Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Alexander_BR's Jem Project

You guys might know me since I hang around here quite a bit, anyway I just bought a guitar body and neck from the factory closeout at guitarfetish.com, in case you are curious it is the Unfinished Jem style Body- Mahogany over Poplar and Lightning Bolt Inlay 24 fret square end neck, my dad bought these and they will hand around in Montreal until I go there next time to visit my dad, which is the only drawback cause it may be only in december when i actually start.

So I made this thread to announce and to get and share ideas.

So far I have only the neck and body ready, I have to decide pups, hardware and finishing.


So share your opinions, I'm leaning towards a Dimarzio X2N and Paf Pro and I feel like doing a swirl finish.

edit: APRIL 2009

Quick faq on some common question:

1- The swirl was done with the PROJECT GUITAR TUTORIAL

2- For the oil paint I used TREMCLAD , one can white one black. This paint was bought in Canada, not sure if you can get it in the USA.

3- You have to use liquid paint, nothing from a tube will work, it is too solid and dense
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude

Last edited by Alexander_BR : 04-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
I got the same stuff you did, except the body is all poplar.
For pups, depends on how it's routed. If it's routed HSH, get a couple of pafs and a sensor or something, slap on a floyd rose trem, maybe some onboard effects.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
I got the same stuff you did, except the body is all poplar.
For pups, depends on how it's routed. If it's routed HSH, get a couple of pafs and a sensor or something, slap on a floyd rose trem, maybe some onboard effects.



Hve you got it yet? If so how was the quality?

Anyway, it has a swimming pool routing, which kinda sucks since I wanted to put a transparent pickguard, but since I don't have any solid plans yet I would like to hear some ideas.
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
One of my schoolmates ordered the Ibanez-style body and neck. The body has some dings/dents, easy to fix if re-finishing. The big challenge is the neck, specifically the frets. Putting a ruler on top, we saw the frets were uneven or not sunk at the same level. In addition, it needs dressing since the edges are not filed evenly. Oh well, it's inexpensive and maybe he was just unlucky.

Hope yours is better.

__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
My body and neck are coming tommorow. There was a 36 buck neck and a 48 buck one. I got the more expensive one, hopefully that means that they pre dressed them.

The body I got doesn't need a pickguard, so i'm safe :P.
For a pickguard, maybe find a mirror finish one.
I'll post about the stuff once i get it!
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)

Last edited by darkarbiter7 : 05-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
One of my schoolmates ordered the Ibanez-style body and neck. The body has some dings/dents, easy to fix if re-finishing. The big challenge is the neck, specifically the frets. Putting a ruler on top, we saw the frets were uneven or not sunk at the same level. In addition, it needs dressing since the edges are not filed evenly. Oh well, it's inexpensive and maybe he was just unlucky.

Hope yours is better.




So I guess a fret changing will be needed?

How hard is it to change the frets?

Also did the body and neck look or feel cheap besides the bad fretting?
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
I got my stuff today!
The body is excellent. Very well carved and finished. the finish looks like something you'd see in a bowling ball from the 80's, but it's sweet. nice cream binding too!
As for the neck, all the frets are even, the fingerboard is finished (i think), and there is already holes for tuners. Looks like it needs a bit of sanding to make the nut fit, and to have it go in well into the neck pocket, but that's little stuff. Also, it had some of this crusty white crap on the frets, i assume it's clear coat from when they finished the neck, but that came off with about 10 minutes of scraping with a pick.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
I got my stuff today!
The body is excellent. Very well carved and finished. the finish looks like something you'd see in a bowling ball from the 80's, but it's sweet. nice cream binding too!
As for the neck, all the frets are even, the fingerboard is finished (i think), and there is already holes for tuners. Looks like it needs a bit of sanding to make the nut fit, and to have it go in well into the neck pocket, but that's little stuff. Also, it had some of this crusty white crap on the frets, i assume it's clear coat from when they finished the neck, but that came off with about 10 minutes of scraping with a pick.



Good to know that yours came well, I really apreciate this.

Does the neck feel sticky thou, cause if it is when I get mine I will refinish.
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
Nope, not sticky.
There was some dirt or some kinda grease between some of the frets, but that came off.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Since the body has a swimming pool cavity, will this affect the tone alot?
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
It shouldn't.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Will_Minus
UG's nail-head-hitter
 
Will_Minus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
It will effect the tone, but it will be hard to notice.
__________________
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Will_Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Minus
It will effect the tone, but it will be hard to notice.


What about an empty space at the cavity, since I don't feel like having 3 pups, would it affect sustain or extra feedback?
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
Will_Minus
UG's nail-head-hitter
 
Will_Minus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Having less pickups would probably improve sustain, as there is less magnetic force pulling the strings.
__________________
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Will_Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Minus
Having less pickups would probably improve sustain, as there is less magnetic force pulling the strings.



Good to know, as you guys probably noticed this is my first project, so there will be a few simple questions.
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
*Bump*

So I've been able to get tickets to Montreal, so the project should start in 2 weeks or so, I have pretty much decided on a swirl paint job and that's about it, give me your opinions on hardware and eletronics.

I want a good Death Metal distortion for the bridge and good cleans and shred from the neck ( Bareknuckles are out of my price range)
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Justin Credible
Registered User
 
Justin Credible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
For the bridge get an X2N, It's what Chuck used. I couldn't tell you to get in the neck position. If you wanna go active I'd suggest an EMG 81-60 set for the cleans.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
 
Alexander_BR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible
For the bridge get an X2N, It's what Chuck used. I couldn't tell you to get in the neck position. If you wanna go active I'd suggest an EMG 81-60 set for the cleans.



I was really thinkming about getting the X2N, but people seem to have very different opinions on it, for the neck I think it's gonna be a Paf Pro or Air Norton. I don't think I'll get EMGs on this one, might not sound good on poplar.
__________________
UG's Brazilian Dude
Alexander_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_BR
*Bump*

So I've been able to get tickets to Montreal, so the project should start in 2 weeks or so, I have pretty much decided on a swirl paint job and that's about it, give me your opinions on hardware and eletronics.

I want a good Death Metal distortion for the bridge and good cleans and shred from the neck ( Bareknuckles are out of my price range)

Congrats! I bet you can't wait to work on that thing. Make sure you post vids like this guy Gustavo Guerra

__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
Or maybe pics for us dial up people.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.