover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #75
sam i am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptbeefheart
So, which version of Red House does everyone prefer?

I'm partial to the sloppier one on the Blues record.

Do you mean the Electric Church one? I think that's on the blues CD. Whatever, it's my favourite. The intro makes my hair stand on end.

^^^ free downloads ^^^
Old 05-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #76
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

There are a couple versions of Red House on the Blues CD. There is one just titled "Red House" and that is my favorite. Very sloppy playing but it reveals Jimi's soul.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #77
sam i am

Yeah. I think the one just called Red House is the album version, not sure though. I prefer the electric chirch one cos it's longer but not too long and beacuse I think his improv is great on it. But I like both.

^^^ free downloads ^^^
Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #78
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef

The one called Red House is the album version but it is obviously an alternate take. I like both a lot too, I just prefer one a little more than the other.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #79
Yiggity Yins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic1
Does anyone know what the effect at the end of Bold As Love is? I love that ending part and that effect makes it sound VERY trippy.

k so I talked to my guitar teacher about this today. Im just starting to learn the second solo. First off hendrix is playing 2 strings and bending the lower string of the two a full step. Starts out like this and you are bending the 2nd string a full step. (btw another example of this is Dazed and Confused right before the solo)
|-9-------|
|-(12)---|
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|

There is also flanging going on but its not electronic its like old school flanging. They would take the two tapes and put them in sync at first and then they would allow one of the tapes to become slightly out of sync (but not to the extent of echo or delay) to create the sound. You can hear it on the drums too. If you really want ill finish the tab for the ending solo but my teacher hasn't given me the full thing yet. Just PM if u care that much.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #80
Antroid
Daytripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingboy

You are an idiot, when you were writing this I hope you equiped your flame shield... first off Malmseen is ****E compared to jimi Hendrix. Jimi played with so much emotion that you can't see it and you'de rather go watch some asshole playing so fast that his fingers set alight and by the end of his songs you don't have any insight into his soul or his feelings...you suck

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
Antroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: